FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

DVD collecting

jasmine
I have this hobby of collecting DVDs (particularly asian movies).

Weird thing is, yes, I am an anime fan, but I'm also purchasing asian films I'm not even aware off just for the hell of it.

Yet, I end up purchasing really good movies. HAHA. I must have a knack on it.

So now I have quite a bunch of asian DVDs coming from Japan, Korea, China etc. Most of which I am not aware of the plot. Very Happy
fpsaddict
Hell yes I'm not the only one ^_^ Most of the time I just order animes with really weird names because I get a kick out of that kind of stuff, and anime rules Very Happy
indianinworld
Even i have the hobby of collecting DVD's. Most of the movies in the List are from native Languages from India.
And other set contains Classical - Worth watching English Movies.

PS - Iam a die hard fan of Tom Hanks.

In Anime collection - My most favourite is Lion King - 1 and Lion King2,
Tarzan 1 AND Finding Nemo. Great movies to watch - Especially the sounds tracks from Lion King - 2 (Simba's Pride) and Tarzan I (Phil Collions - You will be in my heart).
jasmine
Recently my tastes are running for asian series. I don't care what asian country they come from, as long as they are series.

The latest I have is from Japan though. An anime series titled Kyou Kara Maoh.

The first part is kind of boring but the plot turns out to be really good as the series goes on. Very Happy I'm now addicted to it! LOL
Warriorza
Lol, that's cowl, I just go to the cinema or hire a film Very Happy
jasmine
I also recently bought a Japanese series titled Yoshitsune.

It's taken at the time wherein samurai's still roamed the land.

This is quite interesting. Very Happy
Cyberius
Hi, I collect all movie about star wars and battlestar galactica, I think this two collections are wonderfull, if you listen to their messages we can lear about the life, ok Im not fanatic, I only want to say that for me there are a good stories, The Lord of thr rings and Matrix are other callectons very good
jrs32
I just watch/buy all the movies I think look good or interesting.. My favorite are the Saw movies. I love them!! Haven't seen the third one yet but I might go see that tomorrow night! I have hundreds of dvds collected now. I love movies!!
arkebuzer
jasmine wrote:
I have this hobby of collecting DVDs (particularly asian movies).

Weird thing is, yes, I am an anime fan, but I'm also purchasing asian films I'm not even aware off just for the hell of it.

Yet, I end up purchasing really good movies. HAHA. I must have a knack on it.

So now I have quite a bunch of asian DVDs coming from Japan, Korea, China etc. Most of which I am not aware of the plot. Very Happy

I collect too, but only on my computer. I watch movies on my computer so it´s a lot more practical... If I however would have a TV and a DVD player I would most likely use discs instead.
furtasacra
My husband collects DVDs like a lunatic. I just organized the collection yesterday, it took hours. We're up to over 200 movies. Only about two dozen are mine, mostly horror and science fiction, some anime, and some things that are just plain weird. I want to get all of Tim Burton's movies, and I want to get boxed sets of Babylon 5 (my favorite TV show ever) and Farscape. And all the Evil Dead movies. I love Bruce Campbell. Gimme some sugar, baby.
harryj03
i currently own 2,923 dvds... my housekeeper keeps them in alphabetical order for me
jasmine
harryj03 wrote:
i currently own 2,923 dvds... my housekeeper keeps them in alphabetical order for me

Woooow! That many DVDs?! I envy you! XD

With that much in stock, and with your housekeeper keeping them in order, you could practically open up a rental shop! Smile
KellaDayne
i'm not collecting such a stuff.... i don't really bye CDs or DVDs... don't know why - may be, coz i don't really need it - don't feel like i'll watch it more than one time... (though i understand, it's not the matter of watching sometimes, but just collecting)...
anyway, have some films on DVD at home - the films, which appeared a long time before DVD appeared... as soon as i saw them on DVD, i'v bought them - love those films and want them to stay with me as much as it's possible... but... there're onley 5 DVD's in my huge collection ))
Higginz
i dont really tend to buy dvds as much but when i do i tend to get kinda the same genre ( american gangster films ) so you could say i kinda collect theym lol
Tatsumaru
I'm happy I'm not that interested in movies and dvd's, I already have a growing collection of ps2 games and metal music albums to be afraid of haha...
jasmine
Tatsumaru wrote:
I'm happy I'm not that interested in movies and dvd's, I already have a growing collection of ps2 games and metal music albums to be afraid of haha...

