FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

What do you to calm down?

ivanegues
What do you to calm down? I mean when you are really mad or euphoric.
What works for you?

Im not very impulsive, and I know I would regret if I do something without thinking, so I try to stay quiet. Sometimes is too hard.

I would appreciate if you think about this and try your answer, when you need to calm, and then tell me.
Dezrok
For me, to calm down I usually listen to some mellow music.. Like something acoustic or maybe blues.
Sometimes I like to listen to something fast and just go nuts, so I'm calm and tired afterwards.

If it's calming down in situations you're talking about, I'd say I just step back from the situation, take a breathe and clear my mind of all the stuff that's making me...Well..Not calm.
ThornsOfSorrow
I usually throw and/or break things. It's not the most effective way, but it works the fastest. Breaking glass is especially effective. Then, after I've gotten all of my anger out, I paint so that I'm relaxed again (or at least no longer a psychopath).
Kaneda
Depends on the kind of "not calm". Although the "measures" all apply to each kind, they do it in different amounts and ways.

Anger or sadness - my girlfriend is good at making me look at the bright side, quiet down, relax. Friends too, in a different way. Talking about it, or just being there. Also being quietly creative, although it doesn't quite work as well.

Ecstatic (as you mentioned, never thought of it as "not calm") - I usually use that to be creative, perform, scream it out.

Stress - listening to or practicing music, reading books, riding one of the bikes, writing here (tends to get me all mellow, polite, considerate, non-aggressive and non-impulsive Wink) - all the "relax" stuff.

In general, the girl I love and expressing my feelings in whatever way, are the two that work best.

More lifestyle-wise... I'm very very impulsive, which means lots of mistakes made, but very few really regretted. Consciously decided over a decade ago that I would stop bothering with what people expect me to be. Which tends to make certain people, who don't know me, less calm than me. Or they'll just decide that I'm an over-confident jackass. Wink
ColdFire
What to do to calm down?? That's easy, think happy thoughts!!! Laughing
A little fairy dust will also help... Laughing
Keran
I meditate or i go out to train Le Parkour. Both help a lot
RT Cunningham
A nice, long walk usually does the trick. Staying in the same location doesn't help.
palavra
i read novels

it takes you to a different world

different people

make you relax

because i am really nervous

up to now

i read more than 1000s novels Laughing
Jakob [JaWGames]
When I am very angry and have the possibility I usually run some kilometres in an exhausting pace listening to some kind of fast, melodic music like powermetal.
If I don`t have the possibility to run I concentrate on the fact that I don`t get anything good out of losing the temper.

The best is to has such view of the world that you almost never come in that angry mood. It is something which is worth to work for.
Droop
ivanegues wrote:
What works for you?

Im not very impulsive, and I know I would regret if I do something without thinking, so I try to stay quiet. Sometimes is too hard.

I would appreciate if you think about this and try your answer, when you need to calm, and then tell me.

That would depend on what the argument was about, but if it is something that would let u get a way to clear ur head. that would be best - or just sitting back and letting the other finish talking about what they have on their mind.
tyrant
I smoke, then i eat chocolates.
(don't use my reason as an excuse to smoke.lol)

I'm also really impulsive. I say and do alot of things only to realise that it was not necessary. Needless to say, few regrets, i'm a stubborn and egoistic fellow that thinks he's always right ^^
roberpro
I try to think in one thing that i like or i enjoy doing, then if i cant calm myself i smoke, yes smoking its a good strategic if you are smoker of course.

Bye everybody
biedr0na666
they say that it is good to have some sugar.
no, really. if you suddenly hear something (e.g. your girlfriend has cheated on you etc. Wink) that makes you go crazy, it's good to have several scoops of sugar. this brings serotonine back to your brain. and makes you suffer less, at least physically....

but... anyway if you're really pissed off... you obviously wouldn't be thinking about sugar. c'est la vie..
HoboPelican
I have a number of things that calm me down.

I beat up some innocent inanimate object. (I did this more before I busted my hand on a metal cabinet.)

Meditate.

Thrash on my electric guitar.

Realize my anger is causing distress for my wife. (not something I DO, but the realization does it)

Chopping wood.

