FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

What's the oldest book you've read?

ocalhoun
Anybody here read old books?
The book I've read that was written longest ago is 'Don Qixote',
while the physicly oldest book I've read (and I'm still reading it) is an orginal printing of the first English translation of 'Balzac's Droll Stories' (Privately printed in 1873).
goutha
Actually, the oldest one was the bible.

But I've read Gustave Flaubert 'Madame Bobary' written in late 1700. A very interesting book.
rip8fan1
I think my oldest one would be:

The Odyssey, by Homer

Written around 800 B.C.E.

you can read it here (among other places):

http://etext.library.adelaide.edu.au/mirror/classics.mit.edu/Homer/odyssey.html
Yantaal
i read some book dated aprox 2005/6, that was pushing it.

Although i do read some comics from like 1985, andolder.
biedr0na666
i have a small tome of Polish poetry, dated 1775 i think.. nice hardback, the paper is still surprisingly white, although of course has signs of time. i guess they used to print them on much better paper than they do nowadays.
tried to read a bit of it, but that poetry isn't anything good.. there have been much better, but the fact remains that this is the oldest book my family posesses right now.
and my grandparents used to have lots of old books, but all of that they had to leave behind during wwII...
nilsmo
rip8fan1 wrote:
I think my oldest one would be:

The Odyssey, by Homer

Written around 800 B.C.E.

you can read it here (among other places):

http://etext.library.adelaide.edu.au/mirror/classics.mit.edu/Homer/odyssey.html

Good post.. Only one problem: the translation is much more recent. Same thing with the Bible...

I'm reading A Tale of Two Cities, from the 19th century. That is the unedited version, so it must count.
althalus
Hmm I think it'd have to be The Inferno, by Dante Alighieri, but since I read a translation I guess it's not so old after all.
Shin
Surely the Bible isn't the oldest book. Any book written in B.C. would have been earlier than it. Smile

Are manuscripts uncovered from under the earth consider books? Smile
Traveller
Shin wrote:
Surely the Bible isn't the oldest book. Any book written in B.C. would have been earlier than it. Smile

The Old-Testament portion of the Bible was written in B.C.

The oldest, physical books (i.e. the actual books, not reprinted contents) that I've browsed (but not read completely) were a large number of books from the 15 and 1600s in a special section of the library of the Orlando branch of Reformed Theological Seminary. In fact, the professor to whom those belonged kept his own, prized, private possession, a real first edition of the French edition of Calvin's Institutes (1541), on the desk in his office.

Otherwise, the oldest book I own is a second edition (which was only six months after the first edition) of The Memoirs and Remains of the Rev. Robert Murray M'Cheyne by Andrew Bonar - 1844, and I have read that completely.
Shaffyre
Traveller wrote:
Shin wrote:

The Old-Testament portion of the Bible was written in B.C.

The oldest, physical books (i.e. the actual books, not reprinted contents) that I've browsed (but not read completely) were a large number of books from the 15 and 1600s in a special section of the library of the Orlando branch of Reformed Theological Seminary. In fact, the professor to whom those belonged kept his own, prized, private possession, a real first edition of the French edition of Calvin's Institutes (1541), on the desk in his office.

Otherwise, the oldest book I own is a second edition (which was only six months after the first edition) of The Memoirs and Remains of the Rev. Robert Murray M'Cheyne by Andrew Bonar - 1844, and I have read that completely.

That first edition of "Calvin's Institutes" must be a treasured possesion! Surprised

The oldest book in translated and re-published form I've read is the Bible of course. I've read it in Dutch (my native language), Afrikaans (from South Africa) and in English. I have the Hebrew Bible in digital format and I'm currently trying to learn Hebrew so that I can read it in it's original language. Of course this means I'll have to learn Greek when I get to the New Testament.

The oldest book I've read was a 1921 edition of "Tarzan the Apeman".
evanc88
I have a lot of old Poetry magazine issues (some from 1920s, lots from the 1960s), and I've read those. The oldest by time, however, would probably be the Odyssey by Homer, or maybe Antigone by Sophocles. Physically, however, I read a textbook of world history published in 1899 or so. It was pretty interesting, really. Found it at a yard sale.
Arseniy
Odyssey, but I think, Elder Edda is elder Very Happy .
Also I read magazine 1900 year from tsarist Russia. Funny! All texts are about tsar and nothing about people or even 1900 year. Just small article about worldwide exhibition in Paris.
Solo Turco
I am reading a book (I haven't finished yet) named "The garden of lovers, the stroll of the sicks (who feel yearn)". This book was written nearly in 1300 by Ibnu'l Kayyum al Javziyya.

