FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

The tar.gz lowdown

brandonberg
Yo,

im just wondering a couple of things regarding the tar.gz compression/extraction methods..

1. does it compress files a substantial amount? (HTML, txt and images)

2. is it reasonably easy to extract once uploaded?

3. whats a good program for compression/extraction of tar.gz files?

any help with these qns will be great Very Happy

cheers,
brandonberg
hack_man_
I am not sure about the compression, I think it is 1:3 or 1:5.

If you are using DirectAdmin, you can extract and compress tar.gz through the file manager, but I am not sure if you can do this through cPanel.

I have tried loads of apps that can extract and compress tar.gz files, but archives made using those programs are seen as corrupted to DirectAdmin, so they are useless. You can't do anything with them! Move them, delete them, copy them. Nothing! I always need a mod to reset my account for me to fix it.
scotty
Power Archiver handles .tar.gz files perfectly, I've never had a problem compressing, decompressing or anything on DA or PA.

http://www.powerarchiver.com/download/
brandonberg
ok thanks guys ill give it a look at..

its just a pain when im uploading a whole joomla directory with subfolders and files for example and then smartFTP has a cry and disconnects from the server, making me lose track of where im at and then having to backtrace whats been uploaded and what hasnt and exactly where it stopped.. this way i can simply upload 1 file then it pretty much does the rest for me Very Happy
Traveller
brandonberg wrote:
Yo,

im just wondering a couple of things regarding the tar.gz compression/extraction methods..

1. does it compress files a substantial amount? (HTML, txt and images)

2. is it reasonably easy to extract once uploaded?

3. whats a good program for compression/extraction of tar.gz files?

any help with these qns will be great Very Happy

See my discussion of how file compression works: http://www.frihost.com/forums/vp-460890.html#456534

1. In general, "tar" is the archiving method, and "gzip" is the compression method. Thus, ".tar.gz" is just the combination of the two. Because it archives the files together BEFORE doing the compression, it usually has better compression than zip, or other methods that compress each file before adding to the archive.
  2. Very easy. Once you upload through DirectAdmin's File Manager, you'll see a link next to the .tar.gz file that says, "Extract." If you are working on a Linux system where you have shell access, just say, "tar -zxvf filename.tar.gz" to extract the contents.
  3. Tar is native to Unix. Gzip is a later addition, but is available on most Unix-related systems. Nowadays, tar (especially under Linux) has the "z" option which automatically uses gzip or gunzip. If you are using Windows, programs such as WinRAR and others usually work with ".tar.gz" files, as well.
hack_man_
scotty wrote:
Power Archiver handles .tar.gz files perfectly, I've never had a problem compressing, decompressing or anything on DA or PA.

I used 7-zip for my .tar.gzing.
brandonberg
ok thats for clarifying this for me fellas..

ill go and give it ago and see if i can get it sorted..

appreciate the help and info Very Happy
Daniel15
hack_man_ wrote:
scotty wrote:

I used 7-zip for my .tar.gzing.

Yep, I use 7-Zip as well... It works quite well, and it's free Smile
I believe that in 7-zip, you need to TAR the files first, and then you can GZIP that TAR file.

Like Traveller said, "tar" is the archiving method, and "gzip" is the compression method. GZIP can only compress one file, so TAR is used to group (archive) all the files together.
brandonberg
and DAdmin can handle both together?
Animal
brandonberg wrote:
and DAdmin can handle both together?

DA can only extract tar.gz files - no other compressed file type is supported as far as I know.
TribalArt
I have used that powerarchive tool and I managed to upload the file successfully, but it always says when I try to extract it:

Quote:
tar (child): /home/tribalar/domains/thetiedealer.frih.net/public_html/oscommerce-2.2ms2-060817: Cannot open: No such file or directory
tar (child): Error is not recoverable: exiting now
/bin/tar: Child returned status 2
/bin/tar: file.tar.gz: Not found in archive
/bin/tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors

Any one have any suggestoions?
jon9314
7-zip has allways worked perfect for me
TribalArt
I think I have either done it the wrong way but I can not convert any files to tar.gz!

I have used a hell of a lot of files to do it and still none of them do it for me:
7 Zip
PowerArchiver
MediaConverter

Is there any others that works or can some one tell me how to do it?

This is really starting to annoy me as every time I convert a folder [oscommerce], upload i tto the site and all it either doesnt have the 'extract' link....or if it does, then it has the word but then when I uncompres, there is always a error with it so I can't do anything and this is holding me back....

Can some one please talk me through it or do it for me please?
[I will send the file]
Ill donate some one frihs if they can!