If I am angry enough that adrenaline is pumping, then I have to do one of the physical things to get it out of my system...Then I can meditate and get my head under control.
eggg
Sitting by a river in the woods with a bowl usually does the trick.

But maybe you don't smoke! Try sitting cross-legged -- or in lotus position, if you can -- relaxing every muscle, and clearing your mind completely. By that, I mean that if a thought starts to cross your mind, just drop it immediately and don't look back. At first it's very difficult, but eventually it gets easier and you'll find yourself going for long stretches of time with an utterly clear mind. Nothing's more relaxing than giving up your attachments.

Hope that helps.
Droop
biedr0na666 wrote:
they say that it is good to have some sugar.
no, really. if you suddenly hear something (e.g. your girlfriend has cheated on you etc. Wink) that makes you go crazy, it's good to have several scoops of sugar. this brings serotonine back to your brain. and makes you suffer less, at least physically....

but... anyway if you're really pissed off... you obviously wouldn't be thinking about sugar. c'est la vie..

LoL ur crazy, then u would be all ampped up, rather have a redbull or somethin hah. but yeah going to the gym - shotinpool (this actually helps me relax and unwind) or u know the fun stuff like . . . dancing Wink lol even thou i'm gettin old i'm still trashin on a skateboard or inline skate - hitting a trail on a mountin bike is always kewl Razz there's tons of stuff just gotta figure out what u like to do i guess... hp!!
Bradthepk
ivanegues wrote:
What works for you?

I Kill People!!!!

Jk
Droop
Bradthepk wrote:
ivanegues wrote:
What works for you?

I Kill People!!!!

Jk

Well that's not lawfull!!
cavey
I go for a long walk. It gives me the peace and time to think and sort my feelings. It also gives me time to find good arguments if I'm in a quarrel. Arguments that will not fail, because they are based on sense, not feelings. I also get fresh air and exercise wich both helps on the mood.
Citizen Kane
Eh,... what do I do to calmdown?

When I'm Euphoric; usually nothing. I tend to get euphoric in situations with other euphoric people. So I just let this go and just wait untill its gone.

When I'm pissed off? Depends on the situation. Usually I tend to communicate with people from whom I know wouldn't really piss me off just that easy. So when I DO get pissed off, I just talk about it. Say the things I want to say in a decent manner and then it just goes away.

But when I STAY pissed off... I usually try to imagine things I could do to get even with them. Just thinking about these things releases tension. I have bothered many a person in my mind.
bigwolf
cavey wrote:
I go for a long walk. It gives me the peace and time to think and sort my feelings. It also gives me time to find good arguments if I'm in a quarrel. Arguments that will not fail, because they are based on sense, not feelings. I also get fresh air and exercise wich both helps on the mood.

Go for a walk will help me calm down. By the way, I saw Diaphragmatic breathing technique to calm down from thttp://mentalhealth.about.com/library/howto/htbreathe.htm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here's How:
Breathe in through your nose on a slow count of three.
Push your stomach out as you breathe in.
Breathe out through your mouth on a slow count of six.
Repeat two more times.
Tips:
livilou
When I'm mad like that, I try some physical activity, which around here is usually cleaning the house. As long as everyone leaves me alone and let's me work it out myself, I'll be fine.
Rico
Drink less coffee, take deep breaths and exercise. Taking long slow and deep breaths causes your heart to beat slower because you combating your bodys fight or flight reflex. Exercise is a good one for burning off adrenaline. Avoid eating the meat of animals that died under traumatic conditions (abattoir), when they panic adrenaline is released into their system which becomes ingested by the end user. By breathing slowly and deeply you fool your body into releasing less adrenaline and thereby force it to be more calm. When you have control over your body you can start working on calming your mind down, this is a rise per size activity that depends on the level of control between individual and individual. If your thoughts are slippery and unresponsive you can try some magnesium chloride in your diet.
molif
when im angry..i usually lock my myself in the my own room and jump onto my bed and scream with my face on the bed itself, as loud as i can..

take my pillow and smash around and try to tear it apart.. after all, i don noe why im angry about and i just fall asleep..