FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Some not so commonly asked questions.

saratdear
I have two questions. Hope you can clear my doubts.

Q.1 Arrow Every computer has an IP address while browsing the net, right? So, if we switch to a new Internet Service Provider, will the IP address of our computer change?

Q.2 Arrow The Avatar and the signature at Frihost has a space limit of 24kb and 50 kb respectively, right? Any image i select for my avatar or my signature, it is more than the allowed file size. How do all of you do it, then? How can I reduce the file size of the images I select?
Animal
saratdear wrote:
Q.1 Arrow Every computer has an IP address while browsing the net, right? So, if we switch to a new Internet Service Provider, will the IP address of our computer change?

Yes, your IP will definitely change if you change your ISP. In fact, it may change if you disconnect then reconnect to the internet - this is called a dynamic IP. If your IP will not change when you reconnect, you must have a static IP.

saratdear wrote:
Q.2 Arrow The Avatar and the signature at Frihost has a space limit of 24kb and 50 kb respectively, right? Any image i select for my avatar or my signature, it is more than the allowed file size. How do all of you do it, then? How can I reduce the file size of the images I select?

Try opening the image with MS Paint or GIMP and make the image physically smaller. Then do FILE > SAVE AS then re-upload it to an image host such as Imageshack.
saratdear
Thanks, animal.

Just two more questions.

Q.3

Arrow What counts as a double post? That is, what I have posted right now is not a double post, because i got a reply and only then I posted. It counts as double post only when you post something and then immidietly (did i spell that right?) post again, without waiting for a reply, right? And what is the meaning of double posts being caused by the system (see down)

Forum Rules wrote:

n. Double Posting is not allowed. We know which double posts are caused by the system and which are not.

Q.4
Arrow If a user is banned, he can't register for another account because you can track his IP address. But, he can just switch over to another ISP and register another account, right?

Twisted Evil I am NOT and I was NOT planning to do the above said thing!! It was just a doubt of mine!! Twisted Evil

P.S. Any doubts about Frihost, I will now continue posting in this thread. Just a small doubt. Will it be considered as spam if I start a thread for every question that I had?
Animal
saratdear wrote:
Q.3

Arrow [color=red]What counts as a double post? It counts as double post only when you post something and then immidietly (did i spell that right?) post again, without waiting for a reply, right?

Right.

saratdear wrote:
And what is the meaning of double posts being caused by the system (see down)

Sometimes there is an error and you have to refresh your page a few times before you can see the message you just posted - this occasionally causes the same message to appear many times. But we are able to tell when this has been caused by a system error and when someone has just posted the same message a number of times to get more points.

saratdear wrote:
Q.4
Arrow If a user is banned, he can't register for another account because you can track his IP address. But, he can just switch over to another ISP and register another account, right?

Technically they could, but we have ways of discovering if people are multi-accounting or if banned users return - we find and re-ban users quite frequently, so if you try it, you're really just wasting your time.

saratdear wrote:
P.S. Any doubts about Frihost, I will now continue posting in this thread. Just a small doubt. Will it be considered as spam if I start a thread for every question that I had?

It won't be considered spam if it relates to a different topic, but we would prefer in terms of forum tidiness that you keep your basic questions here (eg. rules clarification etc). Just remember to search before you post new questions - in all likelihood, the question will have been answered before.
Traveller
saratdear wrote:
Arrow What counts as a double post?

One other thing that is considered a double post is when the same message is posted in different sections of the Forum (esp. to increase the chance of having people see it). A classic example of this is when someone has a referral they wish to promote, so they post the same message in each forum. We consider this to be Spam as well as double posting. Of course, referrals or affiliate links are not allowed here, anyway, but that is a typical example of the kind of double posting that gets people banned very quickly.
saratdear
Well, thanks for your time, Animal and Traveller.
But, get prepared, I have five more questions Very Happy

Q.5
Arrow If I introduced someone to Frihost, and we both want to make a website together, is it possible? I mean, we both have separate PCs at home, and separate accounts, is making a website together possible? I mean, not through sharing files through e-mail etc., but making a website together on Frihost, like a merging of accounts.. is that possible?

Q.6
Arrow Any site, like this one here,
states that free webhosts and websites are unreliable, will it be against the TOS or the forum rules if a normal user like me e-mails the founder of that website telling them about Frihost? And if that website founder publishes Frihost as a good free host, will there be any warnings or even a ban Crying or Very sad against me? Because, that e-mail wasn't officially from Frihost...not Bondings nor any of the moderating team sent it. And I even didn't ask your permission to do such a thing.
Crying or Very sad

That was an example situation! I didn't and I don't plan to do it! When I visit some websites, my mind just works in strange ways and makes up questions... Very Happy

Q.7
Arrow There are many offers in the Marketplace forum about others advertising on one's own signature space for a certain amount of frih$, right? So, will it be against the TOS or the forum rules if I put a text like...like visit my sponsors site or something. They are kind of your sponsors because they give you frih$... Very Happy

I meant like this:-

Visit my sponsors sites:-

xxxxlinkxxxx
xxxxlinkxxxx
xxxxlinkxxxx

I hope you understood what I mean Very Happy

The next question is connected with the last, but I anyhow made it a separate question:-
Q.8
What if instead of getting paid per week or month while advertising on signatures, I made a deal to get like 2frih$ or so for each click my sponsors get from my signature ... sort of like Google adsense. Will it be against the rules or TOS? I am unsure because:

Forum Rules wrote:

e. Posts, avatars, signatures and usernames must not contain direct or indirect referral links or links that you get credit for when people click on.

Frih$ aren't real money, but can you just clear my doubt?

Q.9
Arrow How are Moderators/other staff on Frihost appointed? (Sorry if this is a personal question)

I know these are kind of ... ehm .... unusual questions, on the least. But as I think of myself, I am a strange(sometimes weird) guy. Very Happy
Animal
saratdear wrote:
Q.5
Arrow If I introduced someone to Frihost, and we both want to make a website together, is it possible? I mean, we both have separate PCs at home, and separate accounts, is making a website together possible? I mean, not through sharing files through e-mail etc., but making a website together on Frihost, like a merging of accounts.. is that possible?

You are able to give your friend access to your site via an FTP account that you create for them. You are also able to give out email addresses, so this is OK. You can not both request an account and "merge" the resources - if your friend gets an account, he will have 250Mb/10Gb and you will have a seperate 250Mb/10Gb. However, you can cross-link as much as you like.

saratdear wrote:
Q.6
Arrow Any site, like this one here,
states that free webhosts and websites are unreliable, will it be against the TOS or the forum rules if a normal user like me e-mails the founder of that website telling them about Frihost? And if that website founder publishes Frihost as a good free host, will there be any warnings or even a ban Crying or Very sad against me? Because, that e-mail wasn't officially from Frihost...not Bondings nor any of the moderating team sent it. And I even didn't ask your permission to do such a thing.

