FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Oblivion Graphics

Eyre
My computer has a Nvidia GeForce 6800, two gigs of RAM, and a good 4 Ghz processor. From what i could tell, my computer should've been able to run Oblivion on high settings. When i switch to high however, the game lags extremely bad. I have to run the game at low settings just to get rid of the lag. Is there a problem here, or is my computer just sucky at the moment?
TonkPilz
Eyre wrote:
My computer has a Nvidia GeForce 6800, two gigs of RAM, and a good 4 Ghz processor. From what i could tell, my computer should've been able to run Oblivion on high settings. When i switch to high however, the game lags extremely bad. I have to run the game at low settings just to get rid of the lag. Is there a problem here, or is my computer just sucky at the moment?

sound like ther is a problem ther try too get the latest drivers for eavry ting.
graphics, sound, mobo any ting you can get your hands on.
and try to turn vertical sync off (in game) if noting helps
eLto
Basically, the problem is in your GeForce6800. It's not powerful enough to run everything on high. The System requirements on the back of games these days mainly mean nothing. As long as your vga card is good, the machine will run it.

I'm running a 3.8GHz cpu, 1GB of ram and a GeForce7800GT. If I play on max settings, it lags. that's the way it is. The graphics in this game are seriously heavy, and not meant for older vga cards. you can surely play it on medium settings without much lag though.
7Pound7
Seems that this game is one of the first examples in many years that the hardware is being pushed too much again by the software. I remember the days in which I was saving money to place another 4 megs of ram into my 468 machine in order to be able to play the latest game. With the abundance of memory available these days and the cheapness of it I seriously thought that software would stay behind the hardware. Oblivion changed this apparantly and I heard of another bunch of games that do the same thing.
With windows vista coming up next year this problem will get bigger even, since the platform uses up lots of memory etc.

any comments?

7Pound7
fpsaddict
Well my computer specs are WAY lower than yours, and I can run it all on high with 4x anti-aliasing.
You should try cleaning up your pc and getting the latest drivers.
eLto
Everyone can run a game on high graphics, as long as they tune down the resolution.

Another "great" example of pushing the hardware too much is "Tomb Raider: Legends". I played it for... I don't know, an hour perhaps? Even with the graphics set to minimum, the game kept on lagging like hell. Some games are simply "too good" for the hardware, even if the hardware is top notch.

I haven't seen a single computer running TRL lagless, which is sad, really, since I really like the TR series. My trusty old PS2 works great with it though, even though it's without next-gen graphics, it's still damn cool.
z054301
Quote:
Eyre wrote
My computer has a Nvidia GeForce 6800, two gigs of RAM, and a good 4 Ghz processor. From what i could tell, my computer should've been able to run Oblivion on high settings

Quote:
eLto
Everyone can run a game on high graphics, as long as they tune down the resolution

That is absolutely true. But with those specs I would expect that you should be able to run it at close, if not at high, to the max settings. I don't know what res you are using, but I'd stick to 1024x796 and it should be fine
Kelcey
Eyre wrote:

I noticed the draw distance had a huge impact in performance... my computer isn't the best but I can play everything at "high" if I tone done the draw distance to something very low Sad It make sense Razz
TonkPilz
I'm running the game on a ATI x800xt, amd 64 3200+, 1.5 gig ram and winxp
in whit a rez of 1024 whit almost all settings max.

But i turn vertical sync off whit it on the game moves slowly and choppy whit it off it works fine just a Little vertical lag but i can live whit that and i turn off bloom just coz i hate the effects and i use AA x2

plus im useing a graphics pack (mod) that makes allot of stuff look better but doesn't use as much of the system as the old ones did
Howie
im running a shitty 6200 256mb card and a 3.2ghz with one gb ram and it runs fine in the middle range graphics, but when your boost the oblivion graphics up it slows down...
photon
unfortunately my 1gig ram and 9800pro cannot handle the graphics of oblivion Sad though i can run it at ultra low settings, no point in doing that cause the game is know for its awesome graphics! so i guess i have to be satifsfied with screenies Razz