FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Server 2 Down?

GameFreak
Well, for the entire day today, every 5 minutes, I've noticed that the server goes down and now I think that it has gone down as I cannot access my Site and it's been this way since 10 minutes.
Arnie
Same problem here...

By the way, I have an important question: what happens to email messages sent to server 2 frih.net addresses, while it is down?
brandonberg
thats a 10-4 for me aswell..

me on server 2..

me cant access..

im guessing its general maintainance and would be finished soon..

*fingers crossed*

EDIT:

it seems to be working for me now (like i said, maybe just maintainance) but hold ur breath coz it probably happen again..
Kurosaki-Ichigo
Is it just me or is everyones website just down ? www.bleachzest.frih.net . Ive been checking back for 30 mins and its not fixed so i thought of asking whats happening ?

Goes on search page by the way.
photon
prolly some maintenance, cause its working fine for me now...
GameFreak
Well, looks like it's back, So, I guess this should be locked.
brandonberg
how about now?

mine keeps joing up and down..

FTP is fine though, accessing the page directly though is giving me problems,
Kurosaki-Ichigo
Nope. Goes off for 30 mins and comes back on for 1 minute. This is not a simple apache restart thing. This is serious.
orcaz
yea, mine at orcaz.frih.net also completely down. i thot that this was the one of the frequent hangs or downtimes of the server, where it will be restored in a minute or two, but i tried so many times but still cannot access my site!
orcaz
it is not fixed yet! my site is still down at orcaz.frih.net!
Kurosaki-Ichigo
Thats what i thought at first but it went down again after a few minutes. This is not the frequent apache restart issue. It is something more serious.

My site : www.bleachzest.frih.net
brandonberg
yer i see what u mean now.. mine was up and down and mostly up.. up until not long ago when it went down for too long..

I am now wondergin what is actually going on..

Hopefully an admin will come along and shed some light for us. Very Happy
ChrisCh
Arnie wrote:
Same problem here...

By the way, I have an important question: what happens to email messages sent to server 2 frih.net addresses, while it is down?

As Bondings is removing accounts, it is forcing Apache to restart (ports 80 and 443). As email usually uses port 25 and 110, and is not controlled by Apache, then the server should still be receiving all email. While you won't be able to access your mail using Uebimiau or SquirrelMail, you could still access it using an email program like Microsoft Outlook or Mozilla Thunderbird.
ChrisCh
Try looking here: http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-54399.html Smile
zjosie729
I checked in Server Information, and it said apache is
Quote:
***Stopped***

I hope it will be running soon.
Bondings
The server ran out of semaphores and this caused Apache to crash immediately after starting. The problem should be fixed now and the websites are working again.

Yes Kurosaki-Ichigo, you were right, it had nothing to do with Apache restarts. It wasn't anything serious though, it only caused some downtime till I was able to log in and fix it.

Also, by my knowledge, all other services were working fine on the server so there is no reason to be worried about emails.

My apologies for the downtime.
Arnie
Thanks for confirming that the email keeps running fine even when the HTTP seems inaccesible. It's a big relief! Smile
genchan
I am on Server 2 as well and its not been working for me. It works for a while then suddenly I get an Error page when I try to save my files. Been like that since yesterday even till this very minute.
TeenZine
Bondings wrote:

Im sure its ok compaired to some otherhosts **NOT NAMING THEM** Frihost is so much better. I must of tried 100 sites and theres nothing better frihost is simply the best Smile !
GameFreak
TeenZine wrote:
Bondings wrote:

Im sure its ok compaired to some otherhosts **NOT NAMING THEM** Frihost is so much better. I must of tried 100 sites and theres nothing better frihost is simply the best Smile !

That's true actually. Frihost is too good !!
orcaz
TeenZine wrote:
Bondings wrote:

yea, i agree totally, as it is the host that I have used the longest. haf tried mani other hosts before these, tho they may provide better specifications, but close down very soon, which is very troublesome as I have to move my files to another host.
desertwind
Seems like a maintenace was going on...

Seems fixed now.
shoes22
i must say though the downtime is getting better and better
SpellcasterDX
shoes22 wrote:
i must say though the downtime is getting better and better

Don't you mean the downtime is decreasing? Razz
Agent ME
My site and everything was just down a few minutes ago, but not anymore... is that supposed to be happening?
Animal
Agent ME wrote:
My site and everything was just down a few minutes ago, but not anymore... is that supposed to be happening?

Please search the forums. There are a lot of topics about this: Apache (that's the thing that makes your site work) restarts once an hour so that it doesn't crash. This causes a few moments of downtime. The restart happens at 30 mins past every hour.
SpellcasterDX
Animal wrote:
Agent ME wrote:

Please search the forums. There are a lot of topics about this: Apache (that's the thing that makes your site work) restarts once an hour so that it doesn't crash. This causes a few moments of downtime. The restart happens at 30 mins past every hour.

