FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Google Apps for Your Domain

hack_man_
How do I set this up? All I need to know is where the DNS settings are on the cool looking Direct Admin theme, I am used to the other one.
Marston
Link?

EDIT: It's not even in beta yet, so if I were you I wouldn't be worried about it for a little while longer.
Animal
You can't do this with a *.frih.net domain because we do not give you full DNS control over the domains. If you own a domain name (such as your_site.com) then you can take advantage of the Google Hosted service.

To do so, you first need to be accepted by Google for the service - sign up at https://www.google.com/a/

Next, you need to go to your domain name control panel (with the company you bought the domain from) and alter the DNS settings.
Point the A-Record to 216.32.85.170 (the Frihost IP Address for server 2)
Change the MX records to the settings given to you by Google when you sign up - this will be something like this:
Code:
1 ASPMX.L.GOOGLE.COM
5 ALT1.ASPMX.L.GOOGLE.COM

5 ALT2.ASPMX.L.GOOGLE.COM

10 ASPMX2.GOOGLEMAIL.COM

10 ASPMX3.GOOGLEMAIL.COM

10 ASPMX4.GOOGLEMAIL.COM

10 ASPMX5.GOOGLEMAIL.COM

You will then need to verify with Google that you own the domain by placing an html page containing a password they give you on your site - once this is done, you should be ready to go after 12 hours or so once the DNS changes have propagated across the internet.

If you do not have full DNS control with your domain supplier, you can sign up with http://freedns.afraid.org - they will give you DNS control. You then change the nameservers on your domain control panel to the freedns nameservers. You then alter the A-Record and MX settings at freedns as outlined above.

HTH Very Happy
hack_man_
I have been looking for a couple of good sub-domains for a while now, they are all too specific or too unspecific and none make any sense when you put a word before it. Like subdomain.googlesucks.com (Unless is is "ithink" and they don't) or subdomain.eat.com

If I already created the google hosted services thing, whould i need to make a new one for the new domain?
Animal
hack_man_ wrote:
If I already created the google hosted services thing, whould i need to make a new one for the new domain?

Yes. Google Apps For Your Domain is on a per-domain basis (since the emails have to come from something@your_domain.com. However, since you've already signed up for Google Apps, they may or may not give you a second account. I'd suggest you apply to Google first before setting up a new subdomain with another service.
Daniel15
Quote:
If you do not have full DNS control with your domain supplier, you can sign up with http://freedns.afraid.org - they will give you DNS control. You then change the nameservers on your domain control panel to the freedns nameservers. You then alter the A-Record and MX settings at freedns as outlined above.

I previously made a post about how to do this with EveryDNS. See http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-44274.html
I personally prefer EveryDNS over afraid.org, as their servers seem to be faster, I like the EveryDNS interface more, and they have less limitations. However, I guess there just personal reasons Wink
scotty
Just trying to work this out, these services (EasyDNS, etc.) allow you to use the GoogleApps if you can only change the nameserver and not mail forwarding?
Animal
scotty wrote:
Just trying to work this out, these services (EasyDNS, etc.) allow you to use the GoogleApps if you can only change the nameserver and not mail forwarding?

Yes - you only need to use everyDNS if your domain registrar doesn't give you access to DNS settings.
scotty
I had a look at: http://freedns.afraid.org/ and I've read something about other people creating sub domains to my domain. You can't stop this unless you go premium. Does http://www.everydns.net/ let people use your domain?

If http://www.everydns.net/ also does this what have you guys experienced when it comes to people wanting to use your domain?
Daniel15
Quote:
Does http://www.everydns.net/ let people use your domain?

No, EveryDNS don't do this Wink
All your domains are only accessible from your account.
scotty
Daniel15 wrote:
Quote:

Good. I think it is a nice idea but you shouldn't have to pay to prevent it. One positive I thought of is that it could increase your traffic, that is all I could think of though.
Daniel15
scotty wrote:
Daniel15 wrote:
Quote:

Good. I think it is a nice idea but you shouldn't have to pay to prevent it. One positive I thought of is that it could increase your traffic, that is all I could think of though.

Well, some people have domains that they no longer need, so rather than wasting them, they allow other people to create subdomains off of them Very Happy

Anyways, back on topic... Has anyone here used the Google Services thing? Is it any good?
scotty
Google Services as in the email they provide your domain? If yes then yeah I've set my domain up with it and it's pretty good. If you are talking about they page creator stuff with their 100 MB of hosting, I think that looks a bit crappy but I'm guessing the reliability would be good.
Animal
Daniel15 wrote:
Anyways, back on topic... Has anyone here used the Google Services thing? Is it any good?

I use it - I think it's fantastic. 2Gb email space, full pop/smtp access etc with an interface the same as Gmail. You can also set your own graphics for the webmail page and so on.

