FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Hard Drive Partitions

Tony The Tiger
I am contemplating partitioning my 40 GB internal HD when I reformat it this week. I generally do not have much space to play with as usually only 5-8 GB is free at any given time and the system starts to act funny if you use too much of your hard disk. I am wondering if I have to know how large each partition has to be in advance of partitioning? Can I reformat and install all my program files and then partition?
{name here}
Tony The Tiger wrote:
I am contemplating partitioning my 40 GB internal HD when I reformat it this week. I generally do not have much space to play with as usually only 5-8 GB is free at any given time and the system starts to act funny if you use too much of your hard disk. I am wondering if I have to know how large each partition has to be in advance of partitioning? Can I reformat and install all my program files and then partition?

A partition can be as small as CP/M 3's max HD space(128 Megs, I believe). A partition can be as large or as small as you want it. If you were to reformat and then install your programs before partitioning you risk a chance that you might cut right through one file and screw the first partition up.
Kelvin
Quote:

A partition can be as small as CP/M 3's max HD space(128 Megs, I believe).

I think Tony was asking for an appropriate size for partitioning. So 128MB is not going to work. The partition can be as small as you want it to be. 10MB etc.

For me, i generally go for 5-10GB depending what you will intend to store in your C drive. I usually only store the OS, drivers, critical utilities/apps in C. The rest will be stored in D drive (the partition). Thus you will have enough space for temp folders and for windows to create virtual memory (uses 1.5x the size of your RAM).

By limiting the C drive and apps installations, image backups will take up less space as well. I'll suggest partitioning before installation unless you are planning to use 3rd party software. I'll still go for partition 1st.
test32rota
Tony The Tiger wrote:
Can I reformat and install all my program files and then partition?

You can resize partition with special apps, without any damage to installed software. But I think it's task for an experienced user
Kd527
test32rota wrote:
Tony The Tiger wrote:
Can I reformat and install all my program files and then partition?

You can resize partition with special apps, without any damage to installed software. But I think it's task for an experienced user

Yeah, it's probably best to install everything after you have already reformatted and repartitioned. That usually has worked best in my experience. If you're bent on doing it the other way, you can find some applications like Partition Commander that do that (but be careful if you're using a RAID).
exarkun
I partitioned using the diskpart or fdisk command. There is not actually any other programs required. And you can install programs before you partition as well, as partition will only separate the free space for you to install a new OS.
myworld
I always partition after installing my programs as I have no idea how much space I want and it is only when I have done all that that I get an idea of where I want to go.

I have used partition magic 8 to do this partitioning as this stage and have never had any problems.
budazz
I usually partition my HD 60 40 percent... 60 for my applications including the OS and 40 for the backup...
chrissmith
You have to know how large each part of your hard drive will be before you install the programs. This is because you choes the size of each partion in the windows reformating phase.
internetjobs
u can use partition magic,

boot u r system using partition magic, and u can resize your partition as u wish, the data in the same drive will not corrupt.
myrevolt
This is probably a bit too late considering the time stamp (a week late?) but for future reference, I am fond of the GParted Live CD, not only because its open source, but because I have used it a lot with my 200GB hard drive and have had no problems so far; yet I did have a problem with Partition Magic with my older 30GB hd (I couldn't boot into Windows because the MBR got screwed up, I didn't know what I was doing at the time so I just wiped it, this was months ago...)

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=115843&package_id=173828

P.S. I have over 20 partitions currently (though you stated you have a smaller hdd so you shouldn't have quite so many) so you should see what you are comfortable with - they are useful for multiple OSes or if you want to organize more efficiently.
carlospro7
Partition then copy. You'll want to clean up your computer anyway. I have three partitions: one for virtual memory, which ocated in the first slots of my harddrive (since those places in the HD are generally the fastest. It doesnt make too much of a difference though). My second partition is for C where i have windows and it's about 10gbs, but I install almost everything on my D drive. that's where I keep all my files, so that if i have to reinstall windows I dont have to worry about those files since they are in a separate partition.
ashok
You can resize partition with special apps, without any damage to installed software. Partition magic is the best one i know..
americangurl23
I find the best way to partition a hard drive is to give yourself one partition for the Operating System and the other partition (storage) for all of your programs, pictures, music etc. That way when you have to reformat because of a virus or whatever else then you won't have to worry about losing anything important. You also won't have to worry about backing up all of your music, pictures etc. because when you get a virus it will go to the partition that the operating system is on so you will only have to reformat that partition and keep everything else. That is just my opinion.
Tony The Tiger
chrissmith wrote:
You have to know how large each part of your hard drive will be before you install the programs. This is because you choes the size of each partion in the windows reformating phase.

