FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Where is the Folder option?

SmartIcon
Hello friends,
I see a serious problem in some of my friends' system. They all are using windows xp with service pack 2. They are not getting the folder option icon in control pannel. When try to click on tools in the my computer menu, there is not also the folder option. Why this problem persists an how to recover that.
I am waition for your answers and suggestions. Thank you.
ocalhoun
Is the user in this case not an administrator? This could perhaps be caused by limited privilages. Log in with an account you're sure has administrator privilages and try it again. If it works then, then change the account you use to an administrator account.
RiCtee
Wouldn't it be the same if you go to My Computer (or any explorer.exe) > Tools > Folder Options ??
Kelvin
problem is the folder options are not longer available however way you choose to open the folder be it 'My computer' "C drive" etc. I've been through this one before but unfortunately forgot the procedure to restore the 'folder options'.
Kelvin
ok, found the solution:

1. Copy text below into a text file and save as .reg file eg. ShowFolder.reg

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]
“NoFolderOptions”=dword:00000000

2. Merge the following to the registry

3. Restart(or logoff-logon)
SmartIcon
ocalhoun wrote:
Is the user in this case not an administrator? This could perhaps be caused by limited privilages. Log in with an account you're sure has administrator privilages and try it again. If it works then, then change the account you use to an administrator account.

All the users here are administrators.
Kelvin
Smarticon, did you manage to bring back the Folder Options with the registry? Basically the dword value symbolises the on/off function where 0=off and 1=on

So if you do not want the options available, just change '00000000' to '00000001'.
internetjobs
it is really useful for me..
tumpat
i think it caused by a virus called brontok...

i ever have same problem with you SmartIcon about 2 weeks ago...

i used bitdenfender antivirus 9 and it found brontok named brontok...
then,i used brontok remover free edition...

after i scan that virus,my folder option appear...
that virus change our registry,that why your folder option not appear in tool or in control panel....