FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Assembler

sarapicoazul
Hello all,

I am beginning to learn how to program in assembly. Can you recommend a good assembler for Linux and a good assembler for Windows?

thanks
{name here}
sarapicoazul wrote:
Hello all,

I am beginning to learn how to program in assembly. Can you recommend a good assembler for Linux and a good assembler for Windows?

thanks

There are three out there for Linux worth your time: NASM, FASM, and GCC. NASM is probably the best out of all of them if you like to use Intel-style assembly. FASM is in its own league, I believe, and GCC has AT&T style assembly - which has a different feel to it than Intel assembly. I personally dislike it, but it's up to you.

As for Windows, there are NASM, MASM32, FASM, OpenWatcom WASM and GCC. MASM32 is probably the best out there if you want OS-dependant source code under intel-style syntax(not to mention some pretty nifty editors that come with it). WASM would be the second best since OpenWatcom comes with exe2bin(OS dependant to full source, which is good if you want to make an OS). NASM and FASM are pretty much the same, as well as GCC which is the best there if you want AT&T style assembly, which chances are you are not learning anyways.

Keep in mind you're learning a dead art - assembly is utterly useless nowadays unless you want to fiddle with DOS or create an OS. C/C++ compilers have the power to make code almost as good as one that has been made by an expert assembler.
Nyizsa
{name here} wrote:
Keep in mind you're learning a dead art - assembly is utterly useless nowadays unless you want to fiddle with DOS or create an OS. C/C++ compilers have the power to make code almost as good as one that has been made by an expert assembler.

More or less, yes. We all know that C/C++ has the power even for making a (very good) OS. And I think learning asembly helps understanding the computer's architecture better. So it's not a waste of time, but I don't recommend starting large projects.
Bieberman
Well, for Win32 theres the Borland TASM in addition, i used it quite a lot and it worked quite fine. MASM32 is a good alternative for win32, used it too, but its MS, so if u dont like MS much, try TASM, SmileSmile. As Editor theres well the MS VS, its highlighting everythin n s.o., but there are a bunch of free editors availible on the net, just try to google for them, Wink.
simplyw00x
ASM is still used extensively on the demo scene due to its high performance, and also by reverse-engineering/cracking teams.
{name here}
Quote:
More or less, yes. We all know that C/C++ has the power even for making a (very good) OS. And I think learning asembly helps understanding the computer's architecture better. So it's not a waste of time, but I don't recommend starting large projects.

I'm assuming that he's not going to go into OS programming, where he will actually need to know that stuff. Also, there are problems making an OS with C++(don't ask me what I don't know the details). If you make an OS you'll have to learn assembly anyways. I know of no OS that has been made without a single drop of assembly - Linux, Plan 9, CP/M, FreeDOS, etc. all have assembly in them.

Bieberman wrote:
Well, for Win32 theres the Borland TASM in addition, i used it quite a lot and it worked quite fine. MASM32 is a good alternative for win32, used it too, but its MS, so if u dont like MS much, try TASM, SmileSmile. As Editor theres well the MS VS, its highlighting everythin n s.o., but there are a bunch of free editors availible on the net, just try to google for them, Wink.

Even though MASM stands for Microsoft Assembler, there is nothing there made by MS. Microsoft's MASM was defunct in the 16-bit era. It refers of MS assembly style(Intel Style). MASM32 is made by a guy named hutch. Proof: http://www.google.com/search?client=opera&rls=en&q=Masm32&sourceid=opera&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8
Helios
simplyw00x wrote:
ASM is still used extensively on the demo scene due to its high performance, and also by reverse-engineering/cracking teams.

Also by electronic engineers Wink