No, this isn't against the rules. If you advertise Frihost for us, you are doing us a favour since it may attract business to us. However, you could only email them and say "I use this website and it's good..." and not "the people who run Frihost have asked me to tell you..." - we do not ask you to advertise at all. Ever. but we always appreciate a little help if you're happy with our services Wink

saratdear wrote:
Q.7
Arrow There are many offers in the Marketplace forum about others advertising on one's own signature space for a certain amount of frih$, right? So, will it be against the TOS or the forum rules if I put a text like...like visit my sponsors site or something. They are kind of your sponsors because they give you frih$... Very Happy

This is allowed.

saratdear wrote:
Q.8
What if instead of getting paid per week or month while advertising on signatures, I made a deal to get like 2frih$ or so for each click my sponsors get from my signature ... sort of like Google adsense. Will it be against the rules or TOS? I am unsure because:

This is ok as long as the payments are solely in FRIH$. You are not allowed to charge in any other currency.

saratdear wrote:
Q.9
Arrow How are Moderators/other staff on Frihost appointed? (Sorry if this is a personal question)

Ultimately, it's up to Bondings who he makes a moderator. There is usually some staff discussion about potential candidates too... but it's extremely unusual for people who say "I want to be a mod" to actually be made one. If you are interested, just be a "model Frihoster" and we may contact you if we think you may be able to help. But as far as I know, staffing levels are fairly healthy at the moment.
Blaster
Quote:
Ultimately, it's up to Bondings who he makes a moderator. There is usually some staff discussion about potential candidates too... but it's extremely unusual for people who say "I want to be a mod" to actually be made one. If you are interested, just be a "model Frihoster" and we may contact you if we think you may be able to help. But as far as I know, staffing levels are fairly healthy at the moment.

One other note on that its not how many posts you made but how good of quality posts you have. As you notice me and S3nd K3ys are both two of the highest posters that arn't mods and we are not mods. So if you do want to be a mod dont' go for posting just about anything. Traveller was picked a mod when he had like 300 posts.
saratdear
Animal wrote:
saratdear wrote:
Q.5

You are able to give your friend access to your site via an FTP account that you create for them. You are also able to give out email addresses, so this is OK. You can not both request an account and "merge" the resources - if your friend gets an account, he will have 250Mb/10Gb and you will have a seperate 250Mb/10Gb. However, you can cross-link as much as you like.

I am sorry, but I didn't understand your answer. Confused Probably because I still know only a little about making websites Very Happy . Also, I didn't actually ask what I meant to ask.
I meant - Like having a shared account; Just take my friend's name as Akhil; We both are able to access our account from different PCs; maybe with different passwords but the same usernames.
And like I visit my accounts page, and we can share and send files to each other...and maybe chat as well...not PM, because we both have the same account. Very Happy
I am almost sure we don't have this facility in Frihost now. It was just a doubt of mine. I know I am not exactly being descriptive, but I hope you understand my question.
Animal
saratdear wrote:
I am sorry, but I didn't understand your answer. Confused Probably because I still know only a little about making websites Very Happy . Also, I didn't actually ask what I meant to ask.
I meant - Like having a shared account; Just take my friend's name as Akhil; We both are able to access our account from different PCs; maybe with different passwords but the same usernames.
And like I visit my accounts page, and we can share and send files to each other...and maybe chat as well...not PM, because we both have the same account. Very Happy
I am almost sure we don't have this facility in Frihost now. It was just a doubt of mine. I know I am not exactly being descriptive, but I hope you understand my question.

Ok. If you have a Frihost site, you can create a new FTP account for your friend so that both he and you can access the files on your server account. He will have a different username and password than you.

If your friend gets a Frihost account, he can create an FTP account for you, so you can access all his files with a different username and password.

If you do share files via your websites, the files must be in full compliance with the Terms of Service, ie. no mp3 files, no copyrighted material etc. Even if you're only sharing them between the two of you.

You are not allowed to install a chat service on your Frihost account - you would be best using an Instant Messaging program like msn, Yahoo or Google Talk.
saratdear
Thanks Animal, really sorry for troubling you, but i have another doubt.

Q.10
ArrowWhat is FTP and how does it work?

Even if I don't know anything about FTP, from your answer I could guess that:
I make an account, i create an FTP account for my friend, he can access my account and upload files, right?
But does that mean that anybody with an FTP account can access anybody's account? Confused

Sorry for my really stupid questions, although now I regularly post on Frihost, I am still a newbie to all the stuff like FTP.
If you can, Animal, can you just explain FTP about what you already explained? I mean, can you just explain FTP so that I can fully understand what you explained about FTP to me in the previous posts?
Animal
saratdear wrote:
Q.6

FTP means File Transfer Protacol. You use an FTP client such as FileZilla or FireFTP (if you're a Firefox user) and this lets you "browse" through all the files on your hosting account - it's a bit like Windows Explorer. This then lets you upload content from your computer to your hosting account.

The best thing to do is to try it out for yourself - download a client, enter your username and password (provided in your original hosting PM) and test it. Just remember that anything you want to appear on your website has to be put into the public_html directory (or a subfolder within it).
Blaster
saratdear wrote:
Q.6

You may also use www.net2ftp.com if you don't want to download a ftp client. Also if you go into IE and type in ftp.yoursite.frih.net then it will take you to your ftp account and from there you can add stuff and all that.
saratdear
Alright, thanks.
Well another seven questions. They are not such detailed questions, but actually questions about the staff. Sorry if I am asking confidential questions about Frihost. Very Happy
Actually, the last question I asked was question 10, not 6. I typed it wrong. i will edit it.

Alright, the other questions:

Q.11
Arrow What are the duties of the Language Moderators? Do they moderate the language forums? And if they do, does that mean that they can't moderate the other forums?

Q.12
Arrow Who is the Rank Designer? I never usually see him around on the forums.

Q.13
Arrow Does the retired admin/moderators still have admin powers? I mean, can they like, close threads and all? Or from then on, are they just like any other normal user?

Q.14
Arrow Will a moderator ever get banned? For the charges that any other normal user can get banned for?

Q.15
Arrow Who is the user, admin? I am sorry if it offended you, admin, just a curious question.

Q.16

Arrow What are the powers of the Junior Admins? Are they same as Bondings? Are there any other promotions they can get?
mathiaus
saratdear wrote:
Q.11
Arrow What are the duties of the Language Moderators? Do they moderate the language forums? And if they do, does that mean that they can't moderate the other forums?

Their primary purpose is to moderate the language forums though they are not restricted only to those forums. They also verify the quality of posts for account creators of non-english speaking applicants.

saratdear wrote:
Q.12
Arrow Who is the Rank Designer? I never usually see him around on the forums.

dragonflame

saratdear wrote:
Q.13
Arrow Does the retired admin/moderators still have admin powers? I mean, can they like, close threads and all? Or from then on, are
they just like any other normal user?

I beleive they have the special rank but are no longer in the staff usergroup.

saratdear wrote:
Q.14
Arrow Will a moderator ever get banned? For the charges that any other normal user can get banned for?

