FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

New version of Firefox available for download

ashok
The latest release candidate for the Firefox Web browser is posted for free download.

Code:
http://www.mozilla.org/projects/bonecho/all-rc.html

I think this is a big deal for the Mozilla Foundation and the Firefox community. the posting of Release Candidate 3 (RC3) is a huge milestone because i feel it represents the final code for the long-awaited Firefox 2.0 browser.
ocalhoun
Just as a tip, instead of using 'code' bbcode for a link, use 'url'.
I've already downloaded this new version (via firefox update), but I don't notice any major differences; perhaps you could point something out to me?
orcaz
ocalhoun wrote:
Just as a tip, instead of using 'code' bbcode for a link, use 'url'.
I've already downloaded this new version (via firefox update), but I don't notice any major differences; perhaps you could point something out to me?

there are lots of changes. Or mebbe u dint get FF 2, prolly got the current stable version which is 1.5.0.7. FF 2 is still in RC stage. You can go to mozilla.org, and you will see a link about Mozilla Firefox 2.0 RC 3. Go dld it. Firstly, there is an interface refresh. secondly, there is new anti phishing. thirdly, there is a built in spell check. lots of other new things. you can find all the changelog at the firefox rc page, the release notes.
cheeta
with my browser I dont want to go beta or RC... as too many financial information i send useing this FF... and i want to stick with FF 1.5.0.x whats the latest on FF... dont want to go Beta !!
umeshtangnu
thanks for the info, just downloaded the installer .the inferface seems different but still its beta so cant use it on work
Shake
I haven't tried it, and it doesn't sound like their changing that much, so it can't be bad. Anyway, I'm not going to download it until I know it has been thoroughly tested. In my previous experience I have had to reinstall firefox many times when trying out betas. I don't want to do that again right now.
D.Nikolov
I have to admit - the RC3 version of Mozilla Firefox behaves quite like a final version Smile

In fact I'm using the Firefox RC3 wright now and I haven't had a crash since I installed it. Hope the final version will be just as stable Laughing
myworld
I think I will hang on as from what I understand the stable realease of firefox 2.0 is due in the next couple of weeks.
orcaz
myworld wrote:
I think I will hang on as from what I understand the stable realease of firefox 2.0 is due in the next couple of weeks.

unless they are planning to release RC 4, I believe the final stable version of FF 2 is coming out pretty soon.
photon
the rc3 is doing pretty good... not many bugs around. so like others have pointed out, the final ver should be out pretty soon. im waiting for it Smile
budazz
I have to try this one out... seems very promising is this in beta?...
orcaz
budazz wrote:
I have to try this one out... seems very promising is this in beta?...

It is in Release Candidate Stage, which means the pre-release stage, when all the new features have already stabilised and majority of the bugs are fixed, as compared to alpha and beta versions.
cmjphp
Im also using Firefox 2.0 RC3.
The new interface is cool. The only thing is extensions, when I first installed RC3 only 1 extension worked but now, all but two of my extensions work. The two that havent been updated are both quite old now anyway and there are other options out there.
I like a few other people havent experienced one crash yet Very Happy
Although Firefox has only crashed 4 times in about 3 years of use. IE6??? Ive lost count of the number of crashes.
For anyone who doesnt have Firefox get it
http://www.spreadfirefox.com/

EDIT BY ANIMAL: Affiliate link removed. Sorry, but referral links aren't allowed on Frihost - this includes non-financial ones, I'm afraid.
cheeta
Quote:
Although Firefox has only crashed 4 times in about 3 years of use.

wow... u remember that tooo ??? hahaha...

anyway yes the point is FF crashes r close to None when compair with IE.. but with the Ie 7 i counted 0 crash in past 5 month ... Razz
Srs2388
I really like the spell checking that is built in... it's awesome
TheCyrus
Yeah, RC3 is really great. I'm very pleased with it.
gh0stface
Just an update, FireFox 2 is now out. You can get it at www.getfirefox.com
NemoySpruce
If your running Firefox 2, go look at the credits and you'll see Stephen Colbert's name.
ocalhoun
I just downloaded the new version, and I'm very impressed.
The reason my Firefox extensions don't work with it is because they are included! The new Firefox does everything they did right out of the box.
(Fasterfox, improved tabs, mouse gestures) The only one that wasn't included that I use is fireFTP, which works with FF2.

Also, the spell checker is extremely cool. Everyone on frihost should be required to use it; it would mean a lot less spelling mistakes on the forum.
Animal
ocalhoun wrote:
Also, the spell checker is extremely cool. Everyone on frihost should be required to use it; it would mean a lot less spelling mistakes on the forum.

