FRIHOST ē FORUMS ē SEARCH ē FAQ ē TOS ē BLOGS ē COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


Do you smoke?






Do you smoke?
Yes
21%
 21%  [ 34 ]
No
78%
 78%  [ 123 ]
Total Votes : 157

Mrs Lycos
Do you smoke? If so, how many cigarettes a day? And one question attached to that is, how did you start smoking in the first place?
I would like to get some insights into this habit, and how people who smoke consider their habit.
ColdFire
I dont smoke. Its ok for men i think but i despise women who smoke.
Keran
No, i don't smoke, i would never torture my lungs and my physical condition by smoking.
quex
I wonder... does breathing in smoke from, say, burning pine wood do anywhere near as much damage as cigarettes? My neighbors up the hill make ink in charring hut, and the winds drive the smoke into the valley... it smells nice, and I only just now realized that it might be bad. Confused
Soulfire
quex wrote:
I wonder... does breathing in smoke from, say, burning pine wood do anywhere near as much damage as cigarettes? My neighbors up the hill make ink in charring hut, and the winds drive the smoke into the valley... it smells nice, and I only just now realized that it might be bad. Confused
I doubt it's as unhealthy (although it's not good to just sit there and breathe in smoke). As it travels, it has a chance to become much less concentrated, whereas when you smoke a cigarette, it is going directly into your body. I think you're fine.
carolinehjkim
I'm glad to see that I'm the 6th person to vote on this poll
and all the answers are no so far which is great......
I can understand why people keep smoking (I learned that it's addictive)
but I cannot understand why people start smoking.............
People! If you ever get chance to experience smoking at all,
don't ! just don't do it....It's really bad for you..............
ThornsOfSorrow
I don't smoke, but I might as well because the other 4 members of my band all smoke around me during every practice, as well as when we're just hanging out. I usually end up breathing in a lot of it second-hand just because I don't want to stay in a corner by myself when they're off smoking together and having a conversation. I don't mind when people smoke around me though; I'm going to die eventually anyway.
crimson_aria
I don't smoke and I don't dare to try. I don't like the smell.
.you.make.my.heart.happy.
No offense to those who smoke, but personally, I think smoking is absolutely disgusting! And its horrible for your health.

~nIkKi
secret_soul
I've grown up around people smoking so I don;t mind it much, but I've seen the effects it can have and I don't want to end up like that. Furthermore, it absolutely stinks.
em0o
no, i dont' smoke. I won't do things that will make me age and look old. I have tried it before, it's harsh on the throat. It is definitely not for me.
meet in rio
No.

Well, not really. It does get a bit depressing when everyone you're with goes outside to have a nice smoke and you're the only one left sitting guarding all their stuff.
Tumbleweed
I smoke spliffs.......does that count ??? Razz
benjmd
ColdFire wrote:
I dont smoke. Its ok for men i think but i despise women who smoke.


Um, no. It's not okay for anyone to smoke. Lung cancer isn't the old bad outcome. Before it gets to that point, people can develop emphysema and various respiratory difficulties along that spectrum. In addition, nicotine use leads to cardiovascular events including heart attacks and strokes. Man or woman, you should not smoke cigarettes.

Maybe you think, "eh, I don't care if I die at 70 instead of 80." The problem with that is four-fold: (1) Other people, like your family, might care a little bit. (2) Lung cancer can hit you at 40. Forty is a LOT younger than 80. (3) It's not like dying from a sudden accident. Cancer and emphysema are horrible diseases that erode your quality of life and make your last years miserable. (4) While you're slowly circling the drain, the rest of us have to pay for your medical care and all the other societal expenses that are inevitable required to support you.

People talk about peer pressure, but if someone thinks poorly of you because you don't want to die young, go through years of suffering and painful physical declination, or hurt your family and friends... well, that's not exactly a peer whose opinion I would give much merit.
Tvis
I used to smoke in university...

About 6 six years...before that I was a heavy sports freak. In university the sports made place for cigarets and beer...but I always said, that when I start working I will quit. Moreover it was a great way to relief the stress for exams, at least, that is how I felt it.

After university when I started working I wanted to sport again, gained some kilos, etc. But, my God, my condition was terrible!!! It shook me awake...I never wanted to touch a cigaret again. Now I am running since a long time, mountainbiking, skiing etc...and I love it! I notice that my condition is much better than friends among me. And I love to sport again. I won't go back to that stinking cigaret...
lepris
I smoke , my parents do that too. I have also noticed that we all have a great difficulty in quitting this addiction. Do you have similiar experinces with smoker coming from a smoking family having such problem ?

I come from Poland and to my mind the tendency is to quit, aspecially as the prices of cigarettes are rising constatly, while the quality is becoming poorer and poorer. I realise i should quit, partially because of financial and healht reasons, but on the other hand the less money I have, the more vision of non-smoking terrifies me.

Has any of you forced such weakness before and could give me some advice on it ?
blue77
I smoke two packs a day. I have tried to quit many times. My record is 4 monts. I'm from Bulgaria and the prices of cigaretes hire are very high for our standarts. It's not so terrifaing to stop smoking but you fill that something is missing. It can be hard for you becouse your family smoke to. The winter is the ideal time to stop smoking. If you have enough inner staingt you can try. Maybe I try to.
Vanilla
I used to. During a hard time of my life, it was the only thing that could keep me calm. But I don't talk to other smokers for them to quit. There is nothing more stupid than force your ideas to others. It's their choice, their lungs.
Eddyh
I voted "No"
I don't smoke, I don't wanna smoke..
mialynavahy
no I dont smoke, but i I can understand why people keep smoking, all of my friends smoke so i think it s very difficult to stop smoking
i feel very lucky, no cigarettes, a healthy life
Mrs Lycos
Vanilla wrote:
I used to. During a hard time of my life, it was the only thing that could keep me calm. But I don't talk to other smokers for them to quit. There is nothing more stupid than force your ideas to others. It's their choice, their lungs.


