FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Downtime

hostingguy
Hello,
Im hosted at server 2 but every 30 seconds the server is down Crying or Very sad
what is happening Embarassed ?
briancoit
same problem... getting pretty annoying Laughing
Bondings
I'm removing accounts from the server - hundreds of them - and every time Apache restarts causing downtime. My apologies, but there isn't much I can about it.

I'm almost finished for today, though. Very Happy
scotty
Just out of curiosity how many accounts are there on the server?
Bondings
scotty wrote:
Just out of curiosity how many accounts are there on the server?

I tried to keep those numbers private, all I can say is that it is definately above 1000.

The people I am currently removing are really inactive ones, it is they never (or just once/twice) posted after getting their hosting account.
Firebolt
I still got some downtime on my site, are you still deleting accounts?
Bondings
Firebolt wrote:
I still got some downtime on my site, are you still deleting accounts?

Yes I was indeed busy with it at the time you posted for like 50 minutes. I am still planning to remove a few hundred during the next few days which will take 1-2 hours or a bit more.
Bockman
This also means you will have a more stable server in the future (less used) and when downtimes occur (they DO happen unnexpectedly once in a while) Bondings may sort it quicker since he needs to go through less effort to find the problem (wich normaly resides on some user account).

All in all... this is better in the long run.

Be Well Cool
Marston
Should the server really be restarting every time you do that?
Animal
Marston wrote:

It's designed to do that to maintain stability. If it doesn't restart automatically, it's highly likely to crash, leading to much longer downtime since it may need to be restarted manually.
Bondings
Marston wrote:

If I'm not mistaken the website path and other details are loaded in memory when Apache starts. Everytime the configuration changes it needs to restart I guess to avoid errors.
SpellcasterDX
Marston wrote:

It restarts to prevent crashing.
Chris24
boooo, I needed to do some editing..... Wink will you post when you are finished in the next few days?
Chris24
Just checking, I haven't been able to view my site all day and it is still not viewable at 1 a.m. est. Does anyone know what is going on? I don't think my account was deleted I can still access FTP.

And no I didn't change anything that would cause this
Bondings
Chris24 wrote:
Just checking, I haven't been able to view my site all day and it is still not viewable at 1 a.m. est. Does anyone know what is going on? I don't think my account was deleted I can still access FTP.

And no I didn't change anything that would cause this

http://ocs.frih.net/ seems to be working fine. Are you sure you were accessing the correct url? Otherwise it might have been some network problem between you and the server.
dwcnps
Can you tell us the approximate date of when you will be finished, because we're about to change editors for a while and I need to know when I can hand over the files without the new editor getting annoyed because he can't publish any of the files I gave him.

Thankyou...
Bondings
dwcnps wrote:
Can you tell us the approximate date of when you will be finished, because we're about to change editors for a while and I need to know when I can hand over the files without the new editor getting annoyed because he can't publish any of the files I gave him.

Thankyou...

I'm planning to remove quite some accounts during the next few days, but it won't take long (maybe 1-2 hours in total) and during the removal, there will be problems with reaching the websites - but definately not a complete downtime (more like 25% of the time not reachable). I wouldn't be too worried about it, you most likely won't even notice it.
This is needed for the server and will make it faster and have less downtime.
Marston
SpellcasterDX wrote:
Marston wrote:

Yes, I'm aware of that. I was asking if that's normal behaviour for a server. (I don't believe that it is)
SpellcasterDX
Marston wrote:
SpellcasterDX wrote:
Marston wrote:

Yes, I'm aware of that. I was asking if that's normal behaviour for a server. (I don't believe that it is)

Probably not, though for Server 2 it is.
shoes22
So as soon as all the inactive accounts are deleted we won't have the downtime anymore?
Bockman
As explained in other posts, the Apache server (not the whole server, and that's why you have FTP access and no http access during those periods) restarts everytime a change is made on accounts. This means that Apache will restar everytime a account is deleted/created/recreated.

I know it's not good news, but it's the way it is... there's not much we can do about it.

Be Well Cool
shoes22
But I have gotten downtime at least once every hour of the day...are there that many account changes?
SpellcasterDX
shoes22 wrote:
But I have gotten downtime at least once every hour of the day...are there that many account changes?

Well, Bockman did say the dowtime happens every time an account is created, deleted, and recreated, so that means there'll be a lot of downtime. Sad
Animal
shoes22 wrote:

Apache is restarted once every hour which may cause a few moments of your site being unreachable.
Marston
Is there not like... a permanent fix for this restarting nonsense, assuming that it's not normal server behaviour? I think people would be cool with server 2 going offline for like a few hours or whatever if this problem could be fixed permanently.
brandonberg
as he said, hes doing maintainance on the server and this is what is causeing the downtime/restarts.. its all neary (if not already) finished and even if its still goin then he will be finished soon. Therefore this will get rid of most of the problem and for the other times.. they would be small enough to not be noticible really.
orcaz
i can understand that the admin needs the restarts to remove inactive accounts. however, i feel that the admin can allocate a certain time of the day to have the server pulled off to remove accounts, so that ppl would not be shocked and frustrated when not able to visit their site. (like prolly allocate 1 p.m. everyday for such stuff and tell the frihosters?)
brandonberg
apparently its only small resets that are hardly noticable.. therfore they probably think its a pain to do this.. as Bondings said anyway.. they are nearly done.. give it a day or two.