FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Free .RAR unpacker ?

jwellsy
What is a good free program that will unpack a .rar file?
winrar has a trial d/l but it's not free.

Thanks
Jeff
Kelvin
You can try any of this links:

ULTIMATEZIP
http://www.ultimatezip.com/index.htm (The FAQ says it's free for private use)

NEWZTOOLZ
http://www.techsono.com/weapons/rardecoder.html (Not sure if this works. Give it a try)
gh0stface
Your best bet is probably 7zip. It's a free and powerful compression/decompression program.

According to there website, they support the following unpacking format:
Quote:
Unpacking only: RAR, CAB, ISO, ARJ, LZH, CHM, Z, CPIO, RPM, DEB and NSIS

You can download it from here
carlospro7
yup 7-zip. It's very good and light weight, and it's for free!
jayzee
well if im not wrong

Free zip utility for Windows -
www.zipgenius.it/
can do it too
exarkun
WinRar may be a trial version only, but I believed that you can continue using it even without paying. I have tried winAce before. And even without the serial, I can continue the trial version perfectly fine. Only a pop-up to remind me to register though.
Kelvin
yes it is still possible to use them even without registering. But it is not legally right since it is shareware and not freeware. Probably he's trying to get a free version for legal purposes.
jwellsy
Yeah, the deal is that a buddy of mine has produced a few how-to videos and bundled them together with a software program and used the rar format to have them all as a single download. He has been telling people to get winrar to open the file. He is selling this package to make money. I wanted to suggest to him that to reduce his liability exposure he should reccomend a rar freeware program. There are all kinds of stupid law suits out there.

Thanks for the input guys.
I knew that I had seen a recent post about .rar freeware somewhere here on this board, but I couldn't find it. So I asked.

Jeff
ftasyo
jwellsy wrote:

Thanks
Jeff

Just a curiosity. What is the difference between a *.rar, *.tar and *.zip? All I use is AlZip from AlTools.Net and it opens them all with no problems!
ftasyo
jayzee wrote:
well if im not wrong

www.zipgenius.it/
can do it too

ZipGenius was a great tool when I was still working with a Win98 machine. But now, it doesn't seem to work under WinXP. It would have been my first choice for a zipping utility. Alas, development seemed to have stopped.
{name here}
ftasyo wrote:
jwellsy wrote:

Thanks
Jeff

Just a curiosity. What is the difference between a *.rar, *.tar and *.zip? All I use is AlZip from AlTools.Net and it opens them all with no problems!

RAR is a powerful compression format, though it is slightly less powerful than 7zip in making files smaller. It's a great format, but it is proprietary with the only compressor made by RAR labs. It is also quite slow and not everyone wants to download software to unpack them.

Tar is an old format created in the heydey of Bell Unix. It does not compress. It is only meant to bundle up files for storage on tapes, the dominant storage system of the day. A tar is usually compress with gzip or the more powerful bzip2. Neither bzip nor gzip are as powerful as RAR or 7zip(but they are pretty dang close), but they shipped standard on all unix systems, making them veristile.

Zip is basically almost the de facto standard in compression - you are almost guarunteed to find a system that will decompress Zips. The problem with a zip is its compression is not as good as the others by a longshot at times. However, it pretty much is the fastest when decompressed and compressed.
kiranaghor
http://rarexpander.sourceforge.net/

RARExpander is the way to go if u are on Mac os X. Before that I tried using rarosx but it did not do well with splip rar archives.
exarkun
{name here} wrote:
ftasyo wrote:
jwellsy wrote:

Thanks
Jeff

RAR is a powerful compression format, though it is slightly less powerful than 7zip in making files smaller. It's a great format, but it is proprietary with the only compressor made by RAR labs. It is also quite slow and not everyone wants to download software to unpack them.

Tar is an old format created in the heydey of Bell Unix. It does not compress. It is only meant to bundle up files for storage on tapes, the dominant storage system of the day. A tar is usually compress with gzip or the more powerful bzip2. Neither bzip nor gzip are as powerful as RAR or 7zip(but they are pretty dang close), but they shipped standard on all unix systems, making them veristile.

Zip is basically almost the de facto standard in compression - you are almost guarunteed to find a system that will decompress Zips. The problem with a zip is its compression is not as good as the others by a longshot at times. However, it pretty much is the fastest when decompressed and compressed.

Just to back up our friend on how good is .rar format, .rar files even has a recovery system inside it. If it happens that your .rar file is corrupted, there is an option for you to try to recover the files that is previously there when the whole zipped version is still working fine.
Traveller
ftasyo wrote:
Just a curiosity. What is the difference between a *.rar, *.tar and *.zip?