It's not their choice alone, it's not their lungs alone. Passive smoking can cause as much lung cancer as active smoking. It a question of self preservation if you ask people around you to quit smoking, or at least not do that when you're around.
I have a baby girl and just the thought of her brand new lungs being blackened by other people's smoke, really makes me mad.
crdowner
I do not smoke either. I have plenty of relative who do and I can always tell when they are around. The smell of smoke precedes them. I just hate it when a smoker comes in from a smoke and breathes in my space - yuke. I doubt they notice the smell but I certainly do.
JoseRizal
i do, but only on special occasions - like while drinking, working, or when i'm bored.
i guess that makes me a round-the-clock smoker, then Smile
djcaution
lol well it seems I'm of a minority, I smoke. It's stupid though, and sucks, and I'm trying to quit. A pack lasts me like a day and a half. I hate having one because I want to have a smoke all the time then just because they're there. The reason I started was cuz at my work there's absolutely nothing else to do on a break and smoking also has a good social aspect then.
urangkayo
i'm not smoke and do'nt want smoke
deinos
I smoked quite a lot for many years. Then gradually I no longer felt the need. Now I smoke occasionally (about once a fortnight)...if I go out for a few drinks...I never thought I would have the willpower to stop but now I think it's possible.
bulek
I don't smoke, I never was and I never will because I don't support smoking.
Winterborne
I don't smoke, and i'm very surprised at the % on the poll. 6 said yes and 25 said no so far... i mean.. wow...

ALL of my friends smoke except like.. one of them... So that really surprises me.

Of course they all say that they could quit anytime, but they never have been able to.
darvit
Winterborne wrote:
I don't smoke, and i'm very surprised at the % on the poll. 6 said yes and 25 said no so far... i mean.. wow...

ALL of my friends smoke except like.. one of them... So that really surprises me.

Of course they all say that they could quit anytime, but they never have been able to.


There is a possibility that people who actually smoke don't even want to vote on the poll to admit that they do. This is the internet, anyway... That's the problem with polls. Results aren't that much accurate.. but yeah, they're pretty good models/estimates sometimes.

Oh, and yeah, I don't smoke, too.

My grandfather died at around 50+. He started smoking at age 14.
<sarcasm>
Besides, I'd rather burn a bunch of dollar bills than smoke cigarettes... That way, I'm still burning money, but at the same time, minimizing damage to my lungs! Besides, seeing dollar bills burn seems like fun! Laughing
</sarcasm>
Tatsumaru
I don't smoke, waste of money and health. I have asthma anyway, so I shouldn't even think of smoking haha.

Fun fact: I have never even held a cigarette in my hand.
bambholebaba
Smoking is considered a lip lust, i.e. it does not create any physical dependance, but the lusts are very hard to leave. It is an old saying that to leave smoking (or, drinking ) is very easy, i left it several times !! But then I can tell u it is not so difficult !! Yes, I have been a smoker, but now I just can't tolerate the smell of tobaco smoke! Ask your self one simple question ' how I smoke when I know it's ill effects ?'' and the problem will be solved!!
GOOD LUCK SMOKERS, GIVE A TRIAL TO THE FRESH AIR!!!11111
Doublexx
you waste a lot of money on cigarettes
D'Artagnan
"i hate smoke... any kind of smoke at all..."

my dad smoked about 25 years and stopped...

today he have some pulmonar issues (cronical bronquit - dont know it in english), and i think he's lucky... almost 30years smoking and no cancer signas is a miracle ....
ashok
I doubt it's as unhealthy (although it's not good to just sit there and breathe in smoke). As it travels, it has a chance to become much less concentrated, whereas when you smoke a cigarette, it is going directly into your body. I think you're fine.
everyman
I don't smoke.

In my opinion smoking is one the idiotic thing to do. You lose your health, money, time and friends.

World would be better place without smokers!
nothingXelse
Yep. I grew up around it, I don't mind it, I could careless if it kills me. Plus my family has a long line of smokers and alchoholics and every one of them lived till at least 65.

I do it just because I enjoy it. Not because it cool or whatever I smoke for the sheer pleasure of it.
Ucbet
I voted no and I loved playing soccer soo much that I don't want to lose one of the most important asset on playing it, which is stamina. Have seen a lot of my friends give up soccer because they are smoking and doesn't have the pace anymore to keep up with the game.

So, I will say a big NO to smoking ! Maybe Social drinking is the only thing I do when I go to clubs etc but defnietely NO chance to SOCIAL SMOKING ! Twisted Evil
coozy
I don't smoke and i hate it. Evil or Very Mad
maclui
Quote:
I hate having one because I want to have a smoke all the time then just because they're there. The reason I started was cuz at my work there's absolutely nothing else to do on a break and smoking also has a good social aspect then.


That happens to me too, I dont buy packs of cigarretes because I tend to smoke them all at once. I strated at 17 because of the parties. Besides I like the smell. I smoke about 6 cigarretes a day-
the_mariska
bambholebaba wrote:
Smoking is considered a lip lust, i.e. it does not create any physical dependance, but the lusts are very hard to leave. It is an old saying that to leave smoking (or, drinking ) is very easy, i left it several times !!

Yeah, that's horribly easy, I gave it up about 4 times Very Happy But now, I'm very proud as it's been 3 months since I had a cigarette in my mouth, though it's very hard to resist everybody treating you a the parties. Keep your fingers crossed for me Smile
lalune
Can't stand the sight nor the smell of cigarettes! But strangely enough, the smell of cigars doens't put me off that much!!

Contradictory...
em0o
I don't smoke. I think it's a nasty habit. I know some people who do and they stink. Not only themselves but their rooms are saturated with a digusting stench. But whatever, to each his/her own the maker of their own decisions.
tuncay
Smoking is a very interesting matter, I do not understand its fit in the 21st century's context, where scientifically it's bad, and what's worse, one can even feel the harm him/herself.

One can see that, smoking has almost vanished in the USA and through Western Europe. The problem is mainly in Eastern Europe, Near and Middle East now, where almost 1/3 or even almost half of the population are smokers. I guess public awareness can be raised to a much higher level given enough time and resource for the subject matter.