Possibly, depends entirely on what is done and Bondings' reaction. If I went round spamming every single forum I would get warned (even more so as I am meant to be setting an example), leading to a ban. I might also be banned for using my mod/AC powers in a way I shouldn't.

saratdear wrote:
Q.15
Arrow Who is the user, admin? I am sorry if it offended you, admin, just a curious question.

Who is Bondings? He never says though there are many topics about him whereby people have speculated some strange things and he has on occasion posted one or two details (don't know the acuracy of them though).

saratdear wrote:
Q.16
Arrow What are the powers of the Junior Admins? Are they same as Bondings? Are there any other promotions they can get?

I'll let a junior admin answer this. (or Bondings of course)

You do relise, your topic title is now completely misleading Razz
saratdear
mathiaus wrote:

saratdear wrote:

Q.15

Who is Bondings? He never says though there are many topics about him whereby people have speculated some strange things and he has on occasion posted one or two details (don't know the acuracy of them though).

You misunderstood me, Mathiaus. i was not talking about Bondings. I was talking about the person who appears first in the Memberlist (check it out here)

And when I clicked on the link, dragonflame, there comes a message saying that "You have no right to view this page."

And, another question:

Q.17

Arrow Do you have a full staff meeting just for banning one user, or a moderator can ban a user if he founds the mistake he commited is serious enough?

And I am going to change the title to : Some not so commonly asked questions. Very Happy
Animal
saratdear wrote:
I was talking about the person who appears first in the Memberlist (check it out here)

As far as I know, it's an old, no-longer used admin account.

saratdear wrote:
And when I clicked on the link, dragonflame, there comes a message saying that "You have no right to view this page."

See Dragonflame's profile here.

saratdear wrote:
Q.17
Arrow Do you have a full staff meeting just for banning one user, or a moderator can ban a user if he founds the mistake he commited is serious enough?

If it's a clear-cut case, normally the user will be banned immediately. If it's more complex / less obvious then the staff discuss it.

What's with all the in-depth staff questions??? Confused
saratdear
You know, sometimes I am so amazed by the working of Frihost that I feel like knowing everything about it.
Well, I have no more questions now, but I will think up something and post later. Very Happy

Well, got four more questions:

Q.18
ArrowHow many lines of text of normal font size can be fitted inside the allowed signature space?

Q.19
Arrow While closing a topic, why do moderator usually post a message like this:
Code:
-closed-
-locked-
Alright, I have -close-d this thread.

Is that a code or something? Why can't mods just post like : Alright, I am closing this thread.?
Confused
Well, hope you understood my question.
Daniel15
Quote:
ArrowHow many lines of text of normal font size can be fitted inside the allowed signature space?

500 characters worth Smile. Usually, people put a few lines.

Quote:
[b]Q.19/b]
Code:
-closed-
-locked-

Is that a code or something? Why can't mods just post like : Alright, I am closing this thread.?
Confused

It's, uh, something we do Very Happy It's actually a special code, that's all I'll say Wink

Quote:
Well, got four more questions:

That looked like only two to me Wink
saratdear
Thanks, Daniel15.

Daniel15 wrote:

Quote:
Q.19
Code:
-closed-
-locked-

Is that a code or something? Why can't mods just post like : Alright, I am closing this thread.? Confused

It's, uh, something we do Very Happy It's actually a special code, that's all I'll say Wink

Sorry, if this was a bad question... I mean ... well never mind Very Happy Just sorry. Sad

And I am going to ask the other questions now, but nobody seems to have answered this one:
saratdear wrote:

Q.16

And for this:
Daniel15 wrote:

500 characters worth Smile. Usually, people put a few lines.

Talking about 500 characters, well, if I have to put a link, will all the code, like [url] and [\url] count towards the 500?

Well, for the other questions: Very Happy

Q.20
Arrow When I give a url, how do I type it in a particular way that when clicked, it takes the viewer to a particular location in the page? I mean, after I post this topic, there will be a link like - "Click here to see what you posted. Well, when I click on it, it goes to the topic, then automatically jumps to my post. How do you do that?

Q.21
ArrowIf I make a website, and then don't work on it, and decide to make a website later, like say..6 months or so, and just continue posting, will that 250 MB and 10GB bandwidth be a waste? I mean, if I do a thing like that, will it be better if I contact you and ask to cancel just my hosting?

Q.22
Arrow Can we have emoticons in post subjects?

Q.23
Arrow Can we have personal pictures as avatars/signatures?

Q.24

Arrow If I have a brother who is an expert in Photoshop/GIMP, and I open a signature shop, and he does all the work, and I post it as - "Here are some samples of my work", will that be violating the TOS or rules or just plain old cheating? I can't do the work because I know nothing about this stuff.
mathiaus
saratdear wrote:
And I am going to change the title to : Some not so commonly asked questions. Very Happy

Cool Smile

saratdear wrote:
Q.19
Code:
-closed-
-locked-

Is that a code or something? Why can't mods just post like : Alright, I am
closing this thread.?
Confused

They actually close the thread its posted in (only works for mods+ though). We post about it so everyone knows who took the action though. Saves confusion later

saratdear wrote:
Q.20
Arrow When I give a url, how do I type it in a particular way that when clicked, it takes the viewer to a particular location in the page? I mean, after I post this topic, there will be a link like - "Click here to see what you posted. Well, when I click on it, it goes to the topic, then automatically jumps to my post. How do you do that?

make links in pages where you want to go to with <a name="middle"></a>. Place that in the middle of the page and to go there make a link with <a href="pagename.html#middle">Middle</a>.
You can't do this on the forums though with bbcode. If you want to link to a post, click the little link image next to Posted ().

saratdear wrote:
Q.21
ArrowIf I make a website, and then don't work on it, and decide to make a website later, like say..6 months or so, and just continue posting, will that 250 MB and 10GB bandwidth be a waste? I mean, if I do a thing like that, will it be better if I contact you and ask to cancel just my hosting?

Frihost doesn't encourage waste though if you remain active on Frihost you are entitled to that space and bandwidth. It's left up to your conscience really Razz

saratdear wrote:
Q.22

You can have the character expressions though they aren't parsed into image emoticons.

saratdear wrote:
Q.23

So long as they remain within the forum rules and if under 13 do not expose any personal info (COPPA).

saratdear wrote:
Q.24
Arrow If I have a brother who is an expert in Photoshop/GIMP, and I open a signature shop, and he does all the work, and I post it as - "Here are some samples of my work", will that be violating the TOS or rules or just plain old cheating? I can't do the work because I know nothing about this stuff.

You should really say he does it all so as to make sure he gets the credit he desrves. I personally would recommend that he registers here and makes his own sig shop, donating the $FRIH to you.
Bockman
saratdear wrote:

Q.16

seems i'll have to handle this one:

Junior Admins are Board Administrators. We have full Administrative permissions over the forum (although we are "moraly" limited on some actions) and are capable of performing all tasks related to the forum/user management.
There is, at the moment, no higher rank we can be promoted to (and no reason we should need one either).
We do NOT have the same permissions as Bondings, since he has full powers on the forums AND the servers.

