FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Recovering currupt .doc files..

goblinish
Does anyone know of a program, preferbly freeware which can recover (or at least restore part of) corrupt microsoft word files? I recently had to recover work from a formatted hard drive and unfortuntly some of the documents are corrupt. Id be open to shareware suggestions if they are programs that people have already tried and had (or heard of) success with them.
ocalhoun
Are you reading them with the same or later version of word? If not, there's you're problem.
Otherwise, there is probably no software for such things, unless they are for files in general. Corrupted word files are a rare occurance. If the text was very important, you may be able to open it with a different word processor and pick out the text, but then again, perhaps you can't. I don't know how much word changes the text of a document to include formatting. (A lot)

If you get an error message when opening it that says it is not the right kind of document, use wordpad or an open-source text editor to open it anyway and try to salvage your file manualy.

Also, remember: this could have been avoided had you followed the first rule of computing: Back up your data.
This is a very important rule, and I have no pity on those who loose data because they do not follow it.
goblinish
Yeah backing up is good hehe!. This is a friends computer and he asked me to wipe his drive and reinstall windows for him, then afterwards he was like `oh no wheres my documents gone, I had 3 years worth of accounts on there`... (even tho id told him he would loose everything and needs to tell me to save anything for him).

Ive tried the documents in the same and different versions of word and tho some work, most open as a complete mess of letters/numbers/symbols etc.. Also opening them in notepad etc results in a similar thing with no recognisible text.
johanfh
I used Word 97 and had a similar problem. Word stores it's files as some sort of memory dump. I simply opened the files in Notepad, copy-pasted the mess into a new Word file and Word did convert a lot of the mess into readable text (but the layout was mostly gone)

I hope this helps

JohanFH
goblinish
johanfh wrote:
I used Word 97 and had a similar problem. Word stores it's files as some sort of memory dump. I simply opened the files in Notepad, copy-pasted the mess into a new Word file and Word did convert a lot of the mess into readable text (but the layout was mostly gone)

I hope this helps

JohanFH

Intreguing! Thanks, i will give that a shot as soon as possible!
Prabhu Raj
Try purchasing the recovery software called Recover My Files.

This is the best out there.

Optional. You can also download full version from some crack sites.
Prabhu Raj
Try purchasing the recovery software called Recover My Files.

This is the best out there.

Optional. You can also download full version from some warez sites.
goblinish
Thanks for the suggestion Prabhu Raj, I have downloaded it and will try it nex time im on his computer.