FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Any good video/movie editor?/Maker?

izimngcubes15
Anyone know a movie maker/editor like Windows Movies Maker, but better? And is it free? Thanks!
orno
something pretty basic/advanced (depending on how you look at it) is virtualdub/nandub. its free (opensource) and can be used for movie editing, like cutting out stuff and playing with your audio/video streams. if, however, you want to do stuff like add crazy effects to your videos and what not, maybe colorful movie editor, but ive not tried it myself so dont take my word for it.
eLto
Here's a list from the "I'm feeling lucky" button on google, searching for "free video editing software"

desktopvideo.about.com wrote:
1) Windows Movie Maker 2
Windows MovieMaker 2 is a capable little editor and ships free with virtually all new XP computers these days, with upgrades available on the Microsoft Website and other addons available as part of the Plus! package.

2) Apple iMovie'05
Apple iMovie '05 is an excellent (and free) video editor for the Mac platform, with advanced video editing features and a lot of addon and plug-in support. You can find more information about iMovie at Apple's iLife '05 site. Note that this software is free only if you buy a new Mac. You can purchase it, however, if you just want the software.

3) Avid FreeDV
Avid's free software lets you get in the Avid door for free. Fairly difficult to use interface, although over a dozen pretty good tutorials are available from Avid's website. Originally developed for Windows XP, FreeDV now runs on Macs on the OS X platform.

4) Wax
Wax is a homegrown video editor from Debug Software that started out as a college project. It's now a mature piece of software, but it's user interface leaves A LOT to be desired. However, I have to admit, it gets the job done. If you are insistent on not spending money on software, then go download Wax, it just may work for you.

5) ddclip Free
DDClip Free is another homegrown video editor, this one from SoftLab-NSK, a multimedia company headquartered (apparently) in Russia. Its interface is a bit difficult and this product is really aimed at the geeks among us, but it's free and that's the best thing about it. SL openly admits that this version is no longer supported and they'd like you to go with one of their "retail" versions. I didn't download or test this product, so I can't really comment. Again, let the buyer beware, and so on.

6) Zwei-Stein
Zwei-Stein 3.01 is a freeware and according to their Web site, "offers many advanced features unavailable elsewhere." That may be, but the system is for technogeeks only. (Sorry ThugsAtBay, but I have to protect my readers.) If you feel adventurous and you don't mind getting under the technical hood, this could be for you. My test drive of the product proved that it's for real and can do the job. It's just not all that user friendly.

7) HyperEngine-AV
HyperEngine-AV from Arboretum is a new product for the Mac (it runs on OSX) and has an interface that is all its own. Its drag and drop interface is intuitive and different. By different, we mean really different: there are literally no video or audio tracks. There are, in fact, no tracks at all. It's good to see an alternative to Apple's iMovie for Mac users. By the way, HyperEngine-AV sold for about $50 last year.
Manufacturer's Site
monzoncf
You can use the DeskShare Video Edit Magic. I all have the lates movie features like chroma keying, red eye, lot of transitions and effects and what more, you can render the video as 1 frame per second! As far as I know, it is the fastest video rendering time. Give it a try and you'll see the difference on the other products.
lukeropro
eLto wrote:
Here's a list from the "I'm feeling lucky" button on google, searching for "free video editing software"

desktopvideo.about.com wrote:
1) Windows Movie Maker 2
Windows MovieMaker 2 is a capable little editor and ships free with virtually all new XP computers these days, with upgrades available on the Microsoft Website and other addons available as part of the Plus! package.

2) Apple iMovie'05
Apple iMovie '05 is an excellent (and free) video editor for the Mac platform, with advanced video editing features and a lot of addon and plug-in support. You can find more information about iMovie at Apple's iLife '05 site. Note that this software is free only if you buy a new Mac. You can purchase it, however, if you just want the software.

3) Avid FreeDV
Avid's free software lets you get in the Avid door for free. Fairly difficult to use interface, although over a dozen pretty good tutorials are available from Avid's website. Originally developed for Windows XP, FreeDV now runs on Macs on the OS X platform.

