FRIHOST ē FORUMS ē SEARCH ē FAQ ē TOS ē BLOGS ē COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Teenager addicted to WoW; plays for 16 hours per day

Daniel15
Did anyone hear about this? Recently, on the television show 'A Current Affair' here in Melbourne, they showed an article about a kid who is addicted to World of Warcraft. He plays the game for 16 hours per day, and even dropped out of school so that he could play the game more!

You may see the newsreport on Youtube here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8hfK3RQs2g&eurl=

What do you think? Are video games really affecting children this much? I personally don't play games like World of Warcraft, so I have no idea what the game's like
Keran
I think he is quite a pro in WoW... He must have pwned most ppl...
RT Cunningham
Online gaming is a serious addiction in many places. In South Korea, many young people (teenagers and up) have been known to skip meals, sleep, and bathing just to continue playing. I've seen similar things happening at Internet cafes here in the Philippines.
yy1124
I did skip work once or twice for WOW...but 16 hours a day are too much~
scotty
A never ending game, now that is cruel.
Firebolt
Yea i play WoW and i must say i can be addictive if you dont watch what your doing. a big reason is because of the 40 man raids. basicly 40 people get together and fight stuff for hours straight and if you leave of leave your keyboard for a while you become hated by people.
Soulfire
Quote:
Are video games really affecting children this much?

One child is addicted to WoW and suddenly video games are addicting to every child.

Of course this isn't good - but him being addicted doesn't mean the game is unsafe or bad. One parent tried to sue Blizzard after their child committed suicide after playing WoW for 36 straight hours. The parents assumed that it was entirely the games fault - I do not know the outcome of the suit, but there are so many forces at work on a child, it's hard to say that WoW is the one thing to blame (the kid did mention WoW in his suicide note).

Moreover, the kid's mom is crying about the child's addiction, yet she is paying for it. The kid has no job and doesn't attend school, and WoW (last I knew) was around $13 a month to play. It could be more now. So in reality, the mom is only feeding his addiction. Would she buy him crack or LSD if he was addicted? I think not.

I play online games, but the most time in a row I've ever spent on a game was 6 hours. I played from around 6 in the evening until just after midnight, not including breaks for dinner and family time (so in reality, it was 5 hours of gameplay).

It actually helps with the stress of games a lot if, around ever hour or so, you get up, stretch, get a drink, maybe step outside for a few minutes, and then continue playing.
xorcist
Soulfire wrote:
Quote:

One parent tried to sue Blizzard after their child committed suicide after playing WoW for 36 straight hours. The parents assumed that it was entirely the games fault - I do not know the outcome of the suit, but there are so many forces at work on a child, it's hard to say that WoW is the one thing to blame (the kid did mention WoW in his suicide note).

It actually helps with the stress of games a lot if, around ever hour or so, you get up, stretch, get a drink, maybe step outside for a few minutes, and then continue playing.

I think it should have been kind of the parent's fault what were they doing these 36 Hours and they didint get him to stop or tell him its time to take a break. They should spent some time with him or something. I get out of the house when I play Video games I go and play basketball or do something for a couple hours or more and then come back and play or whatever.
jonathan-soder
I really don't understand what makes them play so long and often like that, it's only a gam Confused
bigdan
16 hours per day? Shocked Geez, that's way too much...
generalgazz
I saw this video the other week.

First of all warcraft can hardly be described as a violent video game, not if you compare it to others such as grand theft auto or resident evil. I mean you go around as elves or whatever casting magical spells on mystical creatures, thats hardly violent.

Secondly his addiction is not really harmful, ok so he gets in the occasional bad mood prehaps and punches the wall etc - who hasn't done this about something before... your favourite football team lost, your girlfriend left you or you lost money on a bet. Its the same here.

The guys mother is almost crying because her son is addicted to a video game then imagine how she would react if he was addicted to crack cocaine instead.

What I am saying is that it really could be a lot worse and I don't think this kid has a major problem, his parents should look at the rest of the world and stop worrying.
haak_heu
yes games makes kids addict to them , and i have seen kids to skip meals , baths schools sleeps to reach the end of game or just this stage ....and they spend hours and hours this is not a good thing for there health but they are master in game and increase there brain's capability to respond fast , kids should be prevented to play for so many hours.
ahamed
16 hours in a game !!! .. that's too much and it's not good at well ...
yy1124
jonathan-soder wrote:
I really don't understand what makes them play so long and often like that, it's only a gam Confused

For me, is because I have friends...

One thing about online MMORPG is the more time you spend the faster you gain level...If you slow down, and your friends did not, you will be left behind. Thats why people like me try to spend as much time as possible to keep up...

ofcause, this is bad as well Twisted Evil
Kelvin
yep.. that is serious addiction. THink it was last year when i read of a man who died from playing too much online games. If i remember correctly it was in Korea/China. This poor soul spent 3 whole days at the internet cafe playing Starcraft. Only had light snacks and maybe a couple of winks.

When he stepped out of the cafe.. he collapsed and well, died.
Peterssidan
Lol if that kid is happy He is doing right but I don't think he is. Shocked The life is nothing that you should take care of. It's better in use. Playing is fun but I should never play that much. Not every day. Then I more likely jump from mount everest. Sad
indianinworld
Addiction is the worst thing that anyone can have. It is really bad that people get addicted to playing games.

It directly affects them and their future too.