So what do I look at to determine how large a partition I need?
tumpat
you shouldn't format and install all your program files first,if you do that,you will lose all of your datas...

you should partition first your hardisk so that you can backup your important datas when you format your hardisk...

one way you can partition your hardisk without formating your hardisk with use partition magic software...

so,after partitioning finish,you can backup your datas and format your hardisk and install all software that you need...

it more safe than format first...
Tony The Tiger
tumpat wrote:
you shouldn't format and install all your program files first,if you do that,you will lose all of your datas...

you should partition first your hardisk so that you can backup your important datas when you format your hardisk...

one way you can partition your hardisk without formating your hardisk with use partition magic software...

so,after partitioning finish,you can backup your datas and format your hardisk and install all software that you need...

it more safe than format first...

I have talked with Dell Tech support. They suggest that during the haard drive reformat I choose to create 2 partitions. One would be 15 GB for my operating system and program files. The remaining 22.2 GB would be for my documents. I will probably reformat my HD in the next 2 weeks following this advice.
ssthanapati
i wud suggest 2 make 2 partitions for use. if u install large amt of programs and games like me then make the partition in which u install program files large. make it around 10gb to 20 gb in size. use the rest of d space for the other partition. Making too many partitions dosent help much and it also wastes a lotta space especially if u r planing to store large files
internetjobs
you can use partition magic, you dont want to format your drive. you can resize your driver size without formatting your disk...use latest verion...it is also available with hiren's boot cd
[FuN]goku
yes i know a few people have already said this but im gonna say it agian... if you're not too experienced then you should get partition maigc... its pretty much fool-proof.... well maybe not but its good Very Happy i use it and it works fine for me!
blue77
I usualy partitioned my hard drive 75%-25%. Everyone chooses for him self. If you want more space partion to NTFS
Woutan
i heard that partition magic can demage your disk wit something.
like disk go crazy.

i seen it on my friends computer. we dont know why adn dont know how Smile
mony
may be this is be a good idea

first make ur harddisk one partion after that install windows and all ur programs u want .then use (partion magic )to resize the space u want in ur hard disk and u can do that on windows without formating
try after that to use (Norton ghost ) to backup ur harddisk drivers which can be (c: d: etc..) and that can be in cds or somthing like that So when u get tired from ur windows after long time in entering the internet or installing and removing programs which keep many unwanted files in ur hard disk restore ur backup back and start again u can edit new files in backup sourse so u can update ur backup file

i hope that help u
CyanEyed
i generally use acronis disk director suite to partition it. i keep one partition for the OS and system files, and fill that to 100%, so i dont edit that, and then whats left over is my space for files and software
bond4154
I think the most effective way to do partitions is when you reformat and/or reinstall Windows in MS-DOS mode. But with programs becoming as advanced as they are nowadays, I wouldn't be surprised if the new software can easily and effectively partition new drives. But you want to watch the content of your first drive first, or a lot of it will be washed away. That's obviously not good. =P
cvkien
well, for me, 10 gb is the smallest partition for windows. so if i only got 20bg of harddisk, i'll partition it into 10gb for c and another 8+GB for D. if you wanna partition after installation, sure you can by using partition magic, this software is very easy to use for everyone i guess. but i think you must know then basic concept of harddisk and partition. and for me, i think partition magic is a tool for those who don't know MS-DOS and also for those had a lot of files in the harddisk and all files are very important then they can't use MSDOS because MSDOS need to delete logical partition then only secondary partiton then only primary partition. so if you wanna change the size of the primary partition in MSDOS, then you need to delete everything inside your harddisk. unless you are using Partition Magic.
internetjobs
good suggestions...
shenyl
First you can check with Admin Tools -> Computer Management -> Disk Management.

This is within your Win XP/Win 2000/2003.

It shows the space used and free for each partition.

Note that Windows will not allow defragmentation if the disk space falls below 30%. Then you need other ways to defrag your partition.

A free and useful tool and much more stable than Partition Magic can be found in Hiren Boot CD - called Partition Commander, which runs under DOS. This ISO can be found on the net.

I find this more reliable, when Partition Magic 8 do sometime mess things up.

Suggestion - one partition for system (so you can make an image of the system partition without the data, for fast recovery from system failure)

Another partition for shared data, if you intent to multi-boot 2 or more OS.

Personally, for 40 GB you will not be able to load much software for testing, if you have lots of data to be kept online.

Consider offline storage - USB HDD.

How this is of some help.