We are settled as Junior Admins to manage the forums to some extent, to allow Bondings some time to perform other chores he needs time to (developing this comunity and creating (a.k.a. coding) new stuff for everyone).

Hope to have answered that one Wink

Be Well Cool
ninjakannon
Quote:
I know these are kind of ... ehm .... unusual questions, on the least. But as I think of myself, I am a strange(sometimes weird) guy

saratdear, I disagree, the questions aren't exactly unusual - although I don’t know you so I can’t say you’re not strange Wink. I've thought of quite a few of these questions but never asked so firstly I have to thank you for asking them. You've received some great answers which have cleared up some things for me and probably quite a few other Frihost members.

Anyway, mathiaus, I've always wondered what was with everything on forums and online games having warnings etc for under 13 year olds. I guessed there was some kind of internet policy that applied. Here's the rather simple COPPA website, saratdear. (Is it me or do they only have 3 pages on there?)

Great info guys, I’ll be waiting to read the answers to any other questions you have, saratdear as most of them are pretty interesting.

Oh and in response to question 7; see my sig. Razz

EDIT: Now I have drawn attention to my sig, please don't click the "Click here if you are a fool" link. It opens a web page with some javascript on it. Basically it tries to close itself but no matter which link you click it just asks you again. But it also opens up as many new internet windows of itself as it takes to fill your RAM. I achieved some rather amusing results on my own computer with that (eg nothing works when you click them etc).
Anyway, I have my own question regarding this: should I remove that link and the file to which it links? I'm guessing that it would be a good idea. Wink
Fortunately I don't think anyone's clicked it yet as I haven't received any angry PMs.
saratdear
Well, another question:

Q.25
Arrow Can a user get minus frih$? If yes, how? That is, can a user can donate more frih$ than he has and that results in a minus?

And a special thanks to ninjakannon Very Happy Very Happy

Well, ninjakannon, I did click on your link, (I told you I am a strange guy) Very Happy and firefox says it prevented the site from opening 28672 pop up windows. Shocked Shocked
mathiaus
saratdear wrote:
Q.25
Arrow Can a user get minus frih$? If yes, how? That is, can a user can donate more frih$ than he has and that results in a minus?

Only 16 people have negative $FRIH. (memberlist -> sort by FRIH -> Accending). This is either caused by some sort of error or when their posts are removed the frih they earned are taken back.
You can't (at least you shouldn't be able to) donate more frih than you actually have.
ninjakannon
mathiaus wrote:
Only 16 people have negative $FRIH. (memberlist -> sort by FRIH -> Accending). This is either caused by some sort of error or when their posts are removed the frih they earned are taken back.
You can't (at least you shouldn't be able to) donate more frih than you actually have.

I can only count 5 people with negative FRIH$, mathiaus. Although there are sooo many with 0. Confused

@ saratdear: Wow! I'm glad your pop-up blocker's working. Wink
I laughed so loudly when I read that 28672 tried to open and now I have a huge grin on my face; that's made my hour! (No, not my day - unfortunately.) I tried the link on a VERY bad computer and only got 118 IE windows before nothing worked. I couldn't even close some because apparently they were "Busy"... The easy way to get rid of 'em all is to end the process of FireFox or IE in your task manager.
mathiaus
ninjakannon wrote:
I can only count 5 people with negative FRIH$, mathiaus. Although there are sooo many with 0. Confused

I included those with - 0.00 points Smile

About the COPPA (Concentrating On Provoking People Act), the servers is in the USA and a lot of members are from there as well. Does the site really need more than 3 pages? What the legislation is and how to comply, more than adequate I feel.

@ninjakannon - With your page, it just loaded blank. No popups and no blocking of popups (or no alerts of it doing so at least). Confused
ninjakannon
It doesn't need more pages, I think that in general the less pages the better. I was just expecting more.

mathiaus wrote:
But the people I included those with - 0.00 points

But having 0.00 Points isn't a bug, you have that when you start. There will be lots of new users with 0.00 points and 0.00 FRIH$.

And about that link. I clicked it to see if you were right... That was not a good idea. One window opened and started to block the pop-ups, a few a second. I've left it while I write this post. For some odd reason a few windows open randomly every so ofthen so that now I have 3 rows (I've turned off grouping) of IEs. All of them are trying to block pop-ups. That means that I'm getting a constant pup-up blocking noise and my computer's currently slowing down slightly. I'm starting to get lag in this text box now, so I'm going to stop writing and post, then kill IE. Shocked

EDIT: How odd, I end clicked close on one of the windows and it told me that it wasn't responding would I like to end it now? I said yes and all of my IEs closed... except 1. That was unexpectedly random. Confused
mathiaus
I included in my count the MINUS 0.00 (gocuatinhyeu - cyaneyed2) Wink
ninjakannon
mathiaus wrote:
I included in my count the MINUS 0.00 (gocuatinhyeu - cyaneyed2) Wink

I never even noticed those minus signs in front of the 0.00s Shocked
*Dyslexic moment* Sorry. Embarassed
saratdear
Hi,
I am back! With my never ending doubts. Very Happy

Well, somebody please answer this; I asked it before:-

saratdear, in Q.no18, wrote:

Arrow How many lines of text of normal font size can be fitted inside the allowed signature space?

Daniel told me that it is 500 characters worth, but is all the code included in that 500 limit? Like [img], [/img] and [url], [/url]?

Well other three questions:-

Q.26

Arrow A normal user makes a good quality post, some mod decides it is useful and turns it into a stickie. Then, if the user wants, can he delete that post, which is now a stickie?

Q.27
Arrow If one house has two PCs, and they share the same internet connection, will they have different IPs while connected?

Q.28
Arrow If the two computers share the same internet, can members of the same house create different accounts on Frihost each through one computer? Is there any situation in which the same house CAN register two accounts? What if two members who want to register want different websites with different subdomains? Like : housemember1.frih.net and housemember2 .frih.net Very Happy
Animal
saratdear wrote:
Daniel told me that it is 500 characters worth, but is all the code included in that 500 limit? Like [img], [/img] and [url], [/url]?

Yes, tags are included in the number of allowed characters.

saratdear wrote:
Q.26
Arrow A normal user makes a good quality post, some mod decides it is useful and turns it into a stickie. Then, if the user wants, can he delete that post, which is now a stickie?

No, you can't delete your old posts - if you want it removed, PM a mod.

saratdear wrote:
Q.27
Arrow If one house has two PCs, and they share the same internet connection, will they have different IPs while connected?

No - the IP address will be the same.

saratdear wrote:
Q.28
Arrow If the two computers share the same internet, can members of the same house create different accounts on Frihost each through one computer? Is there any situation in which the same house CAN register two accounts? What if two members who want to register want different websites with different subdomains? Like : housemember1.frih.net and housemember2 .frih.net Very Happy

Please PM a mod and let them know that you and another member of the family / household also want another account. It is fairly easy for us to tell if it is the same person though, so any abuse of this will be dealt with harshly.
ssthanapati
Q29 : Wats the use of frih$ ? wat can i do with it?
Animal
ssthanapati wrote:
Q29 : Wats the use of frih$ ? wat can i do with it?

