FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Dual Channel vs Single Channel

badai
which one is better, 1GB dual channel or 1.5GB single channel? all three RAM is the same.
psycosquirrel
It depends on your RAM usage.

If you are using no more than 1Gb of memory at any given time, the 1Gb in dual channel will perform better.

On the other hand, if the extra 512Mb prevents your computer from using virtual RAM on your hard drive (when it runs out of physical RAM), the 1.5Gb would be much faster.
djclue917
psycosquirrel wrote:

If you are using no more than 1Gb of memory at any given time, the 1Gb in dual channel will perform better.

On the other hand, if the extra 512Mb prevents your computer from using virtual RAM on your hard drive (when it runs out of physical RAM), the 1.5Gb would be much faster.

What are you talking about???
He is not asking if 1.5 GB of RAM is better than 1.0 GB of RAM. He's asking which of the two, dual-channel or single-channel, is better.

Of course dual-channel mode is better than the single-channel mode. To be able to have dual-channel enabled, you will need a motherboard that supports dual-channel memory and 2 identical sticks of RAM. And by the way, for your information, there is no such thing as a "dual-channel RAM" as labels on some RAM packages tell people. The dual-channel capability is actually a motherboard feature and not a RAM stick's.
badai
1. we both knew if I use 1G of RAM, it will become dual channel and if I use 1.5G of RAM, it will become single channel.

2. we both knew dual channel is better than single channel --- for the same capacity of RAM of course. but i was asking for different capacity.

3. we both knew to have dual channel enabled, we need mobo that supports dual channel memory and 2 identical sticks of RAM, and with 3 sticks of RAM, it will become single channel, hence the question and the answer (from psycosquirrel)

4. he never say anything about dual channel of RAM is that the RAM itself is dual channel without mobo supporting it, that is why he told me 1G dual is better when.... and 1.5G single is better when.... now he is talking about the same mobo and pieces of RAM. he is not that stupid to mean: go buy another dual channel 1G RAM when.... or go buy another 1.5G single channel when....

5. i don't ask if 1G is better than 1.5G or dual channel is better than single channel. my question is: which one is better, 1GB dual channel or 1.5GB single channel. see these 3 questions:

i) 1G vs 1.5G
ii) dual channel vs single channel
iii) 1G dual channel vs 1.5G single channel

see?

now you tell us, what are you talking about djclue917? or should you change your nick to djclueless917.

by the way, i already bought another 512M.

djclue917 wrote:

psycosquirrel wrote:

What are you talking about???
He is not asking if 1.5 GB of RAM is better than 1.0 GB of RAM. He's asking which of the two, dual-channel or single-channel, is better.

Of course dual-channel mode is better than the single-channel mode. To be able to have dual-channel enabled, you will need a motherboard that supports dual-channel memory and 2 identical sticks of RAM. And by the way, for your information, there is no such thing as a "dual-channel RAM" as labels on some RAM packages tell people. The dual-channel capability is actually a motherboard feature and not a RAM stick's.
psycosquirrel
Ouch.

I love it when people have my back for helping them. Cool

Anyways, your responce said the exact thing as mine did, djclue917. Try to be a bit more friendly, we are all just trying to help each other here...
djclue917
psycosquirrel wrote:
Anyways, your responce said the exact thing as mine did, djclue917. Try to be a bit more friendly, we are all just trying to help each other here...

No it didn't. We didn't say the exact same thing.

By the way, I'm sorry about the "???" and other stuff. I was just mislead by this thread's subject. Wink
djclue917
badai wrote:
5. i don't ask if 1G is better than 1.5G or dual channel is better than single channel. my question is: which one is better, 1GB dual channel or 1.5GB single channel.

To be able to compare 1GB dual channel VS 1.5GB single channel, you have to compare 1 GB VS 1.5 GB and dual-channel VS single-channel. You just have to weigh the pros and cons in each scenario.

Now tell me, if you are comparing 1GB dual channel VS 1.5GB single channel, what criteria would you use? RAM capacity (1 GB VS 1.5 GB) and RAM technology (dual-channel VS single-channel) of course.

Quote:

see these 3 questions:

i) 1G vs 1.5G
ii) dual channel vs single channel
iii) 1G dual channel vs 1.5G single channel

see?

Hmmm... Where are the other two questions? I can only see one... Question

Quote:
now you tell us, what are you talking about djclue917? or should you change your nick to djclueless917.

Oh nice idea. I was thinking of doing that. Maybe you could help me?

Quote:
by the way, i already bought another 512M.

If you bought another 512 MB stick, then there would be really no point in asking which is better in the first place right?
wahowee
guys i have 1G 533/DDR2 and a 2G 667/DDR2 stick.

which is better?

option (A)
have both stick plugged in which will result to total of 3GB memory, but of course i think it will follow the 533 speed, don't know if this is correct. and what mode is this?

or

option (B)
use the only the 2G 667/DDR2. which will obviously have 667 speed, but 2GB memory only. i guess this will be single mode.

guys i need some advice on this one because i have heard from some of my friends that you can't plug-in sticks like 533 and 667 at the same time. or if this is possible which one is better A or B?
David_Pardy
You can use both sticks at the same time, it will run at the slower speed.

If you're doing work which is memory intensive you will probably notice a benefit with having all 3GB in the computer. I would suggest testing out both methods for a few weeks each and going with whatever works best for you.
badai
go for option A.

i already tried 2.5x single channel vs 2x dual channel. it seem more RAM on single channel are better than less RAM on dual channel.

but i didn't use my computer for video editing or editing large graphics. only normal works and games.