FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Websense and what you think about it

Sarinoff
My school has websense, but, my friends know a way around it and stuff so it doesnt really bother me. What does bother me though, is the fact that it not only blocks educational sites but some sites that have no reason to be blocked are blocked. In my personal opinion i think that if the schools want to block sites they should use a different program instead of being lazy and using a program that blocks sites with certain words in it.

What do you think?
jipmerite
Most such software are not perfect. But it is one step towards censuring internet. You did not name the one being used. Maybe they are using a free one and should move to a paid one which would be better at it's job.
schudder
Jup, there are a looooot of programs that really don't do a good job at ALL.

I mean, if you have a site called lessexperience.com (yeah, just something totally random), then a lot of these programs will block it, cause it has the "sex" combination of letters in it.

If they really want to censor the web (which I am totally against), then they should just move on to a program that works better. Perhaps one that uses really really long lists of known "dangerous" sites. Some do it that way you know.
dude_xyx
its not very successful way stop kids or anyone going to bad site by blocking words. there are always loop holes and u have find a way.
Josso
Yeah, sometimes they can be a pain but no peice of code designed to block material is going to be perfect ever.

The school have managed to block my website manually quite a few times I do beleive but I've always found a way around that.
Droop
Sarinoff wrote:
My school has websense, but, my friends know a way around it and stuff so it doesnt really bother me. What does bother me though, is the fact that it not only blocks educational sites but some sites that have no reason to be blocked are blocked. In my personal opinion i think that if the schools want to block sites they should use a different program instead of being lazy and using a program that blocks sites with certain words in it.

What do you think?

Maybe you should talk to a teacher or even the principal about unblocking some of those sites that u feel u need access too. If u make a list and give a reason as to why u you would use and need it etc. they just may make it accessible . . .
Josso
Droop wrote:
Sarinoff wrote:

What do you think?

Maybe you should talk to a teacher or even the principal about unblocking some of those sites that u feel u need access too. If u make a list and give a reason as to why u you would use and need it etc. they just may make it accessible . . .

Oh yeah that's also a good idea, they have full admin control of these programs and if there are specific websites you need access to at school ask whoever runs your IT department.
Seann
they do this whole word censoring based on words in the site cause it'll take too long to block every site manualy

plus new websites appear all the time so its best safe than sorry
if you need a website you should do what josso said...
its not hard