Please search before posting:
http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-34856.html#276426
ssthanapati
sorry new in here
saratdear
Alright, got one more question :-

Q.30
Arrow After you are logged on, what should you do to appear as a hidden user? You can see like at the bottom of the forums :
In total there are xx users online-
xx registered, xx hidden and xx guests.
Daniel15
saratdear wrote:
Alright, got one more question :-

Q.30
Arrow After you are logged on, what should you do to appear as a hidden user? You can see like at the bottom of the forums :
In total there are xx users online-
xx registered, xx hidden and xx guests.

Well, THANKS!

Click on the 'Profile' link at the top of the page. Then, look for the option titled 'Hide your online status'. Set this to yes Smile
ninjakannon
Daniel15 wrote:
Click on the 'Profile' link at the top of the page. Then, look for the option titled 'Hide your online status'. Set this to yes Smile

Ooo I never knew that either; although I have never wanted to. I don't see the point in it, why would you not want people to see that you were online? Would you mind explaining?

Thanks! Wink
saratdear
Well, I don't want to appear hidden, it is just a doubt of mine.
Traveller
ninjakannon wrote:
... why would you not want people to see that you were online? Would you mind explaining?

Because some people are message-board leeches and attach themselves to certain people as soon as they notice they are online. Still others are lonely and in search of conversation, so they latch onto just about anyone whom they see as being active.
ninjakannon
Traveller wrote:
Because some people are message-board leeches and attach themselves to certain people as soon as they notice they are online. Still others are lonely and in search of conversation, so they latch onto just about anyone whom they see as being active.

Oh right, thanks for that. I got a reply quicker than I was expecting. Very Happy

I haven't had any experience of these "leechers" yet so I guess I have no need for this feature, which is good really.

Have you got any more questions, saratdear?, the answers [to most of them] are quite interesting.
Daniel15
ninjakannon wrote:
Daniel15 wrote:

Ooo I never knew that either; although I have never wanted to. I don't see the point in it, why would you not want people to see that you were online? Would you mind explaining?

Thanks! Wink

If you don't want random people sending you PM's, you can enable that option...
Some people just like sending messages to random people that are online. If you enable that option, they won't know that you're online, and hence won't send you any messages Razz
saratdear
Well, got another doubt:

Q.31
Arrow I suggest you all take a look at here
It is the memberlist, sorted according to the no. of points, descending. If the system resets the number of points of every user to 45 everyday, then what the hell is this? A person simply can't get all that points in one day by posting.
mathiaus
saratdear wrote:
Q.31
It is the memberlist, sorted according to the no. of points, descending. If the system resets the number of points of every user to 45 everyday, then what the hell is this? A person simply can't get all that points in one day by posting.

That applies only to those who have a hosting account. If you have not yet applied for hosting, your points will just keep totaling up. Smile
Daniel15
saratdear wrote:
Well, got another doubt:

Q.31

WELL, THANKS!

Just so you know, HoboPelican is a moderator which doesn't have a hosting account.
And some people only come here because of the large forum, and don't even want a hosting account Wink
saratdear
So, does that mean that 1 point does not get deducted each day if you don't apply for hosting? And does that also mean that if I request for hosting, and cancel it after it gets accepted, you get the same privilege (of points adding up without resetting to 45). Also, if a user gets up to, say, thousand points, and he requests for hosting, will the points get reset to 45 after it is accepted?
Animal
saratdear wrote:
So, does that mean that 1 point does not get deducted each day if you don't apply for hosting?

Yes

saratdear wrote:
And does that also mean that if I request for hosting, and cancel it after it gets accepted, you get the same privilege (of points adding up without resetting to 45).

Yes

saratdear wrote:
Also, if a user gets up to, say, thousand points, and he requests for hosting, will the points get reset to 45 after it is accepted?

Yes

Shocked Phew, that was easier to answer than some of your last questions! Wink
bambholebaba
mathiaus wrote:
saratdear wrote:

Cool Smile

saratdear wrote:
Q.19
Code:
-closed-
-locked-

Is that a code or something? Why can't mods just post like : Alright, I am
closing this thread.?
Confused

They actually close the thread its posted in (only works for mods+ though). We post about it so everyone knows who took the action though. Saves confusion later

saratdear wrote:
Q.20

make links in pages where you want to go to with <a name="middle"></a>. Place that in the middle of the page and to go there make a link with <a href="pagename.html#middle">Middle</a>.
You can't do this on the forums though with bbcode. If you want to link to a post, click the little link image next to Posted ().

saratdear wrote:
Q.21

Frihost doesn't encourage waste though if you remain active on Frihost you are entitled to that space and bandwidth. It's left up to your conscience really Razz

saratdear wrote:
Q.22

You can have the character expressions though they aren't parsed into image emoticons.

saratdear wrote:
Q.23

So long as they remain within the forum rules and if under 13 do not expose any personal info (COPPA).

saratdear wrote:
Q.24

You should really say he does it all so as to make sure he gets the credit he desrves. I personally would recommend that he registers here and makes his own sig shop, donating the $FRIH to you.

MATHIAUS SIR,
I want to know HOW THESE MULTIPLE QUOTES APPEAR ?
mathiaus
bambholebaba wrote:
MATHIAUS SIR,
I want to know HOW THESE MULTIPLE QUOTES APPEAR ?

Lol, no need to call me sir! Laughing

A. Simply use the quote tags multiple time eg.
Code:
[quote]this is a quote from a user called quote 1[/quote]
This is my response to quote1

[quote][quote]this is quote 2 in another quote box!!!![/quote]This is a comment to the the quote, but is also a quote, confused? You should be. This quote is going to be called quote3[/quote]
This is my response to quote3's response to quote2. This comment won't appear in a quote box!
saratdear
Well, another question :-

Q.32
Arrow Is this site - www.frih.com affliated with Frihost in any way or is this site run by Frihost?
Bondings
saratdear wrote:
Q.32
Arrow Is this site - www.frih.com affliated with Frihost in any way or is this site run by Frihost?

As usual, THANKS!

It's not affiliated with us at the moment. It's owned by a domain speculator if I'm not mistaken. If it's cheap, I might buy it one day. Wink
bambholebaba
Mathiaus wrote:
Lol, no need to call me sir! Laughing

I intended to learn from U so called like that ! U know, TRADITIONS !!

Mathiaus wrote:
A. Simply use the quote tags multiple time eg.
Code:
Quote:
this is a quote from a user called quote 1

This is my response to quote1

Quote:
Quote:
this is quote 2 in another quote box!!!!
This is a comment to the the quote, but is also a quote, confused? You should be. This quote is going to be called quote3

This is my response to quote3's response to quote2. This comment won't appear in a quote box!

