FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

OCR program (your advise)

romaop
Hi Frihosters.
What's the best OCR program? Omnipage? ABBY FineReader8? Another?
I want to quickly build Word documents from scanned documents. Several latin or germanic languages are required.
What are your experiences with Optical Character Recognition software?
What do you advise?
Traveller
romaop wrote:
I want to quickly build Word documents from scanned documents. Several latin or germanic languages are required.
What are your experiences with Optical Character Recognition software?
What do you advise?

Now there's something one rarely sees together: "quickly" and "OCR". LOL!

For a program that's surprisingly good for being free, try SimpleOCR. It is worth the try, and even comes with English, French, and Dutch.

If that isn't good enough for what you need, you'll have to get into the paid software, and there, you usually pay more for OCR that is both faster and more accurate.

The things that makes any OCR slow are the quality of the scan, the program's accuracy at dealing with the scan, and your speed at dealing with the parts that it didn't recognize exactly correctly. The second of those two is also affected by the program's ability to be "trained" for better recognition of the source documents you are using. Of course, that does require some up-front time before it reaches its optimum speed and accuracy.

In general, I liked TextBridge better than OminPage, but it's been a long time since I've looked at these, and SimpleOCR has been sufficient for the few, occasional times I've needed OCR more recently.

Good luck.
romaop
My OCR software experience is just with Finereader5, which came with the scanner. The problem is that a lot of time is spent correcting software mistakes.

You are right, Traveller (OCR=Slow). Thanks for your message.

I'm searching for a good paid version because Finereader 5 isn't helping me much.
pozzler
For those speaking English, who would like to do massive OCR with scripts (without having to click hundreds of times), there is quite an interesting product out there: Tesseract OCR from Google. This is:
Quote:
A commercial quality OCR engine originally developed at HP between 1985 and 1995. In 1995, this engine was among the top 3 evaluated by UNLV. It was open-sourced by HP and UNLV in 2005.

and can be found on: http://sourceforge.net/projects/tesseract-ocr.

This product was internally used by Google, and is believed to be quite effective. Unfortunalely, currently only English is supported.

Hope that helps

Wojtek
kiranaghor
I have used ABBYY Fine reader and for me it worked well. I have not tried another software so i cant tell if it slower but it does the job.