Hope to live in a world without cigarettes (soon)..
Deenah
Yes I do smoke but I would say I'm a binge smoker, which is probably worse. I don't really smoke in the week when I'm working and if I do it's only 1 ciggie after work. Then the weekend comes and I go out for a few drinks with pals and that's when I can have a whole packet in one go. It's daft coz I never feel very good the next day.

I started when I was about 17 and met an old school pal who smoked. I smoked on and off but stopped when pregnant both times. Started again, then stopped for two years a while ago. Started again through boredom and now a binge smoker. Once a smoker always a smoker, IT'S BEST NOT TO START. Wish I hadn't.
kelebrity
I'm not sure i agree with the theory that if I don't smoke, but I might as well because the other 4 members of my band all smoke around me during every practice, as well as when we're just hanging out. I usually end up breathing in a lot of it second-hand just because I don't want to stay in a corner by myself when they're off smoking together and having a conversation. I don't mind when people smoke around me though; I'm going to die eventually anyway.
Serafina
It's absolutely true that smokers do the most damage to their own lungs, however it doesn't just decrease their value of life, it decreases others as well.

Has anyone who doesn't smoke sat in the smoking section of an airplane? It is absolutely MISERABLE. The smell sinks into everything in that part of the plane. You almost cannot breathe. I think it's good that smoking sections are separated from the non-smoking sections.

Secondhand smoke can also do a lot of damage.
freecitizen
Yes, I do. 10 or so?

I started because it made me feel closer to someone that left that I really missed.
androjuni
i don't. but i have housemates who smoke a lot. and i consistently discourage them from smoking.

there is a study that it is physically unhealthy. lungs of the dead that smoked when compared to the dead that didn't, boy, wahta difference! those lung are color black! even green. and smoking makes your hands deformed, and your lips and teeth darker. it even makes you and your house smell. who would want that. some of my housemates smoke because they say it "calms" them. but i think that being hazardous to health it realy gives you more to worry about than calming you.

for me it is also socialy unhealthy. a lot of people doesn't like the smell and even more the smoke. it has a repelling effect socialy.

its advisable to smoke privately so that you are not a hazard to the health of others. some people have alergic reactions you know.
DopeyCriz
I smoke.

If there's non smokers around, I walk away to where people can't get second handed smoke from me.

I think if people smoke, it is vital that they respect the others.
XC_comp
I smoke...I am in university and being around people that smoke as well as going out to the bars a lot seems to have brought it about. I am an avid dirt bike racer and never saw myself smoking before it happened. Terrible habit in my opinion but I definitly dont think anything bad about those that do. I plan on quiting soon and have more understanding of how hard it is to quit now!
Soulfire
Smoking is a huge turnoff for me. It smells nasty - I couldn't imagine kissing a smoker. It makes me sick thinking about it. Why would pay to kill yourself? Because that is literally what you are doing. Paying thousands of dollars a year to put yourself to a slow, black death.

Isn't it like every cigarette you smoke takes off 7 minutes of your life?
fralaviola
I don't smoke and at my school there is a sort of association to propagand that it's better don't smoking for respect of the other students.
marcmgeronimo
I don't smoke, not because I am a health buff, but because it triggers my sinusitis.
c9crystal
xxx
ashok
People despise smoking by women... is it justified?
MYP415
I don't smoke because it is bad in so many ways.
Archetype
I don't smoke anymore, or drink caffeine for that matter. I had a bad anxiety attack at work a while back, and went to the doctor's, and wouldn't you know it, I was diagnosed with acute anxiety. The first thing I did was get rid of the tobacco, and caffeine. I haven't had a hard time at all, probably because I knew how bad it was for me in the first place. I wish I had never taken it up in the first place, as it's probably taken a few years off of my life.

Oh well, all's good these days.
Qualla
I don't smoke, I have helped many people stop smoking. Success only ocurs when one is truly motivated to stop and has made that decision on their own. Tobacco is not a health food it does nothing good for our health and may cause a brief period of relaxation but then demands another dose be taken to stimulate the same cycle. Just think about where we got all those cigarettes and how many would have been produced if the marketing - media business had not created the need? for cigarettes. I am glad to see the numbers on this poll. I think it shows that more people are actually thinking about their health and making informed decisions about their actions.
vinx_18
No... Simply because it is bad to my health and everybody's health. I wonder why people still smoke even if they know that it is bad or they have been warned (Government warning:...). If it is bad to our health... why it still exist? My answer would be tobacco company owners and their constituents would not profit anymore. Smile
urangkayo
i don't smoke coz it waste my time, my money, my health. I never smoke.

i think smoke is stupid coz you can broke your heart, your health.
k10000s
I don't smoke. I have never smoked because I hate the loud-smelling of smoke. When someone smoke near me, I keep away from them.
jeanoradean
Of course I don't smoke.....it's the most stupid thing to do: it's uncool, costs loads of money, stinks and destroys your health. How can anybody even consider it?
bulek
I don't smoke because it's very unhealthy and risky to get a illness of lungs. Cigarettes are also very expensive so I rather buy something more useful than smoke.
But I support that people smokes because countries gets a lot of money because cigarettes. Smile
myworld
I don't smoke, never have done nor never ever will do. My mother died at 57 because she smoked. no not lung cancer but copd, which is chronic obstructive pulminary diesease, which is really chronic bronchitis or emphesema. It doesn't matter which as both result in the same outcome a grisly death.