As I percieved from Ur answer , I have to copy/paste each time. Is it so or some more simple way like just clicking on some tags? Confused [ this time i have done it by multiple copy/ paste ]
ninjakannon
I assume you mean, bambholebaba, that you are copying the text from a quote in someone elses message into a new quote tag in your message. You can simply click on the quote buttom above their message to go to the new message page with their message (in quotes) already entered.

I hope I'm telling you what you wanted to know. Wink
saratdear
Domain speculator? I searched Wikipedia for it and this is what came up :-

Wikipedia wrote:

According to the U.S. federal law known as the Anti-Cybersquatting Consumer Protection Act, cybersquatting is registering, trafficking in, or using a domain name with bad-faith intent to profit from the goodwill of a trademark belonging to someone else. The cybersquatter then offers the domain to the person or company who owns a trademark contained within the name at an inflated price, an act which some deem to be extortion.

The term is derived from "squatting", which is the act of occupying an abandoned or unoccupied space or building that the squatter does not own, rent or otherwise have permission to use. Cybersquatting is however, a bit different in that the domain names that are being "squatted" are being paid for through the registration process by the Cybersquatters. Cybersquatters usually ask for prices far greater than that at which they purchased it. Some cybersquatters put up derogatory remarks about the person or company the domain is meant to represent in an effort to encourage the subject to buy the domain from them. As with many controversial issues some argue that this practice is consistent with a capitalistic and free market ethos.

Cybersquatters sometimes register variants of popular trademarked names, a practice known as typosquatting.

Cybersquatting is one of the most loosely used terms related to domain name intellectual property law and is often incorrectly used to refer to the sale or purchase of generic domain names such as shoes.com; where a covetous party has designs on unseating the entity that was first to register.

So, does that mean that people actually buy domain names for cheap which are similar, and can be confused with, the trademarks fo other genuine institutions? Then, they try to sell it to them for high prices, right?
So Bondings, if you do want to buy it, I guess it won't be cheap... Very Happy

But there is a a problem here. Type any subdomain, any subdomain, with the extension .frih.com, instead of .frih.net, and it automatically goes to the site www.frih.com! Type anything, any gibberish, and it goes to www.frih.com . Just try it - www.xyz.frih.com. So, if I give my website address to somebody, and he mistakenly types it as www.amazingindia.frih.com , then he goes to www.frih.com , not my site!

I think it is something to think about.

P.S. Don't actually bother to go to my site. It is a total, complete, COMPLETE, mess.
Don't say I didn't warn you! Very Happy
Traveller
saratdear wrote:
But there is a a problem here. Type any subdomain, any subdomain, with the extension .frih.com, instead of .frih.net, and it automatically goes to the site www.frih.com! Type anything, any gibberish, and it goes to www.frih.com . Just try it - www.xyz.frih.com. So, if I give my website address to somebody, and he mistakenly types it as www.amazingindia.frih.com , then he goes to www.frih.com , not my site!

The problem is that "frih.com" is one of those "search for things here" sites that mimic (in presence, not in content) legitimate sites. It IS actually a registered domain:
Quote:
Registrant:
Name Administration Inc. (BVI)
Box 10518 A.P.O.
Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands B.W.I.
KY

Domain name: FRIH.COM

Administrative Contact:
Domain, Administrator *****@nameadmininc.com
Box 10518 A.P.O.
KY
+1.345.946.6879
Technical Contact:
Domain, Administrator *****@nameadmininc.com
Box 10518 A.P.O.
KY
+1.345.946.6879

Registrar of Record: DomainNameSales
Record last updated on 22-Aug-2006.
Record expires on 29-Nov-2008.
Record created on 29-Nov-2001.

Domain servers in listed order:
NS1.15X.NET 66.199.187.170
NS2.15X.NET 66.199.187.171

Domain status: clientDeleteProhibited
clientTransferProhibited
clientUpdateProhibited
and since FriHost doesn't own that domain, there is nothing that can be done with it. The same thing can happen with ANY site, depending upon who registered the particular domains, and when. For example, take a look at www.youtube.net versus www.youtube.com. These leeches do these things as attempts either to disrupt the flow of legitimate traffic to the real websites, or to charge greatly inflated prices for the domain names if the holders of the real domains try to register the lookalike names (e.g. for additional servers, etc.).

The best way to handle this with mistyping friends is to send them the actual link to your site so they can just click on it.

(Source of above registration information: http://www.dnsstuff.com/tools/whois.ch?ip=frih.com)
bambholebaba
ninjakannon wrote:
I assume you mean, bambholebaba, that you are copying the text from a quote in someone elses message into a new quote tag in your message. You can simply click on the quote buttom above their message to go to the new message page with their message (in quotes) already entered.

I hope I'm telling you what you wanted to know. Wink

I wanted to know exactly the same thing, but my trial failed. Today I am trying it again.

I clicked quote button of ur message, this page appeared, i typed my message here.

Now i want to add mathiaus' post in quote here and and find now way other than to copy/ paste after modifying the quote tag to [quote="Mathiaus"].

I wanted help at this point. U know some time U have to respond more than one member with refference to their post, in ur single reply.

Thanks!
saratdear
Well, got another question...

Q.33
Arrow If I finally have exactly 200 posts, and get the rank "Frihoster", and then delete one of my posts, will my rank go back to "Adolescent Frihoster"?
I am not talking about just this rank. I am asking in general.
Animal
saratdear wrote:
Q.33
Arrow If I finally have exactly 200 posts, and get the rank "Frihoster", and then delete one of my posts, will my rank go back to "Adolescent Frihoster"?

Yes.
ninjakannon
Animal wrote:
saratdear wrote:
Q.33

Yes.

And does your post count decrease, or stay the same? I don't think I've ever deleted one of my posts on a forum before.
Animal
ninjakannon wrote:
And does your post count decrease, or stay the same? I don't think I've ever deleted one of my posts on a forum before.

If you have (say) 200 posts and you delete one of them, your post count will drop to 199. Therefore, your rank will drop if you delete posts that bring you below the threshold of a certain rank.

It's quite unusual (but not unheard of) for users to delete their own posts. It's far more likely that a mod would delete one for you (for example, if you had connection issues and posted the same message a few times).
saratdear
Well, got another question...

Q.34
Arrow Can someone else, (like, say, my brother or friend or something) post with my username?(with my permission, of course) That is, for example, say, somebody asked a doubt in C++ . My brother, who knows C++ very well, clears the doubt for him. Then, if he needs to get specific details, and he asks questions, can my brother clear those doubts by posting with my username. (hope you got my question) Wink
Animal
saratdear wrote:
Q.34
Arrow Can someone else, (like, say, my brother or friend or something) post with my username?(with my permission, of course) That is, for example, say, somebody asked a doubt in C++ . My brother, who knows C++ very well, clears the doubt for him. Then, if he needs to get specific details, and he asks questions, can my brother clear those doubts by posting with my username. (hope you got my question)

No, this is not encouraged or allowed. You should have your own forum account that only you use. If your brother is interested in Frihost, we would be more than happy for him to join. If he does join and decides to apply for a hosting account, make sure he tells us in his hosting request that he is related to you so that we don't close your accounts for multi-accounting if you use the same IP.
ninjakannon
Animal wrote:
If you have (say) 200 posts and you delete one of them, your post count will drop to 199.

