FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

useless posts

Devil
there are so many useless topics and posts , that i find it very hard to stay intrested in this forum ,

i mean there are so many topics , which ask questions ,

do u like this ? do u like that ? Evil or Very Mad cuz of this useles posts , i soemtimes loose trace of some good quality posts by the members ,

the forum will only improve ,if the content is good , like a tutorial is equal to 30 useles posts ,asking which os u use .

if these people want to spam in this way , then create a forum for debate , and let them ask questions how much they want ,

my suggestion is when u require 5 quality post for hosting , do not include the posts which ask silly questions , they should be disqualified ,

anyway thats the way i see it, Rolling Eyes
S3nd K3ys
I feel the same way; it's hard to weed thru the 75% of BS posts and get to the good stuf, but the mods are pretty good about what they will allow in the 5 posts. Still doesn't make it easier to read the forums.
Devil
I hope they make a new forum as trashcan , and put all the BS posts in there , so the forum will be more cleaner and easier to read , and will attract quality members Very Happy
Maka
Devil wrote:
I hope they make a new forum as trashcan , and put all the BS posts in there , so the forum will be more cleaner and easier to read , and will attract quality members Very Happy

We already have a spam can, but get over it seriously, this is posts for hosting it isnt perfect, not everyone posts good stuff, most will post anything to keep there hosting.
Devil
Maka wrote:
Devil wrote:

We already have a spam can, but get over it seriously, this is posts for hosting it isnt perfect, not everyone posts good stuff, most will post anything to keep there hosting.

but isnt that the reason we should encourage people to post good stuff ?

now look at the scripting section , it was a very good section with some people posting really good stuff , now over there too we have 2 useless polls,

and the topic how to spell frihost gets more replies then google pagerank topic , Confused

right now i am posting only in the support forum ,
Bondings
Devil, we certainly now there is too much spam. We try to do something against it, but it's very hard. The forum is growing daily and most of the time I don't even have time to look at most forums, not speaking of moderating them.
babumuchhala
Bonding i have been saying this for long, and am sayin it again GET THE REPORT BUTTON OUT.

If a member thinks the post is a spam it can be reported to the mods and the mods can take appropriate action.

This will help the mod in moderating the forum more efficiently and improve the quality of the forum

Bonding please get the report button (i will keep demanding this till i get the report buton)
Bondings
babumuchhala wrote:
Bonding please get the report button (i will keep demanding this till i get the report buton)

The forums need to be moderated much more and better. A "report" button will only help a bit, but not solve the problem. However, I will try to make (not in the soon future) a way to report a spamming user.
Nirotu
Personally, i also think a report button would come in handy for you guys. Also, from my point of view, it seems all moderators and admins are moderating all the forums. It would probably be much more efficient if you assign moderators to certain forums, and have them watch those forums. Also i don't know if you guys have this yet, cause im not a member yet, but maybe a members only forum. I know it would take a while to start it and assign ALL the current members to a group, but it would be well worth it, and keep your current members together for more productive conversations. Well thats my bundle of ideas. Smile
Bondings
Nirotu wrote:
Personally, i also think a report button would come in handy for you guys. Also, from my point of view, it seems all moderators and admins are moderating all the forums. It would probably be much more efficient if you assign moderators to certain forums, and have them watch those forums. Also i don't know if you guys have this yet, cause im not a member yet, but maybe a members only forum. I know it would take a while to start it and assign ALL the current members to a group, but it would be well worth it, and keep your current members together for more productive conversations. Well thats my bundle of ideas. Smile

All members are already in the same group. But I don't see the use in a "members only" forum.
Nirotu
Bondings wrote:
Nirotu wrote:

All members are already in the same group. But I don't see the use in a "members only" forum.

Well, for one thiing, i've seen a few posts where people admit to just posting to get a free account. With a member's forum, the members wont have to worry about stuff like that. But i can see where your coming from, because that does require a lot more moderating. Just an idea though. Smile
S3nd K3ys
Nirotu wrote:
... It would probably be much more efficient if you assign moderators to certain forums, and have them watch those forums. ...

It is more effecient that way, and easier on the mods as well. That's exactally how we do it at CNCzone.
mOrpheuS
Devil wrote:
but isnt that the reason we should encourage people to post good stuff ?

now look at the scripting section , it was a very good section with some people posting really good stuff , now over there too we have 2 useless polls,

and the topic how to spell frihost gets more replies then google pagerank topic , Confused

right now i am posting only in the support forum ,

good thoughts there.
we'd all certainly like a forum where everyone posts like this Razz
but that's practically impossible.