For those that know grandfathers or mothers who smoked all their lives all I can say is lucky them. Unfortunately the statistics prove that if you smoke you will die younger and that can be as a result of any number of conditions but that makes no difference if you are on Sadam slab ie dead as a doe doe.
outofnicks
I guess I'm another one of those miracles, 53 yrs old and smoked for 35 years--almost all of it non-filter. I rolled my own for the most part.
Last spring I got pretty sick with a flu and felt like I was going to die--I probably would have if I hadn't quit the habit.
9 months now, without tobacco and I don't miss it one bit. I'm not very much bothered by other people smoking around me, except for the fact that they are jeopardizing their health (and others around them of course). I mean, it doesn't gross me out.
dac_nip
Nope. but i plan to. hehe.
whitewhisper
I used to smoke ,alot ,i got upto 2 packs of cigaretes a day,and when i smoked i couldn't see myself not smoking, i just didn't have that image in my head without a cigarete, and now i can't see myself smoking, from this mountain ("the non smoking one") i don't have that image anymore ,me and a cigarete puffing away wasting my lungs.

i think life is more beautifull without a cigarete ,i know there are million other things that ruin our lifes.
but what can i tell you , if you do than cut it out ,breathing fresh air it like drinking from fountain of youth.
justinelovesyou
I smoke socially. It works for me.
My parents say that it's impossible to smoke socially only, that one day I'll become addicted for real. But it's been more than 2 years and I'm still a social smoker and nothing else and I never had a craving for a cigarette in a non-social situation.

(and by social I mean at bars, parties etc. but NEVER alone)
SGbilder
Mrs Lycos wrote:
Do you smoke? If so, how many cigarettes a day? And one question attached to that is, how did you start smoking in the first place?
I would like to get some insights into this habit, and how people who smoke consider their habit.


Haven't had a fag in four or five years. The best damn thing i've ever done to stop smoking.. But still, I kind of miss smoking sometimes, like when I'm having an exam i uni and stuff like that. I smoked for ten years so I guess it is hard to find new ways dealing with things like that..
eldon_r
jeanoradean wrote:
Of course I don't smoke.....it's the most stupid thing to do: it's uncool, costs loads of money, stinks and destroys your health. How can anybody even consider it?

I don't smoke either, and would never consider it. But it was considered cool once in the Western world. Was that a spot of clever marketing or what?!

From my own observations, I think I can quite reasonably conclude that anyone who smokes nowadays is doing it because of:
    1. Peer pressure (get some better peers, guys!)
    2. Family pressure (not so much you can do about that - drats!)
    3. Other personal problems (usually lots you can do about it but takes lots of guts and plenty of emotional support)

So I do have some sympathy for smokers, even if I've got them all wrong Smile.

I do hate having to doge around smokers to protect my health; they often seem to be in a world of their own, not thinking they could possibly be affecting anyone else. I mean, gathering just outside a door because they're not allowed to smoke indoors - that is so not abiding by the spirit of the law, and so not considerate of others. That's partly why I have this image of smoking as an effect of some sort of problem.

Mind you, while I'm down on smoking as an outlet for personal problems, I ain't without my own problems and some associated forms of addictions Embarassed. I just haven't fallen for the obvious stereotypical unhealthy ones like smoking! Wink
Alias
I don't smoke and I don't have any plan to do it. I know it's bad to our health.

I wonder why those other people keep smoking even if they know that it will cause many illness on their body.

(Government Warning) Cigarette smoking is dangerous to your health. Idea
lerian
I do smoke. I smoke more than 20 cigarettes each day. Actually I'm smoking while typing this post. I tried many times to quit smoking but..... yeah, you know the rest of the story. I know it's not good. I'll be very happy if I can stop it, being a slave of cigarettes is not a nice experiences. If you don't smoke, NEVER TRY!!!
jobu
Started at age 12 quit last year at age 31. Quit a year here and there in life before my final quit.

Its a shit habit. Dirty stinky and adictive as hell.

Really happy to be off it now and work out alot to compensate and stay off it.
tingkagol
started when i was 19. i'm 25 now and still smoking.

the urge of smoking when you're alone is unbearable.

but i'm working on quiting. at least.
charysteos
i'm 16 and don't smoke. And proud of it Wink
lady_yavanna
im 20 and neva smoked, but wud like 2 c wot its like, even if its just 2 prove im not as angelic as wot most ppl think i am. i no thats really lame reason 2 try it, but im curious more than anythin. my elder bro has tried it and hes not addicted...doesnt smoke AT ALL. dont worry, theres no way im gettin addicted 2 it Wink Very Happy
gluingquarters
ColdFire wrote:
I dont smoke. Its ok for men i think but i despise women who smoke.


You've got to be kidding me, right? that's the definition of a double-standard. But that's okay--with that attitude, women who smoke probably despise you right back.


As for the questions, I smoke less than a pack a day. I got started by the usual peer pressure, although it was backwards--I made a JOKING comment that I should start smoking (referring to the fact that suddenly, everyone in my life seemed to be a smoker) and my roommate made me smoke one down to the filter. Could I have said no? Sure. But my family were all smokers, my friends at the time were all smokers, and I was a little curious. What they don't tell you in the anti-smoking literature is that, besides being harmful, nicotine is a drug that makes you feel good. So if you never want to smoke, don't ever try it, even as a lark.
gluingquarters
benjmd wrote:
ColdFire wrote:
I dont smoke. Its ok for men i think but i despise women who smoke.


Um, no. It's not okay for anyone to smoke. Lung cancer isn't the old bad outcome. Before it gets to that point, people can develop emphysema and various respiratory difficulties along that spectrum. In addition, nicotine use leads to cardiovascular events including heart attacks and strokes. Man or woman, you should not smoke cigarettes.

Maybe you think, "eh, I don't care if I die at 70 instead of 80." The problem with that is four-fold: (1) Other people, like your family, might care a little bit. (2) Lung cancer can hit you at 40. Forty is a LOT younger than 80. (3) It's not like dying from a sudden accident. Cancer and emphysema are horrible diseases that erode your quality of life and make your last years miserable. (4) While you're slowly circling the drain, the rest of us have to pay for your medical care and all the other societal expenses that are inevitable required to support you.

People talk about peer pressure, but if someone thinks poorly of you because you don't want to die young, go through years of suffering and painful physical declination, or hurt your family and friends... well, that's not exactly a peer whose opinion I would give much merit.


