FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Investing tips

hunterm
Not sure if this is the correct place to post this query but what regular sources of information do we all trust for learning about investing and keeping up to date? At the moment I rely on: Weekend FT Investors Chronicle Motley Fool The problem is we are constantly bombarded with new and exciting sounding sources. And if you're anything like me you want to read all of it, which is just confusing and time consuming! So, what do you all read?
LukeakaDanish
hunterm wrote:
Not sure if this is the correct place to post this query but what regular sources of information do we all trust for learning about investing and keeping up to date? At the moment I rely on: Weekend FT Investors Chronicle Motley Fool The problem is we are constantly bombarded with new and exciting sounding sources. And if you're anything like me you want to read all of it, which is just confusing and time consuming! So, what do you all read?

I am actually very interested in this as well, as me and my friends have a 500kr (90$ approx) stake on who does the best in an online stock-investment game.

Please share your "trusted sources" Smile
Detremmerie
Financial Times and Wall Street Journal Europe. Those are the two essentials in getting a quick market overview. Next to that, I read Reuters.com and Bloomberg to see live coverage.
But if you invest in particular markets, like commodities, you have much more specialized newssources, which are lacking in FT and WSJ.
bluefossil
I personally don't trust any of the publications. I think they are all frauds. How can someone recommend a "strong buy" then sell majority of it 2-3 months down the road? My theory is they bought the shares 6 months ago and when they want to sell, they just post a "buy" to get the public interested and to raise the price. Then SELL to maximize profit. Those sneaky b@stards!
ORVAL
What I'm sure about is: do not trust the spams tellin you: this stock is gona explode within days. I have made a little medium term test. All of the stocks have sunk during the next 4 weeks. I think they try to use us to keep a price quite high, while selling themselves...

Sometimes I,ve found good opportunities by decoding some advertisement giving a description of the publication I would have to buy. An hour on google gave me the name of the stock. Example : Cemex (CX) and AdAPWL.PK.
I bought Cemex at 47 and sell it 63. APWL was 0.5 sold 0.75.
But it is still risky business.
Detremmerie
Ifyou have the certainty they all sink, why don't you go short then? Laughing
indeedwrestling
"The Economist" is a fine resort. Of course, reading "Wall Street Journal" and "Investor's Business daily" were the newspaper that we checked daily when I worked for a money management firm.
irinaonline
don't trust the small-caps investor newsletters. all small-caps-companies have one thing in common: no money!!!

2 from 3 of small-caps disappear within a year. and the reason, why the chart is moving is the hype generated by newsletters from the investor-companies.

my experience showed me, that you should invest only in big and trusted companies and the sources for information should be selected to sources, which have no interest, that you buy such titles (magazines, online infos from broker, investment houses and so).

if you are subscribed to such small-caps-newsletters, do the only right thing and unsubscribe as quickly as you can.
indeedwrestling
irinaonline wrote:
don't trust the small-caps investor newsletters. all small-caps-companies have one thing in common: no money!!!

2 from 3 of small-caps disappear within a year. and the reason, why the chart is moving is the hype generated by newsletters from the investor-companies.

my experience showed me, that you should invest only in big and trusted companies and the sources for information should be selected to sources, which have no interest, that you buy such titles (magazines, online infos from broker, investment houses and so).

if you are subscribed to such small-caps-newsletters, do the only right thing and unsubscribe as quickly as you can.

This is extremely good advice. Consider a company like IFL (Int'l Fight League) which has $500m in market cap but has absolutely past history of making a dime or being able to promote. They are the epitome of hype & bubble economics. BEWARE~!
Detremmerie
I would even dare to say that forums may be a good source of information. Ofcourse you need respectable one's with enough members, but I believe that such a pool of knowledge is a good information source. Plus it adds interactivity as well. Today you can find forums on most investment products, like Forex, Commodities, Stocks,...

Matt
sabe
The problem I see w/forum sites is that they are as good as the participants and how do you tell how good the participant credentials are? I think that my $$ are too important to depend upon a group of folks that I don't know.

I can say that I am an "expert" and in a forum I don't even have to spend the cost of a web site to say anything I want.

I would check anything I read on one of these places. After saying that I must admit I have found forums to be a great place to start learning about something. It is also a place where you can confirm some of your own ideas too.