FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Help with Firewall and Antivirus

wraith
Anybody know of a good firewall and antivirus?

right now I have zonealarm which is ok, but it blocks bit torrents and also I can't open ports to allow me to host a game.

I read that people have problems with Norton Antivirus, which I also have. Does anybody know a good, hopefully free, replacement for that?
Maka
I use:

Antivirus: Avast pro

Firewall: Sygate pro

Cool
Marthezz
Antivirus: Mcfee
Firewall: Norton Internet Security (Doesnt block torrents, but I'm using Azureus, I dont know if that makes a difference)
albert
I just use the firewall in Window XP SP2. Embarassed
But my computer never been hack. Cool
Eryx
I use AVG and Zonealarm. Since you seem to have a problem with Zonealarm I need not recommend it. =) But I've never had any problems with it once I got it configured and ran through all my progs. Bit torrents run fine as well. (Maybe it has to do with the torrent program your using?) As far as AVG, it hasn't let me down yet and it's free. Which is always a plus. [/url]
hellgod
same here i also use AVG and ZA.. and i dont have any prob in downloading torrents.. just allow the program for internet access and its done it will not block..
medo-egypt
thank you
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
alextweewielers
Quote:
I use AVG and Zonealarm. Since you seem to have a problem with Zonealarm I need not recommend it. =) But I've never had any problems with it once I got it configured and ran through all my progs. Bit torrents run fine as well. (Maybe it has to do with the torrent program your using?) As far as AVG, it hasn't let me down yet and it's free. Which is always a plus.

I use exactly the same AGV and Zonealarm never had any problems and there both free Smile
Deckard
Firewall: Kerio (www.kerio.com)
Antivirus: NOD32 (www.nod32.com)

This is the best solutions I could come up with, Kerio is just one of the best, same thing with NOD32 especially if you have a slower computer. NOD is very coutious with memory without compromising the security issues.
boringest
actually was thinking if you use a router, it's already very hard to get hacked since the router already offers 1 layer of protection.

so are these firewalls still required or is it wasting memory space.
CCR
AV Kapersky
Firewall Kaspersky anti hacker
neither are free but both work great and or very easy to use.
and as far as zone alram goes you cna open ports. and have it allow files you wish to work like BT just have to do a little reading or even view the tutral they install with software.
argha
AVG Free Antivirus and Zonealarm Free Firewall are one of my best choice in free softwares.

You can configure Zonealarm and set the ports manually and let the firewall ask you for permission before allow / Disallow a connection to a specific port.

Its takes time to build a database one a firewall database or Access list is few days old its will not put a POP UP every now and then whenever to connect to the sites to ports.

In Paid Ver.

Antivirus: Mcfee I like it as its takes less system resource the Norton.

Argha
Helios
AV: NOD32(includes a firewall I think..)

FIREWALL: NOD32.. if not then download something else.. blah!
billybob
nod 32 does not have a firewall just an internet monitor, i use this and zonealarm i dont have no problems with online games
jvachez
On PCMag they say that the best internet security suite is ZoneAlarm Suite 6
Harrowed
jvachez wrote:
On PCMag they say that the best internet security suite is ZoneAlarm Suite 6

You would take PCMag's view on anything? Just read their highest reviews and I bet you can find ads for that company throughout the magazine.

In Australia we have a great Modder/Latest Gizmo's for your PC magazine.
Atomic Maximum Power Computing.

But seriously, NOD32, although not free is one of the Worlds best.

Couple that with a HARDWARE firewall/router.. You're laughing ^_^
asiddle423
i would recommend free security programs such as anti-virus and firewalls which are uncommon programs because theres alot more people that try to get around the most common firewalls so there is probably more chance of getting past these programs than others which are less known and less known how to get around
Alacarde
I use AntiVir Personal Edition Classic. (It actually finds viruses that Norton AntiVirus doesn't...lol, and it's free...)

And for antivirus I use Microsofts AntiSpyware Beta.

I haven't had any problems with either of these, and my computer works perfectly... always has, hopefully always will...
budazz
alextweewielers wrote:
Quote:
I use AVG and Zonealarm. Since you seem to have a problem with Zonealarm I need not recommend it. =) But I've never had any problems with it once I got it configured and ran through all my progs. Bit torrents run fine as well. (Maybe it has to do with the torrent program your using?) As far as AVG, it hasn't let me down yet and it's free. Which is always a plus.

I use exactly the same AGV and Zonealarm never had any problems and there both free Smile

yeah this is true...free is the best policy... Laughing
mengshi200
I suggest you continue to use za,only using btcomet to bt so that avoid deadlock.you can try.
Asylum
For Software McAfee for AV and Norton Internet Security for the Firewall

For serious security you should use hardware protection such as the common routers you can get for home networks.

Now if you really want a good hardware product that does everything on the subject of stopping viruses, spam, spyware, malware ect then this is what you should be looking at for a future addition to your private networks:

http://www.barracudanetworks.com/ns/products/spyware_features.php

This is not a router or normal firewall, you connect it to your existing router on a lan port and it blocks all the bad content you do not want.

For more information and a closer look at the type of security it provides visit the above link.
Oscar
I use Zone and Avast like most of us but I have to admit that I don't use Torrents.Sharing clients is so solid that I feel safer than 128 bit password .Besides both Zone and Avast are free.
gonzo
Get a nice NAT'ing router: WRT54GS. Setup port forwarding. Grab Azureus and it's SafePeer plugin.

Install zone alarm if you like trauma or want to waste time in the future.
James007
Anti-Spyware: MS AntiSpyware™ (Microsoft)... because it detects spyware when it is being installed...

Anti-Virus: AVG™ ... lite and effective

Anti-Hacker / Firewall: Sygate Personal Firewall Pro™... just really nice

Alternative Browser!: Mozilla Firefox™... No Spyware/Adware here...

SpywareSite blocklist: Spywareblaster™

I never have any Virusses, Worms, Trojans, Spyware, Adware... NOTHING Very Happy

James Smile
gonzo
James007 wrote:
Anti-Hacker / Firewall:
Is now a symantec product.

Quote:
I never have any Virusses, Worms, Trojans, Spyware, Adware... NOTHING Very Happy

James Smile

If anyone else wants to be this way use common sense and educate yourself.
James007
I know Symantec took over Sygate, but I've never liked Sygate in the first place... When I hear Sygate, I hear Norton, when I hear Norton, I hear problems...

Common Sense is the top priority, without common sense even a thousand programs won't help.

James Smile
progman89
Kerio is the best personal firewall. You just have to make sure you know what you're giving access to the internet, because you have total control over everything.