FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

[Cricket] Shoaib and Asif positive

kany
Well its really a blow for the pakistanis to have there both pacers Shoaib Akhtar and Muhammad Asif being sent back after having a positive dop test. Now it seems like Pakistan will the weaker side of the lot. Lets see How they perform in the first match.
fbcompany
wow not good for the image of pakistan cricket. Ball tampering (although cleared) and now this.

I can see how shoaib could be aided by performance enhancing drugs (steroids in this case). Because it would prolly give him a little extra speed. But asif, he is hardly an express bowler who requires that little bit extra to be deadly. More of a regulation line and length man.

So whats going on people?
mayur
man thses morons are just crapping up the game!

cricket isnt a energy sapper like soccer, or aother field games. What was once considered a gentlemans game is now mared in controversy and doping is wat we were missing.

good to see that along with other scandals we have doping as well. Shane warne was sent back from the world cup and now shoaib...

i can understand that shoaib needs some power enhancing stuff for his speed, but asif is a nobody bowler....
noliver
Not defending what they did - but Nandrolone(what they allegedly tested positive for ) is similar in structure to Testosterone. It has been proven that by taking protein shakes and by doing a heavy workout, these levels increase, thus making it far more easier to fail the drug test.

As Allan Donald ( Former South African Fast Bowler) explained - the coaches/trainers/athletes all get lists of forbidden drugs. If they take the drugs on the list and then go for a urine sample they must be just plain stupid. I personally think its something else.

Ayway, a B test still has to be done.
mayur
noliver wrote:
Not defending what they did - but Nandrolone(what they allegedly tested positive for ) is similar in structure to Testosterone. It has been proven that by taking protein shakes and by doing a heavy workout, these levels increase, thus making it far more easier to fail the drug test.

As Allan Donald ( Former South African Fast Bowler) explained - the coaches/trainers/athletes all get lists of forbidden drugs. If they take the drugs on the list and then go for a urine sample they must be just plain stupid. I personally think its something else.

Ayway, a B test still has to be done.

Well all i can say is that they are hot headed arrogant n ignorant fools, who have soiled their reputation but also that of the team. I was dying to watch shoiab vs dravid in the semis, and i know pakistan were gonna extract revenge for the ODIs but now their chances of making it to the last 4 are pretty bleak!
kany
Well Seems Like the Pakistani Team isn't at lose after loosing their attack . They mended it well with their nice performance with the bat. But the next two games are even tougher.
Also West Indies Won from Australia and NewZealand Beat South Africa. Seems like the Champions Trophy has taken a start in a really unconventional way.
mayur
razzaq helped them in the first game with something that has become his trademark now, but I seriously doubt pakistan's chances of making it to the last four especially with new zealand's upset of south africa...

not to forget te swishing blade of jayasurya, Sri lanka will vow to ocme back in the league and stake a claim for the last four.

all in all seems to be heading to an exciting tournament....
Muslim4life
hey,

My favourite sport is Cricket and i loved it all the time and i hav played it since year2, i am good at it, i am a =n allrounder, but i like to bat.

My favourite player is Shahid Afridi Coz he hits so many 6's and he has a record of the fastest centry, 100 runs in 36 balls, fully sik.
There is a wicked online cricket game, on this site www.stickcricket.com,
it is very fun and u can verse others online too.

ty
mayur
yea we all love stick cricket, we play the leagues and its a lot of fun in school.

wat do you guys think of the australia-windies game? friggin excitin rite? the windies innings was damp but the aussie inning was packed with excitement until the last momrnt!
vignesh_natraj
Asif is a good swing bowler bad to see him go like this so early in his career.
noliver
Well the punishments ( a bit severe in my opinion) has been dealt out. This may be careeer-ending for Akhtar due to a two-year ban.

Source :
http://www.cricinfo.com/pakistan/content/current/story/266573.html

Quote:

Shoaib and Asif banned for drugs use

Cricinfo staff

November 1, 2006

Shoaib Akhtar has been banned from cricket for two years and Mohammad Asif for one, after being found guilty by the Pakistan Cricket Board of using the banned substance, nandrolone.

Both men tested positive in the build-up to the Champions Trophy, and were pulled out of Pakistan's squad on October 16, the day before their opening game. The ban could effectively end Shoaib's career, because he will be 33 by the time the ban is lifted.

The testing had been conducted internally by the PCB, and a three-man tribunal comprising barrister Shahid Hamid, the former captain Intikhab Alam and Waqar Ahmed, a medical expert, had conducted an inquiry.

Both men had been recovering from injuries in the weeks and months building up to their positive tests, with Shoaib suffering from knee and ankle problems and Asif fighting back from a shoulder problem that forced him to miss much of Pakistan's tour of England last summer.

Shoaib initially denied any misconduct, saying: "I have not knowingly taken any performance enhancing drugs and would never cheat my team-mates or opponents in this way." But earlier this week, both men declined the offer of a retest on their B samples, which implied that they did not question the results.