Ok thanks, Animal.

Yeah, I don't delete my posts. Usually only a moderator can delete the posts anyway because a normal member cannot delete one of their posts unless it is last in that specific topic.
saratdear
Alright, thanks, Animal.

Got another question ... Very Happy

Q.35
Arrow Clicking on Google adsense ads open them in the same page, don't they? I find some ads interesting, and I click on them, but I want to keep Frihost open; I use firefox; and I right click on the links and click on open in new tab. Does this count as a click?

[/b]
Animal
saratdear wrote:
Q.35
Arrow Clicking on Google adsense ads open them in the same page, don't they? I find some ads interesting, and I click on them, but I want to keep Frihost open; I use firefox; and I right click on the links and click on open in new tab. Does this count as a click?

Yeah, it should do.
ninjakannon
For IE users:
Alternatively you can press ctrl+n and then click on the Google ad in the new window which pops up. Pressing ctrl+n opens another Internet Explorer window which is on the same page as you were on when you pressed ctrl+n. The great thing is that you can still go back to the previous pages you'd visited in the other browser window.

I would think that there is something similar for FireFox.

Also, somewhere in the rules for Google [I think] it says that the ads are supposed to open in the same window.
saratdear
Well, got still another question....

Q.36
Arrow What is the difference between 'Outbox' and 'Sentbox' in private messaging? I have just one message in the outbox. Does that mean that that message is unsent?
Animal
saratdear wrote:
Q.36
Arrow What is the difference between 'Outbox' and 'Sentbox' in private messaging? I have just one message in the outbox. Does that mean that that message is unsent?

The Outbox contains messages that you've sent but the user hasn't read yet. The Sentbox contains PMs that you've sent that the user has read.
bambholebaba
Animal wrote:
saratdear wrote:
Q.34
Arrow Can someone else, (like, say, my brother or friend or something) post with my username?(with my permission, of course) That is, for example, say, somebody asked a doubt in C++ . My brother, who knows C++ very well, clears the doubt for him. Then, if he needs to get specific details, and he asks questions, can my brother clear those doubts by posting with my username. (hope you got my question)

No, this is not encouraged or allowed. You should have your own forum account that only you use. If your brother is interested in Frihost, we would be more than happy for him to join. If he does join and decides to apply for a hosting account, make sure he tells us in his hosting request that he is related to you so that we don't close your accounts for multi-accounting if you use the same IP.

I am putting here an answer from the FAQ. I thought using one account by all of the family members is encouraged here. Please clear the point.

Quote:
Q: May I apply for a second account?
No, only one hosting account is allowed per person/ip address. That's why it is advised to use only one account per family. There will be more than enough bandwidth and space for your whole family.
Animal
bambholebaba wrote:
I am putting here an answer from the FAQ. I thought using one account by all of the family members is encouraged here. Please clear the point.

Quote:
No, only one hosting account is allowed per person/ip address. That's why it is advised to use only one account per family. There will be more than enough bandwidth and space for your whole family.

We would prefer family members to share an account, but if they want separate accounts (because they each need a *.frih.net domain), they may request permission from the staff prior to applying.
saratdear
Just two more questions, and they are sort of connected with banned users.

Q.37
Arrow After a user gets banned, can he request through the Guests forum that a family member would like to open a website?(guaranteed that he could start using that account, just pretending that it is used by a family member)

Q.38
Arrow If a user gets banned, just to steam off his anger at Frihost, what if he starts posting almost about everything about what is banned on Frihost? (like the use of swearwords, etc; and just, you can't ban him again) What would and what could you do?

Well, [THANKS!
SpellcasterDX
saratdear wrote:
Q.38
Arrow If a user gets banned, just to steam off his anger at Frihost, what if he starts posting almost about everything about what is banned on Frihost? (like the use of swearwords, etc; and just, you can't ban him again) What would and what could you do?

Well, THANKS!

I think when they ban a user, they also ban the user's IP. At least that's what I've heard. They can also IP range ban if necessary, according to Bondings. So I doubt banned members can and would come back just to harm FriHost. Wink
Animal
saratdear wrote:
Q.37
Arrow After a user gets banned, can he request through the Guests forum that a family member would like to open a website?(guaranteed that he could start using that account, just pretending that it is used by a family member)

If a user is banned, the chances are any second accounts from the specific IP address (for example, family members) would be terminated also to prevent this kind of abuse. However, if it was left open, it would be very easy to tell if the banned user was using the account - we know what content you have on our servers, so if it appeared on another account, we may be able to put 2 and 2 together Twisted Evil

SpellcasterDX wrote:
saratdear wrote:
Q.38

I think when they ban a user, they also ban the user's IP. At least that's what I've heard. They can also IP range ban if necessary, according to Bondings. So I doubt banned members can and would come back just to harm FriHost. Wink

Banned members can be banned by IP address, email address, username and so on. We have various ways of getting rid of people, so it's not really an issue. Occasionally, banned members try to return but we are on the lookout for this. People abusing Frihost by posting offensive stuff on purpose are highly likely to find themselves in a lot more trouble than they expect. In cases of blatant abuse, we have been known to contact ISPs and have them banned by them as well - losing your ISP / Internet Connection / Email Accounts etc over a few purposefully placed messages is a really dumb move. But it happens sometimes.

The real moral of the story is "don't abuse Frihost" Wink
SpellcasterDX
I'm curious, Animal. How do you keep your points so high if you can only post on FriHost from work?
Animal
SpellcasterDX wrote:
I'm curious, Animal. How do you keep your points so high if you can only post on FriHost from work?

Who said I could only post from work? Eh?
SpellcasterDX
Animal wrote:
SpellcasterDX wrote:

Who said I could only post from work? Eh?

Erm, I think it might have been another mod who said that. I don't know. I might have gotten you confused or I might just have imagined seeing some mod post that. Confused
bambholebaba
Animal wrote:
bambholebaba wrote:

Quote:

We would prefer family members to share an account, but if they want separate accounts (because they each need a *.frih.net domain), they may request permission from the staff prior to applying.

But you are telling that using one account by more than one person is not ''allowed'', as below Surprised

Quote:
saratdear wrote:
Q.34

No, this is not encouraged or allowed. You should have your own forum account that only you use
tidruG
bambholebaba wrote:
Animal wrote:
bambholebaba wrote:

Quote:

But you are telling that using one account by more than one person is not ''allowed'', as below Surprised

Quote:
saratdear wrote:
Q.34

No, this is not encouraged or allowed. You should have your own forum account that only you use

Yes.
Basically, one person cannot have 2 accounts. Let's assume we have a member called A. His username is aaa.
A have any other account on the forum apart from aaa. However, suppose A's brother, B wants to use Frihost. He can create an account bbb.
Animal
bambholebaba wrote:
Animal wrote:

Family members may share a hosting account, but not a forum account.

bambholebaba wrote:
Quote:
saratdear wrote:
Q.34

The above answer was related to a forum account - you shouldn't share your password with anyone. If a member of your family wants to post on the Frihost forums, they should use their own account.