In my personal opinion, Parents must take some special interests to protect their children from these types of Gaming Addiction.
Gundamxxg
lol i play wow, but there is no way that i could play for 16 hours a day, thats just absurd. talk about no life. he might want to go out and get some excerscise... well time to go play some more wow. Just kidding lol.
Daniel15
When I was watching that on TV, my dad said to me, "If you keep using your computer, you'll end up like that guy!" Razz. I'm not a person to become addicted to anything, so I thought that was just crazy Razz

Quote:
First of all warcraft can hardly be described as a violent video game, not if you compare it to others such as grand theft auto or resident evil.

Yeah, I was thinking about that, but I couldn't really say much (as I've never played it before)

Quote:
Moreover, the kid's mom is crying about the child's addiction, yet she is paying for it. The kid has no job and doesn't attend school, and WoW (last I knew) was around $13 a month to play.

He was paying for it using his Youth Allowence (welfare) payment
CyanEyed
Daniel15 wrote:

video games dont affect children. if they did, the adults of today would be running around in darkened room, listening to repetitive music, walking into walls and swallowing multi-coloured pills.

okayyyyy, i was wrong, i underestimated the power of pacman
bigdan
Daniel15 wrote:

I wonder how long before Centrelink cracks down on it. IIRC, don't you have to have worked for a bit before you're eligible for it?
Daniel15
bigdan wrote:
Daniel15 wrote:

I wonder how long before Centrelink cracks down on it. IIRC, don't you have to have worked for a bit before you're eligible for it?

I don't believe so... I get Youth Allowence, and I've never worked before Razz (my parents are relatively low-income though, so that may be it.)
runarl
Thats freaking awsome! I love WoW, its the most popular game ever:)
hofer
One day he will stop, no one stands playing the same MMORPG for more than 2 years. It gets really boring.
Soulfire
hofer wrote:
One day he will stop, no one stands playing the same MMORPG for more than 2 years. It gets really boring.
I've been playing RuneScape for around 5 years now, granted I take a couple months off here and there (I'm currently taking about 3 months off before I return to the game), so it's very likely he could go beyond 2 years, but probably not at 16 hours a day - sooner or later his body will win.
Kelvin
16 hours is still crazy. 24 hours in a day minus 7-8 hours sleep = playing for the whole day. Playing games can take up plenty of time but that is very bad for the health. Especially the eyes. And using his youth allowance to play? Geez... we don't even get unemployment benefits here.
imera
I donít play WoW, bot I do play other things that I am adicted to. I can say that it has affected my schoolwork. But Iím not that good at school anywhay so I donít think it would change if I didnít play it so much. What I donít like about adictions is that I forget my homework. I come to school and remember that I had to read fifty pages or do a two pages long essay, and I need good grades for entering university, ops, I hope I do enter.
eku53ru
I don't play WoW, but I know a few people who have dropped off the face of a few forums I frequent just because it's so addicting. I have my own game addictions, of course, but I don't think I've ever gone past ten hours a day on a game before. It's definitely affected my schoolwork, but it hasn't gotten to the point where I'm ready to drop out of school for the sake of playing it some more.

Sixteen hours is a tad bit too much; if you guess that the guy sleeps when he's not playing, he's not getting much accomplished in the real world. o_o;
andy26
i heard a couple who had just had a new born baby got addicted to WOW they was on it all the time left work missed sleep and meals and due to this the couples baby died of neglect coz the two people was playing WOW all the time.
Daniel15
andy26 wrote:
i heard a couple who had just had a new born baby got addicted to WOW they was on it all the time left work missed sleep and meals and due to this the couples baby died of neglect coz the two people was playing WOW all the time.

That's just horrible! I can't believe that parents would do that Sad. Do you have a link to a news article about this?
Ucbet
OMG, And I'm about to start playing WoW after my end of year exam Laughing

Hopefully I won't be that addicted. But the longest gaming streak I ever had was 8 hours straight and it was hell lots of pain. I got a headache after and I swear I won't play that long anymore Embarassed . Nowadays usually I played around 2 - 3 hours MAX.

But yeah, I have to say its a poor parenting by her for spoiling her kid by buying him prepaid cards. If I were the dad, I'll smack the hell out of him ! Twisted Evil
andy26
im not to sure if i have a link because this happend about 5 months ago now it was one of the first things i posted here on frihost i think but now theres a thread for it im reposting it in a suitable place but if i happen to come by a news artical i will. i think its sick that someone could actually get that adicted to a game and neglect there baby like that.
chrismen
I think this kid could be addicted to something else if WoW didn't exist. Who knows though. It is a sad story.
hoots123
They need to limit play to like 10 hours before it makes you log off. Or this kds parents need to help him, 16 hours per day you have no life at all. think how much this will effect him if he plays for about a year on there. online games are getting insane, sooo many people are getting addicted. and these companies are litterally RAKING in coin for years and years, think about ultima online still running still making millions per year for a game that only cost like 1 mill to make at most.
andy26
i totally agree with you they should limit it to a maximum of 10 hours a day for health and saftey reasons. games can do some bad things to people.
frihomsng
where I'm ready to drop out of school for the sake of playing it some more.
codegeek
16 hours per day is a lot. Moreover, it seems unlikely that any parent would continue to allow something like that on a regular basis. Are you sure this is not some cheap publicity?
crazyfffan
This reminds me of myself couples of years ago, when I sometimes allowed myself to spend 10~12 hours a day to play Final Fantasy. But for a short time only. I don't think I was addicted to that game anyway, because as soon as the game finished I would come back to my everyday routine as usual.
If you do something that intense for more than a week then you have a problem, if it is just for a couple of days, that means you're still young. Smile