FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

DVD Writer

joholland84
Hey everyone

My dad has a Packard Bell PC running XP and it has 2 disc drives. One drive for reading disks, the other for writing. The disc drive that writes is supposed to also write DVDs but we have never been able to get this to work. It was out of its guarantee when we realised as we didn't need anything written to DVD for a while. We have tried all sorts of different - and + cd's in the writer but with no success. Any ideas? Perhaps is there something I can use to test it? The system control panel says it is working fine but I usually don't believe anything a computer says...

Jo
noliver
Its kind of difficult to make a "blind" diagnosis without knowing the make/model of the drive in question. I do know there are "writers" out there that will only read DVD's but not write to them. These are called combo drives and normally have something like 52x32x24 or something similar written on them.

Best is to get the make/model info and then we can take it from there.
Donutey
What software are you using, and does it also have this problem writing to CDs?
joholland84
Hey, how do I check the make of the drive? The drives came with the PC so they dont have anything written on them except dvd rom/r/rw which made me think it could write DVDs if it says rw on it. Also i'm sure the shop said we could write DVDs when we bought it. I looked in the system folder at device manager but under the dvd/cd rom section there are 5 listed when I only have 2 drives... Also I think they all just say provided by Microsoft. Is there a better way of finding out the make etc... Also, it seems to be listed as dvd- not + but thats listed for all 5 drives so I dont know which is which! This is a tad confusing!

Jo
bangala
joholland84 wrote:
Hey, how do I check the make of the drive? The drives came with the PC so they dont have anything written on them except dvd rom/r/rw which made me think it could write DVDs if it says rw on it. Also i'm sure the shop said we could write DVDs when we bought it. I looked in the system folder at device manager but under the dvd/cd rom section there are 5 listed when I only have 2 drives... Also I think they all just say provided by Microsoft. Is there a better way of finding out the make etc... Also, it seems to be listed as dvd- not + but thats listed for all 5 drives so I dont know which is which! This is a tad confusing!

Jo

There are softwares available, some are freeware, that can do this for you. I have used one great free software that gives a complete analysis of your computer components. I can dig the name for you later but you can google yourself about such sofwares.
arkebuzer
Iīm not an expert, and you did not give very much info...
But I had similar problems with my DVD writer, and the problem was the drivers for the motherboard.
I just changed to some older drivers and suddenly it worked.
With the newer drivers the computer detected the DVD as a RAID DVD writer... no idea why, and it wasnt possible to change it :S

I hope that helped you

good luck!

Regards