FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

A New Bulletin Board

duckling
Hi everyone,

I've been coding a bulletin board in PHP for 5 months. It really became a good script. I'm trying to add all useful things that I think and that I've seen on other scripts. In the past 5 months, I've set the base of the script. Importantest one was - I think - template system which allows you to be able to edit it the view the sight of the forum with an easy html editor. You can completely change the sight of the forum by editing the template files. Editing templates feature will be included in the Admin Panel as well.

The common question will be "Why are you coding a new bb instead of using the ready-to-use ones?" i think and my answer is:

Yes, there are lots of bulletin boards but some of them doesn't provide my needs and some of them are paid scripts. I'm trying to provide all the things you need and make it free as long as possible.

I'm now thinking about integrating a blog script. I know that there lots of people has their on blogs. This would be a perfect feature because they will be able to provide their members to have their members' own blogs.

Everyone there is interested in coding so, I think everybody here can answer my following question:

What do you expect from a bulletin board?

Your thoughts are really important for me and the feature of my script. You can be sure that your ideas will be included in this script of course it's an useful one and which hasn't been added yet Smile

You will be able to try it yourself in the first quarter of 2007 and you will be able to install and use it in the Summer of 2007. The dates aren't specific so, the first release might come earlier than Summer.

Now, lets discuss our thoughts Smile
[FuN]goku
you should include:
-ranks
-guest, registered, vip , mod , jr admin , admin , owner: Levels
-themes
-all the standard stuff basically
-maybe upload file script.
duckling
of course there are ranks, groups, and file attachments system Smile

you can add/delete ranks or groups accourding to your needs via ACP Smile
[FuN]goku
add an automated bot that randomly posts bits of info here and there. like an advert bot or something.
duckling
I'll add the news from it as it happens Smile

I'm now working on more efficient views of forum Smile
LukeakaDanish
I think you should make it possible to set up a portal type page, through either simple php functions (maybe define functions like "get_newest_post(forum)" and "display_poll_from_post(post_id)") OR through an online wizard.

I often need this when programming pages for clients who want their site to be integrated with phpbb, and want to be able to change their portal page without my help.
duckling
global datas can be useful Very Happy

I was thinking of coding a portal also Smile if there's need, of course, it can be great Smile
alkutob
I hope you succeed in this nice work .

all the best wishes and God bless your efforts
duckling
thanks Very Happy

i'm now working on printer friendly version of forum Smile
duckling
A new RTE added Wink

any ideas? Smile
LukeakaDanish
Statistics, like those on IPB are kinda cool...you could try write some :/
salman_500
add a section :

"Get Your Themes At SoloThemes.com"

Lolx ! Very Happy Very Happy

that is some pretty awsm work your doing there.... really its pretty kool to here that a member of Frihost is making a whole new buletin board !

i wish you the best... may your project be even better than ipb and those other vbulletins watever....

hmmm...

now....

maybe its already there..... but its always good to know what sites are linking to you.. like in phpbb...... and also details stats help you alot.....

Good Luck !
Best Wishes !
fizzo
A Portal like EZ Portal.. will be the best. Good luck on this dude.
duckling
LukeakaDanish wrote:
Statistics, like those on IPB are kinda cool...you could try write some :/

at the moment there's a statistics part including:

Who is online?
    How many people are online?
    How many members / topics / posts?
    Who's the last member?
    Moderator Team
    Who's where?

I have written a calendar script but I haven't integrated yet. When I finish integrating it, there'll be a Forthcoming Events / Birthdays part as well Smile

Quote:
add a section :

"Get Your Themes At SoloThemes.com"

Lolx ! Very Happy Very Happy

that is some pretty awsm work your doing there.... really its pretty kool to here that a member of Frihost is making a whole new buletin board !

i wish you the best... may your project be even better than ipb and those other vbulletins watever....

hmmm...

now....

maybe its already there..... but its always good to know what sites are linking to you.. like in phpbb...... and also details stats help you alot.....