I think it is a very nice book, but hard to find its translation.
ArthurBenevicci
The Bible is indeed probably the oldest I've read.
HoboPelican
Hmm, well the oldest story I read was the Epic of Gilgamesh (between 2750 and 2500 BC), but that hardly qualifies as a book. I wouldnt call the individual books of the old testament books in the normal sense either.

I do own a number of old books, but nothing remarkable.
A few examples:
Civil Government, first ed 1901 (text book)
Library of wit and humor 2nd ed 1901
The Readers Handbook 1st ed 1910. (nice book, scaned it a lot when I was younger.

I also have a old Boy Scout Handbook from the 1910s maybe. It is in too bad of shape for me to dig out.
freecitizen
Yeah, I read the Epic of Gilgamesh too.

Republic by Plato?

The Quran? The Bible?
Josso
Only 80s I think... mine don't go very far back Sad

Can anyone suggest some crazy universe theories and such that could be older like... 19th century and things?
MYP415
The oldest books I've read are beowulf and the odessey but they were both translated. The oldest non translated writing that I've read and can think of is probably romeo and juliet (or maybe antigone but that was probably translated too).
defnet
Wow, a whole bunch of people who read the bible. Me too.
It's a good book, but I'm easily bored when reading it...which is a bad thing.
I try to regularly read it...(ever night before I sleep -- It's my bedtime story book)

Cool ByTheWay: Did any of you ever open the Book of Salomon in the Bible!
The Bible says that Salomon was the wisest guy ever...hmmmmmm
Shaffyre
defnet wrote:
I try to regularly read it...(ever night before I sleep -- It's my bedtime story book)

I find the Bible a very interesting book to read. All that history and adventures. Most of all, the best message ever, Jesus loves you, so much in fact that He has died for your sins! You can read all about it in the Bible. All the promises, hope, love but also hardship and temptation of those who followed God. Joseph was sold of as a slave by his very own brothers but he became a mighty man in Egypt and in return he was able to help his people when there was starvation. Moses was placed on the river Nile in a basket to escape being killed by a wicked pharaoh. He became a prince of Egypt and was chosen by God to lead his people out of Egypt. David was a mere shepherd but he slayed the giant Goliath and he became king of Israel. There are so many more such stories and adventures. From Adam and Eve, Abraham, Isaac, Jacob and Esau, Ruth and Naomi, Peter, John, Paul, the list goes on and on and on. Of course no book is complete without the bad guys and in the Bible we find the worst of all, the Devil himself as well as all those who didn't love and follow God. When reading the Bible, set your heart and imagination free and it certainly will not be boring!
Jayfarer
I was going to say Gilgamesh until one of you pointed out it's not a book. Now I'm not sure what to say. Probably some greek mythology.
vanille
The physically oldest book I've ever held (yeah, that doesn't really count but yeah) dated back to the early 1700s. I was in the library of the Supreme Court of the national government for a school exposure trip. I didn't exactly hold it, but I touched it and the PIGMENT CAME OFF.

But besides that...it's got to be the Bible. Surprised
defnet
Shaffyre wrote:
defnet wrote:

I find the Bible a very interesting book to read. All that history and adventures. Most of all, the best message ever, Jesus loves you, so much in fact that He has died for your sins! You can read all about it in the Bible. All the promises, hope, love but also hardship and temptation of those who followed God. Joseph was sold of as a slave by his very own brothers but he became a mighty man in Egypt and in return he was able to help his people when there was starvation. Moses was placed on the river Nile in a basket to escape being killed by a wicked pharaoh. He became a prince of Egypt and was chosen by God to lead his people out of Egypt. David was a mere shepherd but he slayed the giant Goliath and he became king of Israel. There are so many more such stories and adventures. From Adam and Eve, Abraham, Isaac, Jacob and Esau, Ruth and Naomi, Peter, John, Paul, the list goes on and on and on. Of course no book is complete without the bad guys and in the Bible we find the worst of all, the Devil himself as well as all those who didn't love and follow God. When reading the Bible, set your heart and imagination free and it certainly will not be boring!