Seconded! But seriously, I've found the spell checker to be a bit buggy. If you right-click and change a mis-spelled word, the spelling suggestion seems to remain in the right-click context menu no matter where you click. It goes away after I restart Firefox though. It's not a major complaint, but I've been pretty impressed with it so far too.
ocalhoun
^They'll probably fix that in the next version, I suppose.

Also, I need to refine my earlier statement: Most of the extensions I had before are included, but in a limited fashion. I'm missing some of my advanced tabs featu and eagerly awaiting the time when I'll be able to use them with FF2.
orcaz
this new version of firefox totally rox... it now seems that the difference between IE and Firefox has somewhat narrowed, after Microsoft upgraded to IE 7.
saurabh.sauron
wel lit's way too gud. the new interface rox. it's too glossy and is not at all hard on the cpu. it supports more extensions now. but the supported ones can increase. also, the integration of the theme and extension manager is gud. the feed reader has become excellent now.overall, it is much better to use 2 than 1.5
ocalhoun
Yep, just when IE thought they had caught up with FF, we get FF2 and IE is behind the times again.

The sad thing is, that even though they have a huge budget and lots of programmers and access to FF's source code, they still can't make a better browser.
shoes22
Firefox 2 makes me want to never use IE7 again...and this is only after a few weeks of using it.
HoboPelican
saurabh.sauron wrote:
wel lit's way too gud. the new interface rox. it's too glossy and is not at all hard on the cpu. it supports more extensions now. but the supported ones can increase. also, the integration of the theme and extension manager is gud. the feed reader has become excellent now.overall, it is much better to use 2 than 1.5

Apparently the spellchecker is worthless!
Laughing
guissmo
Now, do you recommend me on downloading that new version, or stick to the one I have now (the latest version before today's latest version)?
orcaz
guissmo wrote:
Now, do you recommend me on downloading that new version, or stick to the one I have now (the latest version before today's latest version)?

i recommend this version 2.0, because it has many good features like anti-phishing, the feature which i liked most of this version. ultimately, u would nid to upgrade to the latest version sooner or later, coz according to the roadmap, gecko 1.8 (Firefox 1.5) "end of life" is at 1st quarter of 2007.
cheeta
I just download and installed the firefor 2.0 ... the inbuilt spell check is supper !!

i am loving it Razz
{name here}
Why is the only theme I like for firefox replaced with this new junk with the ugly tabs?
dz9c
HoboPelican wrote:
saurabh.sauron wrote:

Laughing

lol yea no that person was just lazy. all the spell checker really does is underline a word that looks like its misspelled. you right click it and it gives you suggestions just like in Microsoft word. pretty neat if you ask me.
Traveller
HoboPelican wrote:
Laughing

Works fine for me, so far. The one thing I wish it (and other spellcheckers) could do is to combine (by user option settings) dictionaries. For example, some of the things that ARE used in Latin-American Spanish, but are NOT specific to it, are not in the Spain-Spanish dictionary. Thus, it would be good to have BOTH dictionaries active at the same time. Similarly, if one needs to write a single entry/document in multiple languages (e.g. English and Spanish), it would be nice to have THAT combination of dictionaries active at the same time. Sure, it would allow for some mistakes to be missed, but it would often be better than switching dictionaries in mid-document and having entire sections of the document marked as incorrect just because they're from the unselected language.
Daniel15
Pffft... Firefox 2.0... I still love Opera Very Happy
Spell checking? Opera has had spell checking (via aspell) for ages! Opera also has heaps of features that Firefox doesn't have (email reader, IRC client, BitTorrent client, RSS feed reader, better tab handling... The list goes on Smile
JamesBond
yes, the spell checker needs some changes. it shows even common internet words as www, typos etc.

on the whole, i just love this browser. its default theme is much better than its previous version.
bulek
I like new version of Firefox 2.0, it really rules!
dickyzin
The automatic spell checking is awesome. Is there a way to set different English spellings? I'd like to use English (Australia).
ocalhoun
HoboPelican wrote:
saurabh.sauron wrote:

Laughing

I've never had any problems with it, and I use it a great deal.

Daniel15 wrote:
features that Firefox doesn't have (email reader, IRC client, BitTorrent client, RSS feed reader, better tab handling... The list goes on Smile

That's why theres extensions: I have all those things via various add-ons.
blueray
hi, I know that ff 2.0 is released. It seems be same as rc1. But I do not installed yet. I'am checking whether it is stable or not. currently I using ff 1.5.0.7. Also, if install it to my computer, will this be co-exist with my older version?

Thank you

Eric,