FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

German Shepherd

jeromep
I want to own a German Shepherd. Can you help me by posting any useful information in training and owning this dog. Thank you frihosters. Smile
Anticollie
Hmm, my Aunt had two of them, they were very loyal pets, and also very protective. They do work hard for their masters, and from what I have seen, develop a strong bond with their owners.

Their fur is very thick, with a thick, alsmot water-proof top layer, and matty-fur underneath, although they are quite orderly and neat, form what I've seen.

They seemed to be pretty smart, and playful, so it'd be best to jog them everyday, and maybe play some ball, teaching them a few tricks wouldn't be a bad idea either.

They never had a problem with their dogs and their kids- but again, this is all basically from what i've seen, and they look like a joy to own, you'll get attached in a heart beat!

Anticollie.
jeromep
Smile Thanks Anticollie.
indianinworld
Identify the Breed of the Dog and Train it accordingly.

PS - Only very good Bred German Sheperd gods are considered to have an strong sense of Obedience and Loyalty to the Owner. If your German Sheperd is very aggressive or is violent towards you, then it is because of the reason that it is a poor Breed.

You man visit this website for more information - www.germanshepherds.com/

I have not worked on the Contents of the Website. But it is the Official website of German Sheperds Smile.

You may also visit their Forums - http://www.germanshepherds.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php more more help.

Keep Smiling...
matrixuk321
i had one and it was cool but just recently it died of a brain tumor Sad
was nice to everyone even cats!!!!
fashioncrimewave
I think the attitude of GS's is very related to their training and treatment in a family.

I adopted a few-year-old GS mix from a stray rescue org. He is very loving and protective, but probably too protective. When we take him out of his usual environment he normally behaves OK, but if anyone comes over to our house he will bark incessantly and try to bite their legs.

If you are getting a GS as a puppy then I think this will not be a problem.
Annush_K
GSD's are pretty easy to train, unless anything's wrong with their mental health. I've seen several GSD's being trained in agility, rom the beginner stages to an advanced level. They were extremely obedient and understanding, but unlike border collies they usually think before they do something and don't just blindly follow the human. They seem to have some 'pride' as well. They don't tolerate people being rude to them, and may become stubborn and just ignore you if they think you offend them. However, they are awesome dogs to work with. I like intelligent dogs. Smile
cloudship
matrixuk321 wrote:
i had one and it was cool but just recently it died of a brain tumor Sad
was nice to everyone even cats!!!!

the same like my dog, afraid of my cat Wink
Motoracer380
god i hate german sheppards i got bit by one right in the but...but they are soo pretty...i like siberian huskys the best
Annush_K
Motoracer380 wrote:
god i hate german sheppards i got bit by one right in the but...

I don't think hating the breed for one of them biting you is a right position. It's always the fault of the man, not the dog, if it attacks people. If I hated all the breeds that bit me, I'd hate almost all of them xD I spent several years on agility and obedience trainings, and had been attacked several times. Luckily, no dog ever made me any serious damage.
rachelisntlost
German Shepherds are absolutely wonderful dogs. I have one, my mother had one, my father had one... really, they run in the family Smile

DEFINITELY get a puppy and raise it yourself- they are amazingly obedient, loyal and like someone else said, really do have a sense of pride. Easy to train too. They are gentle with babies and kids of all ages, and really anyone that will give them attention. They KNOW, however, when someone is being menacing and is potentially dangerous, and will bark and growl at them. They also know when you are upset, and will try to comfort you and lick your tears away.

One thing though-- find a breeder that breeds GERMAN German Shepherds, not American ones. The true German ones do not have as many common hip problems and are slightly smaller, and often live longer. The American breed is WAY over bred, so there are a lot more problems, and you'll probably end up with your heart broken if you get an American one.

German Shepherds truly are the best dog you could have by your side Smile
Annush_K
rachelisntlost wrote:
One thing though-- find a breeder that breeds GERMAN German Shepherds, not American ones. The true German ones do not have as many common hip problems and are slightly smaller, and often live longer. The American breed is WAY over bred, so there are a lot more problems, and you'll probably end up with your heart broken if you get an American one.

Good point, Rachelisntlost. Unfortunately, breeding show-perfect dogs often leads to problems like that, in any breed. Confused I dislike it when breeders sacrifise working qualities and health for some beauty standard. It could be acceptable with toy breeds, but with working and hunting it really decreases the overall level of the breed.
rachelisntlost
Yeah, I find that totally ridiculous, to put the dog in higher risk of disease, just to win medals and trophies? The dog isn't the one winning them... it's the human making their dog pretty who is really getting those trophies.

I mean, my German Shepherd is BEAUTIFUL and she isn't overbred. Her mother, father and other family have won dog shows and awards everywhere, and none of them are bred FOR the shows.
hlavco
My parents had a German Shepherd, and he was a great dog. Protective and obedient. One time he bit some guy who was trying to rob our garage when nobody was home (of course the guy tried to sue. Jerk.).

