FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

My friend has put on so much weight

chasbeen
My girlfriend was very slender when I met her 2 years ago but she has changed so much since then that I can hardly believe it is the same person when I look at her photographs.
She keeps saying that she is much fitter than she was at school but she likes her food to much to cut down or go on a diet.
What could I do to get her thinner or at least slow down or even stop her over indulging? Crying or Very sad
LukeakaDanish
I'm definately not an expert on this kinda thing, but my suggestion would be to diet with her. - this kinda thing is definately easier if she doesnt have to do it on her own...

Also: Healthy food can taste nice - cook her some nice but healthy food!

And: Start takinga jog every day - then one day, ask her if she wants to join you...

:/
chasbeen
I don't need to diet as I am very athletic and persue a vigorous training schedule.

I have tried giving her advice on what to eat but when i'm round her place she's always eating the most fattening foods or has been out eating junk food.

I tried getting her to eat more yoghurts and vegetable foods but her favourite foods seem to be ice-cream and buiscuits instead.

As for taking her out jogging I don't think she could keep up with my walking pace despite being a great athlete in school that was 5 years ago. Now she gets out of breath if she uses the stairs at the Mall. Sad
ThornsOfSorrow
If you train hard, then you shouldn't have a problem with walking with her, even if you need to do so at a much slower pace than usual. Although I've never had to diet, I can imagine that it's a very tough experience, so as LukeakaDanish already stated, you should walk/run with her just so that she's not alone. That way she'll know that you support her, and it will feel more like an activity for the two of you to spend time together, rather than just her forcing herself to lose weight.

Also, I don't know if you meant "girlfriend" as in an actually girlfriend, or a girl who's a friend, but if she is your girlfriend, then you should be careful with how you try to help her. Don't do anything to make her think that you want her to slim down for you rather than herself. If I had a boyfriend who was always encouraging me to lose weight, then I would probably take it as him wanted a thinner girlfriend, and it would make me mad. Please don't take this as me accusing you of anything, since I'm sure you have good intentions; just be careful with how much you talk about this with her. This is another reason why it would be a good idea to ask, "Want to come jogging with me?" rather than say "You should go jogging".
benjmd
No matter how much exercise you get, you should still eat healthy foods. It will still improve your health. The best way to influence others is by example.

But I have a question: Is your girlfriend an unhealthy weight?

Use this chart to find out if she is in a healthy weight range for her height or at least close to a healthy weight range: A little more on subject, what have doctors and scientest found to be the cause of such mutations as those present in cancer?

If she is like 5'3" and was 110 lbs when you met her and is now 120-125 lbs, you would be being unfair to her to suggest that she needs to lose weight.

However, if she has gone into the overweight or obese categories, it is something to change for her health. Unfortunately, our weight tends to be pretty tied into our emotional health and you are important to that as her boyfriend.

The best thing you can do, if she is not dangerously overweight, is to try and share healthy foods with her and try to share activity with her to improve her lifestyle. You don't need to eat an all-vegetable diet to be healthy - you just need to chose a few less of the unhealthy foods.
chasbeen
I should not be saying this but I think she is between 230-250 lbs and she used to be 130-140 when I met her 2 years ago.

I think the main reason (for gaining weight) is that she finished college and all sporting activities at the same time. Then she started working with this company where she gets little exercise sitting at her office desk all day.

I notice also that her (female) working friends are also (mostly) overweight and these ladies are her main source of social activities, so she does not have any pier pressure from them to slim.

She also has no idea that i'm thinking this (that she should cut back on overeating) or she just does not care. Sad
benjmd
Oh, then she is at a weight that is unhealthy and dangerous to her. Well, she's gonna need lifestyle changes that aren't going to come easy. For some people it's just as hard as quitting smoking.

You should get a sense of where she is: Is she even concerned at all about her weight? Is she concerned but not ready to make changes? Is she considering changes but not sure how to start? Is she actively trying to change and needs support? You can't really jump people between these stages, but you can try to help them in whatever stage they are.

It sounds like she is somewhere not ready to make changes, but she might be. Direct confrontation will not work with her. However, making sure she gets her yearly check-up (where her doctor will likely mention weight loss to her) and offering her the opportunity to engage in healthy eating and exercise with you will be good tactics. It's also good to try and help her feel safe interacting with you on this matter. You can do that by not telling her what is wrong with her, but by letting her openly express her hopes and dreams to you.

Hopefully, by offering opportunity and generally encouraging a healthy lifestyle, she will start to pick up the same.
LukeakaDanish
chasbeen wrote:
I don't need to diet as I am very athletic and persue a vigorous training schedule.

I never said you did - but it probably wouldnt harm you to go on one with her - and if it helps her to become more healthy, I'm sure it's worth it!
masqued_dreams
i was in the same boat as your girlfriend but i got the weight off. All i did was run everyday and watched my calorie intake. I didn't necessarily diet, but i ate in moderation. I personally think serving sizes are the key to eating. Yes, you do need to eat lots of fruits and vegetables, but if she likes to indulge, small serving sizes. I personally went from 160 to 110 lbs by just doing mostly that and running daily.
rachelisntlost
Oh dear, this really is a touchy subject, I'd imagine, for your girlfriend.
When I first read your post, I thought she has just gained a little bit of weight... but when you said how much it was, that changed the story entirely.

First, I think what you should do is make sure you understand all the reasons for her weight gain. Ask her, subtly, and make sure she is not feeling mentally upset about anything, and that could be why she is not feeling like maintaining her weight.

Second, explain to her, really make her understand that it is a HUGE risk to her health if she continues on gaining weight, because that is what seems like will happen, with her diet you described. Heart problems, she will mentally feel down, depression could set it- she couldn't possibly be happy with the weight she is at.

Third, don't make her "DIET"... going on a diet is the worst option you could choose. When one is on a diet, they feel like they have to restrict themselves from eating the foods they like, and really, you can eat the foods you want, as long as they are in moderation! ^_^ If you can, sit down and create meal plans with your girlfriend, with the foods she likes, but make healthier choices, and smaller portions. Obviously, stay away from too many sweets and fattening foods, but really, you have a lot of options.

Fourth, create an exercise plan that will fit in with her schedule! But an at-home exercising system- I actually play the game, Dance Dance Revolution to keep myself in shape- it works wonders! Just an example. Walking around a lot will help as well.

Hope it all works out!

-Rachel
arkebuzer
chasbeen wrote:
My girlfriend was very slender when I met her 2 years ago but she has changed so much since then that I can hardly believe it is the same person when I look at her photographs.
She keeps saying that she is much fitter than she was at school but she likes her food to much to cut down or go on a diet.
What could I do to get her thinner or at least slow down or even stop her over indulging? Crying or Very sad

If she does not want to loose weight herself she probably wont be able to make it. After all it takes a lot of work, and if you are not willing to fight you will most likely fail :S