Is the server going to have to permanently do that? Or will it be removed once server 2 is fixed?
Bondings
SpellcasterDX, no it's not supposed to be permanently, I'm indeed trying to find a fix. However, there will always be restarts as every time the configuration changes(like someone adds/changes a domain), it needs to be restarted.
shoes22
Bondings wrote:
SpellcasterDX, no it's not supposed to be permanently, I'm indeed trying to find a fix. However, there will always be restarts as every time the configuration changes(like someone adds/changes a domain), it needs to be restarted.
Would it be easier to have a set time each day or every few days where all domain changes can happen all at once so the downtime is more consistant?
Animal
shoes22 wrote:
Would it be easier to have a set time each day or every few days where all domain changes can happen all at once so the downtime is more consistant?

No, not at all. This would mean we would only be able to create accounts at a specific time or on a specific day - this would lead to massive delays in processing new users. You wouldn't have liked that when you joined, so new members of Frihost shouldn't expect that either. It would also mean lots more pressure on us to get the work done, and we all work for Frihost in our spare time, so whenever we can process accounts, we do. We don't rely on a specific timetable.

The Apache restart is very quick and only causes a few moments of downtime - if your site does go down, normally a few clicks of refresh will allow it time to come back up again, so it's hardly a major issue at the moment.
garionw
Can you image the other server? or is it a DA thing that makes apache restart?|
shoes22
it's down again. Cool
garionw
shoes22 wrote:
it's down again. Cool

Mines not
Firebolt
Yea it started working again but now its not.

Im not sure whats going on with server two but i hope things get better Crying or Very sad
GameFreak
Well, it seems to have gone down since quite a bit of time....
bulek
Server 2 is down again. Sad
Animal
bulek wrote:
Server 2 is down again. Sad

Seems to be working fine for me... Confused
cr3ativ3
Ok, Sorry Animal for making a new topic its just i thought this was a differen't one because it was a differen't time when it was down and probley a differen't problem so I saw it as a differen't subject. But I guess I was wrong sorry for causing that trouble.

Oh now I see that my time on this forum is not set thats why I was confuzed sorry for that I will go fix that now so this doesn't happen in the future.

So here I will post my question here.

Is server 2 down again or something I havn't been able to get to it in the past hour although I can use my ftp program to upload files to it no problem I can't physically or should I say visual get to the site it just says here in Fire Fox "The Operation Timed Out When Attempting To Contact mrwebbsclass.com"

Ya these problems seem to be happening alot if its a problem with the server the people that have/host the server could you maybe get them to replace it and transfer everything from server 2 to it.

Thanks.
Animal
cr3ativ3 wrote:
Ok, Sorry Animal for making a new topic its just i thought this was a differen't one because it was a differen't time when it was down and probley a differen't problem so I saw it as a differen't subject. But I guess I was wrong sorry for causing that trouble.

So here I will post my question here.

Is server 2 down again or something I havn't been able to get to it in the past hour although I can use my ftp program to upload files to it no problem I can't physically or should I say visual get to the site it just says here in Fire Fox "The Operation Timed Out When Attempting To Contact mrwebbsclass.com"

mrwebbsclass.com is working fine for me - likely to be a problem with your web connection rather than the server.

cr3ativ3 wrote:
Ya these problems seem to be happening alot if its a problem with the server the people that have/host the server could you maybe get them to replace it and transfer everything from server 2 to it.

Firstly, if you read all the info about the short downtimes we experience, you'll see it's not a hardware problem - it's a software issue. Feel free to pay for a fully monitored and managed server and give Bondings the root password if you're unhappy with the Frihost service.

I haven't had any problems with my site today as far as I'm aware, and there are short periods of downtime when certain admin tasks are executed and once every hour - this is to stop Apache crashing and causing some real downtime. These outages are no more than a few seconds (possibly 20) for each restart, so I (personally) don't see the problem with this.

There seems to have been a load of activity on the forums recently regarding the downtime, but as far as I know, it's not got any worse over the past few weeks than it's ever been over the life of Server 2. I think because of all the new topics being created about these short outages, there is a perception that the downtime is much worse than it actually is.
cr3ativ3
Ok I guess my post was a little aggressive sorry for that, thats not what I ment before this starts flamming I'll just correct my self yes I am aware of the 20 second downtimes they don't bother me but in the last few weeks server 2 has been going down for around 10 - 30 mins before it is back up once or twice a week.

I knew it was a software issue I read that from when there was that big downtime dou to that person trying to hack into uk bank accounts I think that was. I resect that they took it down. For that reason but why does server one not get many of these problems doesn't it have the same software?

So once again I am very sorry for making it seem I was being meen/aggressive.
shoes22
Server 2 down...10 minutes and counting
Bockman
just saw this last warning.. it's working now, i'm testing it.
SpellcasterDX
Server 2 down, yet again. For 15 minutes and counting. Sad
Raijenki
It's down...
I can't access my website. (it's a domain)...
cr3ativ3
Ya, It keeps going off and on ever 3 mins for like 2 mins I can ftp files ot the site without a problem but I can't get to the my site visualy.

I don't even get enough time between these outages to finish the installation of Joomla.

