FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Fedora - Problem with sound and internet

carlospro7
I have just installed Fedora Core 5 in my laptop (Compaq Presario V3030US)
and I everything installed just fine, but when I ran fedora I noticed the sound and the internet were not working. I'm new to linux, and fedora is my first actual experience with linux. Any help would be greatly appreciated, but since I'm new I ask that you explain anything in a way that's possible to understand..
{name here}
carlospro7 wrote:
and I everything installed just fine, but when I ran fedora I noticed the sound and the internet were not working. I'm new to linux, and fedora is my first actual experience with linux. Any help would be greatly appreciated, but since I'm new I ask that you explain anything in a way that's possible to understand..

Fedora has often been noted to be crap. You might want to try something like Ubuntu, Slackware, Debian, or FreeBSD to try and get it working from there. If your laptop is old it may be because they phased out the drivers or you have some hardware without drivers built for them.
carlospro7
{name here} wrote:

If your laptop is old it may be because they phased out the drivers or you have some hardware without drivers built for them.

It's actually pretty new. 64bit
{name here}
carlospro7 wrote:
{name here} wrote:

If your laptop is old it may be because they phased out the drivers or you have some hardware without drivers built for them.

What build did you take? IA-64, or AMD64 are the only builds you'd want to take because the other builds are not meant for 32-bit computers(unless you're talking about SPARC64, but you don't have a computer manufactured by Sun). It might be understandable though, as sometimes people report problems with 64-bit computers communicating with 32-bit devices. It might be wise to try a different distrobution that isn't the testbed for another OS like Fedora is.
carlospro7
It's AMD Turion X2 64
ezekiel_rage
{name here} wrote:
carlospro7 wrote:
{name here} wrote:

What build did you take? IA-64, or AMD64 are the only builds you'd want to take because the other builds are not meant for 32-bit computers(unless you're talking about SPARC64, but you don't have a computer manufactured by Sun). It might be understandable though, as sometimes people report problems with 64-bit computers communicating with 32-bit devices. It might be wise to try a different distrobution that isn't the testbed for another OS like Fedora is.

The only difference between a x86 build and IA64 build is that the IA64 will use the 64-bit instruction set. Sometimes using a x86 build on a 64-bit CPU will be better, but then your milage may vary.

To get back to the original problem.

What specific problems with sounds and the internet are you having?

Is the sound card not detected and installed?

Or the sound card is working but you cant play MP3s and other media that uses win32 codecs (MPEG, WMV, etc).

If that is the case then your install is not broken. RedHat explicitly states that they will not package those codecs with Fedora since those codecs are non-free and lisence-encumbered.

There is a work-around to this. You just have to install those codecs manually.

A for the internet, you said that you are running Linux on a laptop.

Are you using dial-up?

If you are.

I am almost 100% sure that your problem is not because of a broken Linux install.

Your problem lies with the modem. Your laptop's modem is surely a WinModem. WinModems are not really a dumbed version of a true modem. Since WinModems totally rely on the OS to do the signal processing. And as the name suggest they are built specifically for Windows.

Again there is a workaround, you have to install the drivers manually.

Please give some more information about your problem, your hardware specs so that we can pinpoint the problem.

Hope this helps
ezekiel_rage
{name here} wrote:
carlospro7 wrote:

Fedora has often been noted to be crap. You might want to try something like Ubuntu, Slackware, Debian, or FreeBSD to try and get it working from there. If your laptop is old it may be because they phased out the drivers or you have some hardware without drivers built for them.

I agree, you should try other linux distros that are newbie friendly.

May I suggest Mandriva.

It is very newbie friendly. It also have the missing win32 codecs pre-packaged wit it so you can play mp3s and other media formats out of the box.

except for the modem. Winmodems are a problem for any linux distro.
carlospro7
ezekiel_rage wrote:

Is the sound card not detected and installed?

I think that may be the case. No sound will come out even when I boot up (i dont know if thats supposed to happen). I don't get any error messages or anything like that though

ezekiel_rage wrote:

Or the sound card is working but you cant play MP3s and other media that uses win32 codecs (MPEG, WMV, etc).
If this is the case I don't know how to tell.

ezekiel_rage wrote:

Are you using dial-up?

nope. I use broadband.

ezekiel_rage wrote:

Please give some more information about your problem, your hardware specs so that we can pinpoint the problem.

It's AMD turion x2 64. About the hardware in this computer I know that it has a nVidia nForce chipset.
Internet - NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller
Sound - Conexant High Definition Audio.

Pretty much I the motherboard is NVIDIA nForce (except for the sound I guess). So When I turn it on i dont know if it's supposed to do that welcome sound like windows, but I dont get any of that. Um, internet. It just doesn't find a connection. When I start (you know that text screen that tells you whats loading and if it went OK or FAILED) Fedora it spends about a minute trying to find an IP address, and in cap and bold letters it says it failed, but that is the only thing that fails when it starts. Anyway, i think that is all i can say about, if there are any questions, please feel free to address them. Thank you for taking the time to understand my problem.
carlospro7
out of nowhere the sound and the internet now both work. I don't know what it could have been. THe internet works, but wired. The wireless internet isn't working now, but maybe i have to restart it for that. Anyway thank you for all
funboy
i also had this problem...
but i resolved it by using
OSS instead of alsa sound system