FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Getting started

genchan
I just got my Frihost web hosting account. Many thanks for approving my request.

Now comes the part to get started. I have a few questions.

1. I got a message in my email and it says I won't be able to access my http://www.yourdomain.com:2222 until the domain resolves. So to 'resolve' (I am not sure what this mean) the domain, is there anything that I must do?.. or just wait?

2. To get started, can I jump straight to the index.html file found in public_html directory and work on the codes? Or is there something else that I must do first?

3. To make another html page, must I make it within the public_html directory only?

4. Is it okay if I rename "public_html" directory? Or should I leave it untouch?

5. Is there an online site builder/html generator in Frihost that I can use to get started?

Thank you.
mOrpheuS
genchan wrote:
1. I got a message in my email and it says I won't be able to access my http://www.yourdomain.com:2222 until the domain resolves. So to 'resolve' (I am not sure what this mean) the domain, is there anything that I must do?.. or just wait?

Your site is working fine.
Newly added domains may take a few hours before they start working.

genchan wrote:
2. To get started, can I jump straight to the index.html file found in public_html directory and work on the codes? Or is there something else that I must do first?

You don't need to do anything else, you can start by modifying the existing index.html right away.

genchan wrote:
3. To make another html page, must I make it within the public_html directory only?

Yes, indeed ... inside public_html or in a subdirectory within it.

genchan wrote:
4. Is it okay if I rename "public_html" directory? Or should I leave it untouch?

You should not rename it unless you want your site to stop working.

genchan wrote:
5. Is there an online site builder/html generator in Frihost that I can use to get started?

There is no such thing available.
However, there are many other places that specialize in free web designs/templates.
genchan
Thank you.

I have some additional questions.

1. By typing [domain name.frih.net] will open the index.html page. But how do you go directly to view other files in the public_html directory? I don't mean through the file manager but to view the files directly on the internet. I tried typing [domain.frih.net/public_html/file name.html] directly into the browser but got error.

2. There is an email account in the Direct Admin page. When I click on it, it only shows my email address for Frihost. Is there a web-based email account somewhere that I can access to check my emails? Can't seem to find it.
Kelvin
If your files are already stored in the Public_html, it should be accessible through: http://www.yourdomain.frih.net/your file.html

As for the email, it is running as a POP3 server. So you could just setup your mail account in your email software. If you want to login via webmail just read the help here: http://www.site-helper.com/email.html (under webmail)

Hope that's what you are looking for. Cheers Smile
genchan
I got the files to work. Many thanks.

About email, I don't know what to do. In my DirectAdmin page, I clicked Email Accounts and it shows one permanent email address. So want to use this address and not to create another one.

In the DirectAdmin page, there are two Webmail - Squirrelmail and UebiMiau. I tried to click on both but error page. What should I do?

Another question: Is there an in-build Message Board or a small forum that I can incorporate into my website?
Kelvin
The 2 webmails could have been down at that time. I just tried it and i can login with no problem. You will be taken to a login page where u enter your username and the default/changed password given to log into your DirectAdmin page.

If you are still unable to use the webmail, then perhaps you just have to use Outlook or something to get the mails. Just setup your POP3 mail accordingly.

As for the forums, i can't help you on that cause I have yet to experiment with it. You could however create a shoutbox or something similar for interactive purposes at your website. Just run a search for 'shoutbox'. Register and paste the code to your webpage.
kirii
Sorry,I have 1 question also...
Yesterday a moderator just accept my request for webhosting.
He provides id and pass for me too..
But why until now i still can't sign in?
Kelvin
Sign into DirectAdmin or the FTP server? If you are talking about FTP server, you will need to create an FTP account in DirectAdmin before you are able to upload anything.
kirii
Kelvin wrote:
Sign into DirectAdmin or the FTP server? If you are talking about FTP server, you will need to create an FTP account in DirectAdmin before you are able to upload anything.

My prrblem is in DirectAdmin
genchan
Kelvin,
I tried again to access the Webmail (both Squirrelmail and UebiMiau) but still get error page. The URL is localhost/webmail, this is correct I pressume but got error.

The Spamassassin is disabled right now. Do you think its a good idea to enable it, coz I read that sometimes real emails get spammed too.