Sometimes, I get what you mean. I like looking at my collection of Dvds. But when I sometimes think of my expenses. Wow!. XD
KellaDayne
hey, but do you really ofte watch those films?

for me... it's like when i have a DVD at home, i always know, that i can watch it anytime i want and don't have to watch it right now, because later it could be more convenient... but when i see that very film on TV, i deffnitely watch it! donno - sort of psychology.. my friends do the same..
thealpha
i used to collect DVD too
jasmine
KellaDayne wrote:
hey, but do you really ofte watch those films?

for me... it's like when i have a DVD at home, i always know, that i can watch it anytime i want and don't have to watch it right now, because later it could be more convenient... but when i see that very film on TV, i deffnitely watch it! donno - sort of psychology.. my friends do the same..

I don't know... hmm... when I get a new DVD I definitely watch it. At once! LOL.
desertwind
I have a collection of around 500 odd DVDs. Single and multiple track ones. I collect non-english movies mainly.
jasmine
desertwind wrote:
I have a collection of around 500 odd DVDs. Single and multiple track ones. I collect non-english movies mainly.

What do you mean by odd?
GProject
I suppose I am a bit of collector, although in the 'quality not quantity' sense. I'm just approaching the 200 mark in terms of numbers, but what's especially nice in terms of having a 'collection' is that they are almost all movies that I really enjoy, or that mean something to me.

I do have a few that I intend to sell, either because they were blind buys, or the they were cheap, or I got them as part of a bundle. For the most part though, I love all the movies I own. You can view my collection over at DVDSpot.
paul_indo
I have around 400 now. I mostly like older movies, American or English, and anything with Rowan Atkinson, Especially Black Adder.
jayrelle
I do collect dvd movies but mostly are cartoons, disney and pixar animation and dreamworks works productions like nemo, shreak, shark tale, beauty and the beast. Others are charlie and the chocolate factory, series of unfortunate events, and many more..
rsonic
I do watch anime but seldom collect those DVDs. but i do collect DVDs that are about Wars. Perhaps i love watching soldiers doing cooperation. like pc game eg. CS
jasmine
Sometimes it really annoys me when I bought a set of DVD THEN I'll find another DVD of the same title compressed into one disc!

But heck, what can you do when you are a fan of a show? XD
agustin
DVDs are to expensive for me so I copied them.... not relly good but i could see it
jasmine
Actually, I know its not really a good thing, but I often buy pirated copies.

You have to admit, it favors the masses.
JC Denton
I got some bizarre drawing to B-movies. Therefore I love to collect them. Doesn't really matter where they are from as long as they are so bad you laugh at them. The one I am most proud of is "Hercules in New York" with Schwarzenegger. A must see for everyone. "Ninja Terminator" is another one which there should be a trailer for on YouTube. I don't know if I can count "King Pow: Enter the Fist" since is was created from the beginning to become one of the best B-Movies ever, but it's a must see anyhow.
jasmine
Recently, there was a rain in one of 'pirated' DVD areas here in where I live. It was even broadcasted in TV. This happened last Saturday (I think). Yet, when me and my friend went there yesterday (sunday) the DVD pirated stalls were up again and selling like crazy. XD

You have to admit, as long as there will be people collecting pirated DVDs, such production will never cease.

And the masses will remain happy. XD
GProject
jasmine wrote:
Sometimes it really annoys me when I bought a set of DVD THEN I'll find another DVD of the same title compressed into one disc!

