FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

mount disk drive

shamil
I have seperate hard disk drive. From suse linux i can't see it. How to mount?
By the way, strange sounds randomly play on random time when i work on linux. What is it?
{name here}
shamil wrote:
I have seperate hard disk drive. From suse linux i can't see it. How do you mount?
By the way, strange sounds randomly play on random time when i work on linux. What is it?

1) By using the command line. Hopefully your hard disk is listed in /dev. If it is, mount it using the file system you formatted it with. For example, if it is formatted with FAT, then:
Code:
#mount_msdosfs /mnt /dev/fd0

That would mount the floppy disk onto the /mnt directory. That's the only time I've used any type of mount command, so if you need to format the disk or mount it with a different filesystem, you will need to consult with the FreeBSD handbook, which should have everything about the system even if you have SuSE.
KHO
fd0?? I thought he said Hard Drive Neutral Not Floppy Neutral.
Quote:
I have seperate hard disk drive.
Neutral

Not sure if SuSe does things differently, but it would then most likely be located at sda(partition #[usually1]). If that does not work, then make sure it is the right #, do this by running fdisk /dev/sda then press "p" and "return" (no quotes of course Neutral) and it will tell you which partitions you have, use that number.
{name here}
KHO wrote:
Quote:
Neutral

Not sure if SuSe does things differently, but it would then most likely be located at sda(partition #[usually1]). If that does not work, then make sure it is the right #, do this by running fdisk /dev/sda then press "p" and "return" (no quotes of course Neutral) and it will tell you which partitions you have, use that number.

If you actually read my post I state that I have only used the mount command for floppy disks, which explains exactly why I used it as an example.
KHO
{name here} wrote:
KHO wrote:
Quote:
Neutral

If you actually read my post I state that I have only used the mount command for floppy disks, which explains exactly why I used it as an example.
Neutral
ok, wasnt trying to be mean or anything, just trying to help Neutral and at like 3AM the eyes fail you a little lol, and you dont notice parts of posts Neutral
{name here}
KHO wrote:
{name here} wrote:
KHO wrote:
Quote:
Neutral

Neutral
ok, wasnt trying to be mean or anything, just trying to help Neutral and at like 3AM the eyes fail you a little lol, and you dont notice parts of posts Neutral

Understandable.
shamil
Excuse me, for delaying my reply. I hadn't enough time to reply. I am away from my computer right now. When i go home i will test it and reply.
Thanks all of you for your help.
shamil
I used dmesg | grep hd command to find name of the device.
Code:
linux:/ # dmesg | grep hd
Kernel command line: root=/dev/hde7 vga=0x31a selinux=0 resume=/dev/hde6 elevator=cfq splash=silent
    ide0: BM-DMA at 0xe600-0xe607, BIOS settings: hda:pio, hdb:pio
    ide1: BM-DMA at 0xe608-0xe60f, BIOS settings: hdc:pio, hdd:pio
    ide2: BM-DMA at 0xe800-0xe807, BIOS settings: hde:DMA, hdf:pio
    ide3: BM-DMA at 0xe808-0xe80f, BIOS settings: hdg:DMA, hdh:pio
hde: SAMSUNG SP0411N, ATA DISK drive
hdf: SAMSUNG SP0822N, ATA DISK drive
hdg: LITE-ON COMBO SOHC-5236V, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
hde: max request size: 1024KiB
hde: 78242976 sectors (40060 MB) w/2048KiB Cache, CHS=16383/255/63, UDMA(100)
hde: cache flushes supported
 hde: hde1 hde2 < hde5 hde6 hde7 >
hdf: max request size: 1024KiB
hdf: 156368016 sectors (80060 MB) w/2048KiB Cache, CHS=16383/255/63, UDMA(100)
hdf: cache flushes supported
 hdf: unknown partition table
Resume Machine: resuming from /dev/hde6
Resuming from device hde6
hdg: ATAPI 52X DVD-ROM CD-R/RW CD-MRW drive, 1536kB Cache
ReiserFS: hde7: found reiserfs format "3.6" with standard journal
ReiserFS: hde7: using ordered data mode
ReiserFS: hde7: journal params: device hde7, size 8192, journal first block 18, max trans len 1024, max batch 900, max commit age 30, max trans age 30
ReiserFS: hde7: checking transaction log (hde7)
ReiserFS: hde7: Using r5 hash to sort names
Adding 506480k swap on /dev/hde6.  Priority:42 extents:1
hde: drive_cmd: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
hde: drive_cmd: error=0x04 { DriveStatusError }
hdf: drive_cmd: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
hdf: drive_cmd: error=0x04 { DriveStatusError }
And it was hdf and i know it was formatted with ntfs. Then executed
Code:
linux:/ # mount -t ntfs /dev/hdf /mnt
command and it worked.
Tahnk you.