FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

My computer has startup problems... Help please?

Dwyer17
First of all, look at these screenshots below. This is what happens every time I log on to XP.

I am using XP Pro. I have no pop-ups. After I log on, my computer is a bit sluggish while everything loads. I have ran msconfig and unselected all the un-essential item on the startup list.

If you need any more information or if you need me to run any scans or post a hijackthis, I would be more than glad to. Thanks!![/img]
LukeakaDanish
According to this topic, turning of stuff on msconfig might be the cause of all sorts of problems Confused
yjwong
There are lots of stuff related to this from Google too.
[Link]

This is one very long thread:
http://forums.speedguide.net/showthread.php?t=180853
Teddy1
You may have de-selected a service within msconfig, That seems what is most likely to have happened.
LethcanAernis
Check back everything in msconfig.. go to www.sysinternals.com and download autorun and in that tool check all that is Microsoft and deselect all that is not microsoft then it will work better. Then put back all the others one by one (after restarts) and see what you need and doesn't need.
Droop
Dwyer17 wrote:
First of all, look at these screenshots below. This is what happens every time I log on to XP.

I am using XP Pro. I have no pop-ups. After I log on, my computer is a bit sluggish while everything loads. I have ran msconfig and unselected all the un-essential item on the startup list.

If you need any more information or if you need me to run any scans or post a hijackthis, I would be more than glad to. Thanks!![/img]

yeah it sounds like u got a bunch of crap running at bootup. Cleaning out ur startup should fix that problem. if u have the time, u can google all the executable and it will tell u what it's used for- Or u could do the autorun thing (post above this) let us know whats up Smile happy posting
Dwyer17
I already have a very slim startup list. I used the autoruns program and slimmed the list even more, running only microsoft corporation programs at startup. The problem still pops up.

I have found a fix for the Win32 error message

But the svchost.exe error continues to pop-up right after I hit enter after entering a password at log-on screen.
blueray
Dwyer17 wrote:
I already have a very slim startup list. I used the autoruns program and slimmed the list even more, running only microsoft corporation programs at startup. The problem still pops up.

I have found a fix for the Win32 error message

But the svchost.exe error continues to pop-up right after I hit enter after entering a password at log-on screen.

When the svchost.exe error is appears. My first impression is that you should infected with a worms.
It's my advice please scanning you hard drive for virus and / or spyware first.

Do you mind shares you knowledge & experiences how you fixed the win32 error.

Thanks you,

Hope this Help,
jeanoradean
Dwyer17 wrote:

You might have to reinstall Windows if the suggested solutions don't work. My experience is that sometimes that's faster than having to keep searching for the problem. Reinstalling doesn't take much time, and you can even do other stuff during that time (like washing the dishes, and just coming back once in a while to press "Next" Smile )
Of course, try the other (simple) solution first like checking the msconfig stuff that you unchecked.

Good luck!
Dwyer17
Are you sure reinstalling windows is the best solution? I would lose so many settings and customizations that I have done over the years, true?
Kelvin
yup you'll loose your settings and you'll have to reinstall most if not all other softwares installed perviously as the registry has changed. You'll also need to reconfigure your mail settings (if using POP3), recustomise your preferences (eg. folder siplay options etc). Reinstalling windows doesn't take that much time but putting everythign back in place does.

If you have Norton or any other program to fix your registry, try that 1st. Also do a complete scan of your system for possible infections.
ratfungus
Hi. Couple of things to try. Firstly, try starting in safe mode and see if you get the problem. If you don't - then it is probably a driver or service problem. If it starts OK in safe mode, you may want to try last know good configuration or system restore (though I wouldn't put much faith in either of these - you can run system restore from safe mode). If this only started after installing something and it starts in safe mode, try uninstalling it from safe mode. If you go down the re-install route, insert your windows CD and skip the repair console and say you want to reinstall, it should tell you at a later stage that you already have windows installed and again give you the option to repair. This time it should reinstall all the OS files (but not any updates you had already installed). It takes a while but at the end of it - should be as it was before i.e. desktop the same and installed applications still working.
tumpat
yeah,i think you should reinstall your windows..hard to tell about the solution..