Good Luck !
Best Wishes !

I have to search about it Wink I think it is a modification isn't it Smile Because I looked at phpBB 3.0.B2 and there's nothing about it. Maybe I didn't see Smile

Quote:
A Portal like EZ Portal.. will be the best. Good luck on this dude.

When I finish writing BB, there will be a portal and blog as well as I said before Smile

Thanks LukeakaDanish, salman_500 and fizzo because of your comments and your luck wishes Smile
salman_500
ohh... no sorry.. its not phpbb . Embarassed .. its phpnuke...sorry...

in the admin panel of phpnuke...there is somthin called as "href" or somthin... it gives a list of sites that are linking to you and have been activated lately....

Very Happy many of mine are posts of frihost... coz my sig links to it.. and when ppl click it... that function gets the exact location of the place from where the link was clicked... Very Happy Laughing Surprised
duckling
ok, i will search about it Smile

if it works properly, i can put it to the Admin Panel Smile

I have added YouTube BBCode Smile
mistuh griddlez
Add something like the cash mod....(With all the features your listing I'm going to have to try it out! Very Happy )

Also maybe like add custom profile fields...(just an Idea...)
duckling
modifications won't be included with software except Karma Mod (known as reputation) Smile

i'm going to code the modifications that requested and put it into the modifications part Smile

i'm trying to make this software as useful as possible. it will be very useful for webmasters to build a professional community Wink

i need your ideas at the moment because the main coding is still not finished. the release date will be in Summer 2007 i hope Smile but it's not a spesific date so it can be earlier Smile
ChrisCh
LukeakaDanish wrote:
I think you should make it possible to set up a portal type page, through either simple php functions (maybe define functions like "get_newest_post(forum)" and "display_poll_from_post(post_id)") OR through an online wizard.

I often need this when programming pages for clients who want their site to be integrated with phpbb, and want to be able to change their portal page without my help.

How would you go about integrating a phpBB forum to your current website's design? Because at the moment, my normal site is in one area, and the forums are completely seperate which can get quite annoying! (integrating the forums into the proper website, not the other way around) Smile
Daniel15
Sounds nice, hope your project goes well. If you need a beta tester, please feel free to email me (dansoft [--at--] dansoftaustralia.net)

Quote:

Something like SMF does with SSI functions: http://www.daniel15.com/forum/ssi_examples.php (as an example of this, the home page on daniel15.com reads the news from the forum, with one main line of code, and a loop to iterate through all the entries)
If you implement something similar, it would make your system quite nice (it's one of the best features of SMF)

ChrisCh wrote:
How would you go about integrating a phpBB forum to your current website's design? Because at the moment, my normal site is in one area, and the forums are completely seperate which can get quite annoying! (integrating the forums into the proper website, not the other way around) Smile

With phpBB: Probably close to impossible (well, easily anyways)
With SMF: Easy! See my site at http://www.daniel15.com/ for example (that's really only a few lines of code with SMF's SSI functions).
With the SSI functions, you can also go the other way (integrate a site into the forum): http://www.dynamic-sig.com/

Quote:
Add something like the cash mod

I write the cash MOD for SMF Very Happy
http://www.dansoftaustralia.net/products/smfshop.dsa

Quote:
i'm going to code the modifications that requested and put it into the modifications part

If you have time to, try making a Package Manager like SMF's (it's like EasyMOD for phpBB, but a lot better). It would make installing MODs for your forum a lot easier, and you'll end up with a modding community (well, hopefully Wink)
duckling
Quote:
Sounds nice, hope your project goes well. If you need a beta tester, please feel free to email me (dansoft [--at--] dansoftaustralia.net)

thanks, i hope it will be good Smile yes i will need a beta tester before the first release Smile

a easy mod installer would be good but i have to examine it about security issues Smile

at the moment it is in a phase that you can use it as your forum but i'm changing the all coding with using more global variables, classes etc.