So, okay. "It's not okay for anyone to smoke." Why is it legal, then? Look, I know you want to be health conscious. By your logic, it's also not okay to drive over 45, because you could have a serious accident; it's not okay to eat fast food, because it can clog your arteries; it's not okay not to work out 30 minutes a day, because you need to do so to stay healthy--whatever happened to freedom of choice? Is this America, or boot camp?

I wrote a blog about this recently. I promised in the blog not to smoke around you if you promise not to give me grief about smoking. It's really, really easy for you to sit there and judge me, but you have never been in my position before--which is something I learned when I started smoking, because I used to say the same things. "Oh, why don't you just quit? That's so bad for you. I don't want you to die young, Grandma." It is bad for me. I've seen smokers' lungs. I know what can happen. I choose to do it anyway. If you think that makes me stupid, so be it--I can't really disagree with you except that I am in this body, I am in my life, and I have tried to quit smoking before and it's not as easy as it sounds.
bangala
hmmm almost 75% of voters are non-smokers, that's great, and I'm one of them.
creezalird
I don't smoke and won't/can't smoke..as I can't even stand the smell of the smoke from the cigarettes itself..it makes my stomach aching...
linangan
gluingquarters wrote:
It is bad for me. I've seen smokers' lungs. I know what can happen. I choose to do it anyway. If you think that makes me stupid, so be it--I can't really disagree with you except that I am in this body, I am in my life, and I have tried to quit smoking before and it's not as easy as it sounds.


I would beg to disagree. I have been smoking since I was 18, and I quit last year. Just like that. My dad had been smoking for more than 40 years, and then he quit. Just like that. If you really want to quit, it's a piece of cake. We didn't even do it gradually. My dad smoked half a pack the day before he decided to quit.

Of course, smoking is addictive, so if you find it really hard to quit, you might consider seeing a physician to give you advice on how to adjust your diet/activities to make it more conducive for you to stop.

And yes, if you fully know the consequences of what you are doing, then it is totally upto you. However, some would argue that you only think you are choosing to continue to smoke and the truth actually is that you're addicted and don't know it.
30lat
I don't smoke and I don't like the smell.
violetgnu
Tobacco? Not usually, maybe once a month in a social setting.
Heh.
I do live in Vancouver, though...
Terrible for your lungs, but I actually like the smell of tobacco, how different brands have different tastes. Rather like how some people enjoy the smell of gasoline, I guess, though I can't see anyone preferring Shell over Husky.
I also like the feeling of smoking. I just find it enjoyable. Nevertheless, I rarely smoke because of the cost and the various health problems.
brilliantbeauty
A definate no for me. It's weird, I find it repulsive in real life but I find it ridiculously attractive in photos and movies. I won't deny that smoking looks cool, with all the nonchalant poses you get from it, but when you weigh the health risks against it, in real life, it's a resounding no.
kidd
no i dont smoke ... smoking is bad and disgusting.. but some ppl dont think soo.. i wonder why?
Tvis
I used to smoke in university. At some moment I think a package of Marlboro's a day. I needed it before exams, it took away the stress, or at least that's how I felt it. Going out, smoking was great, in the clubs I really couldn't be without it. I didn't smoke in my place, because the smell would never get away. After university when I entered work I told myself to quit. And that's what I did. Before university I was a great sportsman. In university not at all, and after that I wanted to sport again. That's when I realized how bad smoking is. I couldn't sport anymore, lost all of my condition and it took me a long time before I could run again. My God, I swore never to smoke again. And I didn't...sporting is much more important to me. I'm glad more and more the cigarettes are being banned from public places, because I'm still smoking in some way if other people near me do that.
pClock
No, I don't smoke, not only because I'm caring about my health, but also the health of my fellows. It also sticks in your cloth each and every time you leave a bar or restaurant Rolling Eyes
I also think that smokers should ask for permission if they want to smoke in front of others....

pClock
docter O2
yes i smoke
i smoke 2-3 cigs daily.
well it all started during my exam days.
iwas supposed to stay awake during night and eventually got into this trap with my friends who were smokers already.now its hard to quit but i am trying and hope to be out soon.
chastise
There's something worth vomiting over about smoking. It smells disgusting. And also it tortures the people around them, because second-hand smoking is worse. I can't stand smokers at all.
Teddy1
creezalird wrote:
I don't smoke and won't/can't smoke..as I can't even stand the smell of the smoke from the cigarettes itself..it makes my stomach aching...


Exactly what he said Wink
bigdan
I don't smoke, never tried it, never will. Very Happy
Sadow
I used to smoke, but I stopped because my wife developed a lung decease and I'm afraid to smoke again when I see the horrible consequenses it can have. (by the way my wife never smoked she got the decease by taking medication for another decease...)
I think people start smoking because it is a social habit. It's usually a group thing. When you're not in a group you don't feel the urge to smoke. Atleast this is how I feel/felt about smoking.
Vinceą
no I don't smoke, I find it disgusting.
tijn01
I smoked for ten years and quitting is the most empowering thing I've ever done.......... It has been over a year since I craved a cigarette and four years since I smoked full-time....
Quitting is easy, the best advise I ever had was to read "The Easy Way to Quit Smoking" by Alan Carr, he smoked for fifty years before he quit so he's a good mentor...
There is not one singular reason why anyone should smoke. And, no you don't enjoy it, it doesn't relax you and you CAN quit!
Any people that smoke do it because they need a crutch to hold them up....
tijn01
AND, 'I smoke socially' is the worst excuse of them all! You smoke your just ashamed of it so just stop doing it, why would anyone think that smoking is social???
It repels most people leaving them thinking your an idiot for doing such a disgusting thing to your body....
boya
No, I neversmoke
I love my lungs.
tiboo211
I don't smoke but for 17 years, I had to breath my father's smokes. He smoked about 40 cigarettes a day!! Finally I think that I smoked more than him. Now I can't stand any kind of smokes anymore and fortunately I don't attend any smokers anymore.
m00tmuffin
Yuck--I don't think I'll ever even try. My mom quit smoking in college but unfortunately my dad has been waging a battle against quitting for years...good thing though is that I think he's been smoke-free for eight or nine months. I love being able to run and bike and stuff without wheezing or feeling out of breath, and I'd rather not lose that...or even chance the possibility of getting addicted by just trying it out once.
Coclus
I just hate the smell...iit everywhere, if u smoke.