But heck, what can you do when you are a fan of a show? XD

Surely those versions where more titles are crammed onto a single disc are at a lesser quality though? I'd prefer the multi-disc set. Also, don't buy the pirated stuff - you're only adding to the problem!
bigdan
I love collecting DVDs, I have about 3 shelves full of DVDs, don't have specific numbers, at least 100+.
hiquality
I am an anime fan too Very Happy ... i have DB DB Z and DB GT full collections ( movies included ) devil may cry ... inuyasha ... ARC the lad...Full Metal Alchemist... sailor moon Embarassed...Yu-Gi-Oh(i love this one) ... and of course the entire POKEMON collection Very HappyVery Happy - and I'm just at the begining Very Happy Twisted Evil
Anime are the BEST!!
eday2010
I collect TV shows on DVD. I stopped buying movies a year or two ago (except for the odd novelty movie) when the HD-DVD and Blu Ray were coming out. I figured I would wait and buy movies on those since I want a mini digital movie theatre in my house one day Smile. But since most of the shows I like are not shot in HD, there's no point in NOT buying them on DVD Smile
melissareich
Thats really cool! I've only seen like one asian film and I think it was The Ring... I'm not really a fan of subtitles so I don't like to watch movies in different languages. Anyway my brother collects all kinds of DVDs... he even buys ones that are like only $1 and aren't even in plastic DVD cases. Sometimes I hate buying DVDs that are like $20 and I only watch them once... it seems like a waste. But I see if you're a collector, prices shouldn't be your first thought! Anyway good luck with your collection Smile
Bigeezii
I don't get it, these people that collect DVD's, once i watch a movie once i don't want to re-watch it.
Vinayak619
I only collect DVD's of English movies as they are superb and mindblowing.
MeddlingMonk
I tend to collect my favourite movies and series on DVD. I have quite a few season boxsets (ie. Stargate, MacGyver) now and my movie collection is slowly growing (I think I'm up to about 15 boxsets and about 30 movies). I only collect those movies I really enjoy, though - films that are "just alright" I am happy with taping when they air on TV (although I tend to record the films I haven't got, then eventually replace them with the official DVD when I see them on special). I am holding off getting series like Star Trek Enterprise on DVD, though, since I know it's made in HD and will eventually get on Blu-ray/HD-DVD when it comes out here.

The trouble is finding the time to watch them... there are a few I've bought I just haven't had the time to watch (especially those boxsets, with their twenty or so episodes).

There are a few movies, sadly enough, that haven't made it to DVD here in Australia yet....
Billwaa
I just had my dad purches 500 DVDs from Chinese, mostly educational DVDs. But I end up not watching it cause I didn't expect he buy so much. I don't even know where to start. So much to learn, too much to learn.
Rico
What’s the difference between collecting and hoarding?
thejam
DVD's are on every street corner here in Shanghai. And the best thing: there cheap as hell! one brand new DVD which is probably not even released yet is available in good quality ( sometimes the subtitles suck) for about $0,7 ct.
Dean_The_Great
DVD collections are some peoples serious business. I've met people who will wait for payday just so they can go get some more DVD's. What will happen, I wonder, when everyone converts to Blu-Ray? Are these people going to buy them all over again? I suppose that's what happened to VHS, but at least a DVD doesn't degrade nearly as quickly as a VHS tape.
MeddlingMonk
I suspect once movies and TV shows on Blu-ray or HD-DVD (whichever wins the format war) becomes cheap and readily available, some people will go out and replace their collection of DVDs. Others won't, as the newer high-definition players should "upscale" the standard definition DVDs (even though it won't be true HD, it would be better than just SD). There are also some shows that were never produced in anything greater than SD, so unless the original materials exist for remastering in HD (like the original Star Trek), I don't think there would be much point replacing them with Blu-ray or HD-DVD editions (if they are even released) unless you wanted a whole season/series on one disc.
agustin
I collect skate dvds... I like to watch skate videos... i love it. every month I spend money in new videos-- and new ones coming up...
exskool
I have 5 seasons of gilmore girls dvds
chrisallard5454
Friends is by far my most favorite dvd series