FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

blue screen of death 0x8E

loyal
peace be upon you all.

this problem with my computer has been happening for at least a year. I keep getting a blue screen of death. This happens randomly. Sometimes it's as soon as windows loads and i see the desktop, other times it's during webbrowing. it's random.

i don't think it's a virus.

the code error i get is:

0x0000008E (0xC0000005,...

the next parameter changes sometimes.

Often it is:
0x00000049 or 0x00000055

sometimes it's a random mix of numbers and letters.

All i could find on the internet was that this means that:
0x8E = KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
0xC0000005 = STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION: A memory access violation occurred.

Parameter 2 (the exception address) should pinpoint the driver or function that caused this problem.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/DevTest_g/hh/DevTest_g/t05_bugs_60_299217d6-98d1-4d1d-8068-883e89933845.xml.asp

-----------------------

However the latest one i got was this:

0x0000008E, (0xC0000005, 0xF9965BF2, some random parameter, some random parameter).

This time, to my surprise, i got extra information:

ntfs.sys address 0xF9965BF2, base at F99f5000, datestamp 41107eea

can anyone help me fix this blue screen error?

thanks in advance, may God bless you all.
silverandgreeneyes
well, if its a ntfs problem, my best advice is to run scandisk, run disk defragmenter, and most probably our best bet is to reformat your computer. Its good to do that every couple years with general use. All of the tools I mentioned can be found under system tools under accessories. If you need help reformatting, or don't know what that is, just ask.
loyal
reformatting my computer involves me deleting my partition on my computer and making a new partition and reinstalling windows?

may God bless you.
Prabhu Raj
with the error codes that you mentioned, there are 3 possible causes.

1. RAM failure.

2. OS failure.

3. Bios updation needed.

First try the last 2 before replacing the RAM
Ikthar
I'm almost sure that it's RAM failure, I had a same issue, and I noticed that it happened more often when I was using heavy programs like games. To fix it I replaced my old RAM, and it worked perfectly.
loyal
so, how much do new rams cost? which first: a new ram or update bios first?

may God bless you all.
Teddy1
Go for bios updation first, RAM costs can vary on size you get, 1gb RAM costs around 50, that's approx $85. But where you shop can get you bargains Wink.
loyal
how do i update bios?

i love your avatar teddy.

may God bless you all.
silverandgreeneyes
Lets see, to update your BIOS, it depends really on the brand, so see if you can find instructions on the manufacturers website. If you don't know who the manufacturer for your motherboard is check your manuals, look on your startup, and it might say somewhere on the motherboard if you pop open your computer. Anyone else remember other ways to find the manufacturer of motherboards if he doesn't know? It has been so very long...

Edit: Also I found this site which may be able to help you or at least lead you into the right direction http://www.quepublishing.com/articles/article.asp?p=27188&seqNum=12&rl=1
Teddy1
Thanks Loyal Smile. I make signature's and avatars for 10Frih$, I like your's too kittens are cute Very Happy. I hope i helped. Smile
andy26
i also have this problem you may need to go into safemode and go to my computer right click on it then go to properties and find device manager then go through all of you driver especially graphics drivers and click on roll back driver this may fix you problem as i get this alot but it goes once iv rolled back my drivers. also try replacing your ram as it can also be caused by a random access memory problem so it could be a dodgy ram
loyal
peace be upon you all.

well i found the problem. It turned out to be a blown capacitor (spelling?) on the motherboard. It took ages for the computer repair guys/girls to find the problem. Well thanks everyone for your help and i hope you don't ever get a blue screen of death.

may God bless you all.
xodia
loyal wrote:
peace be upon you all.

this problem with my computer has been happening for at least a year. I keep getting a blue screen of death. This happens randomly. Sometimes it's as soon as windows loads and i see the desktop, other times it's during webbrowing. it's random.

i don't think it's a virus.

the code error i get is:

0x0000008E (0xC0000005,...

the next parameter changes sometimes.

Often it is:
0x00000049 or 0x00000055

sometimes it's a random mix of numbers and letters.

All i could find on the internet was that this means that:
0x8E = KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
0xC0000005 = STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION: A memory access violation occurred.

Parameter 2 (the exception address) should pinpoint the driver or function that caused this problem.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/DevTest_g/hh/DevTest_g/t05_bugs_60_299217d6-98d1-4d1d-8068-883e89933845.xml.asp

-----------------------

However the latest one i got was this:

0x0000008E, (0xC0000005, 0xF9965BF2, some random parameter, some random parameter).

This time, to my surprise, i got extra information:

ntfs.sys address 0xF9965BF2, base at F99f5000, datestamp 41107eea

can anyone help me fix this blue screen error?

thanks in advance, may God bless you all.

i would say reformat your computer, but if you dont want to do that try reinstalling your drivers, all of them until it stops or find which program starts the blue screen and then stop using it... simple...
KoXaL
well, i am sorry about it RAM failure. You can chance the RAM slots or you can formay your current operation system. dont worry Smile
asciii
yeah..its a ram failure..i had the similar problem before..the ram had a bad sector and could not be read..lucky i still had warranty
remshad
man i had this problem due to infection of a virus in computer, once it damaged my OS
jdelfire
Highly possible that it's a Ram failure but we can't be to sure.
-- Things that you can try
-- 1. Boot in safemode and observed if the system will get a BSOD
-- 2. Removed your RAM and use an eraser to clean the contacts (sometimes i use some kind of chemical solutions to revive the RAM but i'm not sure what it is called in your country)
-- 3. Also check the event viewer to get a more detailed info
loyal
jdelfire wrote:

-- 2. Removed your RAM and use an eraser to clean the contacts (sometimes i use some kind of chemical solutions to revive the RAM but i'm not sure what it is called in your country)

Huh? I hope you're not speaking to me. Because this thread was posted in 2006. Obviously my computer is fixed/thrown away. If you were that worried lol, let your heart be put at ease with me quoting my last post in this thread:

loyal's last post in this thread wrote:

well i found the problem. It turned out to be a blown capacitor (spelling?) on the motherboard.

lol. Peace.
hunnyhiteshseth
loyal wrote:
jdelfire wrote:

Huh? I hope you're not speaking to me. Because this thread was posted in 2006. Obviously my computer is fixed/thrown away. If you were that worried lol, let your heart be put at ease with me quoting my last post in this thread:

loyal's last post in this thread wrote:

well i found the problem. It turned out to be a blown capacitor (spelling?) on the motherboard.

lol. Peace.

Funny thing... sometime backed i had faced exactly same problem on my computer and i had searched frihost for that... found your post and got my motherboard's capacitor replaced(they were blown too). lolz and now strangely this thread again picked up after 2 yrs! Laughing
jdelfire
lol did not notice the post date
Wakokok.... ^_^
loyal
jdelfire wrote:
lol did not notice the post date
Wakokok.... ^_^

Haha fine. Thanks for your very late help anyway lol.
nickfrost
Go with steps.It might help you for fix this problem..

1. Start Registry Editor (Regedt32.exe).
2. Locate the UpperFilters value under the following key in the registry:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
3. On the Edit menu, click Delete, and then click OK.
4. Locate the LowerFilters value under the same key in the registry:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
5. On the Edit menu, click Delete, and then click OK.
6. Quit Registry Editor.NOTE: After you remove the Upperfilters value and the Lowerfilters value, if you notice lost functionality in a particular program, such as CD recording software, you may need to reinstall that software. If the problem recurs, consult with the software vendor for assistance.

7. Restart your computer.

This fixed the problem and I was able to do this from the "safe" mode.
Ghost Rider103
This was solved years ago.

-close-