A tip for smokers: Burn 5 dollars instead of every pack of cigarettes you smoke, this is at least not unhealthy Wink
creezalird
no and never..why? I can't even stand with the smell of the smoke..Besides they make my stomach ache..
srujanlive
The very word smoking makes me cringe. I hate the smell.. I hate the fumes. I still can't understand why people smoke. Most of them say to relieve tension. Is it true? Can it ever be true? I only find them getting tensed if they don't have a smoke. And what a damage they do to our lungs to. Smoking , for me , is the biggest turn off. I hate even meeting my grandfather just because he smokes. arrrghhhhh!!!
oleszka
I tried just one time. But decided not to smoke anymore... for what? to have bad health?
outofnicks
I started at the age of 18, 35 years ago and quit one year ago from tomorrow. Or was April 28 2006 my first day without a cig? Not sure. I should be celebrating my anniversary of quitting! Maybe go out and get drunk, another thing I haven't done in months. I'd be afraid of that craving which always got stronger when I drank.
For most of that 35 years, it was non-filter, roll-your-own cigs, about 20-30 per day. Cheap way to kill yourself compared to "factories" as a pack of filtered cigs were called. (factory-made as opposed to home-rolled).

Recent chest x-rays showed no cancer so guess I'm lucky in that regard but I can't run more than about 100 yards before running out of breath. I'm slowly trying to build up my strength over time and actually feel much better than I have in years. If I hadn't quit when I did, I have doubts I'd still be alive today.
shwetanshu
i dont soke
never will smoke
and had never smoked b4

and i think its disgusting for other ppl to who smoke
silviayguga
I only smoke at weekends
xiaozhu
ahaha i never smoked?
Lamppis
No. No. No. What is the deal in smoking. It is worthless to smoke. It just takes your health, money and friends.
volotao
Mrs Lycos wrote:
Do you smoke? If so, how many cigarettes a day? And one question attached to that is, how did you start smoking in the first place?
I would like to get some insights into this habit, and how people who smoke consider their habit.

I never smoked. I believe itīs unhealthy and harmful to the people around.
LeatherRose
Mrs Lycos wrote:
Do you smoke? If so, how many cigarettes a day? And one question attached to that is, how did you start smoking in the first place?
I would like to get some insights into this habit, and how people who smoke consider their habit.


I don't smoke
i think it smells gross, it taste gross when you kiss some one who does, it turns teeth yellow, it ages your body, it makes wrinkles around your lips when you get old..er like you kept your lips continously puckered for years, you cough up gross stuff from your lungs, you say..hey it won't give you cancer i'm one in a billion who smokes and it will anyways, if you smoke in your house it stains the colors of your walls, it weakens your amunity..but this should all be well known...
my parents smoked around my to much when i was a kid and i had bad athsma and constant bronchitus from it. when i went to a doctor to look at my lungs when i was 10, he told me that i had the lungs of a 40 yr old from being smoked aorund to much.
Tinevdh
i don't smoke, i'm allergic to it (if i wouldn't be allergic i still wouldn't smoke)
it's unhealthy, not only for yourself but also to other people, therefor i'm quite happy with the new smoking-rules here in belgium(you can't smoke everywhere you want it anymore)
tingkagol
i've been smoking since I turned 19. Now I'm 25. 6 long years. and I'm not proud. This thing I have going on is definitely not a 'social thing' as some of you have put it. This is a complete addiction.

It's even hard not to smoke for just one day.
creezalird
i love to smell on the raw cigar..
Cddhesh
I dont smoke.Also suggest others not to smoke.Smoking means burning your health and money and probably others health who inhale your smoke.So smoking is bad and should be banned completely.
satksri
Yes, I used to smoke at one time- 10 years ago. About a packet a day. Looking back, I feel it was driven by some kind of insecurity- being not at ease with oneself. It appeared to be an attempt to project an image ( a 'male' image, I guess). Years passed and I learned to accept myself- not just that but to revel in it. The urge to smoke simply left me. Now I think it is a real nuisance- to others as well as yourself. Just imagine, having to keep a track of your cigarettes and matches all the time!
sachin
twilightlover15
I think that smoking is just a waste of money. It takes years off of your life, and your PAYING to do that. Some people do it to look cool, but I personally think that it is digusting and looks ridiculous.
Also, you are helping kill other people by giving them second-hand smoke. Im sorry if i sound harsh, but I REALLY dont like it when people smoke. There have been too many people affected by it for me to even THINK about trying it.
aprivateaccount
nope, i even avoided places of smoking interest before the smoke ban in clubs.
but i do like to smoke seesha.
bconnect
No, i don't smoke, i would never torture my lungs and my physical condition by smoking.
tony
i said no to that poll. now must answer that question and i will also say zero!! that is because i do not smoke; at the same time i will understand those who do as it is so very difficult to quit that habit. and in time it will come if there is the diligence. but without and sometimes with, either is so difficult! a terrible thing it is; just bad.

please excuse the language. my english is new.
billgertz
I don't smoke. Its a waste on money and lifespan. although some people would consider it a status symbol, I still don't! period. hehe.
cvkien
i don't smoke but i did ever try to smoke, just wanna try how was it... and it was terrible. but the good point is i won't addict to it. smoke according to medical is harmful to our body. but just now i read a newpaper that a 101 years old lady who only smoke in her life. and that makes me wonder how true is that. but that is a real person. so, how smoke make her live so long??
patasarriba
I've probably smoked five cigarettes in my life. I must admit that it feels nice (there is, after all, a reason why so many people smoke), but it's expensive, bad for you, smelly, bad for the environment, and pretty disgusting. So I basically average one cigarette every two years. But my parents smoked when I lived with them, and now my boyfriend and best friend smoke, so I'm probably doomed to die of lung cancer anyway. Confused
aniston
i've smoked from cigars to weed.i don't do that any more cause i think it only kils you very slowly.
Molle
Uff, no. I have never tried it, and I'm hoping to keep it that way. And I'm to young anyway. You need to be 18 to be aloud to by smoke here.
russel26
i dont smoke... thats a bad health to us...
ariannefaye
Nope i don't smoke anymore but i used to hahah ... but then i have learnt smoking KILLS ROFLS Smile


and its bad for your teeth ... YUCK Smile
biljap
No, I donít smoke and Iíve never tried it. Some of my friends smoke and whenever I ask them what is so interesting about it, why they like to smoke, I always get the same answer: I donít know and I would never recommend it to anyone. But they continue to smokeÖ I donít understand. Some of them say that they will stop smoking when they start to feel that their health is damaged. Wonít it be too late?