You're right! Those stories are interesting. But I mean that the other important lessons like Proverbs and other wise lessons sometimes are quite uninteresting to read. They are very important but sometimes not so interesting to read...
I do know stories like David and Goliath and I like the parables alot. Im a Christian and I goto church alot but honestly... sometimes it is kinda hard to find all part of the Bible as interesting. I just like a few part and some I don't (which doesn't mean that I consider them unimportant) Smile
gameantics
I would say the oldest book I've read would be Beowulf or maybe the Iliad but aren't those both considered "Epic Poems" and not books although books are a hazy title in general...
evanc88
gameantics wrote:
I would say the oldest book I've read would be Beowulf or maybe the Iliad but aren't those both considered "Epic Poems" and not books although books are a hazy title in general...

I think the title just meant old pieces of literature in general. I'd definitely say those count. I have to read Beowulf by Thursday, and I"m highly unmotivated to do so. Should I be?
INeedHelp
Yeah, I am going to go with the oldest "Novel", and say probably Frankenstein. I have read older works like Beowulf, Paradise Lost, etc. But those are epic poems... I have read a lot of the Bible, but I don't consider it a "Book", just because it is a bunch of "Books" written at different times...I'm not bashing it by any means, just stating how I classify it haha!
palavra
the oldest book that i read is "mesnevi" of

mevlana celaleddin rumi was printed in istanbul in 1892

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Masnavi

http://www.dar-al-masnavi.org/about_masnavi.html
imera
The oldest book I have, in it's original form is from the beginning of the 18th-centery.. bot that is not the oldest book I have read.

And about the bible, I have read that one to but I don't think you can say taht you have read that one because it is a religion, and then people read their book.

I have read alot from shakespeare and other old writers from his age... but I always forget who, I have a really bad memory (that's why I have written them down somewhere)
But that is in words I do understand...

In school we have gotten a project about reading old Norwegian, which is really hard to understand... but I'm not sure when that book was written.

I have read alot from the 15-18 centery there was alot of good books at that time, even if I had difficulties understanding it :0P
sondosia
Well, Romeo and Juliet isn't technically a book, but it was in book form so I guess it counts. Very Happy That'd be the oldest book I've ever read, at least that I can think of off the top of my head.

~M~
RoughitforGreen247
Hmm, The Bible is pretty old. And I've read The Art of War. There was also a collection of Roman epics I read a while ago and was thoroughly impressed with, including one about two warriors who held this bridge against several hundred invaders for something like a day and two nights. Solid reads.
johanfh
Ok, I also have read the Bible, and part of it in Hebrew, the original language Wink
And I've read the Gilgamesh epos, in old Babylonian. But speaking of books in print the oldest book I had in my hands was from 1504 or something (I work in a library so I see old books many times a month Wink) The oldest book I own and have read is a Dutch one, called 'De kleine Esopus'.
It was printed in 1840 and holds a lot of stories about animals.

JohanFH

Note: old books are cool: if you hold it, think about the fact that 500 years ago someone touched that same book and also read it! And 400 years ago also, etc. etc.
Crazy_Canuck
Beowulf is the oldest "book", probably that I've read ... in the original Olde English.

And then some Chaucer in the original Middle English.

But my Olde and Middle English is currently very rusty, so don't test me on it!
Ranti84
I've read over Beowulf and Chaucer's tales as well.

May not be as old, but I'm still trying to work my way through a version (middle/old english?) of Le Morte d'Arthur by Mallory....such a pain >_<
Crazy_Canuck
Ranti84 wrote:
May not be as old, but I'm still trying to work my way through a version (middle/old english?) of Le Morte d'Arthur by Mallory....such a pain >_<

Oh, the Arthurian legends!! Love 'em, but haven't read that. Yeah, I think that's middle English -- 15th C, isn't it?

Are you a literature student, by any chance? Or are you doing this just for fun? Wink
Kev01234
In school we went over the odessey and the Iliad. Both of which I believe were written in B.C.. So they are probably the oldest ive ever read. Does cave painting or Egyptian stuff count? Ive seen some of that stuff although I couldn't really read it.
elincinerador
it might be antigona.. but i don't remember when it was written, the ancient greece for sure
Serafina
Uhh, parts of the Torah would be the oldest things I've ever read.

But for a complete book, it would probably be Sophocles. Even though those were plays written in verse form.
magneto_ms
never too much into oldies.. mine must be sherlock holmes i believe..
meet in rio
The Bible, I suppose.

The oldest things not in translation would be bits of The Aeneid, and Horace's first book of odes, although poetry probably doesn't count. No idea about English books. I can't think of anything before the 1600s at the moment.
MYP415
The oldest books I have read are Beowulf and The odessey
Holy
Well if you mean a book with the oldest content then I would have to say the Bible. Very Happy