FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Advanced DNS settings

Animal
Ok, firstly I'll apologise because this is a problem that will take a while to explain:

I have a domain I bought from 1&1 that I recently updated to use Frihost as the A-Record and Google Apps For Your Domain as the MX record for my email in DNS terms. This has worked really well and I'm happy with the whole mail service. However, by changing to the advanced DNS settings, I'm no-longer able to use subdomains on my account. This is because I'm using the 1&1 nameservers and they point the domain to my Frihost account, but I need different DNS records for each subdomain. Because I only use a 1&1 domain and not hosting package, they don't support adding subdomains.

So, what I want to do is use everyDNS to direct web traffic to my website. Herein lies the problem: I don't want to change my nameservers from 1&1 to everyDNS. This is because the email account is my primary account, and I therefore need full reliability. I'm not meaning any disrespect to everyDNS, but it's a free service and therefore may suffer reliability issues - if my email goes down, I'm in trouble.

So (finally) my question is: Can I set up an account with everyDNS and simply point the A-Record to it from my domain registrar? And if so, will this allow me to use subdomains?

Thanks for any advice
mathiaus
I don't think it's possible with easyDns. They require your domain to have everything point to them and no less.
I suggest transfering your domain to a different registrar such as heartinternet who do support full DNS management with subdomains (I use them). Smile