All of the above are file archiving formats, but tar does not do compression. Nowadays, if something is distributed in a tar file, is is compressed with gzip (hence, the common file extensions, ".tgz" and ".tar.gz").

One of the main differences among the compressed archives is the actual compression procedure. Generally speaking, most of today's compression works in the following manner:
  1. The source file is scanned for the longest and most frequently occurring sequences of bytes.
  2. Those sequences are used to create a table in which the most frequent ones are assigned low numbers (usually just one byte) and the less frequent ones are assigned higher numbers (two or more bytes).
  3. Within the file, those sequences are replaced by the numbers they were assigned.
  4. The table is attached to the file for future reference. Expansion is accomplished by reversing the process: the table is used to look up the sequences found in the compressed file, and those sequences are put back into place.
(BTW, this is why some files, especially binary files or smaller text files, get bigger when "compressed": the overhead of the table is more than savings because there aren't many long sequences that occur frequently enough or because the table makes the file larger.)

Since successful and efficient compression is based upon the frequency with which certain sequences are encountered, it only follows that compression would be better if the sequences could occur more frequently. Thus, techniques that archive groups of files first, THEN compress the resulting archive will give better compression results than techniques that create an archive by compressing the individual files. This is why compressed tar files are usually smaller than zip files: zip compresses each file first, then combines them together into a single archive.
Saber
huh, I never noticed that winrar was a trial version. I never opened the program it self, I allways right clicked and clicked extract.

Due to above saying that it was a trial version I opened the program and *pop* a nice message box asking for me to pay for it =\ oh well, got to learn something every day.

Anyways, other than winrar I would suggest winace.
Shin
Even WinRar is not a freeware, but it does not stop you from using it after the trial period, but you get nagging popup when launching it.
servant2work4god
zipgenius will do the trick... but 7zip is way better, in my opinion at least
bangala
Kelvin wrote:
yes it is still possible to use them even without registering. But it is not legally right since it is shareware and not freeware. Probably he's trying to get a free version for legal purposes.

I don't think it's illegal to continue using it this way. It's clearly indicated that you can use it freely this way, however, if you would like to get rid of the nagging popup, then you would need to register it.
budazz
7-zip is all you need... its a great light program it can handle many compression format plus it adds its own 7z format much smaller than rar format
romaop
7zip or Izarc work with .rar files and a bunch of other file compressed formats. They are freeware software.
PseudoKnight
Zipgenius is by far the best of archiving tools I've used, but there's just this one little bug that prevents me from giving it a 100% recommendation. Otherwise it is soooo nice to use.
lukeropro
Shin wrote:
Even WinRar is not a freeware, but it does not stop you from using it after the trial period, but you get nagging popup when launching it.

As long as I don't have to pay for, it's fine with me. I have winRar bundled with windows.
PseudoKnight
I managed to snag a free key for my WinRAR when they had that promotion dealie. I still use ZipGenius though.
Arnie
RARLab also has its own command-line extract tool. (Which isn't free, I just noticed...) Further I can recommend IZArc for supporting loads of formats. Then there's 7-Zip but it supports less formats.
vojtechzilka
I have this problem too, but in MAC OSX. Iam rookie with this OS so maybe its easy here, but I dont know how???
(I downloaded Macha Hacha, but it notify me errors during unpacking ... :-/)
Help me please Smile
hostingguy
exarkun wrote:
WinRar may be a trial version only, but I believed that you can continue using it even without paying. I have tried winAce before. And even without the serial, I can continue the trial version perfectly fine. Only a pop-up to remind me to register though.

Thats correct WinRar does give you a popup that you have to pay after 40 days but you still can use it! Smile
etienne
use go to www.download.com en search for "winrar". You can use this software for free.
akshar
try winRAR its a shareware but u can use it even after the trial period is over
Arnie
etienne wrote:
use go to www.download.com en search for "winrar". You can use this software for free.
Just go to www.rarlab.com Wink
MrBlueSky
vojtechzilka wrote:
I have this problem too, but in MAC OSX. Iam rookie with this OS so maybe its easy here, but I dont know how???
(I downloaded Macha Hacha, but it notify me errors during unpacking ... :-/)
Help me please Smile