a lot of work on admin cp is needed so when these are ready, i will install it on my account and test, then i will look for security issues/bug (alpha testing). and the last phase before first release (Beta testing). Then, 1.0 final release Smile
TheMasterCheaif
I need to know how you did the register and log in system
Hobbit
You should have some sort of myspace type profiles, as well as the blogs as you mentioned. Gallery would be nice as well.
duckling
calendar added now Wink

well, i think we can include same things but with a different design Smile if you have any design suggestions, please attach a draft picture here Smile
-Jordan-
My advice is to make your bulletin board as configurable as possible. Some people like loads of features, but i'm sure that some will like to be able to switch all of them off and just have a basic BB.
duckling
yes, it will be but at the moment the coding of the core still continues Smile

the coding ACP will be in the last phase Smile
duckling
Done since last post:

-Calendar upgraded
-Ranking system with pips
-Possible URL bugs fixed on topic view
-A research about writing a new template engine has started

Calendar Upgraded

-Possible URL bugs fixed.
-Marking system added (if there is an event on the day, system marks the day with * )
-Integration with board template completed.
-Database table created.
-It's written nearly completely again with a more logical coding.
-Coding and templates splitted. (php and tpl files)

Waiting to do:

-A calendar section on ACP
-Viewing event details.
-Posting events.
-Showing forthcoming calendar events on index of the board.

Ranking System with Pips

-Database table created.
-Pip image created.
-Integration with topic view completed.

Waiting to do:

-Ranking section on ACP
-Integration with profile view.

Possible URL Bugs Fixed on Topic View

-Reaching the topic view with an invalid topic number.
-Reaching the topic view with an negative topic number.
-Reaching the topic view with an invalid page number.
-Reaching the topic view with an negative page number.

A Research About Writing A New Template Engine Has Started

I'm going to write a completely new template engine myself before the first release.

All these has done since 15th December 2006 Smile
the zephyrus
It would help to make it efficient. Sometimes, I visit boards and it takes forever to get to a next page.
duckling
well i'm testing my code's "page generation time"s and the results are really reasonable Very Happy
Chamaleon
About ranks, you can do some cool things, using global variables, and letting include personal ranks uploaded on the server..
For example..
/images/ranks/topposter.gif assigned to $topposter
In my opinion it would be cool
Daniel15
duckling wrote:
well i'm testing my code's "page generation time"s and the results are really reasonable Very Happy

Depends on what you define as 'reasonable'... Is it less than 0.05 seconds per page load?
roboguyspacedude
Include a way to ad mods since all of the current bbs have it and it would allow addons later if you forget something. Also, you should include a point system as an automatic inclusion with ability to turn off and on as well as a shop to buy things. I hate installing those things especially.
duckling
It will include a Reputation System, and maybe Ad Manager but it will not include Shop System. I may code it as a mod that you can download from the same site Smile
duckling
Done since last post:

-Forum displayer codes optimized
-Error handler created
-A template bug in calendar fixed
-A template bug in index fixed
-Stats displayer codes optimized
-Variables in stats changed with more understandable variables
-A new pagination function written
duckling
-User CP code files merged.
-User CP template files merged.
-Links of the User CP files changed.

It was: index.php?act=inbox
But now: index.php?act=usercp&sub=inbox
It is very important to handle language files and using files more efficient.
-Multi-language feature added.
It is a very important feature I think because I will use a little bit different code to use multi-skin feature Very Happy

Daniel15 wrote:
duckling wrote:

Depends on what you define as 'reasonable'... Is it less than 0.05 seconds per page load?

It changes... Pages that I finished coding loads less than 0.05 seconds but some files are still under construction Laughing They will have lots and lots of updates again and again Very Happy So, when the project gets ready to download, they will load in less than 0.05 seconds I hope Smile