FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Jostein Gaarder

hunterm
Anyone read Sophie's World?

Fantastic book about philosophy written from the point of view of a small girl. It's got a brilliant twist at the end.

Unfortunately the second book of Jostein's is chronic, dull and formulaic.
meet in rio
hunterm wrote:
Anyone read Sophie's World?

Fantastic book about philosophy written from the point of view of a small girl. It's got a brilliant twist at the end.

Unfortunately the second book of Jostein's is chronic, dull and formulaic.

Yeah, I read Sophie's World! I was quite young at the time, though, so I don't think I quite understood it. It'd be interesting to revisit it.
Shewolf
Sophie's World is a great book. One day I think I'll read it in English just for the fun of doing so. (Just read it in Norwgian, the original way)

His second book?
"The Children of (...some strange name..)"
"The Frog Castle"?
That's some of his earliest works of fiction anyway...

As I said; "Sophie's World" is a great book, but "Maya" is much better. especially if you have read the "The Solitaire Mystery", then you don't really know what to believe in the end. And it's wonderful Very Happy
And for anyone who just wants to read a beautiful book, I recomend "Through a Glass, Darkly", also a novel by Mr Gaarder.
thomas
An amazing book I think. Even tough i was quite young at the time to, it was a new world i discovered there, a world of philosophy. It was easy written and had a nice story I could follow so I didn't get bored. Now I've turned philosophy into a real hobby and all because of that book.
johanfh
I read the book years ago. And I remembered a lot of it. But at that time, I liked the story and the philosophy bored me a little. Later I re-read it and at that time I liked the philosophy part and the story bored me a little...
Wink

JohanFH