FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

How Did You Learn To Get Around The Web?

What was the very first website you visited?
MSN
11%
 11%  [ 4 ]
Yahoo
34%
 34%  [ 12 ]
Altavista
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Excite
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Lycos
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Others (Please specify)
48%
 48%  [ 17 ]
Total Votes : 35

nondormo
I first learned to get around the web from the I.E. homepage at MSN. From there, I got to know Yahoo which brought me to Geocities. Since I didn't know what to do with my free website (that was back in 2001 or 2002) I would go around visiting the websites that others have made. From one of the pages made by a Geocities freebie-er I got to learn of other websites as well (like Bravenet, 321Free, and a host of others). By the time 2002 ended I was already getting into the programmers' and web developers' area of the web.

So how about you, how did you learn to go around the WWW?
Loghete
I don't remember. I chose 'Others' because I'm pretty sure it wasn't one of those on the list.
meet in rio
I think it was probably Yahoo. And then some horse website directory called the 'Haynet'.
Josso
I'm pretty sure in 1997 when we got the internet I visited Google first.
odinstag
I first went to Webcrawler.com

That was so long ago. Back in the early 90's.
Vrythramax
My first website visited was actually the very first one using the (at then) new http protocal....monster.com...and I am not going to say what year Razz

Was looking for a job after college and thought it best to get in on the ground floor....and I'm still there Laughing
sodredge
Still a good one in my book John Dvorak's start site. What you would call a nice all in one site.

www.dvorak.org/home.htm
xyweb
i like http://www.theepochtimes.com/ , it's very good...
xyweb
i like www.theepochtimes.com, it's very good...
amusic
Mostly Yahoo. But google also.
saratdear
I think it was Yahoo mail. And google, too. Well, i got to the net before we got a comp at home, so I was basically very excited that i didnt really remember which website. But i am almost sure it was yahoo.
parokya
the first website i visited was Yahoo. I was in an internet cafe then since I didn't know where to start, I looked at the one seated right beside and saw that he was at www.yahoo.com so I typed it on the browser (I had to ask directions for that too). I was so ignorant then.

Nice topic. Thanks to the one who posted it.
Qube
Definitely Yahoo!
It was my school's homepage on pretty much every computer.
It wasn't later 'til I found the wonders of Google.
Nowadays I pretty much never use Yahoo!, MSN, or anyother SE.
But then again, now I have my own comp with a crapload of bookmarks.
Hurrah for evolution.
deltaworld
You young ones. I remember the days when the internet was young. That was back in February 1994. The first Internet browser was not available yet. I used to connect to the Internet through a 14.4Kbps modem through CompuServe as the ISP here in the U.K. CompuServe at the time had their own hosting servers and had their own chat rooms.

It was bloody expensive. I think we paid £25.00 per week plus you had to pay something like £0.25 a minute and the bill was absolutely extortionate.

Oh so the first page that I had visited on the internet must have been compuserve's home page, but that was not a browser as we know it now. The first browser I had installed on my machine at the time was Mozilla version 0.98 beta and I think the first page that I had visited must have been http://mozilla.com
seanooi
when i first started surfing the web i remembered visiting yahoo first. At that time i was on dial-up and everything loaded so slow that i eventually started giving up on the internet until broadband was introduced in my country. That's when i started to like internet and started mass downloadin stuff Laughing
Yazz
I have no idea what the first website I visited was... but it was most likely related to Dogz II. I was addicted to that game for at least a year when I was younger.
Shake
Uhh...? Learn to use the address bar?
crimson_aria
I believe it was Yahoo, if memory serves me right.
Rico
If my memory serves me I do believe it was Altavista, what a wonderful time when earth became a village. I learnt the web the way I learn most things, intuitively. You try stuff and see what happens. I know it’s not the most prudent approach and its cost me quite a few Rands (South African currency), but it’s an interesting way to live. Very Happy
Vrythramax
deltaworld wrote:
You young ones. I remember the days when the internet was young. That was back in February 1994. The first Internet browser was not available yet. I used to connect to the Internet through a 14.4Kbps modem through CompuServe as the ISP here in the U.K. CompuServe at the time had their own hosting servers and had their own chat rooms.

It was bloody expensive. I think we paid £25.00 per week plus you had to pay something like £0.25 a minute and the bill was absolutely extortionate.

Oh so the first page that I had visited on the internet must have been compuserve's home page, but that was not a browser as we know it now. The first browser I had installed on my machine at the time was Mozilla version 0.98 beta and I think the first page that I had visited must have been http://mozilla.com

Cool WELL SAID!! My first browser was Lynx, a text based one....Mozilla (Netscape) wasn't even available in a beta version yet. You must also remember the BBS system?

*note* hey Hobo, we ain't the only dinosaurs! Laughing
agentofdestructionmatt
i was really young and didn't know how to search so i'd just get websites off ads or product labels, sometimes just typing crap with .com on the end[/quote]
nox-Hand
I first started out on the web as a...five year old. Back then, a lot of companies thought they could make a monopoly inside the net, and close a lot off - anti net-neutrality. I think my first website was www.opasia.dk, wherefrom I went to small kiddie game sites my dad went to for me, as I couldn't read much, and knew not what else to do.

Now, I rarely surf anymore, I just go where I need to go, as I don't like doing all sorts of different stuff that's unneccesary, as I don't have time to do it with all the unneccesary stuff I do already Rolling Eyes

Anywho, Opasia is rather dead now, as far as I know? Danish company I think...

nox-Hand
the-geek
it was 97 when i first use the net. actually i used the net from a booth in the airport. i just had the prepaid card and used it although i didnt even know how to browse and all. the first opend page was yahoo.
HoboPelican
Vrythramax wrote:

*note* hey Hobo, we ain't the only dinosaurs! Laughing

Laughing Lynx!? I forgot all about text-based browsing...Quite a thrill back then, but pretty funny now. Makes you wonder where we will be 15 20 years from now.
CMA
Yahoo at first, then I sold my soul to Google.
Oh well, I didn't need it anyway... Laughing
SerendipityRose
When I first heard of email we couldn't even have that where I lived unless we wanted to make a long distance call to send and email to someone! We lived in a very small town in the country and the town that was only 20 minutes away and where they had internet was a long distance call. We didn't get internet until we moved to another state in the big city Very Happy and we signed up with AOL. That was utterly annoying so we soon signed up with our phone company. That was just a couple of years ago in 1997.
ftasyo
I was in an internet cafe when I first visted Excite. A lot of the folks with me had it on their browsers. I wonder whether that website is still existing. Hmmmm...
fpsaddict
Holy crap, this is an interesting topic!
I think my first site was Yahoo in ~1995?
I didn't know what to do with the internet and was using a 24KB connection, so I didn't really need the internet back then.
fooch
by far yahoo... ive moved onto google since then tho
Arnie
Some Dutch website for 10-14yos... I was 11 or so at the time. Went into the chatbox (one of those where everyone says they're 16) and met some people. Later got them on MSN and by then I got into some community (don't even remember about what).

Basically the stuff I now despise, and nobody can say that because I've never experienced it I don't know what I'm talking about...
monzoncf
Acutally, I've learned so much from the web since my 1st year high. I've been searching a lot because of some projects. And when the days and years have past, I'm so much acquainted with lot of stuff like the 3d Max and other software. I'm just search it on the web and read it carefully.
meetul
I dont remember actually, but I think it was yahoo
duckling
as I remember it was google but I'm not sure Rolling Eyes