FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Can't login to Ubuntu!

a.Bird
Let me preface by saying I'm a noob and all I want to friggin do is learn how to use Ubuntu, but I can't login.

Downloaded and burnt ubuntu-6.06.1-alternate-i386.iso and loaded it to bring up install menu. Gave me the option of installing with either the text mode or oem mode. The first time, I chose oem mode. Everything went great and I remembered what my username (lowercase) and password was. After I installed Ubuntu for about an hour and a half, I came to the Login screen. Wooot! Entered username and password EXACTLY as I had set it up in the installation. "Incorrect username or password." Okay... so I reinstalled in text mode (like it would make any difference) and used the same username and password. The user name is simple: zac. The password is one I've used for various accounts for like 8 years. I'm not messing this up. Ubuntu is F**KING WITH ME. Evil or Very Mad

Any suggestions??
KHO
root with the same password Neutral
Or zac with no Password.
a.Bird
Neither of those worked. What I ended up doing was going into the GRUB menu and booting in recovery mode. I used
Code:
cat /etc/passwd | grep zac

to see if I was even listed and it wasn't. Added a new username "zac" and it logged in. I'm so happy now.
Animal
a.Bird wrote:
Neither of those worked. What I ended up doing was going into the GRUB menu and booting in recovery mode. I used
Code:
cat /etc/passwd | grep zac

to see if I was even listed and it wasn't. Added a new username "zac" and it logged in. I'm so happy now.

Problem solved.

-close-