4) Wax
Wax is a homegrown video editor from Debug Software that started out as a college project. It's now a mature piece of software, but it's user interface leaves A LOT to be desired. However, I have to admit, it gets the job done. If you are insistent on not spending money on software, then go download Wax, it just may work for you.

5) ddclip Free
DDClip Free is another homegrown video editor, this one from SoftLab-NSK, a multimedia company headquartered (apparently) in Russia. Its interface is a bit difficult and this product is really aimed at the geeks among us, but it's free and that's the best thing about it. SL openly admits that this version is no longer supported and they'd like you to go with one of their "retail" versions. I didn't download or test this product, so I can't really comment. Again, let the buyer beware, and so on.

6) Zwei-Stein
Zwei-Stein 3.01 is a freeware and according to their Web site, "offers many advanced features unavailable elsewhere." That may be, but the system is for technogeeks only. (Sorry ThugsAtBay, but I have to protect my readers.) If you feel adventurous and you don't mind getting under the technical hood, this could be for you. My test drive of the product proved that it's for real and can do the job. It's just not all that user friendly.

7) HyperEngine-AV
HyperEngine-AV from Arboretum is a new product for the Mac (it runs on OSX) and has an interface that is all its own. Its drag and drop interface is intuitive and different. By different, we mean really different: there are literally no video or audio tracks. There are, in fact, no tracks at all. It's good to see an alternative to Apple's iMovie for Mac users. By the way, HyperEngine-AV sold for about $50 last year.
Manufacturer's Site

Ooh, great list, I might try some of them out
eLto
I wasn't just listing software, I was telling you that Google gives more direct answers, faster. Whenever I wonder of something like this, I google it. If I post in forums, I'll have to wait some hours to get my answer.
danny999911
I have been searching for ages for some free video editing software and I cannot find a single good one. They are either too slow or don't do what I want to do (change The volume and mix tracks half way through the movie.

The best thing i've seen is imovie - but it's not avallible for windows (obviusly). I wish Microsoft would make a decent movie editor for free - like apple. Mad
cheeta
Ulead came with my Camcorder... which is not a bad product for begainer like me... :p

http://www.ulead.com
turbosquid
The problem is with video editing is that you tend to have basic linear editors (such as virtualdub / nan dub etc.) these are great for basic stuff but if you want to actually edit a video and move sections around create propper fades and wipes etc you need a non-linear editor.
Non-Linear editing allows you to pretty much anything with a video, but they tend to be a lot more complecated to use purely becasue they have to be that way. There are some cheap non linear editors out there but they are often aimed at novice users and many of them try too hard to create nice simple looking interfaces and wizards this quite often means you end up with a pretty looking but slow editor. I have been lucky in my job that i have had chance to use quite a few different video editing programs, i have not as yet seen a freeware non-linear editor that realy impressed me.

If you are seriously into video editing then there is only one real pro-sumer choice and thats Adobe's execellent Premiere package it's expensive but you can do almost anything with it.

http://www.adobe.com/products/premiere/

I believe Ulead videostudio is fairly good, personaly i found it a little lacking, but that maybe because i am used to Premiere. It is however a lot cheaper than the above.

http://www.ulead.com/vs/runme.htm

For the real basic stuff the afore mentioned virtual-dub is great and free but you cant really do that much editing with it, its of more use for encoding AVI's and applying basic filters, but i still does it's job very well.

http://www.virtualdub.org/

Now for somthing NEW called "Jahshaka" i have not had chance to try this software so have no idea what it's like but it says you can edit with flexibility and speed! You never know it may be just what you want and i think its opensource / freeware. Give it a go if it's any good please post a reply and let us know.

http://www.jahshaka.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=1&Itemid=46

Hope you find somthing to help you out.

TurboSquid
redice
Oh, Thats was just I want to find!!!

thanks for the link!