FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

What is it with america stealing English TV shows?

Jack_Hammer
Pop Idol - american Idol
Police Camara Action - Worlds Wildest Police Videos
Teachers - Teachers
The Office - The Office an american Workspace
Coupling - Coupling USA
Dads Army - Rear Gaurd

etc, but what is the point?
truespeed
The reverse also happens,half of what is on in england is stolen from an original idea from the US. Good TV formats make good TV wherever they are shown.
a.Bird
The American version of The Office is terrible, IMO. The BBC version is hilarious.
Soulfire
You forgot Queer as Folk. Hehe, I just remember seeing an ad for it awhile back "Is America ready?"

For God knows whatever reason, that statement stuck with me.

But anyways, the reverse is true, but I don't know enough about British T.V. to tell you which shows go where. And stealing is a bit harsh, don't ya think?
meet in rio
Then again, no-one does glossy trash like North Americans (Nip/Tuck, Desperate Housewives, Lost, The OC).

I don't know whether or not I prefer Blackadder/Python/Red Dwarf and so forth.

Diverging a little, are Ali G/Borat/Bruno programmes ever broadcast in the USA? Because Baron-Cohen seems to be able to set up 'interviews' with some quite respectable Americans who seem to have no idea that he isn't a legitimate British TV host.
Tumbleweed
Jack_Hammer wrote:
Pop Idol - american Idol
Teachers - Teachers
Coupling - Coupling USA
Dads Army - Rear Gaurd

Lets forgive them.............they invented The Simpsons Razz
billybob
tumbleweed wrote:
Jack_Hammer wrote:
Pop Idol - american Idol
Teachers - Teachers
Coupling - Coupling USA
Dads Army - Rear Gaurd

Lets forgive them.............they invented The Simpsons Razz

i 2nd that but dont forget about Freidns!
hack_man_
I agree, the US should stop stealing our good ideas and then shaming themselves with performances the the US office.
Jack_Hammer
I know a couple of British shows that have been stolen from the US, but not many, and the show itself seems to be dumb...
ncwdavid
The English stole fear factor from the americans and Pimp My ride and the american ones were 10 times better.
Blaster
yea people steal shows all the time. Now you have Indian idle and stuff. Its all a big thing that goes around. It really shows that its a good show.
GProject
a.Bird wrote:
The American version of The Office is terrible, IMO. The BBC version is hilarious.

No it isn't - they've really made it thier own since the first season ended. I'm a huge fan of the UK Office (watched it since it's original UK airings - series 1 as well, before everyone jumped on the bandwagon), and while I can admit that the first episode of the US version was awful (the UK script did not translate well), as soon as they started writing their own stuff it got much better.

Now the US version is on its third season, doing very well and deservedly so. Steve Carrell is fantastic, and it's one of the funnier shows coming out of the States at the moment. It's easy to slag it off, but most who do haven't even seen the show past the first 6 episodes.
snowboardalliance
a.Bird wrote:

The American version is hilarious. of course I saw the BBC one just once and just couldnt get into it. First of all, I was used to the American one. Second, it may be just a natural bias against "British humor" I have. Really I think most Americans would like the American version and people in UK, the BBC version.
Liu
Is it really something to cry about and does it really affect you?
Vandalyzed
Just one thing to note.........

As far as American Idol goes....... Simon Cal, who was part of the production of the English Pop Idol, is the one who brought it over to the US. So, in effect, the US did not STEAL that show.

I'm sure the same goes for most of the shows you want to mention. Stealing is an inappropriate word.

Basically, it adds up to money. It worked in one market, take it to another market and make more money. Nothing wrong with that.
rileyvace
Well as a fellow brit i agree. But i also agree that we have taken american tv shows. But america have stolen most of our sports too!!

Baseball - was invented by Alexander Cartwright:

Baseball was based on the English game of rounders. Rounders become popular in the United States in the early 19th century, where the game was called "townball", "base", or "baseball". Cartwright formalized the modern rules of baseball.

Reference: http://inventors.about.com/library/inventors/blbaseball.htm

American Football - rugby anyone?
Soccer - it's called football... _
There's oads more but I'm tired and wanna go to bed

*yawns* Night night
truespeed
Where would we be if we didnt borrow ideas from other countries and cultures,we wouldnt have a world cup,we would be playing wales,scotland and ireland all the time,borrowing ideas makes sports like football ,world sports,good ideas wether they be sports or tv,will make the cross over into other countries,its this sharing of ideas that allows us,and other countrues to grow and develop.
rawb24
ok,does it really matter if north america steals your damn british shows?
Just Be Glad We didn't steal your beloved "Cornation Street" or "Emmerdale".hell ya like we would actually take those shows Razz Wink
rawb24
snowboardalliance wrote:
a.Bird wrote:

The American version is hilarious. of course I saw the BBC one just once and just couldnt get into it. First of all, I was used to the American one. Second, it may be just a natural bias against "British humor" I have. Really I think most Americans would like the American version and people in UK, the BBC version.

Little Britain is extremly stupid and a bit offensive if you ask me.as snowboard said maybe us North Amercians Just don't get "British Humor"