FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Algorithmic Poetry

PatTheGreat42
I've been assigned to write some poems. But I don't like writing poetry. I do, however, love programming. So my question is: is it cheating to use a computer to write poetry for you if you write the program yourself?

I hold that since I wrote the program, it's still my work. But others hold that it's not me writing the poetry. What do you think?
LukeakaDanish
PatTheGreat42 wrote:
I've been assigned to write some poems. But I don't like writing poetry. I do, however, love programming. So my question is: is it cheating to use a computer to write poetry for you if you write the program yourself?

I hold that since I wrote the program, it's still my work. But others hold that it's not me writing the poetry. What do you think?

Just like the Postmodern Essay Generator doesnt produce very good essays, I'm very doubtfull as to whether your poem generator will be able to generate any poems propperly.

I suggest writing the damn poem normally - its seriously going to be a lot faster.
tidruG
I'd love to have been assigned to write a poem... sadly, they only care about other stuff here.

And I agree with Luke. Best of luck with programming a program to write you a poem. Smile
qbawler311
pay the nerdy kid in the front of you r class to right a killer essay.
LukeakaDanish
qbawler311 wrote:
pay the nerdy kid in the front of you r class to right a killer essay.

Nerds dont neccesarely write good poems Smile
Petee
Writing a program, to write a poem. That's a rather interesting concept. However, as Luke said, I think it'd be easier just to write the poem. I personally really don't like writing poems, but sometimes you just have to.

I also agree with Luke here
Quote:
Nerds dont neccesarely write good poems Smile

I'm pretty much considered a "Nerd" in my school, and I suck at writing poems. Laughing However, you give me some Geometry or Algebra, then that's a different story Razz
Nameless
I think it would much, much easier just to write a poem yourself. Laughing

Morally, if you created the program that generated the poem, yes, you could reasonably say it was entirely your work.
Aless
I think you should write a poem completely in binary, haha.

That said, a computer-generated one would either be totally brilliant or complete crap, I think.