Its been an hour.
But frihost is better then anyother host I have ever seen that is free even with these outages. There just kinda annoying.
cr3ativ3
Ok its back up now.
truespeed
Quote:
shoes22 wrote:

Animal wrote
Quote:

No, not at all. This would mean we would only be able to create accounts at a specific time or on a specific day - this would lead to massive delays in processing new users. You wouldn't have liked that when you joined, so new members of Frihost shouldn't expect that either. It would also mean lots more pressure on us to get the work done, and we all work for Frihost in our spare time, so whenever we can process accounts, we do. We don't rely on a specific timetable.

The Apache restart is very quick and only causes a few moments of downtime - if your site does go down, normally a few clicks of refresh will allow it time to come back up again, so it's hardly a major issue at the moment.

I agree with shoes,but i do see your problem,isnt there some kind of compromise,my site was down for 10 minutes at a time sometimes tonight,and although you say in the main its just a cpl of refreshes and its up again,even that to visitors to your site can get tiresome,i have lost a few members on my site because of this... perhaps you could have a set time each day,say 3pm (GMT) or what evers convenient for all the mods.. and process that days new members all in one go..? We all have to wait about a week to have our accounts processed anyway,so i would rather have a longer wait to have my account activated than to have hourly downtime on my site once its up and running.
GameFreak
Well, it's down again......10 minutes counting...
shoes22
truespeed wrote:
Quote:
shoes22 wrote:

Animal wrote
Quote:

I agree with shoes,but i do see your problem,isnt there some kind of compromise,my site was down for 10 minutes at a time sometimes tonight,and although you say in the main its just a cpl of refreshes and its up again,even that to visitors to your site can get tiresome,i have lost a few members on my site because of this... perhaps you could have a set time each day,say 3pm (GMT) or what evers convenient for all the mods.. and process that days new members all in one go..? We all have to wait about a week to have our accounts processed anyway,so i would rather have a longer wait to have my account activated than to have hourly downtime on my site once its up and running.
That is a good point. Any users who are applying for hosting even though they may not like the delay in processing the account, I'm sure they would appreciate having uninterrupted access to their site without hassle. Account activation for new members is a one time thing, reliable access for loyal Frihosters is not Wink
GameFreak
Well, my Direct Admin and FTP seems to be working absolutely fine.

In fact, in the Server Information the Apache seems to be "Running".

Then, how can the server go down? Question
shoes22
GameFreak wrote:
Well, my Direct Admin and FTP seems to be working absolutely fine.

In fact, in the Server Information the Apache seems to be "Running".

Then, how can the server go down? Question
I'm not even sure if there is any maintenence work being done on the server right now either...yet nobody on server 2 can access their site Confused
PriDe
Yep server seems to be down..over 12 min now and still nothing can't access my ftp neither but the DirectAdmin conencts correctly..weird Confused
awesty
Mine was down for a while but it is back up now.
tijn01
I haven't joint freehost that long ago,and in general I think it is a great initiative, however server 2 does appear to be rather instable. Is it normal that is goes down so often or is this just a bad patch?
Keep up the good work freehost...... and get server stable!
PriDe
connected properlly to the site now..seems like problem has been resolved Cool
kirii
Why some times i cant access about 1-2 minutes??
Animal
truespeed wrote:
perhaps you could have a set time each day,say 3pm (GMT) or what evers convenient for all the mods.. and process that days new members all in one go..? We all have to wait about a week to have our accounts processed anyway,so i would rather have a longer wait to have my account activated than to have hourly downtime on my site once its up and running.

This wil not happen. As I described previously, us mods and account creators help with Frihost in our free time - when we can. We are unable to make any specific commitment to being online at one particular time, never mind spending several hours creating all the waiting accounts.

10-20 minute downtimes may be caused by the creation of many accounts at once, it's unlikely based on the amount of time it takes to create one single account, and on the number of users who are not given hosting. While it could happen, it's more likely to be an admin task such as large-scale removal of inactive accounts, software upgrades etc. I can't comment on the timing of these since Bondings is in charge in relation to this.

kirii wrote:
Why some times i cant access about 1-2 minutes??

Try actually reading the topic. The answer is here more than once. Rolling Eyes
SpellcasterDX
Apache 1.3.37 *** Stopped ***

Apache is stopped. And my site's been down for 20mins and counting. Mad
bulek
Same problem here, I can't access my site again. Sad I hope admins will fix that problem soon.
Animal
SpellcasterDX wrote:
Apache 1.3.37 *** Stopped ***

Apache is stopped. And my site's been down for 20mins and counting. Mad

Yeah, looks that way, I'm afraid. We'll probably need Bondings to do a full server restart again and unfortunately, he's not online at the moment. d'oh!
SpellcasterDX
And I was right in the middle of recoding pages and testing them, too. Sad

Now it says

Quote:
Apache 1.3.37 Running

but I still can't access my site. Confused Shocked
truespeed
Im sure we had this same problem last sunday..Is it just a coincedence this has happened again and why is it happening is more to the point? Confused
devroom
Damn. Just when i wanted to do something
Server 2 wrote:
Apache 1.3.37 : *** Stopped ***

Edit: Lol everybody is back-uping now Very Happy
noliver
There are some server problems. Remain calm. Fasten your seatbelts and store your trays.