Anyway, I donít like it and I donít like to be in a room where people smoke, everything I wear on myself start to smell awful.
jackiz
i do sometinmes. just "pary-smoke". its not often ..
It becomes like one cigarett /day. so its not much ..
zjosie729
I don't think anyone should smoke at all. But my dad used to, and I know a lot* of people at my school who smokes.

*a lot as in more than there should be.
pet-virus
Have never smoked, will never smoke.
tempdbs
Why Should I ?

When i've asked my Friends, some had told that to get relief from tension/work, they go for smoke.

Some other told that to completed the hectic work, they prefer smoking/drinking.

And Some funny guys will tell that they just have it for style...


Hey smokers....! To which category you belong....??
tijn01
I started smoking dope, than I added cigaretes, than quit with cigarete4s but increased the dope intake, then stopped the dope...... Isn't life funny as a teenager. Smoking is the most stupid habit. IT will provide a slow and painful dead and is extremely expensive both for the smoker and the health care system
Guelila
I dont smoke, and I dont think I ever will.
Many people at my school smoke like crazy, and they think its cool, but i dont see how smoking makes people cooler
misterXY
Tumbleweed wrote:
I smoke spliffs.......does that count ??? Razz

cant go wrong with spliffs Laughing
Mgmartin
I've been smoking for 3 years but I quit smoking 1 year ago, and it feels great!
MrBlueSky
tempdbs wrote:
Why Should I ?

When i've asked my Friends, some had told that to get relief from tension/work, they go for smoke.

Some other told that to completed the hectic work, they prefer smoking/drinking.

And Some funny guys will tell that they just have it for style...


Hey smokers....! To which category you belong....??


Why drink coffee? Why eat candy? Why take a walk? Why play games? Because it makes life more fun. Of course a lot of people smoke for the reasons you mention, but there are also people (like me) who smoke just because they like it. Nothing more, nothing less.

Yes, it is bad for your health and it is (a bit) expensive. So you have to decide for yourself: is the enjoyment it gives me more valuable than the drawbacks. Yes? Smoke. No? Don't smoke.

My 2 cents Wink
denemecik
I have 2 relatives 3 friends that quit smoking without using any medication or any staff like that. They have iron will. If you believe that you can do it I do believe you can do it.
denemecik
I you intend to quit and start to quit processing and going on its way God will help you.
Boffel
No, im not smoking...

Its ok that people smoke, but dont try to get other start...

The worst thing with smoking is when you are waiting for the buss and everyone fires up a smoke around you. Im allergic, so when people doing that its hard to breath.

For all smokers out there, please use your brain and stop smoking where other people is. Not everyone like it.

Hehe, I know it doesnt work to say this here, because none will care about it. And I think this is actually a very unnecessary thing to talk about, because it just doesnt have any effect...

But a bit interesting Rolling Eyes
Klaw 2
I don't smoke but maybe I'll try sigars when I am an wealthy bussines man lol, anyway as long as you smoke on rare occasions it does no harm.
rshanthakumar
Anything that hurts your body needs to be avoided. In case of smoke, you are not only hurting your own body but also that of the people around you. I think, it is important that such a thing is avoided.
molif
well, its easy for those ppl why don't smoke telling us smokies to avoid smoking..

its not easy giving up those sticks.. requires lots of determination.. I have to say, its not easy, but can be done..

however, we smokies ever wonder how we get into smoking the 1st place.. should have avoid that for the 1st time..
DizzyDesign
Smoker here. But not for more time cause its getting to expensive.
deanhills
I have been lucky as I have never taken to smoking. So feel sorry for my friends who are addicted to it and cannot stop. As I believe most modern societies are beginning to shun smoking. Especially since they have made studies that second hand smoking, i.e. inhaling other's smoking, is even more harmful for you.

I think I have come to the stage where I really do not like to be in the company of smoking, as it gets into your clothes and your hair. Especially if one has been to a pub it is almost as though you have to send all your clothing to the cleaners and have an immediate shower to get rid of the smell.

It is particularly annoying when people smoke in bathrooms and throw stubs into toilets as there is no worse smell than damp tobacco that has been extinguished. Also does not look good for people to dump their stubs on lawns and pavements. Probably better to put them in a dustbin after properly extinguished.
vineeth
I do smoke and I do not smoke !