If you like, I can set up a test account on my site for you to "try before you buy" - send me a PM (or IM if I'm online) if you're interested.
hack_man_
lol, thanks! But if I recall... You set it up for me! I have used it before anyway, but there are lots of ways they can improve it! They no doubt will at some point! :p
Animal
hack_man_ wrote:
lol, thanks! But if I recall... You set it up for me! I have used it before anyway, but there are lots of ways they can improve it! They no doubt will at some point! :p

Wasn't talking to you there, chief!
Daniel15
Animal wrote:
hack_man_ wrote:

Wasn't talking to you there, chief!

I guess you were talking to me, then Razz
It's alright, I don't really need 2GB of email space... The email provided by FriHost is more than enough for me Smile
MadeinIndia
Hi I am sorry for not searching before posting a seperate query about MX records. I did read this thread and tried to follow the instructions by "Animal" but unable to. I had a chat with register.com's web service consultant.

He says that once they change the DNS, the zone files are sent to the host and they have to make the necessary changes.

He said that he can make the A-record point to the frihost IP and also make the MX changes, but only if the nameservers are of register.com's. Once he changes the nameserves to frihost's name servers, he cannot change the A-record or the MX.

He suggest I contact the DNS administrator in my hosting server. Can someone pls help me?
scotty
MadeinIndia wrote:
Hi I am sorry for not searching before posting a seperate query about MX records. I did read this thread and tried to follow the instructions by "Animal" but unable to. I had a chat with register.com's web service consultant.

He says that once they change the DNS, the zone files are sent to the host and they have to make the necessary changes.

He said that he can make the A-record point to the frihost IP and also make the MX changes, but only if the nameservers are of register.com's. Once he changes the nameserves to frihost's name servers, he cannot change the A-record or the MX.

He suggest I contact the DNS administrator in my hosting server. Can someone pls help me?

Frihost does not offer MX or A record modification therefore you have to use a third party DNS service. I use http://www.everydns.net/ which is free and so far I'm very satisfied.

Go and sign up there, it's free as I mentioned above. Then get your guy who is going to change the nameservers for you to point them to:

ns1.everydns.net
ns2.everydns.net
ns3.everydns.net
ns4.everydns.net

Then you follow the guides on Google's website about changing MX records at your control panel at EveryDNS. You send your A record to Frihost, the IP address for Frihost is 216.32.85.170 for server 2 (If you have Direct Admin). That sets up the web traffic to go to Frihost and your email to go to Google. Then wait a bit for the records to resolve and then it should all be working perfectly within 24 hours.
MadeinIndia
Okay, EveryDNS looks good but I won't risk it. See, My control panel at Register.com gives me the option to edit A record and MX if I keep the nameservers as Register.com's. So I revert back to Register.com's name servers, edit the A record to point to Frihost and MX to Google, will the nameservers automatically resolve to Frihost?
mathiaus
MadeinIndia wrote:
So I revert back to Register.com's name servers, edit the A record to point to Frihost and MX to Google, will the nameservers automatically resolve to Frihost?

The nameservers wil resolve to register.com though they will forward web traffic to frihost and email traffic to google. This will happen automaticlly but not immediatly.
scotty
The only reason why you need to change the name servers is to point your domain to a computer than can tell web browsers where to go and email where to go.

For Google Apps to work:

Your MX records must go to Google. Your A Record must go to Frihost.

Your name servers can go to register.com or EveryDNS it doesn't matter they will both do the same thing if set up correctly. I'd reccomend using register.com if they offer the service. I only use EveryDNS because I don't want to pay extra (optinom.com is a crap place to register domains).

MadeinIndia wrote:
will the nameservers automatically resolve to Frihost?
Your domain will resolve to Frihost if your A record is the Frihost Ip address.
MadeinIndia
But if I do that, once the Frihost dns are resolved, will their MX records over ride and erase the Google MX records?
Animal
MadeinIndia wrote:
But if I do that, once the Frihost dns are resolved, will their MX records over ride and erase the Google MX records?

Use the Register.com Nameservers, then direct them towards Frihost's A-Record and Google's MX Records.
As long as you've only set the A-Record to Frihost's IP address, it will not override the Gmail MX Record settings. If you want to use Gmail for your Domain, you must not point the domain to Frihost's Nameservers.
MadeinIndia
I am changing the MX records in register.com but there is a field I am not able to understand

Hostname: __________ .cellyourcity.com

What should I fill there?
MadeinIndia
The MX records work but now my page is redirected to a register.com page inspite of putting Frihost A records! And my FTP is not working!! I am panicking! Help! Before I get a heart attack!

Do you think I should add CName for my ftp to work? What is Frihosts CNAME?
Animal
You need to change the MX records and the A-Records. The A-Record should be 216.32.85.170
MadeinIndia
Thanks so much! Now both my email at Google and the site work properly! It has been worth it for all the effort!

