FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

CPU Temperature

RiCtee
Please post your CPU temperature, in C. I'm just curious, and to see what is the "normal" and "usable without frying your pc" range is. Very Happy
Check the temperature out of the OS, as it's lower and inaccurate there.

Mine is 32C, at last count.
izcool
My computer has been on for like a week, and my Intel Pentium 4 @ 2.4GHz temperature reads at :

43*C (or 109*F)

- Mike.
badai
63C
GameFreak
Well, mine's been on for like 3 days and it's around 25-35 degrees. It's fine. It's an Intel Pentium 4.
psycosquirrel
Opteron 146:
- Old main rig: about 45C load (35% overclock),
- New main rig (shuttle): 45C load (no overclock)

P3 server:
- about 55C load, runs 24/7 100% stable.

AMD 2000 system:
- Old temp: about 110C load
- New temp (new, huge HSF): about 60C load

P4 server (not fully functional yet):
- I would guess 50C or so load...

All systems are and always were stable. The AMD 2000 system ran 100% stable for about a year and a half as a server at over 100 degrees Celsius core temp. It still runs stable and good with the new heatsink, without risk of fire. The "Old main rig" was basically the same rig I have now, but it was in a mATX case instead of a shuttle, so I was using a Thermaltake Blue Orb II. The mATX mobo had good overclocking options, unlike the shuttle, so it worked great with the overclock.
diduknowthat
My amd 64 2800+ is at 30C right now.
PseudoKnight
How are you reading your temp? Be careful not to read the wrong one as some apps will incorrectly label them. The best way to find out if it's the correct temp (assuming this could be an issue for you, depending on your source) is to start a program that uses the CPU a decent amount and watch for a rapid increase.

Mine is 39-40 degrees Celcius at idle, 45-46 at load.
htmlrules
mines 50 C with case on and about 42C without it on
RiCtee
Wow wow wow....my pc must be too cool. Cool I'm gonna overclock it more!! Razz
diduknowthat
htmlrules wrote:
mines 50 C with case on and about 42C without it on

with case on? fan?

Quote:

How are you reading your temp? Be careful not to read the wrong one as some apps will incorrectly label them. The best way to find out if it's the correct temp (assuming this could be an issue for you, depending on your source) is to start a program that uses the CPU a decent amount and watch for a rapid increase.

The most accurate way would be going into the bios, but that will only give you an idle temp. As for load temp, first open a temperature application with a graph, then play a game, then alt tab out and see how high the temperature went.
ocalhoun
The hottest I've seen my CPU at is 68 C.
I don't overclock it at all, and even running idle with only the BIOS operating after a cold boot it is 36 C.
It's a (now rather old) Athalon 1.4 Ghz. No, not athalon XP or athalon 64: just athalon.
technology.sponge
On a normal day, not boiling 40C or freezing 10C, cpu under load:
Pentium 4 1.6Ghz Willamette 256KByte L2 400Mhz FSB
Case - 29C
CPU - 40C

Overclocked from 1.6ghz to 1.696ghz (1.7):

Case - 32C
CPU - 49C

my cpu used to go up to 69C then set off the BIOS alarm at 70 but that was cos of a heatsink issue. so much dust n crap had built up in the gap between the fan and heatsink over 4 years, that the cake of dust was touching the fan blades. that restricted the airflow greatly and reduced the rpm
Prabhu Raj
Each and every processor has their own thermal specification. Some has lower breakage point and some has high.

I guess there is no point in observing the temperature of other processors. Go to Intel.com or the home page of your processor manufacturer and search for the thermal specification for your processor model.
JBotAlan
technology.sponge wrote:
my cpu used to go up to 69C then set off the BIOS alarm at 70 but that was cos of a heatsink issue. so much dust n crap had built up in the gap between the fan and heatsink over 4 years, that the cake of dust was touching the fan blades. that restricted the airflow greatly and reduced the rpm

AAHH!! You know how to overclock, but you don't keep your heatsink clean? Why would you do that to yourself? Wink

I am running a Dell Latitude D520 (it's a laptop) and my monitoring tool reports about 50*C at idle, but it seems that the fan and heatsink are not accurate because the longer I run it, even at idle, the hotter it gets. I've never seen it above about 70ish, and that was with both cores at 100% for about 15 minutes (VirtualDub is cool!). I would prefer it cooler, since it is less than an inch from my you-know-what, but it hasn't cooked vital parts yet...

JBot
orcaz
Mine fluctuates from 50 to 60 degrees celcius. The highest temperature my comp can go is 65 degrees before it autoshutdown. From the previous posts, I noticed that there is a trend where AMD processors seem to be of a lower operating temperature as compared to Intel Processors.
Saber
well at least this time of year my computer runs idle at 21*c goes to the mid 30's when its at full load. And if I want to cool it more, I just open the widow and then idle drops to about 14*c and work load goes to about mid 20's.

Other times of the year, it normally runs idle about 35*c and work load 40+

Now the thing that I keep on wondering about, my mother board runs hotter than the cpu by a few degrees. Is that normal?

