FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Cannot determine nameserver ip

lxcid
Quote:
Cannot determine nameserver ip for [domainname.com]. Please make sure that it is registered with a valid domain name register.

I keep getting this error when trying to add my domain name to my hosting account. Some error for addon and park domain. I had set my nameserver to ns1.frihost.net and ns2.frihost.net. Could anyone tell me what could be my problem? I also tried other domain name like yahoo, my other domain name and the same problem occurs everytime. except for frihost.com which said its controlled by another user.
Daniel15
I've had a similar problem, except with a .uni.cc domain.

I don't really know how to fix it... Maybe the admins here can help?
Bline
i dont get this error,
what kind of domain are u trying to park?
Bondings
Please post or pm me the domain in question and what you want to do with it. (park, or addon for a subdomain)
Bline
im currently trying to park a domain and im also having the same problem now, i had no problem parking depth-vision.info but now im having troulbe parking depth-vision.us.to.
ive added both nameservers but i stil lget this error?
Bondings
Domains that are not top-level domains, are much harder to park. Sometimes they only work if you use them as your main domain.
cool-online
I have this problem too. cant park it. what happens?
I remember I was able to park a month ago.
sentry
I have top-level .com domain. It looks not works.
hope this issue will be sorted soon.
Bondings
sentry wrote:
I have top-level .com domain. It looks not works.
hope this issue will be sorted soon.

A top-level .com domain should certainly be working. Please contact me with your domain and I'll try to park it for you.
Daniel15
Quote:

Domains that are not top-level domains, are much harder to park. Sometimes they only work if you use them as your main domain.

Can you park non-TLD domains for us (through WHM)?
Bondings
daniel15 wrote:

Can you park non-TLD domains for us (through WHM)?

I can always try. You only have to ask it. Wink
Zythrix
I'm also having problems parking a top-level domain.

I get this message::

Quote:

Addon Domain Additions

could not be modified because it does not resolve to a valid ip address. Please ask the system admin to check their resolv.conf and their dns trust relationship Ignore any messages of success this can only result in failure!

Cannot determine nameserver ip for *******.com. Please make sure that it is registered with a valid domain name register.

could not be modified because it does not resolve to a valid ip address. Please ask the system admin to check their resolv.conf and their dns trust relationship Ignore any messages of success this can only result in failure!

*******.com could not be setup. The subdomain *******.frihost.net was not setup either.

Can you help?
Bondings
Zythrix, please send me the url of that domain and I'll try to park it for you.
Bline
Bondings wrote:

Bondings you are right,
if its your main domain, it works!
but if yo utry to park it, it wont allow!
Daniel15
can you please park a domain for me (or at least try)?

My cPanel username is 'daniel15' and the domain I want to park is stickboarder.uni.cc.
Bline
you will need to request that in the correct forum,
but yeah i didnt know uni.cc still allows DNS services...
Bondings
daniel15 wrote:
can you please park a domain for me (or at least try)?

My cPanel username is 'daniel15' and the domain I want to park is stickboarder.uni.cc.

You should now be able to do it yourself as the problem with parked/addon domains is solved. Wink
However, if that still doesn't work, give me a sign. Wink
Daniel15
It works!

Well, at least i THINK it worked. I no longer got the 'Cannot determine name server IP' message, however a DNS lookup still isn't returning the correct results:

http://dnsstuff.com/tools/lookup.ch?name=stickboarder.uni.cc&type=A

Does DNS propagation take a while?
cool-online
It does not seem to work. I got 500 server error.
Bondings
daniel15 wrote:
It works!

Well, at least i THINK it worked. I no longer got the 'Cannot determine name server IP' message, however a DNS lookup still isn't returning the correct results:

http://dnsstuff.com/tools/lookup.ch?name=stickboarder.uni.cc&type=A

Does DNS propagation take a while?

It looks like it's parked ok, I have no idea about that error. It should be working however in a few hours.

Cool-online, I need the name of the domain you want to park before I can do something about it. Wink
cool-online
Quote:
Cool-online, I need the name of the domain you want to park before I can do something about it.

no need to park again. you already parked my domain a few days ago. Wink
but I have same error as daniel15 gets. well I have to wait a few hours or more. hope it works. Very Happy
Daniel15
It still doesn't work. Your DNS server isn't returning any entries for 'stickboarder.uni.cc'

Quote:

Searching for stickboarder.uni.cc A record at b.root-servers.net [192.228.79.201]: Got referral to C3.NSTLD.COM. [took 88 ms]
Searching for stickboarder.uni.cc A record at C3.NSTLD.COM. [192.26.92.32]: Got referral to NS1.CYLARCOM.NET. [took 3 ms]
Searching for stickboarder.uni.cc A record at NS1.CYLARCOM.NET. [200.69.225.132]: Got referral to ns1.frihost.net. [took 170 ms]
Searching for stickboarder.uni.cc A record at ns1.frihost.net. [216.32.68.250]: Server failure! [took 80 ms].

So there might be a problem with the DNS server (i'm assuming it's BIND9?)
cool-online
Yup,
It has been 5 days after parked my domain. Still server failure occurs.
Bondings
cool-online wrote:
Yup,
It has been 5 days after parked my domain. Still server failure occurs.

I can reach your site without a problem. Your forum with intro movie shows up.

daniel15, I unparked your uni.cc domain and parked it again. Other subdomains do work when they are parked. (like http://frihost.afraid.org parked a few days ago) The only thing I can do for you is change your subdomain to that uni.cc domain if you want. Maybe that is going to work.
cool-online
Im temporarily moved to another freehosting.
Dns will tell you. but, It's a little bit sluggish. not so good as frihost.
I'll keep an eye on stickboarder.uni.cc. when it is up, will be back.
Your hosting is the best and that's why Im still nagging in here. Cool
Bondings
cool-online wrote:
Im temporarily moved to another freehosting.
Dns will tell you. but, It's a little bit sluggish. not so good as frihost.
I'll keep an eye on stickboarder.uni.cc. when it is up, will be back.
Your hosting is the best and that's why Im still nagging in here. Cool

It is back up now, I had to do it manually. Sad

The problem was solved for a few days, and apparantly the server doesn't want to add a new domain unless I update the nameserver manually every time.
Daniel15
Yes! It's finally up!

Are you saying that you manually need to update the nameserver every time? Can you write a script to do it?

Are the entries actually added into the DNS server when we add a parked domain via cPanel? If so, you could just write a cron job that runs every 15 minutes or so that just tells the DNS server to reload the settings (something like /etc/init.d/bind9 force-reload or /etc/init.d/named force-reload or similar)
cool-online
@daniel15
congrat!! Did you take any extra actions to make your dns up? if not, just waiting?
Bondings
daniel15 wrote:
Are you saying that you manually need to update the nameserver every time? Can you write a script to do it?

Are the entries actually added into the DNS server when we add a parked domain via cPanel? If so, you could just write a cron job that runs every 15 minutes or so that just tells the DNS server to reload the settings (something like /etc/init.d/bind9 force-reload or /etc/init.d/named force-reload or similar)

There is something wrong with the dns since yesterday. It's not normal that I have to manually upload it. And it wouldn't good for the server load to run it every 15 minutes as it might take like 5 minutes. All dns settings are re-setup. Wink
Daniel15
Quote:

...All dns settings are re-setup...

So you mean that all the problems are fixed?
Bondings
daniel15 wrote:
So you mean that all the problems are fixed?

No, I just reload the nameserver with all (sub)domains and they are then setup correctly. 2 days ago, they were setup correctly when they were created and suddenly yesterday, something must have gone wrong.