Now if anyone wants to know about Google Apps, I am the expert!! haha!
jon9314
http://www.everydns.net said that my doman is too short.
please give complete details on what i need to do where.
scotty
We need to know what your domain is. Also what are you entering into EveryDNS?
mathiaus
You cannot use your frih.net domain for this. You will need to register your own domain (or apply for a free one somewhere or subdomain where you can change DNS records [or even handier A & MX]).
Marston
It seems to me like you'd probably even need your own TLD to do this... I tried with a free subdomain from freedns.afraid.org and it doesn't work.
jon9314
does anyone know of a free host that allows dns changes?
Animal
jon9314 wrote:
does anyone know of a free host that allows dns changes?

I believe you can get one from http://freedns.afraid.org
Marston
^ Although I don't think that freedns.afraid.org will allow you to do it.
Animal
Marston wrote:
^ Although I don't think that freedns.afraid.org will allow you to do it.

I've successfully set up a free domain with freedns to use the Google Apps For Your Domain (with the MX settings) and Frihost (with the A-Record).

What difficulties did you hit? Confused
Marston
I couldn't find a way to enter multiple records/record types.
Animal
Marston wrote:
I couldn't find a way to enter multiple records/record types.

You can do it - you just need to add a new record type for the same subdomain. But the free version has a limit of 5 subdomain records - it will still work with Google Apps, but you need to use all 5 - the A-Record then the first 4 MX records from Google Apps.
jon9314
when i try add the mx records from googleaps i get the folowing error--
1 error
aspmx.l.google.com. failed invalid character check... MX records are in the format of yourname.yourdomain.com or yourdomain.com... also remember MX records are used for mail servers ONLY, so that you may route e-mail to a offsite location if you wish. If you don't specify a MX record, email to your domain will default to your address.

please help
Animal
jon9314 wrote:
aspmx.l.google.com. failed invalid character check...

I came across this error too. Are you trying to add more than one MX record per "subdomain" setting? I could not get it to work unless I created a completely separate MX record for the first four MX settings given by Google plus one for the A-Record.
swizzy
can somebody tell me in short

how do i configure google apps for my site swizzy.frih.net ????
Animal
swizzy wrote:
can somebody tell me in short

how do i configure google apps for my site swizzy.frih.net ????

Unfortunately, you can't. You need full DNS control of the domain you are using, so you can't use any .frih.net domain with Google Apps.

You can use Google Apps with any domain name you buy or a free domain that allows you to change DNS/nameserver settings (I believe the free .uni.cc domains offer DNS control).
guissmo
Is there a way where I can get a *.frih.net domain for the GoogApp?

Will it be available eventually?
Animal
guissmo wrote:
Is there a way where I can get a *.frih.net domain for the GoogApp?

Will it be available eventually?

I'm afraid this is currently not possible, nor will it be possible. In order for us to allow users to set up Google Apps with their Frihost addresses, we would need to give you DNS control - this is a fairly serious security risk, and most uses of it (with the exception of using external mail services) would be in breach of the TOS.

You can, however, use a .uni.cc address with Google Apps and Frihost - simply add it as a new domain and change the A and MX records with your uni.cc control panel. There are other free addresses that let you do this, and you will be able to use any TLD with Google Apps / Frihost.

Hope this helps!
GB
This is pretty helpful, I think. I believe my problem is that I didn't know to change the A Record. Hopefully, that will fix it.
GB
Okay, so I went and tried it. I have been battling with this for a couple weeks and cannot figure it out. I have my own domain and pointed the A Record to 216.32.85.170. I pointed CNAME Records to ghs.google.com as instructed by google. I modified MX records per Google's instruction. However, it still says it is set up incorrectly. Any idea what is going on? Thanks for your help!

**EDIT**
I also should mention that my nameservers are pointing towards the appropriate frih.net servers. Thanks for your help!
mOrpheuS
GB wrote:
pointed the A Record to 216.32.85.170. I pointed CNAME Records to ghs.google.com as instructed by google. I modified MX records per Google's instruction
GB wrote:
I also should mention that my nameservers are pointing towards the appropriate frih.net servers. Thanks for your help!

Where exactly did you make the above changes ?

I don't think you'll be able to make those changes if you are using FRIHost nameservers.
GB
I made them on Yahoo's site, where I have my domain name registered. I found out from Google's help thing that it wasn't doing anything. So it seems like I need to follow the procedure outlined here, getting dns control and pointing the name servers there. Then keep the A record and CNAME the same. Then modify the MX records at the free dns control place. I'll try this approach.

**EDIT/UPDATE**

Well, I've got it set up with EveryDNS, but when I point the nameservers to EveryDNS, it isn't picking up the A record which points to my website on Frihost and the MX records aren't going to Google. Does anyone know what I did wrong? I can add all the records at EveryDNS, but for some reason the only effect making my website throw a 404.

Thanks for any and all help.