FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Bosses

hunterm
Most people hate (or dislike - hate is a strong word) their boss. I've often heard of most management reffered to as idiots. But how can such idiots get to positions of such responsibility without actually being quite intelligent.

Maybe they're not as stupid as many of us think Confused
ocalhoun
My boss is nice enough, but the reason we think our bosses are idiots would be a combination of bosses needing to make tough decisions and the peter priciple.
-Bosses sometimes have to make decisions (such as saying you don't get a raise) that are good for the company, but unpopular with employees.
-People often rise to thier level of incompetence (the peter priciple). You see, someone does well in their job, they get promoted. This gets repeated until they get to a job they can't handle, where they cease to be promoted; thereby staying in the same position in which they suck.
Vrythramax
I agree to a certain point....but you haven't met my boss Wink

@ocalhoun...the "peter principle" Laughing
mtoni
I have my 'boss'

She's the principle of our school and she is just too annoying..
She thinks that it's great to do something new blablabla and it all results in extra work for the students Sad
Jayfarer
Bosses get into their position in a number of ways that don't relate to intelligence. They may be there because of seniority, or because they have good connections. Maybe they only seem smart but lack common sense. Just becuase someone is in a higher position, in no way, means they are smarter or better for the job.
Lady_Star
My boss is the best person I know. I can always depend on my boss for what ever I need when ever I need it. I like my boss just the way my boss is there is very little if anything that I would change about my boss I guess you could say I love my boss.

You might be wondering just who my boss is that I speak and think so highly of them... well, I am my own boss I have my own business and I just love it.

I have had the "idiot" bosses over the years but am so much happier in my work now that I have my own business.
rhathar
My boss isn't an idiot normally, but shouldn't be the general manager of a hotel. So as far as work is concerned, she IS an idiot. The thing is, she didn't "rise to her potential". She went to college on her parents money to get a degree in Creative Writing, and then inherited the hotel. Umm... what?

Bleh.
tijn01
Being a boss isn't an easy job, it sounds nice enough, telling your staff everything to do and then just relax and let them do the work. Reality is often different, especially if the manager (boss) has to answer to the owners of the bussiness. As a manager you are often in between two parties, the owners, and the staff. The owners are often only interested in the money the can make and will tell you off if you don't meet your figures, the staff often wants the opposite, more wage, more free days etc. The key to being a succesful boss is keeping all parties happy and be honest and upstraight with your staff.
DoctorBeaver
tijn01 wrote:
Being a boss isn't an easy job, it sounds nice enough, telling your staff everything to do and then just relax and let them do the work. Reality is often different, especially if the manager (boss) has to answer to the owners of the bussiness. As a manager you are often in between two parties, the owners, and the staff. The owners are often only interested in the money the can make and will tell you off if you don't meet your figures, the staff often wants the opposite, more wage, more free days etc. The key to being a succesful boss is keeping all parties happy and be honest and upstraight with your staff.

That is the most intelligent, considered post I've read today. Well said.

However, it's true that a lot of bosses ARE idiots who got to be where they are via the "old school tie" and not through ability.
thegolfmarkets
hunterm wrote:
Most people hate (or dislike - hate is a strong word) their boss. I've often heard of most management reffered to as idiots. But how can such idiots get to positions of such responsibility without actually being quite intelligent.

Maybe they're not as stupid as many of us think Confused

My first boss is my wife. Then my son. Then my customers. I have alot of bosses and I love them all. JM
Vrythramax
Bosses are like buttholes....we all have them, and most of them stink. Laughing
S3nd K3ys
My boss is cool. Definately one of the better ones I've had. Most have been decent.

A lot of it is how you act/react, so blaming the boss for doing their job is unfair. Some are dicks, for sure, but most, (I've had over 20 different ones) are decent for the most part.
standready
Lady_Star wrote:
My boss is the best person I know. I can always depend on my boss for what ever I need when ever I need it. I like my boss just the way my boss is there is very little if anything that I would change about my boss I guess you could say I love my boss.

You might be wondering just who my boss is that I speak and think so highly of them... well, I am my own boss I have my own business and I just love it.

I have had the "idiot" bosses over the years but am so much happier in my work now that I have my own business.

I as well am my own boss? Actually, no! My customers are my bosses. Most know exactly what they DON'T want when they see it but don't give a clue about what they really need.

At least in my other business I am my own boss. (I should fire myself-LOL)

My last place I worked, my boss must have something on the business owner. My boss's secretary had something on him. Games - I quit.

"Those who can't do, lead those who can."
jdaniel0903
Hi,
in Colombia when someone is making a bad job as boss, we say:
"el que manda manda aunque mande mal".
Wich means: The one that is on charge, take his own desicions, and that are THE DESICIONS.. doesn't matter if the decisions are aweful.
Vrythramax
Some descions can affect us Smile
Juparis
Ah, still being part of the fast food biz (hey, it's a job, alright?), I have several managers instead of a single boss. Most are bearable, but there were some great ones in the past. I mean really fun, and caring for how we are, and not how fast we're making the food (even if that is the true objective). Sadly enough, those managers didn't appreciate the others, and left to go back to school.

Becoming the manager of any fast food restaurant is easy-business, if you're dedicated. But it takes a lot to put up with the eternal "go faster!" and "clean that up!" (whether it's coming from your mouth or someone else's). Wink