You can get a free RAR-extracter for Mac OSX here: http://rarexpander.sourceforge.net/
speed
I think you can try QuickZip. It is a free software. I support .rar files. But the skin not beautiful. If you do not want to pay for WinRAR, you can try this.
QuickZip Site: http://www.quickzip.org/
blueray
If I'am not wrong. There is a open source unpacker from sourceforge.org
But I have forgotten the name of this. At that time I just seeking some 3d apps so I don't try to remember the name of the apps. Sad
welshsteve
jayzee wrote:
well if im not wrong

www.zipgenius.it/
can do it too

I agree with this one. I use ZipGenius and find it very good.
lukeropro
If you want an extractor that can unpack almost everything, then use Universal Extractor. I forgot the link but you can google it. It's very simple to use. Just right click on the file then click UniExtract.
jackill
I'm usien 7zip portable. It's good, frre and You don't need to instal it, just copy to Your hdd Smile

http://portableapps.com/apps/utilities/7-zip_portable
carlospro7
I have 7-zip and it works nicely for a free program
corey
I have to agree with the recommendation for 7zip. It handles most of the rar files out there. Some archives with corruption might require unrar from rarlabs, but, otherwise, 7zip should do the job.
zjosie729
I don't think ZipGenious is a very good idea since it can't unpack a lot of file types, so I recommend 7-Zip. It seems to be able to unpack almost every kind of compressed files.
Arnie
IZArc easily beats 7-Zip when it comes to the number of supported formats.
darkleft
I think WinZip 11 can help you. Now I am using it. It support .rar format files. So, I don't need to use WinRAR anymore. I like use WinZip more than others, like WinRAR, QuickZip etc.
welshsteve
darkleft wrote:
I think WinZip 11 can help you. Now I am using it. It support .rar format files. So, I don't need to use WinRAR anymore. I like use WinZip more than others, like WinRAR, QuickZip etc.

Unforunately, winzip is not free. It will stop working after 30 days or so
Alias
I recommend using 7zip. It's easy to use and has a lot of supported file formats.
icedrakon
7z is the only one i use is free and can uzip evyrithing
Arnie
...... as I said before, it cannot. 7-Zip supports a lot of formats but certainly not all.
mOrpheuS
You can download the UnRAR utility for your operating system from WinRAR's official website - http://www.rarlabs.com/rar_add.htm
silverdown
I might use some of these or at least save some links Very Happy
takashiro
Winrar is free in China. you can download it from www.newhua.com
but the website is in Chinese. you can use google translater.
Josso
What's the problem with WinRAR - it does not expire for me, it still works after years of having it. I hear there's legal issues but the software still does its job without stopping...?
bacon
Quote:

gzip is in my opinion a way more powerful format than RAR because it is a streaming compressor, meaning for example that you can zip/unzip on the spot as you receive data over a network. for RAR file you need access to the complete file to operate.

Example :
Quote:
tar myfile | gzip | ssh user@host "cat > mybackup.tar.gz"
, then
Quote:
ssh user@host "cat mybackup.tar.gz" | zcat | tar -x
Arnie
Which is not particulary useful for the majority of users. But a sysadmin or geek may like it.

By the way, this topic wasn't exactly about which compression format is "best". But to prevent such a topic from being made I'll tell you: none is.
durneata
It is only meant to bundle up files for storage on tapes, the dominant storage system of the day. A tar is usually compress with gzip or the more powerful bzip2. Neither bzip nor gzip are as powerful as RAR or 7zip(but they are pretty dang close), but they shipped standard on all unix systems, making them veristile.
A tar is usually compress with gzip or the more powerful bzip2. Neither bzip nor gzip are as powerful as RAR or 7zip(but they are pretty dang close), but they shipped standard on all unix systems, making them veristile.
uccessful and efficient compression is based upon the frequency with which certain sequences are encountered, it only follows that compression would be better if the sequences could occur more frequently. Thus, techniques that archive groups of files first, THEN compress the resulting archive will give better compression results than techniques that create an archive by compressing the individual files. This is why compressed tar files are usually smaller than zip files: zip compresses each file first, then combines them together into a single archive.
get a free RAR-extracter for Mac OSX here: http://rarexpander.sourceforge.net/ Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Razz
ennnzo
My vote goes to 7-Zip {http://www.7-zip.org} and PeaZip {http://peazip.sourceforge.net}. Both are very functional and very similar to each other. Though, I like PeaZip's interface better. Smile
dbhai
7zip is nice programme.
kiranaghor
on my mac I use:
1. RARExpander
2. UnrarX.

RarExpander is good one between them.
pashmina
are there any web rar extractor?
i really need this.
mmmtastymeal
I'm going to disagree with everyone and recommed ExtractNow (http://www.extractnow.com) it has a very nice drag+drop interface, and supports a very wide variety of compressed formats , including the 7zip format! It can extract multiple files at the same time and is generaly amazing. Dowload It
csoftdev
i think winrar is not trial but it is adware, meaning it has advertisements that comes with it.
I have been using it for many months without problem
swizzy
exarkun wrote:

even winzip has the same plot... both winrar and winzip are nagware.... you can continue to use them, however they keep nagging with dialog boxes asking you to buy it...
akshar
7-zip is a cool one and its a freeware
bulek
I agree, 7zip really does great job.
filesharing
some Packers...

