FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

body=machine?

bartdou
Is a human body a machine with perfectly flawless functions?
I have this question for a long time, I do think the answer is YES! Our bodies and other animals' bodies are all machines created by the great nature, with or without emotion and intelligence. The body, in the other words the machine that have emotion or intelligence is more advanced, so I conclude that if our technology is advanced enough, we also can produce the machines with their own emotion and intelligence, just like the nature make us.
What do you think about this?
a.Bird
bartdou wrote:
I have this question for a long time, I do think the answer is YES! Our bodies and other animals' bodies are all machines created by the great nature, with or without emotion and intelligence. The body, in the other words the machine that have emotion or intelligence is more advanced, so I conclude that if our technology is advanced enough, we also can produce the machines with their own emotion and intelligence, just like the nature make us.

For one thing, our bodies are not perfectly flawless. We are susceptible to diseases and other illnesses. We age. Some of us have allergies. Secondly, if we are ever able to harness energy at an atomic level, then I'm sure we could do just about anything. I'm all for it. Let's stop killing each other and work towards something we can show for ourselves as a worldwide community, before this empire falls.
_VMX_
Of course our bodies are machines. It doesn't make a difference if we're made out of metal and lights or organic tissues and carbon atoms, we're just machines, only that we rely more on chemichal reactions, etc rather than mechanichal systems, and for some reason that makes us believe we're any different than the machines we make.

We're basically modelled down to a smaller scale than we're currently able to manipulate ourselves (human cells rather than screws, etc).

But still, human body is much more complex than any machine we'll be able to make in any near future. So far, we're much much closer to cloning ourselves (i.e.: take something that will already evolve into a human and modify it according to our intentions), than actually making something 'human' from scratch, which will hardly be possible to master at least in any reasonable time.

Emotions = Chemichal reactions, that's all.

Good luck if you attempt to make a human from scratch, but personally, I would better recommend you sex rather than lab work, works wonders.
Nameless
It depends how you define 'machine' to whether humans would could. Living organisms are generally regarded as machines, but if you loosen the definition there's no real reason why not.

And yeah, human bodies are FAR from flawless. Then again, so are machines.
gufan
I do not think so, because there are emotional and sentimental people, and machinery should not be treated the same way.
fpsaddict
I don't think so, because I like to think that machines are something we control. Only you can control your body, nobody else.
Also, machines run on a source of power. All we need is food and water.
Dean_The_Great
fpsaddict wrote:
I don't think so, because I like to think that machines are something we control. Only you can control your body, nobody else.
Also, machines run on a source of power. All we need is food and water.

All we need is food and water? That's like saying all a car needs is food and a battery! We are a machine. A biological machine. We take in fuel, we expel waste, and otherwise do very similar things to a machine. Of course, we do very biological things like reproduce and things like that, but now we're arguing the nature of the machine.

We're not flawless, but we're most certainly machine-like.
sibbahz
I definatly wouldnt say flawless. However humans are a lot more "clever" than any machine we have currently made.
a.Bird
sibbahz wrote:
I definatly wouldnt say flawless. However humans are a lot more "clever" than any machine we have currently made.

I'd be pretty annoyed if my computer decided to play games with me or hide files in different folders for kicks when all I want to do is complete a project at 3 in the morning. Laughing
_VMX_
lol, things we control? And what defines self control? An AI put into a robot isn't self-controlling itself? The fact that we make them with an on/off button doesn't make a difference. And the fact that we make them, and not the other way around, doesn't make a difference either.

Look, we're not talking about intelligence or anything like that right now, those are seconday things. Amoebas didn't have any intelligence near ours and still they were living beings.

We ARE machines, and emotions and feelings are nothing but chemichal reactions inside our body due to determined situations. Just like a mobile phone will beep when its battery is close to an end.

For some reason, people tend to believe that organic-like machines are bind to be living beings, while metallic and mechanic-like machines are more like, err, machines. But that's just a difference in the material we're made of. Also, we're not talking about complexity. An amoeba is not that complex, and still is considered a being over a nuclear reactor.

All we need is food and water? lol.

We need air, food, water and an appropiate environment. Other machines may need fuel, others may need CO2, others may need electricity, others may need [put whatever power source you want here]...

That's just a secondary thing, variables, details... pointless details.

The fact is we are machines, like it or not.
Jack_Hammer
a.Bird wrote:
bartdou wrote:

For one thing, our bodies are not perfectly flawless. We are susceptible to diseases and other illnesses. We age. Some of us have allergies. Secondly, if we are ever able to harness energy at an atomic level, then I'm sure we could do just about anything. I'm all for it. Let's stop killing each other and work towards something we can show for ourselves as a worldwide community, before this empire falls.

You stole what I was going to say...
Wink
snowboardude
perfection is relative. the human body is perfect to some, while not to others.

dying and sickness are part of the design