"what do you use/like/have/want/eat/dream" topics will crop up no matter what...unless ofcourse the mods start acting like school teachers and pour water over any attempt at this kind of posts (ie., play villain)

The action plan upto now is to allow only one topic like this and let everybody post there, and lock any duplicates threads that are created.
to prevent the sheer quantity of such topics from overshadowing any good discussions that might be going on.
how long do you reckon it will take for "are you male/female" to reappear if it is deleted ?

moderation is never really enough even if there's too much of it, and then it becomes annoying on its own.
we do try to omit posts like this when counting for the 5 good posts requirement, though.

a separate forum for these topics doesn't sound very nice to me. what will the "general" section be for then ?

p.s. - how does the report mod work ?
does the report go to a moderator only forum ?
or a PM sent to each moderator ?
S3nd K3ys
mOrpheuS wrote:

p.s. - how does the report mod work ?
does the report go to a moderator only forum ?
or a PM sent to each moderator ?

It sends a post to the mod forum, and emails the mods of the forum that the report was filed from.
MULITRI
I agree with Devil's point, like i had posted in another thread

http://www.frihost.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5226

and is quoted below:

MULITRI wrote:
but i have to agree with OnlyOneLife in the second point, too any useless posts like "best email" "best OS" "best CMS" "your prefered xxx" "your prefered yyy" etc etc, and i think that promote the spam for users can remain active easily in the forum to preserve their free hosting accounts.
I have to say i'm lost usualy through the forums between tons of posts like those.

i know i'm not a good poster or top poster, but if i have not anything interesting to say, i prefer not to post "i like this, i like that", i think with 1 good post i can tell all my preferences, tastes and hobbies to all members.

just my opinion, sorry.
Devil
i dont think the report button will help much ,

it will be a pain in the neck for the mods and admins , cuz everyone will report the post , i mean there will be 10 members reporting one post Shocked that will spam the inbox or email of the mods and admins ,

although i am in favour of a diff group , like say u made a group called advaced members , now u can assign a mod for that group , these groups wil have access to special forums and special features , so everyone else will want to be advanced member , this will encourage them to stop spamming ,

cuz the mod of the group will only accept members ,who have good quality posts ,

i also understand ,how hard the admins and mods have to work to keep the forum clean , but frihost is popular , so we get new people everytime , but when they see some forums locked out only for a advanced members , they would like to become one , so they will stop spamming Very Happy
babumuchhala
i agree with ricky (devil). an advanced member group will help the forum a lot.

Frihost growth has been unprecedented and its gonna bring in the bad appeles too and we need to do something abt it bfore the matter gets out of hand
Bondings
In fact, a lot of spammers got hosting too. It's sometimes hard to tell with only 5 posts if the user is spamming or not. I will most likely close the "funny pictures" forum because of this.
althalus
Bondings wrote:
In fact, a lot of spammers got hosting too. It's sometimes hard to tell with only 5 posts if the user is spamming or not. I will most likely close the "funny pictures" forum because of this.
Another forum I go to have the option to disable postcounting for sertain forums, such as the word games, where people would post lots of silly little things.

Now, they're using VBulletin, so I guess it's not the same, but maybe there's a mod for phpBB that would work in the same way?
Bondings
That's actually a better idea, disable the Points and Frih$ in the jokes and funny pictures forums. That will stop the spammers.
S3nd K3ys
Bondings wrote:
That's actually a better idea, disable the Points and Frih$ in the jokes and funny pictures forums. That will stop the spammers.

Good idea, but don't tell them you're doing it. See how many notice right away when the pc doesn't go up.

Laughing Laughing

:edit:

speaking of spammage, is there a way to track the maximum amount of points a user has on any given day? I see you've been a busy one today. (107ish..)
Nirotu
Bondings wrote:

*Signs Petition*

Also i was kind of thinking of another system instead of the 5 post one. How about your Post count to Points ratio should be like 2/3 before they can request hosting. That way people might post threads that are worth reading. Of course there's the downsides like threads with repeated letters or copied paragraphs or reviews. But it's just another idea. Smile
banana
I hope I'm not being impertinent, being a newbie and perhaps even the kind of poster you are complaining about, but what you seem to be reffering to as a valuable contribution to the forum, as I see it anyway, is content of a technical nature that I for one don't know enough about to comment on. Does this mean that my website doesn't deserve to be hosted?
Also, this may be a little off topic, but could someone explain how this system works? From what I've read it seems that the webspace is used as a lure to make people post on the forum.
mOrpheuS
banana wrote:
it seems that the webspace is used as a lure to make people post on the forum

*ummm*
we try to cover the costs by putting a few ads on the forum ? Rolling Eyes
...we are not evil...
Bondings
banana wrote:
I hope I'm not being impertinent, being a newbie and perhaps even the kind of poster you are complaining about, but what you seem to be reffering to as a valuable contribution to the forum, as I see it anyway, is content of a technical nature that I for one don't know enough about to comment on. Does this mean that my website doesn't deserve to be hosted?
Also, this may be a little off topic, but could someone explain how this system works? From what I've read it seems that the webspace is used as a lure to make people post on the forum.

A valuable contribution is a post like this one. It's an opinion and a question and is totally different with a post like "I agree", "lol, funny" or "frihost the best". I don't say that those posts are not allowed, but they have no real use, and if you only post this stuff, then it might be considered as spam.