Right now we have a White German Shepherd. Different breed, it's just a pure white Shepherd. They're more mellow than the regular kind, but they still like to play and have fun.
paul_indo
German Sherperds are great, although I prefer Rottweillers.

They can sometimes be dangerous, but I think that is more the fault of the owner.
Treat a dog well and it will behave well.
Blaster
Well i had a germen sheperd. It was my most well behaved dog. It didn't need much attention or anything like that and it had no problem being in a crate. They truely are good dogs. And i seen one that the guy brushed it like twice a day and it looked really pretty.

Just treat the dog with respect and it will treat you with respect.

I still wish i had my german sheperd Crying or Very sad
AutoTechGuy
We have a GS/mutt mix (we're thinking GS/Malamute/and Boxer).. one of the neatest dogs I've ever seen.

We also have two cats.. and when no one is looking i'll catch the three of them snuggling together on the dog bed.

He's very smart.. and VERY loyal. I like to play rough with him, and in the process sometimes his tooth will catch part of my hand and I cringe because of the pain, but he realizes this and stops IMMEDIATELY. He's also smart enough to know the different between playing rough and really getting ticked off. When he starts to get too rough he'll run and grab his favorite toy "ducky" and keep it in his mouth the whole time we play... so he doesn't accidentally bite us.

He does tad to be a bit too protective.. he's very sensitive and doesn't like anyone to get hurt. My wife and I will be play wrestling... and if he feels we're playing too rough he's step in and get between us and if that doesn't work he'll start growling and barking. I've tested it though to see how far he'll go and although he'll start to snap at me, he never attacks me.

Same thing goes when I play with the cats in an "inappropriate" manor. He's more protective over the cats I think than us sometimes! He also gets along well with other dogs. We are fostering another mutt named Charity. They are best friends.

The only thing I worry about is if we have someone new over, he get's a little aggressive when they come in the door, but once he notices our approval of that person he chills out and goes into "love on me" mode.
jobu
indianinworld wrote:
Identify the Breed of the Dog and Train it accordingly.

PS - Only very good Bred German Sheperd gods are considered to have an strong sense of Obedience and Loyalty to the Owner. If your German Sheperd is very aggressive or is violent towards you, then it is because of the reason that it is a poor Breed.

You man visit this website for more information - www.germanshepherds.com/

I have not worked on the Contents of the Website. But it is the Official website of German Sheperds Smile.

You may also visit their Forums - http://www.germanshepherds.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php more more help.

Keep Smiling...

^ One of the dumbest things I have ever read ^

Raise it from a puppy, don't leave it alone outdoors to grow. Dogs are pack animals and without a pack dogs tend to go a bit insane.

Shepards are incredible dogs. Intellegent, Loyal and obediant. They loved to be trained, and I mean that. They take pride in learning as wierd as that my sound. The bond with their owner as well. My shepard and me had a bond that I have never had with any other dog. Many times while hiking he would resond to me clicking my lips without commands. Somehow he always knew what I wanted him to do.
rainmaker
Hello,

I saw your post, and I thought I'd take a moment to respond. We just had a German Shepherd, but we had to find a new home when I went to college. You see that they are extremely gregarious animals and need lots of attention (at least ours did). When they are raised with this attention, it's very difficult for them to live without it all of a sudden.

On the flip side of the coin, German Shepherds are also very affectionate. They are extremely loyal to their owners. Our other German Shepherd (who regrettably died just the other year from old age) would not have even dreamed of leaving the house even when we went on week-long trips! She even knew enough to go in the weeds before defecating. Considering we never trained her, this is remarkable.

So, to summarize, I would have to say that a German Shepherd would be an excellent choice for a dog. Just make sure you can provide plenty of attention and care, as you would any other pet. In exchange, the dog will provide many years of love and loyalty.

If you have any further questions, feel free to contact me!

--rainmaker

P.S. I should add that we didn't leave our dog completely unattended while we were away--our friends looked after her and fed her. Leaving the dog without attention is just BAD!
TreasuredTrinkets
Hi There,
I saw this post and had to put in my 2 cents. (of course) First I have to say that German Shepherds are an awesome, intellegent, and beautiful dog.

One thing you must take into consideration is that they are a working breed. And as such you must realize that they NEED to have something to do. You as the owner will have to provide that. This dog will not be happy living as a couch potato. If you can spend at least an hour a day working him (walking,playing fetch,training) then he will be a wonderful pet for you. They need mental stimulation as well, they are very smart dogs.

They are in that 'dangerous dog' list, which I think is stupid by the way. (I own a pitt bull and he is the most affectionate dog I have ever had. It's the dog owner not the breed.) But since they have been 'labeled' this dog is a big responsibility. You must be able to control him, for his sake as well as yours. That being said, its very simple to do since they are so smart and loyal. Just treat him well and give him plenty to do.

I could go on forever on this subject but I will spare you all and stop now.

ps if you watch the dog whisperer he has tons of insight on the best training methods, he confirmed many ideas I had and gave me some new ones that I have put into use as well