-saber
ssthanapati
Posting procc temp is pretty useless i feel cause it depends on many factors like

1. Ambient temp
2. System Load
3. Type of Procc
4. Condition of heat sink ( one that has accumulated dust will have higher temp)
5. Wiring arrangement inside ur Case
etc.

So for sme it may b high and for some it may b low
jackill
Yes and the best software to measure CPU temps is Core Temp http://www.thecoolest.zerobrains.com/CoreTemp/ . Why?

Quote:
Core Temp does not rely on motherboard's onboard circuit but on a so called "DTS" (Digital Thermal Sensor), which provides much higher accuracy and more relevant temperature than the standard thermal diode does.
Teezgaff
Using ASUS Probe...

AMD64 4000+ with supplied fan 55c 131f

Was alot higher until I hoovered out the dust from my heatsink and fan.. Embarassed
Arnie
I see why you're wearing that gasmask. Smile
Da Rossa
AMD Athlon XP 2800+ = 45C.
cvkien
pentium D 3.0, when i on the aircondition, it will become around 36-38C. without aircondition, around 40 - 42 C.
bigdbag
amd 64 3800+ (not OC) is going at 30 C standing. When I play half-life 2 for 30 min the temp increases to 39 to 42 C.
TheGeek
Opteron 148

27-29C Idle (web browsing)

38-40C Full load (Prime95)
ashok
Intel Pentium 4 @ 2.4GHz

temperature reads at : 43*C (or 109*F)
Idoru
TripleCore AMD Phenom, 2100 MHz, at 48C to 54C according to SpeedFan.
Problem is that the fan to the heat-sink included runs at about 3200-3500rpm constantlly...
It produces an annoying sound, ofcourse. Is it normal with that high a speed? (Just bought the CPU a couple
of weeks ago. Am seriously thinking of buying a different heat-sink, good idea?)
Chris65536
Kindly assume I am an idiot and tell me how to find out CPU temp.

jackill, that link seems dead. Just throws up a 404 page for me.
jackill
They changed hosting, now: http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/
Chris65536
In that case, for my dual core processor I get 39 and 44 degrees whilst the computer is idling.

Why each core is so different, I don't know.... Rolling Eyes
Diablosblizz
My main PC is currently 33C, it's pretty average I suppose. Then again, it's a 3.0 GHZ with a lot into one small box. Processor fan and heat sink get fast QUICKLY. My graphics card is 40 when it's idle, and it can get upto 62 when gaming.

I guess that's average, although really hot!

I'm not sure of my server, although it's downstairs and collecting dust so I'd figure maybe 23 or more? Can't be asked to download Speedfan, too much work.
Idoru
Hi again!

The humming got to much, so I bought a new CPU-fan. An Artic Cooling, and the temp is down ten degrees,
to an average 40. Nice =)
Also nice is that after installing it, I got 'CPU-fan error' when starting up. I turned it of again, opened
the case and started. Looked at the fan, and it was spinning. My wife asked me if it was running, since she,
sitting 4 yards away, couldn't hear it =)
I actually had to look closer, just to be sure.

The next project, quite soon, will be a new chassi-fan aswell =) So well spent money.
reb00table
My cpu temp depends on the rooms' temp. average: 40C.
Videocard cpu is at 41C (gaming or idle)
Kelcey
I have my Q6600 OC'ed to 2.7 GHz and it runs at 27 C idle. Under load, it hits around 40 C.
Jamatu
Mine is running at 62C - I'll be building a HTPC soon so my aim is to keep it as quiet as possible whilst still keeping it cool.
Idoru
As it turns out, the low-budget case doesn't coop it. Having problems with the GPU because it gets to hot...
Doesn't matter as much as it should that I put an old noisy fan straight on it Sad
Have to get a new case...
Helios
I also have arctic cooling (freezer 7 pro)! Great heatsink! Also very easy to clean Smile

The only problem is that after a year or so it becomes a few dB louder, but it's no big deal really. Just clean it once every two months or so and you'll be fine.

About the case, just get a Tower case and hide it somewhere. It's much easier to keep ventilated even with a single 120mm fan. I have the big 8800gts video card, and it sits there at normal temperature.
internetjobs
cpu temperature is depends on the load?
ForceRun
The core temp for everyone's cpu should be about the same way read regardless of other factors. It is the temp that your motherboard/cpu sensor give you.

For most CPU; safe is under 60C while I would say try to keep it under 50C. You will need to check you specific cpu on the big chart to find out what it can take.

I got mine E6750 at 3.5 Ghz (50% Overclock) and it runs at 34-40C, with any after market fan.
psycosquirrel
Desktop ran at 60C load for awhile.

My laptop runs at around 50C load. I've seen laptops loading at 90C last for years though.

I also used to have a server that ran an AMD processor and chipset. The CPU was around 100C load, and the NB was 120C load. It ran like that for 2 years before a particularly hot day melted the CPU to the motherboard.
psycosquirrel
Desktop ran at 60C load for awhile.

My laptop runs at around 50C load. I've seen laptops loading at 90C last for years though.

I also used to have a server that ran an AMD processor and chipset. The CPU was around 100C load, and the NB was 120C load. It ran like that for 2 years before a particularly hot day melted the CPU to the motherboard.