FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Great inventions/discoveries yet to be invented/discovered

hunterm
I'm looking for a new colour or maybe a new note in the musical scale. Anyone else got any great ideas. Very Happy
ocalhoun
Any colour visible to the human eye and every note audible to the human ear has been done before. If you go outside this range, it is probably still already done. (such as infared and ultrasonic)

I suppose you could have something that is an intermediate between two colors or notes that have been tried before, but what difference there was would be undetectable to human senses (People wouldn't be able to tell it from the ones that have been done before).

The only way you can still have something original is to have new combinations of these things, which is called art.
David_Pardy
I don't know why they haven't stuck big dishes on the tops of buildings connected to a system of pipes to channel the coastal rains into the poorly positioned dams here in Australia.

This water crisis would have been solved long before it started if they'd done that 15 years ago Wink.
ocalhoun
Well, seeing as how we live in the information age now, new ideas (good ones) are quite valuable.
Things I'm working on:
Morphilogical Freedom
-probability manipulation
-genetic manipulation
-immersive virtual reality
No electricity usage food preservation device
Ultimate Off-road vehicle
Analogue computer
Luminal computer
Floating Island

Out of those, the only I've made definite progress on is the food preservation device, which I have built a working prototype of. I won't give any details, though. Its not patented.
standready
An inexpensive fuel and endless power supply.
David_Pardy
I'd laugh at you for your idea of an analog computer but the chairman of IBM laughed at the idea of more than 5 computers in the whole world Wink.

You have some interesting ideas Wink. It would be interesting to see them come to fruition.
ocalhoun
True, it wouldn't really be a true analog computer, but it would use fuzzy logic natively. Instead of 1's and 0's it would have say, 0's, 1's, 2's, 3's, 4's ,5's ...
Hopefully I could stack enough of these to have one bit be the equivilant of one byte on a normal computer. (Up to 256 possible values) That would make it 8 times faster and store 8 times more data than a normal computer.
TheSpaniard
I think it's one of man's best intellectual landmarks is the recent invention of the cylinder shapped ice cubes that can fit in the spout of about any water bottle. Too many times have I seen people fight the 'square peg, round hole' epidemic. Back to kindergarden for all of us. Twisted Evil Only now may we be able to bump out heads on vanities and understand the flux capacitor.
rileyvace
I think maybe....

8 pack of bread buns to go with the 8 pack of hotdogs.
CrimsonStrange
LoL Laughing
I like rileyvace's idea, myself.
We need more common-sense inventions, I think.
How about a knob on a television set to turn up the level of intelligence?
Well, come to think of it... there's already a button that'll do that - it's marked POWER.

Maybe a standard loaf-sized bread container that'll easily fit in your fridge or on the countertop that'll remove all the air out of a bread bag to inhibit mold growth, without crushing the loaf?

How about a button-sized device that you can wear in crowded places that'll detect surrounding idiots?

George Carlin came up with a good list of inventions that would make life more interesting.
ocalhoun
CrimsonStrange wrote:

Maybe a standard loaf-sized bread container that'll easily fit in your fridge or on the countertop that'll remove all the air out of a bread bag to inhibit mold growth, without crushing the loaf?

That'll be easily replaced by my abovementioned invention. It removes not all the air, just all the types of air that mold and bacteria need.
AG007
standready wrote:
An inexpensive fuel and endless power supply.

Yeah, I have been thinking about that, I am sure earth can provide that, but many of us spend time in entertaitment and other stuff.
I think if more people would be scientist or just had great ideas, I think we would be exploring out the solar system already, actually outside the solar system.
ocalhoun
^ We already are; the voyager probe has left the solar system, while many other probes are exploring it.
What about our solar system do we not know?
The next front should be exploiting the solar system.
AG007
ocalhoun wrote:
^ We already are; the voyager probe has left the solar system, while many other probes are exploring it.
What about our solar system do we not know?
The next front should be exploiting the solar system.

This is type of mind I am talkin about, we need more ambition guys.
I was talking about a crew of people exploring other planets, finding new mineral. They will ride in a big box, that would had supplies for a least a years expedision (yes a pretty big box). For that we need fuel!!!
Yes, we are exploring, but I think is to slow.

I was thinking, since in space there is almost no friction. Fuel use well be less there, and great speeds could be attain. Am I right?
ocalhoun
I'm not lacking in ambition here; I'm suggesting that instead of exploration, we pursue exploitation, such as mining asteroids or harvesting hydrogen gas from Jupiter.
The main thing I think we're waiting on here is propulsion more efficient than burning rocket fuel. Using nuclear explosions for propulsion is what I think is most promising, but that'll have to wait for the further proliferation of nuclear technology, to which, there are many obstacles to progress.
Exander
I think the idea of mining asteroids makes good sense, the technological aspect of it, however, is a bit beyond our reach.

Assuming we could get a sizable asteroid, one worth mining, within the
Earth's gravity without plunging it into the atmoshpere, it may work. Two things that might inhibit it's usefulness is a fuel-efficient way to cart the ore and minerals planetside. You might end up with negative return vs the time, energy, manpower and raw fuel spent to acquire a single load of material.

There's also the issue of turning the space around the planet into a virtual minefield. Dust, debris, small rocks, even broken tools could end up orbiting the planet going hundreds of miles an hour, enough to down shuttles and satellites.

Of course, by the time we were able to accomplish this feat of engineering, I imagine we could contain to worksite enough to make this a non-issue.

Interesting idea, though not somewhere I'd enjoy working. I hear Earth side mining is difficult enough Wink
Exander
AG007:

Quote:
I was thinking, since in space there is almost no friction. Fuel use well be less there, and great speeds could be attain. Am I right

That's true, but fuel also needs to be spent to slow down, as well as return. There's nowhere where they'd be going to refuel, so much of the cargo would be taken up with raw fuel.

There would certainly need to be a greenhouse or a replenishable food source on board.

Someone else mentioned nuclear fuel, and that seems the most contained and powerful way to travel through space.

I've seen solar powered designs, and even designs with enormous sails that are meant to ride on solar winds, much like a ship catches the winds on the sea. The were having design problems employing that because of deployment (it would have to be huge!), the fact that they'd have to use a conventional means to return since they'd be going against the "wind" and also space dust and debris shredding the sail.
Josso
Fusion power Laughing

It's verging into the science forum.
ocalhoun
^Yes, that is being developed as well, and is far more powerful than fission, but they are also working on antimatter propulsion, which has the highest power-to-fuel-weight ratio of any propulsion.

I said just everyday nuclear because we have the technology to do so already. Fusion and antimatter have yet to be used efficiently. (I suppose you could use thermonuclear explosions, and use fusion in that way...)
Aless
How do you know if they're great if they haven't been discovered/invented yet?
ocalhoun
Aless wrote:
How do you know if they're great if they haven't been discovered/invented yet?

Prediction, guesswork, and hunches.