FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Old Shows and Movies

Phil
How many people here enjoy watching old movies and shows? A few years ago my wife started watching old Gary Grant flicks and they were really enjoyable. Really, some of his movies like Arsenic and Old Lace and Bring up Baby are downright hilarious.
We also subsribe to Netflix, so there's no end to what we can watch.
In my mind, many of the old sitcoms don't get enough respect.
My favorites are:
The Andy Griffith show...Don Knotts is incredibly funny.
The Beverly Hillbillies
The Odd Couple...if you ever get a chance to watch the original with Jack Lemmon and Walter Mattheiu, do so. You will not be dissappointed!
The Lucille Ball Show...this in my mind is a classic. Lucy Ball is outragiously funny.
And I'm just going to come out and admit it. Sometimes, I enjoy a few episodes of
Gilligan's Island. Yea, it's goofy, but it can be entertaining too.

It just seems to me that the majority of shows coming out today are bland. Most sitcoms just aren't funny. Period.
imera
I am quite yong so Old TV shows and movies, well, I’m only 18 so I can’t say that I watched the shows or movies when I was young.
TV shows that I watched when I was younger was Steve (the nerd), step by step and other series from that years. And about movies, if I loved tem at that time I probably still love them now.
I do enjoy watching old movies, from the 40’s and up, a lot of cliché but that’s what I love about them, they make me laugh.
My father is 56 this year and he has commented Skippy, the old kangaroo series, it went on television when he was a young boy and it’s come back now, so I can watch it after school.
Traveller
Phil wrote:
... Arsenic and Old Lace and Bring up Baby are downright hilarious.

If you liked Bringing up Baby, you should see His Girl Friday. It's even funnier than Bringing up Baby, and at a machine-gun pace!

Phil wrote:
The Lucille Ball Show...this in my mind is a classic. Lucy Ball is outragiously funny.

Lucy is still the queen of them all: a true genius.

Another genius sometimes underrated (or just not sufficiently known) by today's audiences was Gracie Allen. Sure, George Burns is funny, but Gracie was the actual genius of the two, and their shows are still hilarious.

And I'm just going to come out and admit it. Sometimes, I enjoy a few episodes of
Gilligan's Island. Yea, it's goofy, but it can be entertaining too.

Phil wrote:
It just seems to me that the majority of shows coming out today are bland. Most sitcoms just aren't funny. Period.
Don't forget that most of the best American sitcoms were based upon British sitcoms:
  • All in the Family - 'Til Death Do Us Part
  • Three's Company - Man About the House
  • Sanford and Son - Steptoe and Son
  • etc., etc., etc.

Netflix has quite a few of them available, too, but don't neglect the Britcoms that have not been Americanised. For example, Darling Buds of May (where Catherine Zeta Jones got started) and Only Fools an Horses are some of the funniest TV shows ever made.

Don't forget to watch the movies upon which some of the series were based. For example, The Ghost and Mrs. Muir was not a very good TV series, but was an excellent movie. Similarly, Topper was a somewhat better series, but a great movie.

Finally, let's go WAY back: radio. So many people are terminally jaded by today's Hollywood fare, and may no longer derive any enjoyment from old radio programs, but you really should check out the following, if you get the chance:
  • Burns and Allen
  • Abbot and Costello
  • Jack Benny
  • The Shadow
  • Inner Sanctum
  • Duffy's Tavern
  • The Great Gildersleeve
  • Fibber McGee and Molly

With the exception of the first three, don't bother with TV or movie adaptations of these radio classics - they usually just didn't work out.

Have fun!