Hosting accounts can be easily shared with other members of your family because you can create new ftp accounts and email accounts for them - they therefore have their own passwords and restricted directory access if required.

So, to reiterate: You may share a hosting account with other members of your family. You may not share a forum account with anyone.
reddishblue
It has been a while since the last post but I was wondering:
Q39. If I was not able to post because of any reason could I get, say _jak_ to post for me to keep our hosting until I get back
ninjakannon
reddishblue wrote:
Q39. If I was not able to post because of any reason could I get, say _jak_ to post for me to keep our hosting until I get back

I would have thought that you weren't allowed to do that. Although, if you were going to be away for more than 45 days I would say that it'd be easier for you to just take a backup of your whole site (including MySQL databases etcetera), cancel your hosting until you get back and also PM Bondings to let him know you'll be coming back.
mathiaus
reddishblue wrote:

Animal wrote:
You may not share a forum account with anyone.

In the post above yours.
saratdear
Ok, it's been a bit long since I posted in this topic, but I have a few questions :-

Q.40
Arrow What does "digging up an old topic" exactly mean? Like, I go to the last page of the Suggestions forum, open a thread in random, and just post - lol, good idea - that is not allowed?

Q.41
Arrow My friend and I decide to make a website together, he will do all the coding and making stuff, and I will do all the posting on the forum, to keep the account active. Instead of him using an FTP program, I give him my Frihost password, and he logs in and manages the account, and I post, is that allowed?

Q.42
Arrow
Frihost Forum Rules wrote:

c. Do not attempt to cuss or bypass the filter. Bypassing the filter may result in your entire post getting snipped.

I am sorry, but I did not understand that? Could someone please elaborate?
Scorpio
Quote:
Q.40
Arrow What does "digging up an old topic" exactly mean? Like, I go to the last page of the Suggestions forum, open a thread in random, and just post - lol, good idea - that is not allowed?

What it means is that, Unless you have something new to offer to the topic(in case of suggestions) or if you have something meaningful to say which may continue the topic you are not supposed to take up old topics.

Topics become old and inactive for a reason that the query in the topic may have been resolved or the news would have become obsolete.
In that case digging up that topic simply to say " I agree with it" or some stuff like that is considered spam since you could have as easily posted that on a currently active topic.

This would be allowed if you are picking up some suggestion topic to which a comprehensive answer has not been obtained

Quote:
Q.42
Arrow

c. Do not attempt to cuss or bypass the filter. Bypassing the filter may result in your entire post getting snipped.

This is pretty simple.
If you decide to tell somebody to F*** OFF(You understand what that is) and then write the same on the forum, the word is censored and appears as a series of asterisks or F*** as I have written above as a result of a word filter which filters out such uncouth language.

By bypassing it you type the word something like this A.B.C.D or A B C D[substituting A.B.C.D with F***)
This may not be covered in the word filter but the word will make meaning nevertheless. That is not allowed
Quote:

Q.41
Arrow My friend and I decide to make a website together, he will do all the coding and making stuff, and I will do all the posting on the forum, to keep the account active. Instead of him using an FTP program, I give him my Frihost password, and he logs in and manages the account, and I post, is that allowed?

You can very well do that I think. But you must realise that the content of your account is only your responsibility and not your friend's. So if he puts any stuff into your account, you will be questioned/warned/banned
mathiaus
saratdear wrote:
Q.40

Digging up an old topic means bringing a topic from several pages back, to the front page by posting in it. Digging topics is only against the rules when it is done so without reason
Rules 2a wrote:
You are not allowed to dig a topic up without a good reason.

'lol, good idea' is against rules 2d
Quote:
Do not post anything that doesn't contribute to the topic (such as "lol", "haha").

though digging a topic up with such content is worse. If you have something valuable to contribute to a topic, feel free to post in an old topic.

saratdear wrote:
Q.41

I've just got in for the day so I'll leave this now. When I'm more awake I'll try answering it then if another member of staff hasn't answered by then.

saratdear wrote:
Q.42
Arrow

Do not swear. Swear words and other undesirable words for the community are filtered out of posts. Trying to edit the word by swapping letters so that it is still recognisable to members as the filtered word, but it is not filtered is not allowed.

EDIT: Damn Scorpio! Posted while I was typing Twisted Evil
saratdear
It's been some time since my last question, and also, I am bumping this question :-

Quote:

Q.41

And also,

Q.43
Arrow Just consider, I am in an urgent need for points. I am about to post a very long post, about four paragraphs, and each
paragraph would get me 4 points. So, if I post the whole thing, what I get is just 4 points. So, I do this :- I type one paragraph in, submit it. I get 4 points. I then edit it. Then type in the next para. Submit it. Edit. Submit.Till I type in the whole post. Which earns me 16 points, and not the normal 4 points.
My question is, will this be considered point system abuse?

And also, about something which I had asked earlier... Could someone tell me whether what I am saying below is correct?

I cannot share my forum account with everyone, but I can share my hosting account. If my brother wants to post, he should have his own forum account, but if he wants to host a site, I can share my hosting account. But, if he wants to have his own .frih.net subdomain, I should contact the staff saying that someone from my PC is going to make an account so that Frihost doesn't ban me for multi-accounting.

Everything said above is correct?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
saratdear
Scorpio
Quote:
Q.43
Arrow Just consider, I am in an urgent need for points. I am about to post a very long post, about four paragraphs, and each
paragraph would get me 4 points. So, if I post the whole thing, what I get is just 4 points. So, I do this :- I type one paragraph in, submit it. I get 4 points. I then edit it. Then type in the next para. Submit it. Edit. Submit.Till I type in the whole post. Which earns me 16 points, and not the normal 4 points.

This is pretty much not possible. Only the first post earns you the full 4 points. Subsequent edits will give you no points provided you have earned all the 4 points in the post itself.
tidruG
saratdear wrote:
It's been some time since my last question, and also, I am bumping this question :-

Quote:

Q.41

You can share your cpanel details with whoever you want (and also your Frihost password). However, we do not encourage this, because there could be a security lapse. Remember that you are responsible for every action that occurs through your account.

Quote:
Q.43

To start off with, you cannot get more than 4 points per post. If you make a long post and get 4 points for it, you cannot edit it to add another long paragraph and get additional points. In fact, after editing, you will not receive any points at all.

Quote:
And also, about something which I had asked earlier... Could someone tell me whether what I am saying below is correct?

I cannot share my forum account with everyone, but I can share my hosting account. If my brother wants to post, he should have his own forum account, but if he wants to host a site, I can share my hosting account. But, if he wants to have his own .frih.net subdomain, I should contact the staff saying that someone from my PC is going to make an account so that Frihost doesn't ban me for multi-accounting.

Everything said above is correct?

Yes, that is correct.
You can share your hosting with your brother, as long as he will use the same .frih.net subdomain.