FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Blocking out proxies

SpellcasterDX
I searched and couldn't find anything, so: How do I block out proxy sites? For example, I want to block out vtunnel.com, a proxy site so that banned/IP Banned users can't get around the IP Ban by using the proxy to come to the forums again and keep posting. I think blocking out proxies has to do with the htaccess file, but I'm not sure what I'm supposed to put in it to block out specific sites. (I don't want to just block vtunnel.com, I want to block all known proxy sites from accessing my forums) So, what do I have do/code/put in order to block out proxy sites?
Bondings
You need to get a list of ips of the most-used proxies on the internet. I'm sure there are some daily updated lists available somewhere on the internet. But it's not that easy that you can just block all proxies. Wink
SpellcasterDX
Well, I meant block out the most commonly used proxies. And as people start using new proxies, I'll start blocking the new proxies and try to keep the block list up to date with the most popular/most widely used proxies. Laughing

Uh, do you have any idea where I can get such a list, Bondings?
jeremyyak
Proxies don't have referring urls or all kinds of other spiffy info that a normal connection would supply. After all, a proxy is used to be anonymous, that kind of info is normally removed.

Theoretically, if any of those values were blank, then it is ethier a proxy or a fresh connection. Just force them to visit an intro page before visiting the site to prove they are on a normal connection, if any of the values are blank from there then refuse the connection.

I'm not sure how well it would work, I just thought of it while I read your message.

If you ever do find a way, please share :p
I was wanting soothing similar to this as well Very Happy
~Jeremy~
SpellcasterDX
I mostly want it for my boards/forums so users can't circumvent bans and permabans by using proxies. So, having a redirect option would be annoying and not a really good option. Is there another way to block out/filters proxies besides a redirect page? Like with .htaccess? (That's how I thought I could do it, at first)
billybob
SpellcasterDX wrote:
I mostly want it for my boards/forums so users can't circumvent bans and permabans by using proxies. So, having a redirect option would be annoying and not a really good option. Is there another way to block out/filters proxies besides a redirect page? Like with .htaccess? (That's how I thought I could do it, at first)

you just need to find the ip's of the proxys and ban them indavidually or if like bondings says theres a list of the most popular proxys that would be a good place to start...
Bockman
SpellcasterDX wrote:
Is there another way to block out/filters proxies besides a redirect page? Like with .htaccess? (That's how I thought I could do it, at first)

From my searches I found out that, to block on .htaccess you need to add these lines:

Code:
Place the following inside (replace the IP numbers with the proxies IP) on .htaccess :

Order Deny,Allow
Deny from 275.8.6.7
Deny from 285.9.0.0/255.255.0.0

You may also use this app to build your proxy IP lists:

http://fpl.my-proxy.com/index.php

hope that helps.

Be Well Cool
SpellcasterDX
Bockman wrote:
SpellcasterDX wrote:
Is there another way to block out/filters proxies besides a redirect page? Like with .htaccess? (That's how I thought I could do it, at first)

From my searches I found out that, to block on .htaccess you need to add these lines:

Code:
Place the following inside (replace the IP numbers with the proxies IP) on .htaccess :

Order Deny,Allow
Deny from 275.8.6.7
Deny from 285.9.0.0/255.255.0.0

You may also use this app to build your proxy IP lists:

http://fpl.my-proxy.com/index.php

hope that helps.

Be Well Cool

Thanks! That helped considerably! Very Happy