FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Computer not booting.

Saber
Well I was hoping htat this computer would last me untill I got a laptop, but I guess not.

When I tried to turn it on this morning, it started normally, spinning up the fan, and then making the single beep, but thats where it starts going down.
It mapes 4 higher pitched beeps and then after a while it makes 4 lower pitched beeps just after the harddrives spin up.

As far as I can tell there isnt any visible problems, any one have an idea?

My current thought is the ram either died, and or the motherboard died.
I have tried a few sticks of ram(yes the right kind) and they worked last time I tested them.
The harddrives work, as I can put them in another pc and start up..
so yah... Is this even worth working on of waiting computer less for a few weeks untill I get another?
Kelvin
4 beeps? Should be related to either RAM or VGA slot. If you are getting display but failure to boot, then porbably it's due to the RAM slot. When was the last time you cleaned your inner casing of dust? You can try swithcing to another RAM slot after cleaning. If you are using multiple slots, try inserting them 1 at a time.

Some comps get extremely sensitive over time (nearing its lifespan) and even moving or tapping on the casing could cause failure to reboot. But most of the time, i just have to readjust the slotted hardware for it to work again. good luck.
KHO
Try alternating the RAM aswell, by this I mean that you should use one stick at a time, alternating the sticks and ports. I have a computer that for some reason decided not to accept a RAM slot one day, and if I tried to use it, it gave me something very similiar to what you have now Neutral.
jwellsy
Take a flashlight and examine the motherboard.
Try to find out who the mobo manufacturer is and the model number.
Then google to find the beep codes for that mfg.
Beeps are described as long or short beeps, like morse code.

You may have to figure out what bios program your mfg normally uses
then google up the beep codes for that bios program.
zyee
maybe the arrangement of the ram is not correct, check if your ram is arranged accordint to the arrangement.
ezekiel_rage
Saber wrote:
Well I was hoping htat this computer would last me untill I got a laptop, but I guess not.

When I tried to turn it on this morning, it started normally, spinning up the fan, and then making the single beep, but thats where it starts going down.
It mapes 4 higher pitched beeps and then after a while it makes 4 lower pitched beeps just after the harddrives spin up.

As far as I can tell there isnt any visible problems, any one have an idea?

My current thought is the ram either died, and or the motherboard died.
I have tried a few sticks of ram(yes the right kind) and they worked last time I tested them.
The harddrives work, as I can put them in another pc and start up..
so yah... Is this even worth working on of waiting computer less for a few weeks untill I get another?

Is the 4 beeps like 1 short beep and 3 long beeps?

If it is it most like a problem with your dysplay adapter (video card).

Try to removed your video cad and then put it back in making sure that it is firmly in place.

Better yet clean the contacts of the Video card before you reinsert it into your motherboard. You can just rub the contacts with an eraser.

It would also help you a lot if you would remember the BIOS beep codes, as it will save you alot of time diagnosing a probelem.

Hope this helps.

Regards.
Jaan
Does the screen show anything at all? can you get into bios?
let us know...
in the meantime, you should open up your case, and vacuum/dust everything, and replug everything...
cheers.
turbosquid
The beeps to which your are reffering are known as POST (Power On Self Test) error codes and are always hardware related.
Different motherboard/bios manufacturers use different codes so to be able to help you out we would need to know the make and the type of mother board you have in your machine.
I do not think it is a good idea to assume that it is a RAM or a GFX-Card problem unless 100% certain of which motherboard we are talking about.
If you can find out the make and type please post it and we may be able to help.

Never asume anything Smile

TurboSquid
swiftgeek
Bios update
bluestar
just try to boot from CD-Rom......
Saber
ok, so some people posted some useful tips and some others posted really stupid things. Anyways, thanks for the tips, I took some time looking at the parts and sure enough, there is corrosion IN the memory slots. I dont know how that would happen, but somehow it did.

So I'm just going to think of the computer as dead, save the power supply, hard drives, graphics card, and fans, the rest will become my scrap pile for random projects.

SO, unless you have something different to say than whats above, The problem is "solved" or I guess you could say scrapped.

-saber
bulek
Many times the reason for not-booting is dead RAM. If you have 2 or more RAMS put one out and boot your computer. If there will be no success, try to put RAM back to you computer and put another one out.
bambholebaba
Ok, it is a good thing that you found the cause of the problem. What is the age of your computer, is it very old or new one? If it is not too old (That seems to me as of your post) then it is not a good idea to think your computer as dead. You can try to remove the rust from there and reinstall the RAM to its place. Corosion is a problem related to the material of the RAM slot and the environment around your computer. Which motherboard you use. I am using two motherboards in my computers, ASUS (for 5 yrs) and INTEL(for 1 yr). Both of my systems are running properly and they have no problem from hardware side. I suggest you to replace your motherboard only.
andy26
try flashing your bios by finding these little small plastic clips with where metal prongs go into them there called jumpers try moving them around
andy26
try flashing your bios by finding these little small plastic clips with where metal prongs go into them there called jumpers try moving them around