I do not smoke regularly but sometimes, after bike riding in a very cold climate or rain, I do smoke.
my_love
makes your skin dry,makes you look old not to mention its hard to kiss a man who has a 'smoke-after' smell. Smile
takashiro
Of course not. That's the worst habit in the world!! I doubt why those smokers can't see how ugly they are when smoking!! I don't think it an honor to be able to smoke.
jesicarie
No I don't smoke. I think it's an absolutely disgusting habit, and I can't understand how someone would want to go through life smelling like the underside of a garbage can.
TVme
I smoke about a pack a day. Here in Southern California the laws are getting very restrictive. There is no smoking in any public building, not even in bars or clubs. I have found a high quality off-brand cigarette that's only $3.00 a pack, but otherwise cigarettes here are still heavily taxed. There is a large non-smoking movement in Los Angeles and there is talk of banning smoking in public at all, and many beaches are smoke free by law.
honeyflash
I don't, and I never will. I'm allergic. (eh, the good kind of allergy.)
Faraz
When I was very small, I found a cigarette on the floor one day and tried to smoke just to see how it tasted like (since I had used to see my father smoking and always wondered that). Well, it was a bad experience, so I never touched that thing again.
ehpc
I don't smoke. Cigarettes is poison.
Srs2388
i smoke still... i am now slowing down on it. too freaking expensive.
mgeek
I smoke. A lot. But I wouldn't want people to smoke. I started smoking back in the seventies when it was hip and rebellious to do so.
soljarag
nope, i dont smokie..... I have no idea why people even do it..... its very expensive and I just don't see whats apealing about it....
irfan_khan
used to .. quit long time...feel much better now... i think everybody should quit
Sphaerenkern
I don't like smoking and I'd like everyone to quit it Very Happy I'd say I don't like smokers either, but then I remember that smoking doesn't mean that you're a bad person or something... but I definitely don't like the young people who smoke because they think they get cool because of this suddenly.
mikakiev
I dont
joostvane
I don't smoke. Its bad for my health, and I have some kind of hypersensitive to it, since I had a prior disease that could be boosted by smoking again. But even if I didn't had the disease, wouldn't smoke anyway. Ofcourse for my health, and for the money :l)
mejo1900
I don't, but some of my friends have started since there became an indoor smoking ban in ohio...if there is a cute guy outside smoking they say it is a great way to start a conversation.
deanhills
I'm lucky. I have never been interested in smoking, even when most of my family have. Just looked like such a silly habit for me. The smoke and smell also attaches itself to everything, your clothes, your breath, stains your teeth, not to mention not being healthy. Not a good idea. My mom and dad had to stop smoking when they reached their fifties, as both experienced heart cramps. Think there is a theory about it that if you do not stop by your forties, that you would never be able to work the harmful substances, created by smoking, out of your body. All of it catches up with you in your later age when it manifests itself as disease.
thanhcat
I can smoke. I usually smoke 1 box of cigarette per day. The first time I smoked in the coffee shop. My friend invited me to try. So I start to smoke from that time.
bloodrider
I smoke but I'm stopping Smile
For now I've reduced the quantity of cigarettes and I can also pass some days without smoking, but I'm willing to really quit Wink
themarine
Um, no. It's not okay for anyone to smoke. Lung cancer isn't the old bad outcome. Before it gets to that point, people can develop emphysema and various respiratory difficulties along that spectrum. In addition, nicotine use leads to cardiovascular events including heart attacks and strokes. Man or woman, you should not smoke cigarettes.

Maybe you think, "eh, I don't care if I die at 70 instead of 80." The problem with that is four-fold: (1) Other people, like your family, might care a little bit. (2) Lung cancer can hit you at 40. Forty is a LOT younger than 80. (3) It's not like dying from a sudden accident. Cancer and emphysema are horrible diseases that erode your quality of life and make your last years miserable. (4) While you're slowly circling the drain, the rest of us have to pay for your medical care and all the other societal expenses that are inevitable required to support you.

People talk about peer pressure, but if someone thinks poorly of you because you don't want to die young, go through years of suffering and painful physical declination, or hurt your family and friends... well, that's not exactly a peer whose opinion I would give much merit.
mikakiev
Smoking kills!That what is written on every tobacco pack.
Smokers have more calculus (tartar) than nonsmokers. This may be the result of a decreased flow of saliva. Calculus is the hardened form of plaque.

Smoking tobacco products can make gum disease get worse more quickly. Smokers have more severe bone loss and more deep pockets between their teeth and gums than nonsmokers. In studies, smokers were three to six times more likely to have gum destruction than nonsmokers. Severe bone loss was five times greater among current or former heavy smokers than among people who never smoked.
Allbestmessages
I don't smoke
soljarag
i bet if we did this poll 15 years ago.. the numbers would be flopped
deanhills
soljarag wrote:
i bet if we did this poll 15 years ago.. the numbers would be flopped
Not sure what you mean by "flopped"? Do you mean that there would have been a much greater number of smokers?
Ashtray
No, never. I just don't like it. Respect the ones who o it, though.
Jintastic
ColdFire wrote:
I dont smoke. Its ok for men i think but i despise women who smoke.


i find that highly sexist.
I am a male but its okay for a Man to smoke but not a woman? it should be even no matter what.

No I do not smoke, Tried it once and just never liked it.
paskifire
I smoke but I'm willing to quit very soon. I admit, smoking is addictive but it's up to you if you can control your smoking habit.
biljap
I donít smoke and I donít like when I have to breathe the smoke. Mad Passive smoking is much worse than when someone choose to do it.
I donít understand the purpose of smoking... What is so nice about it?
programitv
I do not. In fact I enjoy a ciggarette or two from time to time (once in 3 months in average), but I`ve been doing this since 7 years or so.. and I wouldn`t smoke more often than that.

Besides, I have a friend that quit smoking one year ago, and he began by smoking less and less till he stopped at all. He was smoking around 20 cig. per day before.
mikakiev
I dont smoke and I dont see the reason for doing that.Smoking is not giving any advantages to people,does not stimulate brain and gives no benefits except lung cancer disability:(.Also smoking wastes people's money transforms them into the smoke and ash.
rodexa
I smoked for 35 years but due to COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Diseases) now stopped smoking.
Related topics
do u smoke or take drugs ( even for testing)
LOST
Smoke Kills!!!
DO YOU SMOKE CIGARETTES AND WHAT BRANDS DO YOU PREFER
Ban on Smoking
Fuel efficiency - 1.6 litre Optra - 12 km / litre
Do you see people differently if they smoke?
Willing to smoke ? Think again!@#$
getting rid of smoke damage
photoshop fire and smoke plugin needed
Brownian Motion Smoke Simulation
My First Smoke
Dark Smoke Art...
Smoke bombs
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> Lifestyle and News -> Health and Beauty

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.