Kirii, go to http://cp.frih.net and sign in with your id and pass. You should be able to login.
Kelvin
The URL for squirrel is as follows:

http://www.yourdomain.frih.net/squirrelmail

which in your case would be:

http://www.cp.frih.net/squirrelmail

This will take you to the login screen. I don't think you have to worry much about spam for the moment cause it takes quite some time to be 'spotted' by spammers. They usually go for high profile spam-possible sites like hotmail etc.

kirii:
===
Did you connect with your forum password or the password given for DirectAdmin? You need the DirectAdmin password which is different from you forum login password. If you still can't get in, maybe you should send a PM to the person who sent you the approval. Good luck.
Daniel15
Quote:
Another question: Is there an in-build Message Board or a small forum that I can incorporate into my website?

I'd suggest to install SMF - It's available for download at http://www.simplemachines.org/. It's quite a nice forum system, and it's what I use on my sites Smile

Quote:

If you want to get started quickly, I'd suggest a CMS (Content Management System). Something like Joomla (www.joomla.org) is quite useful if you don't know much HTML.
genchan
I just took a look at SMF. A little bit complicated and lots of files to upload. If it works on Frihost, might give it a try.

Got two questions:

1. Does Frihost allow sending emails from php script via contact form?

2. If yes, I am thinking of putting a contact form on my website. I am thinking of using AdesFormMail 2.2 free download. Has anybody used this? If there is a better one, please do let me know.
dac_nip
dude, try to use linux, build your own server but don't make it online. work first in your own PC. or better yet, use your Lan and try to get things around. install apache web server and crack things. i've learned things that way so that when your actually hosting online, it wont be a problem Very Happy
Daniel15
Quote:
I just took a look at SMF. A little bit complicated and lots of files to upload. If it works on Frihost, might give it a try.

Well, if you download the .tar.gz file, it's a lot easier: Upload the actual tar.gz to your web space, and then go to the DirectAdmin File Manager. You'll see a 'Decompress' link. Click it, and the file will be uncompressed on the server side. This is a lot quicker, as you only need to upload 1 file Smile

Quote:
1. Does Frihost allow sending emails from php script via contact form?

Yes, we allow you to do this.

Quote:
2. If yes, I am thinking of putting a contact form on my website. I am thinking of using AdesFormMail 2.2 free download. Has anybody used this? If there is a better one, please do let me know.

I personally write the script myself, as I don't find it too hard Smile. Because of this, I'm not sure about any good premade scripts Razz
genchan
Great tips Daniel15. I will download the .tar.gz file then.

I tried AdesFormMail and also Formmail by Tectite. I couldn't get any emails from Ades while I got emails with error for Tectite. Here is the error message:

The following error occurred in FormMail :
Unable to create check file "/fm9d0ea7.txt": failed to open stream: Operation not permitted

Could there be a possible problem with the Php on the server side?

I ask this because I have another problem and that is I cannot login to phpMyAdmin. I tried clicking the phpMyAdmin link in DirectAdmin but the url was "localhost/phpMyAdmin" which lead to error page. Then I tried with domain.frih.net/phpMyAdmin and a pop-up window appears asking me to login. I tried but failed. I wonder why.

On a different note, why is there two webmails - Squirrelmail and UebiMiau? Since I have only one permanent email address (id@domain.frih.net), what happens if someone sends an email to this address? Will it go to both squirrelmail and uebimiau webmail?
mathiaus
Did you try the following suggestion in it's readme file?
Quote:
Use form2.php if you are having error with form.php, sometimes you will not recieve emails, or you will recieve empty parameters. That is because of your server configuration. Rename form2.php to form.php and it should be fine.

Use AdesFormMail.php if you are not getting emails with AdesFormMail.html.

The best link to be using for DA is http://frih.net:2222/ . the others mess up a little with links to other places such as phpMyAdmin whose link is http://frih.net/phpMyAdmin/ . To login, you must first create a database in DirectAdmin under 'mySQL management' and login to phpmyadmin with the details you entered to create the database.

Yes I believe both webmail clients will read the same data. When you recieve a amail it is placed in a mail folder and those 2 clients read from there.
genchan
Can't open http://frih.net:2222/. Keep getting error page. The only one that works for me is cp.frih.net. I don't know why.

Which leads me to a question. I have been having a hard time login in and accessing my files in DA. One minute it works, another minute it doesn't, like I get an error page. When I click refresh, sometimes it comes back, sometimes it doesn't. I am on server 2. Could there be some problems with the server?

I have also been trying to extract a .tar.gz file in my DA file manager. All I get is a blank page...