Download WinRAR [Trial]
Download 7zip
Download UniExtract
Download PeaZip
Download IZArc
Download UltimateZip
Download ZipGenius
Download WinZIP [Trial]
Download WinACE
Download FilZip [Trial]
Download TurboZIP [Trial]
Download Squeeze [Trial]
Download ARJ32
Download ZipForge.NET
tdfranc
jwellsy wrote:

Thanks
Jeff

I like 7zip,
it's simple, free, fast,
and you can use it for a lot of things (for example 7z, zip, rar, ...)
fatcat
The most convenient tool is the winRAR
vicar013
This threads been answered by everyone and their auntie.
I got a related question though if anyone cares;

Could anyone shed light on whether there is any difference in speed at which these different programs, eg. 7Zip, LZArc, Winrar and the rest, can decompress an archive?
I'd assume not, since the actual routine that unpacks an archive is the same at least for the big formats (zip and rar). How about it? Are we just debating the prettiest, most efficient graphical interface or is there more to it?
jdelfire
i think imma try those link im having some problem opening zip in vista. but in my xp everything works fine...
MoneyMonsterMail
Winrar is 4 free, you only have to close the Popup and you can use it after Trial Time Smile
Fire Boar
vicar013 wrote:
Could anyone shed light on whether there is any difference in speed at which these different programs, eg. 7Zip, LZArc, Winrar and the rest, can decompress an archive?
I'd assume not, since the actual routine that unpacks an archive is the same at least for the big formats (zip and rar). How about it? Are we just debating the prettiest, most efficient graphical interface or is there more to it?

When you put it that way, unrar has to be the best. As in, apt-get install unrar. Or emerge unrar. Or whatever. Command-line things are always going to be faster than an identical GUI implementation because of reduced overhead caused by forming the UI. Although unrar is just a good program anyway - it can act not only as a stand-alone program but also as an extension to Ark or similar unpackers.
Arnie
I think he meant to ask whether the unpacking algorithms of the mentioned programs differ. (I don't know. One could test it.)
Da Rossa
7zip is the way to go.
mgeek
ftasyo wrote:

ZipGenius was a great tool when I was still working with a Win98 machine. But now, it doesn't seem to work under WinXP. It would have been my first choice for a zipping utility. Alas, development seemed to have stopped.

It is back in development. I am using it on XP and it works just fine. Smile
Studio Madcrow
7zip can open and extract RAR files and has its own advanced compression abilities that can create files that are even better than RARs.
Da Rossa
Studio Madcrow wrote:
7zip can open and extract RAR files and has its own advanced compression abilities that can create files that are even better than RARs.

I wish I could believe that.. can you point us to a 7z x WR test?
xcloudy
jwellsy wrote:

Thanks
Jeff

I could like to suggest 7zip too.
TheOnionRack
gh0stface wrote:
Your best bet is probably 7zip. It's a free and powerful compression/decompression program.

According to there website, they support the following unpacking format:
Quote:
Unpacking only: RAR, CAB, ISO, ARJ, LZH, CHM, Z, CPIO, RPM, DEB and NSIS

You can download it from here

7-zip is the biz. It can handle almost anything. 7-zip Portable is incredibly useful.
weableandbob
I use winRAR. It says you'll have to buy it, but even after it's over, you can still use it to unpack rar's (don't know about making them though). Every time you open one, it tells you to buy it, though. I have 7 zip installed, but i haven't really used it, but you should give that a try, too
j0intster
jwellsy wrote:

Thanks
Jeff

winrar is acualy free it says its just a trial but after it runs out it will just tell u to uninstall and thats all the action it will take
joomla
7zip has caused me nothing but trouble.
Go for ultimatezip it does all and is free too.
Also the free version of winrar is good.
While you are add it: have a look at total commander from gishler. it is a great explorer with anything you need.
ggrbgl
Nothing comes near 7zip. Very good compression, free and fast
Who needs rar when you have 7z!
soljarag
I just use winrar... the popup is kind of annoying... but it still works!
welshsteve
ZipGenius or 7Zip are excellent free archive tools
thienxa1
Winrar is the best.Rarlab.com.Good lcuk !
soljarag
I have been using WinRAR and have put up with the annoying pop up for years
khanzin
Try Seven ZIP

http://www.7-zip.org/

Totally Free and work on 64-Bits