FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

My Personal Web Site - especially on the Japan trip

shenyl
This is my personal web site, using basic Web design concepts, of simple color schemes, 3 clicks to anywhere in the site, steps taken to prevent long download time (full pages are broken into smaller pages).

Framesets are used to improve navigation.

Please bear in mind, I am using this to illustrate basic web design concepts. Your comments can help me to improve on it.

Sorry forgot to put the url:

http://shenyl.frih.net
aningbo
Code:
Lecturer, System Engineer, IT Manager, IT Consultant, Software Project Manager, System Analyst, Programmer.

wow. thats a lot of work!! its rather an interesting site. btw, i like the pictures. wish i could have thumbnails to save it.
shenyl
Thank you for your appreciation of my site.

You can freely save any or all of those pictures, 400 x 300 pixels.

Some are elongated (wide angled/stitched views).

You can use faststone resizer to scale them further.

It is a freeware available in www.webattack.com.

Hope this help.
bjwok
i got a server error, page not found... FYI
shenyl
Good day bjwok, will appreciate a clear indication of
the location, where you encounter the "page not found error".

E.g. Japan2006 > Hakone > etc.

I have checked the site, and need your help to rectify this.

Thank you for your comment.
GB
Website worked for me. It loaded very quickly and was neat to see the photos from your trip and your family.

Only thing I'd change would be to replace the frames with either tables or, preferably, CSS.

Keep up the good work.
bjwok
hi guys, nah it must have been a temporary thing, as it works fine now!

nice pics in your site champ, looks like you have seen some amazing places!

cheers!
Kyoushu
The site is nice. I like the photo album alot but I don't like the design at all. Atleast it's easy to navigate which is really all you need. Overall you got a nice little site there. Very Happy
shenyl
Feedback from GB, agreed that the frameset, may be of some issues to some.

I was using this site to teach my students on basic web design, which include frameset and frames.

Feedback from Bjwok, good that the temp access has been resolved, and thanks for the appreciation.

Feedback from Kyoushu, agreed that the design is not ideal, will try
to put up a better site design (if time permits).

I will be experimenting with JS for a new menu design, but will
probably takes awhile before I can publish it.

Thanks for all the feedbacks.
shenyl
I joined another thread on sites been crawled thru by Google crawler or spider, and it was great to hear how others managed to get their sites indexed in Google.

I also tried to submit this primitive personal web site to Google,
but so far has not attracted the Google spider yet.

Then I tried on AltaVista (this is before there is Google - 1996).
Submitted my url to AltaVista - and you know what after just 3 days the AltaVista spider has crawled my site and the Indexer program has indexed some of my web pages.

I confirmed this with search site:shenyl.frih.net

Then I tried search words +shenyl +Japan

If you are interested in submitting your site to be indexed, you can also try AltaVista or others while waiting for google bolt/spider.

Thank to all who have feedback and visited my site.
Matte52
Nice site!!

very well done

Best regards
Matte52
shenyl
Thank you Matte52, for your time to look at the site.

Your comment definitely encourage me to put more time to
improve on the site.

With best regards.
shenyl
I was reminded to follow the existing Topic. Sorry, I was having difficulty finding the topic, resulting in creation of a new one. Will keep it in mind.

Please review the updated site with inclusion of Javascript for rollover effect on buttons (actually they are table rows).

One feedback points to a good template site.

Look forward to some comments.
shenyl
Hello, some major revamp, have taken place, please give your feedbacks, have included animated gif to backgrounds (Home and Contact Pages), Multiple rollover effects in Japan 2006 and Home Page, created new buttons in Home page.

my site is at http://shenyl.frih.net

With regards.
jobu
hey not sure if its just me but the menu buttons up top for navigation arent working in firefox. thought i would let you know
shenyl
jobu, thank you for your comment.

I tried using firefox and IE to access my site http://shenyl.frih.net and both browsers supported the javascript table buttons.

Can you check your browser -> Help -> About Mozilla Firefox and see what version are you running?

I check using Mozilla Firefox version 1.5.0.8. Let me know please.

Once again thanks for notifying about this compatibility issue.

With regards.
Insanity
I would advise you if you want a more professional looking site to get a color theme or something going. Everything sorta clashes.
shenyl
Agreed, that there seem to have inconsistency of color (Blue and differing shades of blue in graphic and heading background, and different color schemes for Personal, Japan2006 and Home page/Contact).

Is there any precise advice I can have?

Will continue to work on the color scheme (My initial plan was for differing color scheme for each sub-section - Home/Contact, Personal and Japan2006), but they seem to cause some problem with my fixed Top Navigation Frame background color.

I am still inclined to use frameset, but may have to forego the differing color schemes for each subsections.

Thank you, and hope to squeeze out some precise feedbacks.
shenyl
Agreed, that there seem to have inconsistency of color (Blue and differing shades of blue in graphic and heading background, and different color schemes for Personal, Japan2006 and Home page/Contact).

Is there any precise advice I can have?

Will continue to work on the color scheme (My initial plan was for differing color scheme for each sub-section - Home/Contact, Personal and Japan2006), but they seem to cause some problem with my fixed Top Navigation Frame background color.

I am still inclined to use frameset, but may have to forego the differing color schemes for each subsections.

Thank you, and hope to squeeze out some precise feedbacks.
Jaan
hey, you seem like a really cool and smart guy.
Your website content is excellent, but the design is very basic. If you have time, I suggest learning PHP or CSS or something of that sorts. If you don't have time, then I suggest using a CMS like Joomla (my site runs on it - xebranliks.com). They are very customizable, you can make your own templates and stuff.
Good luck man!
shenyl
Jaan thanks for the comment and I have visited your site and also followed the link on your site to Joomla. It seem I have to install the Php and content on the server to start using them.

Indeed your site looks professional, and a very interesting wheelchair tank.

Will have to explore this option and if I could do likewise on Frihost site.

Thank you, will try when time permits.

Agreed, the design is basic, as I was actually using this as a teaching site for basic web design, but as time progress, I realised the need to ramp it up, but unfortunately lack time and efforts.

With best regards.
shenyl
With comment on consistency of the use of color, I have tried another attempt to create a consistent color scheme for each sub-section.

Now the header frame, submenuframe and content frame will adopt a consistent color. Home/Contact will use the light green, Personal will use a light blue, and Japan 2006, remains at pink.

Don't forget to try out the many rollover effect on the Home page and Japan2006 home page. Several images will change onmouseover the text and icons on the content page.

It still maintain the simplicity style, as the purpose is for basic web design, will find time to create another site for a more professional appeal.

Hope for more specific comments that I can implement.
shenyl
Hello every Frihoster members, I have just put the final touches to my Personal web site. I will be too busy for the next few months to do any serious update on the site.

But all your comments are still appreciated, in fact, all the changes done in this final version is hugely based on your feedbacks.

Please comment on my final 2006 till early 2007 version.

http://shenyl.frih.net

Wish you all a joyous Christmas, just like the first Christmas, where the shepherds found the joy of their glorious finding.

And a peaceful New Year.