This is maybe a webhosting forum, but the forum topics vary over a lot of topics. Your posts don't have to be technical. If you post your opinion about a book, movie or game, then that's also considered as a contribution to the discussion. Of course as long as you have something valuable to add instead of "great book", "I agree" or "lol".

And yes, we do use the hosting to make this community bigger and better. But I wouldn't like to see it as a "lure". Wink
littlegiant
I think if you get too regimental about the whole spam thing it could end up being counterproductive, i.e. some intelligent posters might get discouraged from posting at all. I've participated in a lot of forums (used to be a forum junky at one point) and every forum I've participated in has a certain degree of silliness. There's really no way around it. It might be better to show a little tolerance as Frihost goes through it's growing pains in order to encourage spontaneity.

Just my two cents (however bombastic)...
Bondings
littlegiant wrote:
I think if you get too regimental about the whole spam thing it could end up being counterproductive, i.e. some intelligent posters might get discouraged from posting at all. I've participated in a lot of forums (used to be a forum junky at one point) and every forum I've participated in has a certain degree of silliness. There's really no way around it. It might be better to show a little tolerance as Frihost goes through it's growing pains in order to encourage spontaneity.

Just look at this user's posts and tell me what you think: http://www.frihost.com/forums/search.php?search_author=wistom .
By the way, the most spammy-looking posts are already removed. Wink
mathiaus
A lot of half-liners around there! Rolling Eyes

I'm sure we can take a little 'silliness' but pure, blatant spam is just selfishness hurting FRIHost, the community and its members Crying or Very sad

half liners like the dudes above is pointless but partly due to the tiopic starters as well. Any topic asking what is your favourite whatever is inviting answers such as even one worders or even a sentace of 'my favourite browser is firefox' is still spam so they need more control

another one is codes. people copy and paste which is spam in itself but then people post 'thanks' or 'thats cool' Evil or Very Mad
littlegiant
Bondings wrote:
littlegiant wrote:

Just look at this user's posts and tell me what you think: http://www.frihost.com/forums/search.php?search_author=wistom .
By the way, the most spammy-looking posts are already removed. Wink

*chuckle* Okay, admittedly the level of committment there is non-existent. And it's pretty pathetic since it really only takes about one quality post per day to keep your hosting account alive. (Woops... am I spilling the beans here?) Anyway, I'm just saying that coming down hard on all spontaneous chit-chat could make for a very stilted atmosphere. If there's one thing I can't stand is an over-moderated forum.
S3nd K3ys
littlegiant wrote:
.... If there's one thing I can't stand is an over-moderated forum.

That and a forum full of useless posts. Rolling Eyes

Perhaps not allowing polls to be counted for points? Cool
littlegiant
I might also add that spam takes on a different definition on a post-for-hosting forum. What is defined as spam here would be welcomed on other forums as lively chit chat. When you add free posting into the mix there are some who are obviously going to try to exploit the system. Give them the boot and let the rest rap on.

Quote:
Perhaps not allowing polls to be counted for points?

ha ha.. is that a dig in my direction on account of a poll I recently started? Hey wouldn't bother me none if polls didn't count. Points are definitely not my priority when posting here. I'm usually maxed out anyway.

Wink
S3nd K3ys
littlegiant wrote:
I might also add that spam takes on a different definition on a post-for-hosting forum. What is defined as spam here would be welcomed on other forums as lively chit chat. When you add free posting into the mix there are some who are obviously going to try to take exploit the system. Give them the boot and let the rest rap on.

Quote:
Perhaps not allowing polls to be counted for points?

ha ha.. is that a dig in my direction on account of a poll I recently started? Hey wouldn't bother me none if polls didn't count. Points are definitely not my priority when posting here. I'm usually maxed out anyway.

Wink

No, that was a dig at EVERYONE that posts polls like "What's your favorite browser".
littlegiant
Ooops. Okay. My bad. Rolling Eyes
KungFuChris
From what I've seen, the number of points you gain from making a post depends, more or less, on how long you're post is.

Assuming that this is calculated on how many words/characters are made in the post, then perhaps a way of eliminating a large amount of un-needed spam would be to only start calculating points after a certain number of words/characters.

It might not wipe it out completely, but perhaps asking people to think of more than a single sentence to say before posting will jog them into posting something a little more.

It should be pretty obvious to spot and ban the major offenders on this system too, as they'd have to post large amounts of senseless characters to make it register.
Bondings
KungFuChris wrote:
Assuming that this is calculated on how many words/characters are made in the post, then perhaps a way of eliminating a large amount of un-needed spam would be to only start calculating points after a certain number of words/characters.

A very good idea, but quite hard to code. I'll try to do it, but it won't be done soon. Wink
KungFuChris
If it's already character counting to produce the result, then all you should need to do is reduce the total amount (before calculating points) by the intended minimum limit, not forgetting to introduce a check to adjust any negative figures to 0. The rest should sort itself out.

Of course, I don't know what method is being used to produce the points at the moment, so the above may be of absolutely no use at all. Wink Very Happy