FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Should I fully develop this design

Donutey
http://www.donutey.frihost.net/beta/beta.php

I was playing around in The Gimp and I came upon the idea of using angles throughout the design, I was wondering if I should continue to develop this design. The ad is fake and the text is placeholder Rolling Eyes but it is a fluid design...

I should note that this design looks like total crap in Internet Explorer 6 (A combination of lack of CSS and PNG support). So it would probably be best to view it in Firefox until I do cross-browser tests.

Thanks.
Dragonfly-online
Well, i think you should continue development, but add a little more to it. The deisgn looks nice, but it is kind of simple. It would be better to add a little more and not have as much white space as you have there. Otherwise, i think that that angle idea you've got there is pretty nice. Keep workin ;D
VidE
The diagonals are fine, the colors work together, but I agree with Dragonfly that you need more of your page up to see where your going with it. Not much more than a banner right now. But keep it going.
osbits
I do not think so. Sorry to say that.
Donutey
osbits wrote:
I do not think so. Sorry to say that.

* Ignoring pointless non-constructive comment *

I've messed with the design a little and made it a tad bit more mature, but it's nowhere near done. Once again I haven't yet cross-browser tested so stick with Firefox for right now.

I'm starting to worry a bit that the red isn't going/doesn't look right...

http://www.donutey.frihost.net/beta/beta.php
Dragate
well, no offence, but it's a little too simple. Looks like one of those first attempts at website making at business class XD

It's okay I guess. You could alwasy make anything a web layout. Work with angles, but add it into more flowing. Especially work on the menu. The menu being cut off so simply then restarted as a red forum link on the other side, just looks too sharp. It might be just me. I also think that it just looks too old. Now a days, I think sites are more easy to look at. I'm not exactly what, maybe just the whole industry-looking thing, just isn't that nice too look at.
It's a good start. Play around, just angles is too plain. Don't cut off your angles that sharp either.
sbel
Dragate wrote:
well, no offence, but it's a little too simple. Looks like one of those first attempts at website making at business class XD

yeap. exactly. but your concept is good. reall good. you just need to enhance it more. then i guess this will be a real good layout
Donutey
I don't think anyone comprehends that it's not a finished design... it looks simple and underdeveloped because it is simple and underdeveloped...

I want(ed) feedback on the idea and whether I should pursue it, not on the design (as of now). Once again, I realize it looks simple and underdeveloped because it is simple and underdeveloped (The headers aren't done, nor is the menu, footer, page wrapper, most of the typography, graphics/logos, whitespace, and compatibility testing... not to mention I don't really like how the colors turned out) Rolling Eyes
cr3ativ3
Yep keep developing it I love the design the only downside I see is the white space and take out all the falgs at the bottom eles you need them there for a purpose

Overall great design keep it up.
the6thfactor
Great start, I would definitely invest some more time in it. Very clean, but I think you still need to add a bit more color. Far too much white space. And the footer area is a just a mess, theres more going on down there then the rest of the site! Keep working on it though Smile
scotty
I actually like your current design better. I know the new one isn't finished but your current design is very pleasing on the eye.
Josso
Nice and simple, probably quite a good design within that context.
Blu_Spykz
I agree with the above comment, but couldn't get quote to work.

Grrr.

Nice, visually - easy to navigate. Simplicity is best *minimalism*.
Donutey
Thanks for the feedback, I'd kinda forgotten about this design.

Anyway, this weekend I should be able to work on it some more.

On a side note, all those flags on the bottom are me testing out various machine translation systems, and it was a convenient place to put it at the time. Rolling Eyes
Marston
Uh, if you're planning to submit this to OSWD, you should think about making it work perfectly on all browsers: your design is pretty uncomplicated from what I see (layout wise), and you should be able to do it for most, if not all browsers using very few (or no) CSS hacks.
riv_
I like the simplicity. The KISS principle is always good, in my books.
And I also like a clean design with lots of whitespace.
I like the sharp contrasting colors.
Visually, though, it doesn't have a focal point. There's lots of balance horizontally, but no vertical flow.
I think your idea is worth developing. Personally, i would encourage you to develop it with a goal of creating balance...
If that makes sense?
Pryme8
that is very well layed out and designed site, it is simple and easy to navagate... I personaly say KEEP GOING WITH IT! it looks super pro!
WalconHigh
Don't give up on that; I like it. It's clean and neat and very easy to navigate. Well done to you.

One critisism that I hope helps is that it's all to one side, if you know what I mean, it seems to be very 'busy' on the left hand side. But it's nothing major.

Good luck with it.
littlegiant
Donutey, I think you should work on your color coordination a little more. The purple-blue and red seems a little blasι to me. You need some contrasting colors in there somewhere (purple and yellow?)

Also, I would delete the filler ad for now as it could be distracting. If you're going to eventually put skyscraper image ads on your page then you never know what color the ad is going to be so you should be prepared for anything. Using a light blue example ad while you're working on the design could be skewing your sense of color. It's what I would do anyway.
outofnicks
I like the angle theme, you should keep the idea going. I thought it would be cool if you can wrap text at an angle, I haven't the slightest idea how but, for example, if you made the pullquote block with angled sides, continuing the theme, would it be possible to easily wrap the text both left and right?
bcarasco
I think the design looks good but, the little blue bars (theres one at the top and one at the bottom) look incomplete.
illegalhost
Hi, i thnk that the overall design is clean and safe. Well done!

The only problem i have is your rollover effect. The yellow rollover should be assigned to the specific pages that the user clicked on. For now, it seems that the yellow rollover remains below the "Home" button, even when i click the "Review" button. This would be confusing for the user in some time.

In your Links page, i would also much prefer that you could "underline" the header such as Tech Sites or Related Websites. Although the bold is good enough, but, due to the too many words you have placed there, it would be wiser to be more bold in the header.

Just my 2 cents worth. Keep updating! Wink
Bengt
Yeah, develop it mate. It has potential.
Alkmania
I wouldn't go for it, but then again, who am I?
Just go with your instincts but i think you're original site looks way better...
Donutey
illegalhost wrote:
Hi, i thnk that the overall design is clean and safe. Well done!

The only problem i have is your rollover effect. The yellow rollover should be assigned to the specific pages that the user clicked on. For now, it seems that the yellow rollover remains below the "Home" button, even when i click the "Review" button. This would be confusing for the user in some time.

In your Links page, i would also much prefer that you could "underline" the header such as Tech Sites or Related Websites. Although the bold is good enough, but, due to the too many words you have placed there, it would be wiser to be more bold in the header.

Just my 2 cents worth. Keep updating! Wink

Since you posted I believe I've fixed both issues you mentioned on my main site. Instead of developing this design I've been working on the main site's design, however, now I hope to have some time to work on it.